Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

I just noticed that was a body weight lift. 96kg @ 96kg. Awesome!

Thanks. Yeah I was doing 205 at a BW of 180. I bulked up and haven't pulled much more on it. There goes that myth of 2HP being BW dependant, but I think Kody Burns put it to rest first.

AnywayIwastryingtoquitethat

Kody is a strong guy but I still feel its body weight dependant.

AnywayIwastryingtoquitethat

Kody is a strong guy but I still feel its body weight dependant.

Curious why you think that? I outweigh daniel by 100+lbs and his pinch blows me away in all areas. I think DO axle might be BW dependent a bit but then guys like andrew pull as much as mid 300lb strongman. Only grip event I can think where bodyweight might help a lot would be braced bending or weighted wrist roller.

Though It probably doesn't hurt to be bigger if it means an increase in overall body strength. Also no worries about the training day will be interesting to hear how the progress goes on the inch though.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Stephen,

I just believe it. but I also believe that there are strong guys in all catagories no doubt about that atall. we have the best here

a strongman without a grip is no strongman at all.

~magnus samualson

looking at the numbers overall, 2hp is body weight dependent to a large degree. Kody is an outlier.

I agree BW is a factor but I didn't get it to work for me. I'm about 40# heavier when I first pulled 205 and now pulled a 212. Of course I was sick as a dog, holding down pukes and sitting on the toilet all comp, and it was 90+ outside. I'll know more at Nationals if I can pull over 220. I honestly feel 220 shouldn't be a problem then based off Saturdays conditions. For some reason a 220+ pull would change my mind on if my BW addition did anything.

Today some pullups, axle curls, wrisy hammer tool work, and ghetto banded inch work. Hands are still fried from the comp so just mostly fiddled with how to setup the inch for banded deload lifts. I need some steel wire to finish it properly.

• Like 1

Today back to moving decent stuff. Also day 3 of dieting. Quite low on energy.

Squats, axle

110 2x6

200 1x6

250 1x3

270 1

295 5x1

Wrist hammer tool

10# front sledge deadlifts.

10", 12, 14, 16, 17 fail x2

Really low on energy. Takes some getting used to on the diet. Still sick too. Also changed up the way I do a workout. I want the whole thing to be done in 30 minutes, today was 40 minutes. I just want to get in, lift heavy then get out. Trying to keep the muscle druing the cut.

Are you on any specific diet or just watching what you eat?

Just watching what I eat. i'd like to try a couple diets but my crazy rotating shift work, family and home life don't really allow for any uniform programs. I've cut fat before when i did WSH 2011 for 4 months. This one will just be a quick 1 month cut then back to eating alot of healthy stuff for Nationals in June.I picked up more fat than I wanted in the last 3 months due to being sick and injured. Same eating habits but alot less working out hard. No bueno.

Did some long awaited tool mods today. A filed #3 and a smooth handle 178# BBE. I'll be going on a gripper program in a month or so, so wanted to get ready. Also rounded off the Inch dumbell handle today. Basically just ground it down from a 2.622"x2.383" oval to near round. It isn't perfectly 2.383" round but it's close enough where I don't feel it when i grab the handle. Even though I did an Inch work yesterday I was able to get good hops today on it. It's amazing what a round handle can do. LOL. Since it's bare metal it is a little easier than factory. When I can lift it I'll just paint it over for more of a challenge. What's important at this point is time under tension.

photobucket-24677-1363902355923_zps22619

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

Really cool modifications try to bring the inch to contest if you can I'd like to play with it a bit also in between events or after. I bet by nationals you will be really close to lifting that thing if not before. With the whole diet thing are you trying to compete at nationals in the 93kg class? Or do you just feel stronger/ more energy with a little big of excess fat off of you? I really don't know of too many structured diets that would work for your shift work but have been reading about carb cycling a bit which seems interesting-period of low carb followed by refeed days- I've read its helpful for strength athletes and to lose fat quickly. I think for you though just working out more you will drop the fat you gained while being sick/injured. You still are very lean right now so I imagine losing any fat is quite a challenge.

Thanks. Yeah I can bring the Inch if you want. You'll do better on it now that the handle is close to round. That smooth handle BBE will get an eyelet hook in it so I can attach a carabiner and mini band. From there I can use band resistance or banded deload on the gripper.

The cut is just a fat cut so I can see my abs again. I just don't like the little bit of belly that is forming. My dad has a big gut so maybe i'm just trying to avoid that at all costs. When it comes to weight classes I could care less. My targets are on the biggest guys out there. Contest placement has taken a backseat. There will be a period of losing but eventually by chasing the elite I may be able to be competitive with them.

• Like 2

Jumping jacks and situps.

Saw a doctor and got some antibiotics. Looks like I may have had a chest infection for the last month or two.

When it comes to weight classes I could care less. My targets are on the biggest guys out there. Contest placement has taken a backseat. There will be a period of losing but eventually by chasing the elite I may be able to be competitive with them.

Daniel. Thumbs up for this. No limitations brother. No excuses. That is one reason why you have come so far so fast.

When it comes to weight classes I could care less. My targets are on the biggest guys out there. Contest placement has taken a backseat. There will be a period of losing but eventually by chasing the elite I may be able to be competitive with them.

Daniel. Thumbs up for this. No limitations brother. No excuses. That is one reason why you have come so far so fast.

Thank you Jedd. Last years LA fitexpo was one. This AZ Cactus grip against Aaron was another. It's important to know the best gains are had with people better than yourself.

Incline axle bench press

70 2x7

90 1x6

100 1x6

110 1x6

130 4x4

140 5x1

only second time trying incline so went light and for reps. getting the feel of it.

wrist hammer tool all directions. felt good.

fatgripz dumbbell curls

Inch dumbbell work, week 1 day 2.5

alot of attempts, got a decent lift in.

negative holds at the top.

I did my first Inch workout earlier in the week then the next day decided that oval handle sucked butt. It was too inconsistant to pull on. Depends on how you grab it. I ground it down the following day to where I couldn't tell if it was oval. I did a few attempts on it that day too, It's still a little fat but it's close enough. Then I painted it to get it back to original feel.

My best lift today, and to date.

Edited by daniel reinard

I thought Jedd andyouwere working on a replacement bell. what happened

Parris, are you suggesting I did not try to get Daniel a new Inch?

no I wasn't suggesting anythingatall I justdidn'tremember reading what came of the situation. and was wondering about it.

No workout today. Instead welded up an 18" loading platform that I could use for contests and training. I will weld in leg supports tomorrow then paint. It'll get a 3/4" rubber mat attached to the top of the platform and rubber feet for the legs are on order.

photobucket-29058-1364173331037_zps9e15e

• Like 2

Awesome!

I think homemade taining equipment is the best.

I enjoy training with stuff I designed or made a lot more than with store bought equipment.

• Like 1

Same here Chris. There's something about a custom tool and getting gains on it.

• Like 1

Same here Chris. There's something about a custom tool and getting gains on it.

Definitely, definitely. That's how I feel about my anvil horn.

• Like 1