NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello everyone,

My name is Tommy, I go by the handle 'Oak' on most forums. I learned about this forum from a member on Sherdog named DevilsSon, who has somewhat inspired me into grip training.

I am 30, married with 2 kids, and an Ironworker by trade. My first attempt at the CoC #1 I was able to do 15 reps, so I ordered the #1.5 and #2. I was able to get 2 reps on the #2 at my first attempt, and will be using that as my working gripper from now on.

My goal is to close the CoC #4, and keep awesome grip strength for the rest of my life. I've been browsing this forum today and the level of awesomeness here is insane. I hope to make some friends here and become an active member.

-Oak

Hi, my name is Alex. I have been doing powerlifting for the past 9 months or so and I registered for this board because I was interested in grip strength and possibly adding some grip stuff into my routine. My grip is actually kind of weak relative to the rest of me and it is holding me back on my deadlift, so I am definitely interested in finding some helpful suggestions! Besides, having a strong grip is just badass.

hey, my name's Michael Leiva and I'm 23 yrs old. I played football and wrestled in high school. I'm 6'0 and 180 pds.

I've messed around with grip training a few times but it never lasted more than a couple of weeks until this last time that i got back into it. I'm kinda addicted to it. I always want to train my hands more than i should and unfortunately I learned a hard lesson in over-training. (I'll leave that for another post) What originally got me into grip training was when a kid I used to know tore a phone book in half. I thought it was the craziest thing in the world. I soon figured out how to do it but didn't really like the fact that almost anyone that new the trick to it could do it. So i wanted to do something that did require crazy hand strength and that's when I came across a real phone book tear and tearing decks of cards in half, closing the 3 and 4 grippers, rafter pull-ups, etc.

I currently own the CoC trainer, 1 and 2.(I am about a 1/4 inch from closing the #2) I have the Gripmaster pro heavy tension, several other grip equipment and just a couple of days ago i bought a 6lb sledgehammer that I can't wait to start using.

I would love to be able to rip and bend anything I can get a hold on but the first goals that I would like to accomplish are:

1. tearing a phone book in half without bending it

2. tearing a deck of cards in half

3. closing the CoC #3

4. rafter pull-ups

Hello you all,

I'm from Hellsinki Finland. I bought my first coc gripper few months ago..then I bought coc3 (level I'm at the moment) and then coc3.5. Now I still own two more to go. Those two might take some time but I'm not in a hurry.

Hello you all,

I'm from Hellsinki Finland. I bought my first coc gripper few months ago..then I bought coc3 (level I'm at the moment) and then coc3.5. Now I still own two more to go. Those two might take some time but I'm not in a hurry.

Patience and hard work will do it ! Good luck!!

gday gripsters,

my name is Mark and I'm fairly new to strength/grip training despite being in my mid-forties. my current training is an abbreviated 5x5 routine which includes trapbar deadlifts (or squatlifts whichever you prefer) and soon I think I'll be giving 5/3/1 a go. I train with weights once a week, I do sandbag once a week and then I have a dedicated grip session once a week (sometimes twice). usually my gripwork is levering, wrist roller, grippers and Rolling Thunder though not all at once in the same session. I live in Sydney Australia and I've been lurking here for quite some time.

Edited by chilliman64

• 3 weeks later...

Started grip work a little over a year ago. I've been creeping around the board for about that long but this is my first time posting. I don't do much in the way of weight lifting, relying mostly on body weight exercises. Currently I am working my way through RRBT.

My name is Kevin and have just recently got interested in grip training due to my focus on massage therapy. I'm 6'6" 340lbs and do mostly weightlifting 3-4 times a week. I just purchased a regular harbinger gripper for warm ups to the CoC Trainer and #1. During my weight lifting routines, my ARMS day normally includes hammer curls, reverse curls, and wrist extensions/curls. I plan on making a wrist-roller out in the near future (not paying $20 for a pipe with a piece of rope through it) and including that on a regular basis.

So far, I've been using my Harbinger gripper for 3 sets of 30 on each hand. Then I'll close and hold them for as long as I can. Then flip them over and do the same thing. This is always after my workouts.

For being so big, my forearms are quite small. I'm looking to bulk them up a bit as well as strengthen my grip and increase indurance for the hour-long massage sessions.

I'm looking forward to the good advice that I can glean here at the GripBoard.... and also looking for my CoC's so that I can move up to #2 and #3.

