NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Let me start out with an introduction, im a lumberjack from canada and am a newb to the grip world. My names Justin and have been a competitor in powerlifting and strongman for 5 years now. But my interests have always brought me back to grip. Ok enough about me, i have a few questions P.s im really not a lumberjack

Now i have grippers as well as sledgehammers and some homemade grip equipment, I was wondering if i should do the sledge and homemade grip equipment work on a seperate day as my grippers or should i incorperate them both into on session?

Hey my name is Justin Burns i am 21 years old and have been training strength for about 5 years now. I am a competitor in powerlifting and strongman but have always been really interested in the world of grip. i been idolizing members of this board for sometime such as paulknight and jedd johnson both extremly important in the world of grip and are great role models for the aspiring grip addict. I would also like to say that its great that there is a community for people who love to do this type of thing for us come and voice our opinions or get help on things that others might have insight on. Needless to say i will be a more then frequent postee on here

Keep crushin

Justin Burns

Good day everyone! My name is Richard, I'm 17 years old, and am a tricker. I am about 5'8 and weigh 127 pounds, but I am no weakling. I have a background in martial arts and have toyed with gymnastics, but am a strong advocate of weight lifting for all activities. I decided to play a sport senior year of high school and chose pole vaulting. This was great, I improved very quickly, about 11-12 feet in a month. I retained most of the information very well, but one didn't stick in my mind... always land on your back. I ended my extremely quick career with a torn acl, which I had surgery for 7 weeks ago.

So, in my time of only weightlifting with one leg (hey, I still squat and clean with one leg... and good form), I've started to concentrate a lot on pulling strength and grip. Mostly crushing, but I will work on pinching too.

I will join the US air force in about half of a year and become a physical therapist.

My goals right now are to get my left hand's grip as strong as my right, full planche position, and one arm chin up. I am so close to having the right arm, but my left is lacking. As to grip strength... I want to close a #3 CoC or higher in the next two years. Right now, I've just got the trainer and it has gotten easy. I don't have the money to buy #1 right now :p

Hi everyone! My name is Bryan Gallagher. 28 from KY, USA. 6'3" 250 lbs.

I have been working my grip/wrists since August of 2010 and am currently working with CoC grippers (closed #2.5 last month), doing One Arm DLs and static holds with a 1" Oly bar, some plate pinching/ spring clamp for thumbs, and wrist curls, wrist rollers, lever bar work for wrists. I have been weightlifting for 10 years, mostly bodybuilding Yates HIT style, but lately have been on a power lifting cycle based off of Ed Coan's routines. I have studied Muay Thai for 6 years and some grappling in the past few years, but have taken a leave from sports due to time constraints from college (M.S.) and working full time.

Early last summer I started to get bad forearm strains. I came to the realization that years of using lifting straps and avoiding wrist and grip work had made my lower arms a weak link that was starting to slow my weightlifting progress down. Shortly after a friend gave me a dept. store bought gripper to help rehab, which lead into finding Captains of Crush and other grip strengtheners. Now I am completely obsessed and can't wait to get started on the Rolling Thunder, some serious pinch work, and nail bending soon!

I know that with the elite grip community contributing to this board, it will become a great learning tool for me...Thank you

It's good to be a member now... My name is Mike Gile, been training grip at Metroflex for around 4 months. Enjoy taking tips on this stuff from Paul Knight, he is a great resource for grip training.

It's good to be a member now... My name is Mike Gile, been training grip at Metroflex for around 4 months. Enjoy taking tips on this stuff from Paul Knight, he is a great resource for grip training.

Good to see you and Nick on the board. Welcome!

I just started dabbling in grip training to improve my Jiujitsu. I watched a contest yesterday and I'm ready to take it to the next level.

hey names shalvin am 18years old very much interested in grip training as grip is important in martial arts,

right now im just using wrist roller and progressing

on it quite fast bt im also looking to get into pinch grip ex.'s and basically anything that'l really improve my grip strength in all/most areas

glad i found gripboard, been lookin around at some forums and theas loads of info t ha t'l be of good use.

Hi, all. My name is Jeff, 45, 5'11" 200lbs. I've been grip training -- likely overtraining -- for a couple years now. Daily, I use a Gripstik (3 sets each horizontal and vertical, 1 min), IM egg (2 sets of 12), IM expand your hand bands (50 ea), and a lever bar I fashioned out of an old loadable dumbbell (2 sets up/down - 20 reps, i set twist - 15 reps).

Twice a week, I pull on the Rolling Thunder. Until just recently I kept the weight at about 105 lbs and did static holds (15-20 seconds), but I've decided to up the weight and just see what I can do. Started out at 165lbs or thereabouts last night; successful with the right hand, not quite with the left.

