Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Had some time to bench and bend today. Did 5 singles axle bench. IMPs at 7" I did some 1/4" crs and then took two spiral reds to 50 and 70 degrees. I stopped at the sweep because I want to test the wrist more in that motion since that's how I hurt it. Although today I didn't feel any issue at all. Just weakness. Also did hammer rotations.

• Like 3

Had some time to bench and bend today. Did 5 singles axle bench. IMPs at 7" I did some 1/4" crs and then took two spiral reds to 50 and 70 degrees. I stopped at the sweep because I want to test the wrist more in that motion since that's how I hurt it. Although today I didn't feel any issue at all. Just weakness. Also did hammer rotations.

Good to hear your wrist is feeling better Daniel. Take your time working back into the bending and I'm sure we will see you back up there killing some big steel soon!

Thanks Sean. I hurt it on a 5.5" red in the sweep which I was quite unused to at that length. At that same time I was bending 7" 21/64" O1 rated at 500# in single IMPs. Hopefully I can get back to that soon and with zero injury issues. So far so good.

Axle benching again today. I've decided to just do it BB style for a while. Winding the body up PL style is causing me to keep popping ribs out near the neck. Those hurt like a MF. Super settled with hammer rotations and IMP bending. 2x 7/32 O1, 3x 17/64 O1, and a 9/32 O1. Still working up intensity.

Axle benching again today. I've decided to just do it BB style for a while. Winding the body up PL style is causing me to keep popping ribs out near the neck. Those hurt like a MF. .

I found this video interesting in relation to above mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1e4Jp34iPQ

Thanks bro. That's exactly what I did last workout. I found that exact stance and setup to feel more comfortable even though I move a little less weight that way when compared to PL style. I've seen that video last year when I learned the bench press and I didnt like it much. Its funny now I came back to that naturally and see it happens to match what he said.

Axle bench, bending and wrist rotations today. I'm liking the non PL style benching for my neck. I added 5# and an extra rep so did 6x1 working sets. I also added more sets and weight to the wrist rotations. Also increased bending. All IMPs. 3x 1/4" crs, 1x 7.5" 1/4" square, 2x 9/32" O1, 1x 5/16"steelworks hrs.

Edited by daniel reinard

Kind of a light day from what I've been doing to get back in a groove quickly.

Axle deads, conv stance DO grip. Nothing impressive. The 100 degree heat was enough.

Light hammer wrist rotations. Nothing hard.

Bending Single leathers, extremely loose and no bands. Just wrapped while standing.

60d reverse

6" 1/4" G2 DU

9.5" 80d (3/8") kinked over knee and finished with both leg crushes and chest crushes.

Loose IMPs

7x1/4" crs DO

7x5/16" steelworks HRS DO stopped at the sweep.

Just a fun whatever day. I'm beat up from benching and bending every 5ish days and with 100 degree heat and getting home at 6am from work, well I was beat, low on food and just looking to do something in the garage.

Edited by daniel reinard

Also farted around with blobs. Trying different stuff for fun.

30# fatman, 2 finger lift by the circumference

Edited by daniel reinard

Surprised you were able to get that blob so easily with the heat we have had around here.

Looks like the bending is coming back quickly for you also

Surprised you were able to get that blob so easily with the heat we have had around here.

Looks like the bending is coming back quickly for you also

Yeah it's been 100+ then in the 80s, back and forth. Of course workout days are the hot ones. Lol.

Bending is doing ok. Reds go down fine but it'll take a little bit to get back to 500# O-1 IMP bends. Just plugging away at it.

bending and bench.

Axle bench

6x1 working set added 5# again. getting closer to where I was a couple months ago.

bending loose IMPs

2x 7"x1/4" crs

2x 7"x5/16" crs one full and one already kinked. Feels just like the spiral reds.

2x Spiral Reds both kinked, one at 50 and other at 70.

Little hammer wrist rotations.