My name is Kevin and have just recently got interested in grip training due to my focus on massage therapy. I'm 6'6" 340lbs and do mostly weightlifting 3-4 times a week. I just purchased a regular harbinger gripper for warm ups to the CoC Trainer and #1. During my weight lifting routines, my ARMS day normally includes hammer curls, reverse curls, and wrist extensions/curls. I plan on making a wrist-roller out in the near future (not paying $20 for a pipe with a piece of rope through it) and including that on a regular basis.

So far, I've been using my Harbinger gripper for 3 sets of 30 on each hand. Then I'll close and hold them for as long as I can. Then flip them over and do the same thing. This is always after my workouts.

For being so big, my forearms are quite small. I'm looking to bulk them up a bit as well as strengthen my grip and increase indurance for the hour-long massage sessions.

I'm looking forward to the good advice that I can glean here at the GripBoard.... and also looking for my CoC's so that I can move up to #2 and #3.

Welcome Kevin !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Alex,age 41 from the UK.I used to powerlift many years ago,but only recently started training again.I can rep a COC 1 and nearly close a 2.I am looking to focus my training mostly on grip,with a few squats thrown in.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Alex,age 41 from the UK.I used to powerlift many years ago,but only recently started training again.I can rep a COC 1 and nearly close a 2.I am looking to focus my training mostly on grip,with a few squats thrown in.

Welcome Alex !

Hello people:

My name is Carlos F. Rivera Pagan, I'm from Puerto Rico, I play baseball since I was 6 years old (I'm now 28 years old), got dratfted in 2000 on round 13 by the Phillies and play for 2 years. I'm 5'11'' and now weight 241#, I got some weight since I began to train for powerlifting since January of this year. Since I'm still a baseball player (a slow one due to my weight now) I have always train my arms really hard, and specially my grip.

But was until I found some videos in youtube on June 2009 of someone closing a gripper and talking about certifications and other gripping stuff that I start to look foward in this unknown grip world for me. I order IM CoC #2 and #3 on July 2009 and close the #2 the first time I attempted thanks to my previous grip training for baseball I think. But when I tried to close #3 I thought that has to be a joke to make a gripper so hard, remember I never tried anything similar before, so I start to really train my grip with differents tips I found from time to time in differents websites, and finally making the first #3 close somewhere at the beginning of November. Finally at December I got cert on the CoC #3 and I was the last person who got cert on #3 last year. I'm working now to close the #3.5 but I'm having some trouble with the last 3mm. I guess with some patience I will do it.

Here is a video that I took at my job:

Thanks for having a great forum like this on internet.

I remember well the article on the Ironmind website. Congrats for this feat of strength !!

Best of luck with the 3.5 !

I remember well the article on the Ironmind website. Congrats for this feat of strength !!

Best of luck with the 3.5 !

Thanks my friend!!

Hello all,

My name is Trevor. I'm 5'10" 165lbs 25 years old, and I'm addicted to grip training. About 4-5months ago I started doing light workouts to get back into shape and have lost about 15lbs so far. I've never been much of a lifter or a grip fanatic until then. I picked up an old plastic hand gripper and started repping with it while in my car. I got up to 60 and figured that more than that was just insane, so began my journey into a grip obsession. I found out about the CoC grippers through another website and proceeded to try my luck with the sport and trainer first, and found them too easy so i got the #1 and the #2. It's taken me a couple months to be able to just barely be able to close the #1, but I'm progressing slowly but surely. Then found this grip board recommended for people obsessed with grip/grip training so decided to check it out.

I'm by no means strong, but I am a lot stronger than I was 4-5months ago and looking to get much, much stronger with some training. Some of my pathetic weight lifting PR's include 135lb Squats/Deadlifts (need to buy more plates), I can't close the #1 gripper regularly but have once with each hand, I'm pinch gripping 33lb plate, and a 25lb dumbbell by the head. I am trying to get a lot stronger and have set some short term (6month-year) goals of: being able to close the CoC #3 gripper (#4 Eventually), Deadlift/squat >300#, curl 40lb dumbbells, as well as pop some cans, card deck tearing, and many more grip feats.

I workout in my garage on a power rack that the previous owner left with a few rusted plates and an olympic bar.

I look forward to learning from all of you and getting as strong as I possibly can while building a killer grip!

Hello everyone,

I haven't really started grip training yet, because I didn't know how to go about training with the CoC's (I didn't know if the same principles applied as they do to squats, deads, bench, etc.). I managed to just barely close the CoC #1 with my right hand as soon as I got it out of the box, and my goal is to ultimately close the #3. I have the #3 and can only close it about 1/4 of the way, and the #2 about 3.5/4. I always do my deadlifts without straps and only chalk on my hands, and my grip has never failed me. So I figured I had pretty good static grip strength but my dynamic grip is what I really want to work on.

