NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

hello my real name is rob but sherman tank refers to a back condition called shermans kyphosis/diesese where the back is hunched funny seeing that i am about 6'3" and my weight is anywhere between 300-320. anyways i have several compression fractures and a little arthritis back there so i had to stop alot of my powelifting and power-building but i all ways loved strength feats evan as a child i would pull small trees from the ground. don't have alot to claim i have riped a phone book and deck of cards exploided a can of soda (two hands)and when at bbqs i take beer caps and bend them inbetween my pointer and middle finger base and i just compeated in my first armwrestling tournament. plus i am a huge information maniac so thank you for all the great reads on here

Hi all, I'm from Glasgow, Scotland. I'm 30 years old 6ft 163lbs. I bought the 1.5 gripper a few years ago and closed it right out the packet. I attribute this to years of non-reverse grip deadlifts. I can TNS the original CoC 2 I bought but cannot close the newer 2 I bought this year which feels more like an easy 2.5, getting the handles to 3mm at the present time with a credit card set. I work with spring loaded grippers and machines twice a week. With the spring loaded grippers, I first try one or two CCS attempts with a gripper I am close to closing. After this, I do strapholds until I can't do any more. I then usually do some work on the Titans telegraph key and some wrist rolling. My other workout consists of 10 reps on a home made "secret weapon" (or as many as I can until I reach 10) Then increase the resistance by 0.25kg until I can do 10 again. The handle ratio is 6.85 to 1 so a little weight goes a long way!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My name's Scott and I figure I'll do some grip stuff while my neck injury is healing. I usually lift weights, but I'll be off for a couple months probably. I got a CoC#1 and so the first goal is to outgrow it.

Hello,

I'm new here to the GripBoard but not new to grip training. My name is Logan Christopher. I do a wide variety of grip training and feats of strength. My biggest current goal is moving toward the Red Nail. I can do Grade 5 bolts easily but have not yet got a Grade 8. Also currently having a lot of fun playing with block weights. I'm looking forward to joining the group here.

Hi Logan! :)

Really good to see you on board here my friend.

You're a great addition here.

WELCOME!!!

Hello,

Been a member for a couple of weeks and have picked up a lot of useful information in that time. I'd like to give big thanks to all the contributors here!

Today's a good day to write an intro post as I successfully closed the #2 for the first time! When I first started grip training a few months ago I got addicted and managed to overtrain pretty severely and as a result I came down with tendinitis in both wrists. I had to take a break for 4-5 weeks to recover and today was only my second grip workout after I deemed it ok to start gripping again. Seems my strength actually increased during the break, not unheard of I guess.

I now begin the journey towards #3!

HEY THERE. I'M NEW TO THE BOARD. I'M GLAD I FOUND A FORUM DEDICATED TO THIS SORT OF STUFF. I BECAME INTERESTED IN GRIP TRAINING WHEN I WAS TAKING A PHYSICAL EXAM FOR A JOB IN LAW ENFORCEMENT ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO. ONE OF THE COMPONENTS OF THE TEST WAS TO SQUEEZE A DYNONAMETER(SPELLING?) THE MAX SCORE YOU NEEDED WAS 140 AND I SQUEEZED A 190. THE GUY ADMINISTERING THE TEST SEEMED IMPRESSED AND SAID I HAD ONE OF THE HIGHEST NUMBERS HE HAD SEEN. FROM THERE I GOT INTO THE COC'S AND PROGRESSED PRETTY FAVORABLY UP TO CERTIFYING WITH THE #3. I'M CURRENTLY AFTER THE COC 3.5. MY GRIP TRAINING HAS BEEN A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR SO I'M CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING TO GET SOME IDEAS. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING WHAT THE OTHER MEMBERS HAVE TO OFFER.

JAIME MCEWEN

Hello Everyone.. I wasn't gonna post any of my stats since I feel like low man on the poll but everyone here seems cool so.... My name is Scott, 5-10 185. Been a pro armwrestler for 20 years (highest placement 3rd at the nationals in 1998). I don't have the crushing grip that most of you have but many have found my fingers very hard to open when armwrestling. I have closed the #2 for 10 solid reps, Plate curled a 35lb plate for 3 reps and I used to be able to do a 1 arm pull up using a rock hold. Besides armwrestling I love rock climbing, mma and this year found the addiction of the gyroball.

Goal is to get my hand & wrist to not move and give Mr Klemba one more hard pull.

Hello all, my name's Gordon and I'm new to grip trainning. 5'11 200 lbs. Been lurking on the boards for a bit to avoid asking questions that have been answered before and in the process have picked up some good tips. Found these boards after reading some articles on one arm chin ups. Not surprisingly my long term goal is to do a one arm chin up. I'm still developing a grip trainning routine - currently alternate between #1 CoC overcrushes and #2.5 CoC negatives and pinching 2 25 plates. Not rushing as I don't want to get injuried. It is very addictive though. Hoping to close the #2 CoC comfortably with each hand before 2011- that's the short term goal.

Hello everyone, names Ted, former Marine. Training with kettlebells and BW exercises right now. I have limited equip. Will soon be bending. I came to this forum to find the best info and support I can get to reach my goals. Thanks for reading.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to grip training so just cruising around to try and soak up as much info on the subject as possible. I'm 28, 5' 11" and 210lbs and have a very poor grip! I've been doing weights for a few years now but recently I've become fascinated with grip as its the one thing that seriously lacks. I've ordered a CoC Trainer which will be arriving any day now and I'm already putting together some pinch exercises to get me going. One question I've got for anyone is: Does anyone have John Brookfield's Mastery of Hand Strength and if so, wouldyou would recommend it for beginners?