I've also just this week added Fat Gripz to all my lifting workouts. I'd been using them only for rows, but now I add them to all my dumbbell workouts. Surprisingly, I didn't have to drop weight on many exercises. I just got a pair of farmer's walk handles, so I'll be adding those to my routine, as well. And in the summer, I'll be using IM sandbags and maybe a 100 lb Atlas stone, along with a 40lb war hammer.

Once every 5 days or so I do my full grip workout. I use both the baseball and softball from Torque attached to a loading pin for reverse wrist and forearm curls (70 lbs with baseball, 60 with the softball) - 2 sets each of 25-35. I use the IM pinch block, and seem to be stuck at around 45-50 (no chalk), 10 second holds. Likewise, I use the IM hub and believe I'm actually getting weaker on the thing: I've been at 30-32.5 for what seems like an eternity. I believe I hit 40 at one point last summer, but I've digressed. Very frustrating. Too, I use the IM anvil horn (old style), and go both overhand wrist lift and static lift and hold with hammer curl grip. I do about 50lbs for the static holds (10-15 seconds) and 35 for the lifts. And then the brick load mimic, 2 sets for 15 seconds with 17.5lbs loaded. I pinch grip and curl 2 10lb plates, 2 sets, 20 reps. These last two exercise are very painful to my left forearm; I have the equivalent of a shin splint in my left arm, so certain exercises that require me to go palm up with my left hand require a lot of teeth gritting. This also affects me when tossing a blob.

I use an IM Twist Yo' Wrist, 2 sets (lower and raise) with 22.5 lbs. Blob-wise, I'm using a 20lb and 30lb with relative ease (I often times will do front and side shoulder raises with the 20). Gripper wise -- which is how I finish the workout -- on a great day I can close the COC 2.5 with my right. Most days I'm at about the 2. I do negative holds with the 1.5 and 1. I do inverted negative holds with the 1 and the Trainer. I have to say, I don't particularly like the grippers, because they really hurt my hands. So I haven't been good about sticking with them. Consequently, I find myself always having to start over.

I've added a few specialty exercises to my routine, as well: I have a length of tow rope hooked to a 45lb kettlebell, and I use that to hammer curl (2 sets, 15 reps). I've also tied a piece of string to a 15lb plate and lift and hold that as best I can until the string slips. In lieu of wrist twists with a sledge, I use a 33 oz baseball bat weighted down with a 3lb donut. I'll also use this to pinch grip.

My goal in all this is simply to get as strong as I can. I have a 7-year old son who likes me to toss him around; it would be nice if I could still do it when he's, say, 13.

To that end, I'm looking to draw on the expertise of those on this board. I've plateaued on a number of exercises, so I'm looking for ways to get over certain training hurdles.

Thanks for allowing me to join your community.

Edited by JeffG

Welcome guys! And hey, don't try to figure out everything yourselves! You've found the place for all your traininginfo! It will save you a lot

of important time in progress. Train hard.

Hello everyone, My name is Frank Pizzo, I am 27 years old, 6' 242 lbs. I've been using grippers on and off since 2004, but have recently begun training hard and have been posting up some videos on YouTube to track my progress: http://www.youtube.com/user/cfpizzo01?feature=mhum. I joined the Gripboard for knowledge and advice from those who have "been there and done that". I've also been lifting weights since highschool, and have had moderate success in this area as well.

Hello All,

I'm Zach Cramer. I'm 30 years old, 6'4", 230lbs. I started training with weights in February of 2010, and grippers in December of 2010. I'm really pleased to have found this site, and have already gained alot of knowledge from all of you. Thanks for a great website, and for having me as a member of it!

Hi everyone,

My name is Paul Walker and i'm 33 from Melbourne Australia. I've been strength training since i was 15,

mainly for martial arts. Started to take grip training more seriously in the last 8 months or so and love

it. Started off with the vice gripper, then progressed to the IM 3, which i closed a few months ago. I'm

currently working on the 3.5 and am learning a lot from this forum and all the experienced members.

Glad to be here!

