Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Amazing accomplishment!

I had no doubt you would lift this thing once you set your mind too it. The hex will fall next.

Thanks guys. Was a matter of buckling down on the goal. Some feats just need top priority. 2x45 and Blobzilla were like this. I'll keep at my current Inch program at least until the Diablo comp. The hex is coming along good at just once a week so I'll stick with that program too. It feels good to know what to do, do it, then reap gains.

Edit: stephen you got this next time you see it. Keep hitting RT and the Inch is yours.

Edited by daniel reinard

BTW for those that ask "how much on the RT does it take to lift the Inch", which is a super common question on forums...for me 200 on the RT equals the Inch. And it's probably about a 370-380 axle. I'm looking forward to trying the RT in our contest with only Inch training leading up to it. I wonder if there is carryover in that direction. I know the RT work leading up to the CTD in January made for good Inch and axle strength. Fun experiment.

A been a while day today. Deadlifts and phonebooks. Saw a workoholics episode and got inspired to brush the dust off.

"I got muscles."

[

Deadlifts, okie bar, no gear, conv., DO

135 2x6

225 2x6

315 1x3

365 2x1

414 4x1

414 1x2

Snatch grip with DO, no hook

225 3x3

Wrist hammer tool.

Pullups 5x5. Whoa, way easier now that I've lost 17# in the last 2 weeks.

Front Sledge lifts, 10#

10", 12, 14

16" fails x2. Man, wrists are tired today. I noticed the Inch lifts really work the brachioradialis.

15" 3x1 deadlifts. Harder than it should be. Tired. Still got work in regardless.

Phonebooks

900 page 1/2 + binding 1/2

2" ? page 1/2 + binding 1/2

2.125" 1686 page 1/2

Rusty and wrists are tired. Might do some books on wrist days just to get the groove back.

Edited by daniel reinard

Did some more ab work in the evening. Tried Wojo's standing pulldowns with a gray band on the power rack. Way better than the kneeling ones I tried. Did 5x15. Medium difficulty. Will try heavier next time and will aim for 20 reps.

• Like 1

Losing nearly 20lbs in two weeks is very impressive, wish I had that type of metabolism haha. The double bodyweight DO deadlifts are really impressive also. I imagine working with the inch has helped your deadlift grip a lot even with the regular size bar.

The first 10# went in a couple days, mostly food weight. I've done 500 DO grip on a deadlift befoe. Not sure if the Inch does much for barbell lifting. Feels alot different. I am hoping the Inch pays off on the axle. Most Inch lifters are around the 400 range on the axle so maybe it'll get me close. I need that almighty 400 for an Elite total.

Mixed it up today. Instead of Inch did 2HP and experimented with different widths and hand positions. I've never been happy with my current hand position and I got an idea on how to use a new position with other widths.

Squats, axle, knee sleeves

110 2x6

160 1x6

200 1x3 paused

250 2x1

295 1

315 1

345 2x1

295 3x1 paused

Inch attempts after 2HP work.

Grippers, 20mm for hell of it after everything

Filed #3 RH, miss LH due to worst set ever.

2HP, new grip

54mm

101 1

121 1

141 1

151 1

161 1

171 1

181 1

191 2 fails

Changed to 64mm

193 1 nailed it solidly

203.39 1 felt solid

208.25 2 fails. big tear and couldn't budge it for some reason even though 203 felt good.

I came within 2# of my all time contest best on my device at 58mm when using the 64mm today. 54mm is just so damn small for my hands. I'll try 64mm again in 2 weeks. For some reason I can 1HP plenty but can never get the benefits of using both hands on the device. It always feels awkward as hell. Going back to Inch work 2x/week next week.

200lbs is becoming easy for you now, really cool. What are you shooting for by nationals since that is the big meet for you this year? I think if you get 220-seems very likely at this point if not more- and 400 on axle that would be about a 800lb total for you which is massive for anyone.

Its amazing how just a few mm can make such a drastic difference. I'll have to practice some wider widths also.

Your squat strength is coming back to where it was before you got sick/injured also

Edited by Stephen Ruby

thanks man. I believe I have 220# 2HP in me right now. Was able to do the 212 in Tucson in 90+ heat and sick as a dog. The goal has been 225 and a 400 axle to get my elite total. A 380 axle maybe at Nats is that goal.

I'm thinking 64 might work out but if I can get a 62mm that might be ideal. Just a shame there is a 6mm gap in sizes for a standard kit.

Squats are doing ok for being on a diet. I'll be back to where I was shortly. Starting to up food intake again, staying low carb but not as strict. still got some fat to burn.

• Like 1

Seriously, after watching what Daniel did sick in Tucson, I can't imagine what he's going to do at 100% in Ohio.

Seriously, after watching what Daniel did sick in Tucson, I can't imagine what he's going to do at 100% in Ohio.

I'm really hoping I can be 100% and perform to my expectations. One never knows what can happen leading up to a comp but I'm doing as much as I can to go in strong. Feeling good despite dieting and having lost 15#.