Thanks

Mark

Hello everyone my name is Skyler. I've been a personal trainer for 10+ years and have recently gotten into grip training as an extension of bouldering. I've been athletic all of my life (6'3" 175; been as heavy as 219 but didn't like being that bulky. I was very strong though!), but I've never specifically trained any aspect of my grip. Occasionally I'd do some wrist rolls or forearm curls but never anything specific. Heavy deads gave me enough strength to boulder a V5+ in < 2 months of climbing, so I feel that lots of specific grip work will improve my climbing and my gym strength as well.

I have little interest in maximum crush strength; most of my training as been pinch oriented, static digit strength, hub lifting, and heavy finger rolls. Thanks to this board, I'll get my hands on a Bomb to further my grip power. It's always motivating to see individuals much, much stronger than myself.

Hi, I'm Daniel. I'm 27, 6'2", ~170lbs. I've been rock climbing for about 1.5 years and love it. Having recently discovered the world of hand strength, I've been swept up like many others into more focused training of the hands. Last week I received my first grippers, CoC T, 1 and 1.5. I've found that leftie is weaker than I thought but I was happy to rep the 1.5 for 2 sets of 10 with rightie. I've ordered the next three grippers and I hope I can work my way to a cert.

I've just discovered the Gripboard and will be browsing around. Great forum!

Off newbie topic but still funny:

I was being trained by a coworker to run a different chemical plant (I'm a plant operator). One task he showed me was to use a plastic paddle to clear a chute from plugging up. He was freaking out that I might drop that paddle. I explained I hang by finger tips on 1/4" edges and less for climbing. But he still thought he was the tough snot and I would screw up and drop the paddle. I think letting him squeaze a gripper or two will humble him.

Hi! I want to introduce myself. I'm a 42 year old female from southwestern PA. I'm interested in strength sports and thinking of trying grip. Someday I'd like to try a grip contest.

I need some training ideas. I don't have access to alot of equipment or the funds to buy it. Maybe you guys can suggest ways for me to improvise.

Which brand of grippers is used in most contests? Which level of gripper is considered good for a woman to close?

I just want to reach my God-given potential and remain totally clean. Never have and never will try any steriods or other PEDs.

What events will be included at Gripmas 2010?

Hey Beth, nice to see some more females getting into the sport. The type of grippers most used in contests would more than likely be the Captians of Crush grippers or the Beef Builders. I would probably say that a #2 Captians of Crush would be world class for a woman. Follow the link to the Gripper Superstore on the home page and Wade can hook you up with every gripper you could imagine.

• 3 weeks later...

im Rob, im 18 and have trained pretty casually until fairly recent, i do more powerlifting training but i enjoy training grip too.

ive only recently started training with grippers and grip in general, ive been doing the beginner workout suggested on this site for a couple of weeks and only today i did some gripper work again, a couple of weeks ago i could just about close the #2 CoC with my right hand. Today i close it for 8 singles and a set of 3 at the end, all done to the credit card width or more.

I have a question though, I was planning to buy another gripper so I have a goal gripper, but I'm not sure whether to get the #2.5 or the #3, would the #3 be too much as a goal gripper if i can only close the #2 for 3-4reps?

my goal is to try and get certified on the #3 as a teenager, I have just under 2 years until im 20 so i feel its an achievable goal :)

figured i'd post this here, i got my #2.5 today and trained with it, i did 4 singles with it and got about 2-3mm off closing each time, all done CCS, hopefully get this one closed soon :)

figured i'd post this here, i got my #2.5 today and trained with it, i did 4 singles with it and got about 2-3mm off closing each time, all done CCS, hopefully get this one closed soon :)

Congrats! It'll go soon for sure so you may as well get ordering 1 or 2 heavier grippers now :-)

Beth,

Where in southwest PA? My wife(Mary Ann McKeague) and I are in Forest Hills, right outside Monroeville. she's been training with me for a bit now and I know she'd like to have some more women to compete/train with. PM me and I'll get you her email.

brent

Hi! I want to introduce myself. I'm a 42 year old female from southwestern PA. I'm interested in strength sports and thinking of trying grip. Someday I'd like to try a grip contest.

I need some training ideas. I don't have access to alot of equipment or the funds to buy it. Maybe you guys can suggest ways for me to improvise.

Which brand of grippers is used in most contests? Which level of gripper is considered good for a woman to close?

I just want to reach my God-given potential and remain totally clean. Never have and never will try any steriods or other PEDs.

Beth,

Where in southwest PA? My wife(Mary Ann McKeague) and I are in Forest Hills, right outside Monroeville. she's been training with me for a bit now and I know she'd like to have some more women to compete/train with. PM me and I'll get you her email.

brent

Beth, Brent is very knowledgeable. He and his wife can steer you straight here. Welcome to the board.

Jedd

Bradford County, PA

Grippers in chokers

Two Hand Pinch

Axle DL

Medley

Sledge Levering

I think I need to post more information in the Gripmas Carol thread - look for it soon. Did we meet once at a nursing home in Pittsburgh? Brent and Mary Ann are great people - hooking up with them if possible will really get you a good start in the sport.

Edited by climber511

Grippers in chokers

Two Hand Pinch

Axle DL

Medley

Sledge Levering

I think I need to post more information in the Gripmas Carol thread - look for it soon. Did we meet once at a nursing home in Pittsburgh? Brent and Mary Ann are great people - hooking up with them if possible will really get you a good start in the sport.

Beth - I just posted some additional information about Gripmas in the Gripmas Carol 2010 Thread.