Hey Everyone,

My name is Justin Blatnik, 6'0", 215lbs Senior at Appalachian State University. Major in Exercise Science with a concentration in Strength and Conditioning and I am planning (find out in 2 days) to attend graduate school here at Appalachian State this coming fall. Been doing the lifting thing since high school for football and wrestling, played 1 year of small college football (not at App State), then had a knee surgery (not related to sports and not too serious) and then fell in love with all realms of Strength Athletics once getting into my major and doing research and getting back into rehabbing my knee. I am currently training for my first multiply powerlifting meet (1 month out) but have competed in raw powerlifting and the Scottish Highland Games. I love Strongman training and Olympic lifting too, with my goal to one day post respectable numbers in all four Strength Sports. I would like to be more into Strongman training right now but the gym I was going to changed owners and long story had to but Strongman on hold due to lack of implement access. But, using resources, I am lifting with 3 multiply pro powerlifters and learning all I can from them. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I am a NSCA-CPT and will be getting my USAW Level 1 Sports Performance Coach cert this weekend. With all this, I hope to one day own my own facility where I can train middle school to college age athletes in sports performance and also support and Lifting Team that has members that compete in all realms of Strength Athletics.

Now that you are bored to death if you have made it this far...I have just very recently gotten into grip strength training. AND LOVE IT!...so uncommon to the real world, but you have to be damn strong to do some great feats. Anyways, just love being able to add it to my arsenal of strength knowledge and I am a huge fan of competition so I will eventually find or host a grip competition to compete in.

So glad to find the site. Siked about the amount of knowledge and genuine individuals you can find in places like this. Thanks guys.

Hey Everyone,

My name is Justin Blatnik, 6'0", 215lbs Senior at Appalachian State University. Major in Exercise Science with a concentration in Strength and Conditioning and I am planning (find out in 2 days) to attend graduate school here at Appalachian State this coming fall. Been doing the lifting thing since high school for football and wrestling, played 1 year of small college football (not at App State), then had a knee surgery (not related to sports and not too serious) and then fell in love with all realms of Strength Athletics once getting into my major and doing research and getting back into rehabbing my knee. I am currently training for my first multiply powerlifting meet (1 month out) but have competed in raw powerlifting and the Scottish Highland Games. I love Strongman training and Olympic lifting too, with my goal to one day post respectable numbers in all four Strength Sports. I would like to be more into Strongman training right now but the gym I was going to changed owners and long story had to but Strongman on hold due to lack of implement access. But, using resources, I am lifting with 3 multiply pro powerlifters and learning all I can from them. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I am a NSCA-CPT and will be getting my USAW Level 1 Sports Performance Coach cert this weekend. With all this, I hope to one day own my own facility where I can train middle school to college age athletes in sports performance and also support and Lifting Team that has members that compete in all realms of Strength Athletics.

Now that you are bored to death if you have made it this far...I have just very recently gotten into grip strength training. AND LOVE IT!...so uncommon to the real world, but you have to be damn strong to do some great feats. Anyways, just love being able to add it to my arsenal of strength knowledge and I am a huge fan of competition so I will eventually find or host a grip competition to compete in.

So glad to find the site. Siked about the amount of knowledge and genuine individuals you can find in places like this. Thanks guys.

Welcome!

Hi everyone,

My name is Paul Walker and i'm 33 from Melbourne Australia. I've been strength training since i was 15,

mainly for martial arts. Started to take grip training more seriously in the last 8 months or so and love

it. Started off with the vice gripper, then progressed to the IM 3, which i closed a few months ago. I'm

currently working on the 3.5 and am learning a lot from this forum and all the experienced members.

Glad to be here!

Welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I used to be in this forum as pete1006 but forgot my account details so rejoined.

Just kinda getting back into grip, having previously been around the 3.5 lvl. And a certified MM2.

At the moment I can crush my BBSM which I think is about a 2.7.

My aim is to certify in the no.3 and to rise higher in the MM ladder. Also to maybe appear at irongrip 12 or 13.

Hope to reunite with some members here , bencrush, Sam solomi, mobster, and others hope your all doing well,

Pete

Hey all,

I used to be in this forum as pete1006 but forgot my account details so rejoined.

Just kinda getting back into grip, having previously been around the 3.5 lvl. And a certified MM2.

At the moment I can crush my BBSM which I think is about a 2.7.

My aim is to certify in the no.3 and to rise higher in the MM ladder. Also to maybe appear at irongrip 12 or 13.

Hope to reunite with some members here , bencrush, Sam solomi, mobster, and others hope your all doing well,

Pete

Pete, great to see you're back at it man! Always enjoyed talking to you and I still remember your visit to my garage to do some grip training in late 2006. You pulled 306lbs on the 1" vbar on your first try on that exercise. That's still the highest lift I've heard of on that for a first-time pull.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam Borkhus 25 Racine, WI

Been into grip strength for about 2 years thanks to an anatomy professor in college. Do mixed martial arts now so it actually pays off now. Love it to death. Been strength training for about 12 years now and love learning more and discussing it. Look forward to all the conversations to be had.

My name is Kevin and I do a bit of rock climbing. I was a lot more serious about climbing when I was younger.