Slowly still making things harder. That long layoff did me in. Was nice to finish 4 red like bars. Means my sweep and crush are coming along and the wrist is handling it fine. The sub max work while keeping it on the tougher side is working to slowly get back where things were.

bending and bench.

Axle bench

6x1 working set added 5# again. getting closer to where I was a couple months ago.

bending loose IMPs

2x 7"x1/4" crs

2x 7"x5/16" crs one full and one already kinked. Feels just like the spiral reds.

2x Spiral Reds both kinked, one at 50 and other at 70.

Little hammer wrist rotations.

Slowly still making things harder. That long layoff did me in. Was nice to finish 4 red like bars. Means my sweep and crush are coming along and the wrist is handling it fine. The sub max work while keeping it on the tougher side is working to slowly get back where things were.

NIce workout, glad to hear things are coming along fine!

thanks T.

Did a workout with axle deads, one and two handed. Also messed with blobs, 1HP, and a 20# ore grinding ball with 30+ added.

Today was a bench, bending workout.

added 5# again to my 6x1 working set on bench. felt good. will keep adding 5# each time until 6x1 cannot be achieved.

Bending felt good. I pushed harder today since I felt alright.

7" 1/4" crs IMPs

7" 370# IMPs

7"x5/16" O1 drill rod IMPs took to 120 degrees. I'm not ready to push the sweep that much yet. Felt good to kink 450-500 type steel.

6.5" Big golden bastard was at 20 degrees. Took to 100 in IMPs. Again I tried to sweep but I'm not ready for that difficulty yet.

Edited by daniel reinard

axle deads. one handed and two handed. conv stance.

wasn't supposed to be a bending day but I couldn't resist.

IMPS DO

60d x2

7"x5/16" HRS

shiny hexabastard attempt. took to 16 degrees in 3 hits. I still don't want to go too balls out. Trying to stay injury free here. def the hardest bar I've ever got movement out of. This is a qualifying bar for the Battlebar so if I can bend this fully I should be able to cert the BB.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

axle benching

added 5# more to my 6x1 working sets. so far I can keep adding 5# each week. getting closer to where I was months ago. also still benching in a less strict PL way, more BB style. so of course I'll move less weight to target just the upper body.

IMP DO bending

60d x2

7"5/16" steel x1 for a warmup. then 5x in a row for my volume work. gonna rest 8 days then hit the shiny hex again.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

Super fast workout after work today. I wish I had the energy and time to have done more. Popped a burn blister on one hand and a blood blister on the other this workout too. Made gripping a little slippery. Lol.

Axle one hand and normal conv reads.

PR on RH one hand dead.

Two hand deads I was weak. Feeling exhausted from work this week.

In between the deads I tried out my new Saxon bar on the 3" width. I quickly got to 188 and stopped there. Prob my max today anyways. Was tough to superset these with deads.

1.5" DB rows for a few sets supersetted on the last few dead sets.

• Like 1

axle deads again. I wasn't happy I didn't get to push them last workout due to time restraints so I did them again today.

one hand, DO and mixed all conv on an axle. nothing crazy but just getting my deads back.

IMP DO bending.

60d x2

7" x 5/16" hrs

Fbbc ss hex session #2. from 16 to 18 degrees in 2 hits. didn't feel good so I stopped with the ISOs.

21/64" 505# sweep work. was 98 degrees, took to 110 in a few hits. lost attention and decided to try new wraps.

Hexabastard crs. green corduras. like fat IMPs. finished per FBBC cert rules without much issue except I wasn't taping for a cert. vid on youtube for the heck of it. maybe next time I'll cert it even though I'm not doing FBBC certs right now.

• Like 1

Axle bench up to a 3x1 working set. Added 5# again. Could of done all six singles but ran out of time.

DO bending

60d x2 imps

5/16" hrs imps

Fbbc ss hex cert miss in large corduras. Got stuck at 2.5". Damn tough bar. At least I know more about this bar since its my goal in imps.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

Axle deads conv stance.