Stats are:

Height; 5'9.25"

Weight; 175lbs

Bf: ~20%

I've got long limbed morphology so I don't know how this will affect my gripping since I figure my forearms are more long than they are compact and wide. Wish me luck folks and I can't wait to learn from you all!

Hello everyone my name is Richard Bean and I am a new member to the gripboard. I am 28 years old and live in Central Square, New York. I started grip training and short steel bending just about 8 months ago now. Since I began in November of last year I have bent teh IM Red Nail in leathers and certified my way through FBBC all the way up to the Bastard Nail in single leathers. I have closed the CoC #2 4x with my right hand and working on ccc it currently with the goal of certifying on the CoC #3 someday. I also enjoy ripping decks of cards as I have done 80 at once, notched, cornered, halved and quartered, behind back, in box, and even with oven mitts. I also enjoy ripping phone books popping, shearing and grip-n-rip depending on thickness of book. I have ripped 2300 pages with teh popping technique. Grip-n-rip maybe 1300 pages. I have ripped license plates bend wrenches and whatever else I feel an urge to destroy at teh time. I have really dedicated a lot of time into this and find it realy fun and exciting and love to watch everyone elses accomplishments as well. Every 1/2 inch off an old pr and every extra rep on a hand gripper is an awesome victory and I cannot wait to see how far I can go in this "sport". Most of my friends and family consider it a hobby but I take it a lot more serious than that. Anyway I would love to hear from you guys and listen to your opinions, suggestions, and view accomplishments this is why I joined to talk grip and develop techniques and maybe tweak my own style a little bit. I am currently training for the IM Red Nail certification and could use all the help I can get from anyone willing to share with me. Hope to hear form you all soon.

Rich

Welcome on Gripboard Richard !

I wish you good luck with your training to prepare for the Red Nail certification.

Welcome on Gripboard Richard !

I wish you good luck with your training to prepare for the Red Nail certification.

Thank you very much Joefrey....

Hello everyone my name is Richard Bean and I am a new member to the gripboard. I am 28 years old and live in Central Square, New York. I started grip training and short steel bending just about 8 months ago now. Since I began in November of last year I have bent teh IM Red Nail in leathers and certified my way through FBBC all the way up to the Bastard Nail in single leathers. I have closed the CoC #2 4x with my right hand and working on ccc it currently with the goal of certifying on the CoC #3 someday. I also enjoy ripping decks of cards as I have done 80 at once, notched, cornered, halved and quartered, behind back, in box, and even with oven mitts. I also enjoy ripping phone books popping, shearing and grip-n-rip depending on thickness of book. I have ripped 2300 pages with teh popping technique. Grip-n-rip maybe 1300 pages. I have ripped license plates bend wrenches and whatever else I feel an urge to destroy at teh time. I have really dedicated a lot of time into this and find it realy fun and exciting and love to watch everyone elses accomplishments as well. Every 1/2 inch off an old pr and every extra rep on a hand gripper is an awesome victory and I cannot wait to see how far I can go in this "sport". Most of my friends and family consider it a hobby but I take it a lot more serious than that. Anyway I would love to hear from you guys and listen to your opinions, suggestions, and view accomplishments this is why I joined to talk grip and develop techniques and maybe tweak my own style a little bit. I am currently training for the IM Red Nail certification and could use all the help I can get from anyone willing to share with me. Hope to hear form you all soon.

Rich

Welcome, Rich! Sounds like you're pretty well seasoned in grip with all your ripping and bending! Much passion, that's awesome. Do you have any videos on YouTube? You really should if you don't!

I'm sure you'll find LOTS of good info on here. There is a wealth of knowledge from a lot of really great people.

Again, Welcome.

hi im Ben i am 17 5,8 152 pounds i been doing grip training for less then a year its been kinda on and off with it. when i first started i could only close the trainer for 3 in my right and 1 in my left now i can close the #1.5 for 7 in my right and 1 in my left (im training my left with the number 1#). i can pinch 4 10 pound smooth plates together in both hands and 2 25 pound plates in both hands. my goals are atm is to close the #2 for reps in both hands and to pinch 2 35 pound plates.

Hello everyone, I'm from Alberta Canada, I'm 24 years old, 6'3'', 210 lbs. A few years ago I started playing with those cheap plastic grippers just squeezing them as much as possible. I can now get 11-12 reps out of the COC #2, and am working on closing the #3. I joined this site to expand my grip training!