I've been training with dexterity balls for about a bit over a month now and it seems to have helped with my grip strength at the climbing gym. I took a two week break from climbing due to illness, but continued training with the dexterity balls. When I returned to the climbing gym, I was astonished to find that I had not lost all that much strength. In fact, on my second time back after that two week hiatus, I was able to make progress on a route that had stymied me earlier.

Tommy here, 21 year old student and barman. 5'9" 185lb newbie. Aspiring judo player, rugby player and strongman amongst many, many other things.

I became interested in grip training after reading dinosaur training, the book which has set me straight on strength training (Cheers Brooks!). So far only ordered the #1 COC and worked up to 8 reps, gonna order the next one this week. Should I go for #1.5 or #2?

My aim is to build a top class grip to help me in sport and building strength.

Medium aim is to close the #3, long term goal to close the #3.5 or even the #4 aswell as similar strength in other facets of grip strength.

Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

Cheers dudes.

Hey everyone,

Glen here, 24 years old, work in law enforcement. 6'2" 235lb. Been powerlifting for a couple of years but interested in taking my strength to a different level. Bought the COC #1, #1.5 and #2 about a month ago. Was pretty happy that i could close the #2 straight out of the packet but now im just trying to build up reps so i can close the #3 within the year. And hopefully it will add to my powerlifting total.

Hi everyone. My name is Russ Lederman. I'm 55 years old and 5'9, 178lbs. I've tried to do various sports training all my life really. I sprinted the 100m in senior games a few years back, but using an old store bought hand grip brought me finally here to this board. A year ago after knocking out 50 reps with the basic cheapo grip that I had, I bought a Heavy Grip 200lb. I found I could get several reps and after a while 10. Yet nobody I knew could approach closing it. I then bought a 250 and 300. I can do the 250 3-4 reps from a no-set position, not quite getting 1 rep with the 300lb yet, but was working toward it and I will get it soon I believe.

Then I researched IronMind and COC at the advice of a Shot Putter friend, and ordered a new IronMind #3. it should arrive today! However, it seems I will not be able to get this closed based on article that gave comparisons between brands. But it will be something I can work toward and if I do get it, I will seek board certification here, and I suppoose go for certification from IronMind. Currently I play 55+ softball. After working with he grip that I have now a day earlier, it adversely affected me at the plate so i better plan on training later in the day that I played, to allow max recovery over the weekend. What I like about the grip feat is that there is no trick to it!! You either do it or you can't. It's fun to see others try two hands and I just crush it with one no problem. Will keep you posted on the #3. I may have to buy an easier Ironmind grip if the #3 is way outta my league. Priority mail should get it here today!

Hi everyone. My name is Russ Lederman. I'm 55 years old and 5'9, 178lbs. I've tried to do various sports training all my life really. I sprinted the 100m in senior games a few years back, but using an old store bought hand grip brought me finally here to this board. A year ago after knocking out 50 reps with the basic cheapo grip that I had, I bought a Heavy Grip 200lb. I found I could get several reps and after a while 10. Yet nobody I knew could approach closing it. I then bought a 250 and 300. I can do the 250 3-4 reps from a no-set position, not quite getting 1 rep with the 300lb yet, but was working toward it and I will get it soon I believe.

Then I researched IronMind and COC at the advice of a Shot Putter friend, and ordered a new IronMind #3. it should arrive today! However, it seems I will not be able to get this closed based on article that gave comparisons between brands. But it will be something I can work toward and if I do get it, I will seek board certification here, and I suppoose go for certification from IronMind. Currently I play 55+ softball. After working with he grip that I have now a day earlier, it adversely affected me at the plate so i better plan on training later in the day that I played, to allow max recovery over the weekend. What I like about the grip feat is that there is no trick to it!! You either do it or you can't. It's fun to see others try two hands and I just crush it with one no problem. Will keep you posted on the #3. I may have to buy an easier Ironmind grip if the #3 is way outta my league. Priority mail should get it here today!

Good luck man ! It seems that you already have a strong background in handstrength !!

Tommy here, 21 year old student and barman. 5'9" 185lb newbie. Aspiring judo player, rugby player and strongman amongst many, many other things.

I became interested in grip training after reading dinosaur training, the book which has set me straight on strength training (Cheers Brooks!). So far only ordered the #1 COC and worked up to 8 reps, gonna order the next one this week. Should I go for #1.5 or #2?

My aim is to build a top class grip to help me in sport and building strength.

Medium aim is to close the #3, long term goal to close the #3.5 or even the #4 aswell as similar strength in other facets of grip strength.

Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

Cheers dudes.

Go for a #2. Challenge yourself !