• Like 1

Incline axle bench

70 2x6

80 1x6

90 1x6

100 1x6

110 1x6

120 1x6

130 5x6

getting more reps and sets with 130 each week.

Wrist hammer tool. Time to up the weight again.

Axle bicep curls.

Inch Dumbbell

attempts

RH dropped at knee. RH PR.

Red band deloads. used to be orange band but now at the lightest band I have. RH did well today. LH is smoked.

Some RH negatives too.

60# hex

ISOs short for warmup

Attempts. LH air, RH glides.

ISOs long 10 sec

Very quick workout. Everything in about 60 min. I wish I had more time to do some more curls and hex work. They were 3rd on the priority list so glad I got the other work in first. Pretty much every workout is like this since last year when switched to the 12hr work schedule. Sucks balls. Still progressing though, and 15# lighter than I was 2-3 weeks ago. I'll take it.

Start my 12hr overnight job thus week, also keeping my old job too a few days a month. Plus 3 kids in baseball not to mention 3 separate leagues. And a wife that works opposite shifts, I'm gonna need your help on fitting in workouts!

Start my 12hr overnight job thus week, also keeping my old job too a few days a month. Plus 3 kids in baseball not to mention 3 separate leagues. And a wife that works opposite shifts, I'm gonna need your help on fitting in workouts!

Dang dude! Glad to hear you got that new job. Yeah I had to redo my concept of a workout. I can alot 1 hour session a few times a week. Assistance work, multiple body parts etc are out of the picture. I get in, superset the primary PL and grip goals, then get out.

yesterday's training

deadlifts, sumo, DO grip

463 added belt

463 tried out my new modular blocks at 5.5". can go to 9".

514 mixed grip

grippers, 20mm block

#2.5 filed RH, regular LH

#3 filed RH x2, regular LH miss x2

#3.5 179# silver bullit hold 23 seconds. video below

Slow workout. Getting back to heavy deadlifts. Been a really long time since I went over 500 for anything. Hammies still fried from last week and really felt they were weak this session. Back felt solid. I really need to work grippers after my comp next week. my 20mm and MMS technique is garbage. totally robbing me of power. Been a long time since I did a MMS gripper run. Too much CCS for the cert I guess.

The GF came over and wanted to hit the 2HP to dial that in before the comp. She wasn't happy with the way it felt at the AZ comp despite a 1st place win. We messed with different widths and when she found one she liked (smaller than what she used in AZ) we did some technique work. She fulled a few extra pounds than what she maxed at in AZ for a couple easy singles so she is looking forward to a a contest PR in a week. She also messed with the sledge lever just to get a feel of it and borrowed the RT to play with it. Anyways a chill workout to help her and for me to get back to intense deads and grippers.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udFH1ZX9qkI]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udFH1ZX9qkI

These are the wrist hammer rotations I do just about every grip day. To date these are the best things I've done for slow strength gains, wrist and elbow health, and they are increasing my forearm size.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8IO_8dalWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8IO_8dalWM

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

That is a seriously impressive hold with a 3.5-a hard one also- I can't even hold it in a slightly under parallel position that long with no weight haha. How long do you think you could get with the #3?

Also really impressive your hitting over 500 again while dieting

Edited by Stephen Ruby

That is a seriously impressive hold with a 3.5-a hard one also- I can't even hold it in a slightly under parallel position that long with no weight haha. How long do you think you could get with the #3?

Also really impressive your hitting over 500 again while dieting

Not sure on the #3. I was surprised to hit 23 seconds on this tough #3.5. Maybe i can add 15 seconds to a #3? That's my guess.

The 514 was on 5.5" blocks. Hams were really whooped. 463 on the floor felt slow. I've been wanting blocks at home to use those in my training. At the gym I sometimes to 18" pulls, basically right below the knee to lockout. There I can go 600+. I think I need to shock the body back to heavy weight to get back on to deadlifting and keep the muscle while dieting. I've been upping my protein up to "diet" less. Eating 5-6 meals now and weight is still right at 200 so I'm burning fat still.

That's quite a hold there!

Thanks. Takes a mental will to keep holding on because the pain comes before the fatigue.

I just realized I've competed in grip at 83kg, 93kg, 105kg and will be at 93kg again for next weeks comp. Not sure if others have been in 3 weight classes let alone 4 class moves in 2 years.

I just realized I've competed in grip at 83kg, 93kg, 105kg and will be at 93kg again for next weeks comp. Not sure if others have been in 3 weight classes let alone 4 class moves in 2 years.

I have trouble making up my mind, too, Daniel. :grin:

If the stars align and the wind doesn't blow me away in the meantime, I will compete at 74k next month. That would make three official weight class contests, and a total of four if you count the contests I did weighing over 200 prior to weight classes. You clearly have me beat in the time frame department, though. In powerlifting I competed in seven classes: 123, 132, 148, 165, 181, 198, and 220.