One hand

DO grip

mixed grip.

DO IMP bending

60d x2

505# rated 7"x21/64" O-1. Was frozen at ~110 degrees from January when I hurt my hand. I got it to 2.6" and couldn't get it to move after that. Looks like my crush is my weakest part of the bend. Good thing that's the easiest to train.

gripper chest crushes.

#3.5

#4 225# 3 sets

each set is a few reps with a pause on the close. I focused on chest activation to close the gripper. My hands seem to do all the work on the crush so I am isolating the chest the best I can. I think crush work 2x week will do me good.

September maybe BattleBar ready?

• Like 2

That SS Hex looks like a beast of a bar. The Shinys I have lock up fierce past 90.

Strong bending looks like your wrist is feeling better, the battlebar would be a major accomplishment. Do you still plan to have a training day on a weekend in September or before the contest in October for those interested in the contest?

That SS Hex looks like a beast of a bar. The Shinys I have lock up fierce past 90.

Yeah it is very deceiving. It's easy to wobble then gets hard fast for a tough kink. Sweep felt soft. Then at 3" is just starts to seize up and just gets tougher near the finish. I still need to finish this one before I go back to kink work again.

Strong bending looks like your wrist is feeling better, the battlebar would be a major accomplishment. Do you still plan to have a training day on a weekend in September or before the contest in October for those interested in the contest?

Wrist still feels funny on occasion but it is way better. To get my skinny butt on the BB list would feel great. Now that's a short list with nothing but the BEST DO benders.

I still plan on a training day in Sept Prob a Saturday. I need to work with my work schedule to see if I can free up a day for us to get together. I'll let you know bro.

Tonight was bench and bending a with a bit of my homemade saxon bar.

Saxon bar 3"x4". Just was slapping on plates and getting the feel of it. First time using it with fresh paint. I tried it once before with bare steel before painting it. I could do more bare.

Axle bench. Up to my 6x1 working set. Last time I added 5# and just did 3x1. Now I got the 6x1 so will add 5# next workout.

Bending all DO in IMPs

60d x2

Bastard ~440#

7" Q O-1 drill rod. 2 hits and got 6 degrees of wobble. Kink felt awful. Figured time to work sweep and crush instead.

505# 21/64" O-1 crush from 2.5" to 2.1 So close to finishing this bar!! grr

5/16" crs, 21/64" O-1, and 5/16" O-1 bars all swept from ~110 degrees to crushed under 2". My 21/64" is prob only 10# easier than the 505# 21/64" bar.

Bench is still climbing and crush is still improving. Of course crushing is a lot harder after a full bench workout but it adds a challenge to the training. Fresh it will come in handy. As long as it is still improving I'm happy. Once I can finish the 505# then the ss hex under 2" I'll focus more on going back to kinking strong. That's more tech and cns. Will be easier to keep the crush once I achieve the correct level for a ss hex and BB bar.

Deads, bending and rows.

Barbell deads all DO grip conv stance

nothing crazy just doing some pulls

Bending IMPs DO

-60d x3

-1/4" square

-505# 21/64" two hits and 12 degrees. Felt plain awful on the kink. Kink has been sucking lately.

-5/16" O1 bent this bar all the way. Had to kink and finish something.

-505# 21/64" was at 2.25". Took down to up 2" in imps. good thing the crush is better each workout. Feels good to put this bar in "the bucket".

-fbbc ss hex was at 2.5". Took down to 2.125" in imps. I really wanted to finish this bar too today. It just kept springing back tho. Oh well. Next workout it will finished.

2.4" db rows.

Last couple weeks the crush is improving each session but the kink feels weak. I guess not everything can improve at the same time. I don't mind. Crush is easy to work and won't go away when I decide it's where I want it and go back to heavy kink work. As others have done, I'll just work crush and kink seperately for best gains.