Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Axle bicep curls

20 rep sets, adding 10# each set.

Blobs

warmups with 20, 30, 40, 2nd gen blob, fatman blob.

unboxed Brent Barbe's 60# hex. It's a big sob. Only a tiny float a few times. Really hits the ring and pinky fingers, which are a weak link of mine.

Inch training, week 2, day 3

attempts

banded deload lifts with no deload and full rotation at lockout

Tough Inch day. LH was whooped from 2 days ago. RH did good on the banded deloads.

Was buggered the 60# bested me so I went to Blobzilla and lifted it both hands. Even did a lift onto nan 18" platform. Yup, that hex is going to do me good. Thanks Brent.

Edited by daniel reinard

That is a monster hex blob but I bet you will give that thing some air in no time!

Its amazing to see you struggle for once on a this type of event heh

That thing is really massive I imagine it will be a fun challenge for you for a bit. No doubt you will lift it though.

Pretty awesome dude. I saw blobzilla at Jedd's place on Saturday and I'm just amazed that you can lift that. I'm still working on my 50 lb Hex. Wish I had your block weight strength. I'm sure you will get the 60 lb hex soon.

Very nice attempts. I'm anxious to see how long it will take you to conquer that 60# hex. I have a 60# hex that looks real similar to that one and I've never been able to get any air at all under it. I can lift my 50# hex with 10# added to it real easy, and I've lifted my 55# hex with 5# added on several occasions, but that 60# owns me. Would be very cool if you made some more videos as you progress with that beast.

Thanks. It's a fat block, no doubt. The good news is I micro hopped it. I think in a month it'll come up. Took a month to get Blobzilla locked out. The Inch is the primary focus right now. I think I can train the hex on Inch days right after I do the Inch work. I'll video the progress and will keep posting what I'm doing in my training. For the hex I'll be using the Blobzilla program I mention in my blob help tutorial.

When your hand gets used to that shape Im interested in which you think is harder Blobzilla or the hexzilla. Isnt blobzilla heavier and curved? I would guess blobzilla would be harder but there are so many variables such as texture.

Good luck with the Inch man. That will be some lift.

When your hand gets used to that shape Im interested in which you think is harder Blobzilla or the hexzilla. Isnt blobzilla heavier and curved? I would guess blobzilla would be harder but there are so many variables such as texture.

Good luck with the Inch man. That will be some lift.

Thanks bro. Yeah Blobzilla has some nasty features but I think the hex has more. It def seems tougher. I've had a few people ask for a comparison so I took some weights and measurements tonight.

Below are a couple pics I took to show the size of the 60# hex against York blobs. I also took weights and something I call "effective pinch width" of the items. For the width i put a caliper over the items so that the caliper laid down flat over the top of the item and you measured the width as if you were pinch it with the caliper. Of course everyones hands differ but it seems to be a universal way to measure the nasty width on blobs. Jedd took measurements this way in his latest blob comparison video this week. People have been asking so I think this is the best way to size up the equipment I have.

2nd Gen Blob 4.95" 50.5#

Fatman Blob 5.12" 51.74#

Blobzilla 5.44" 61.24#

60# Hex 5.42" 58.44#

So although Blobzilla is a hair wider, it also has more surface for the fingers and thumbs since it does not have the huge slopes like the 60# hex block. Those slopes make you have to reach past them to the flat sides in order to get to the pinch surface. This means less fingers and thumb can actually grab. Also Blobzilla is textured. The hex is bare metal (on one side).

Fatman left, Blobzilla top, hex center, 2nd gen bottom

photobucket-46362-1364357659965_zps411f4

2nd gen left, hex center, Blobzilla right

photobucket-12766-1364357620021_zps60400

• Like 1

Btw anyone that says pinching doesn't work your extensors just isn't pinching hard enough.

image_zps8fa65295.jpg

• Like 3

Squats, axle, no gear

110 1x6

160 1x6

200 1x6

250 1x2 tried out a box squat. First time.

295 1x2 box squat. Vid below for critique. Pretty sure it is an inch or so high, also need box tech work.

315 5x1 no box. Plain squats.

Weird workout. The legs never once got warm. Made the working sets harder than they should have been.

Front sledge lift to 18" platform

14" 15" 16"

17" both hands fails x3

Crunches and sit-ups

Your forearms look crazy in that pic, I watched some of your early videos and they look bigger and leaner now. Did you ever measure how much they grew in size from more grip training?

I tried box squats before but they always felt a little awkward

Your posture is good and very fast out of the bottom, looks like you crashed onto the box just a little bit at the start. From videos looks like they like to do a really slow decent onto the box and then fast up. Looks like a lot of them like to have a little cushion on the box to help with that and to sink deeper.

Nice platform fab.

I know little about box squats but from my understanding you're accomplishing the goal. Take away the stretch reflex. You're coming up over the middle of the foot. Looks good to me.

Your forearms look crazy in that pic, I watched some of your early videos and they look bigger and leaner now. Did you ever measure how much they grew in size from more grip training?

I tried box squats before but they always felt a little awkward

Your posture is good and very fast out of the bottom, looks like you crashed onto the box just a little bit at the start. From videos looks like they like to do a really slow decent onto the box and then fast up. Looks like a lot of them like to have a little cushion on the box to help with that and to sink deeper.

I think the forearms went from (bent and flexed, cold) 11" to 14". If I get a pump I get 14.5". Grippers and bench press did most of the gains.

Box squats are awkward. I will fiddle with them with the advice given and see if they do me good. I appreciate the advice bro.

Nice platform fab.

I know little about box squats but from my understanding you're accomplishing the goal. Take away the stretch reflex. You're coming up over the middle of the foot. Looks good to me.

Thanks bro. I think I need to stay tight and sit less on the box. I def was trying to come to a dead stop on the box.

Daniel -

Will you keep it that way, or re-paint it?

I painted it, put a 3/4" rubber mat on top and just put the rubber feet on yesterday. Pretty sturdy. When I used it for squats I sat completely on it with 315#.

photobucket-41861-1364496466158_zps5da28

• Like 1

Daniel, Stephen is right. You are crashing into the box. You want to settle down into it more.

Thanks Jedd. I appreciate you taking a look and advising.

Same here Jason. I like paused. This day I thought i'll try the box. If it never works out fine. But if I find it somewhat useful then cool. I've always wondered what they were like since so many like them.

Daniel -

Will you keep it that way, or re-paint it?

I painted it, put a 3/4" rubber mat on top and just put the rubber feet on yesterday. Pretty sturdy. When I used it for squats I sat completely on it with 315#.

photobucket-41861-1364496466158_zps5da28

Very cool thing you made there! Awesome! I have done a few sessions box squats and I like them very much, it's just a very technical movement to master, I am watching a lot of videos of this. The box looks great, I am actually using a wooden box with a cushion on top which makes it kinda to soft I'm afraid. I like this vid btw of the right technique.

Edited by Geralt

I'm really a fan of bottom-up squats, just to throw my 2 cents in. Theyre kind of like box squats, but harder I think. Might be just personal preference.

For me they're great though becaause I have trouble hitting depth in normal squats. But with bottom-up squats I know I'm always hitting depth, and since I'm not a powerlifter, I'm really not worried about not having the regular move down very well.

Edited by Mephistopholes

Anyway, my point in posting that was, if the box squats don't do it for you, you might try the bottom-up squats.

Sorry, hadnt had my coffee yet when I first posted. Haha

Haha, thanks man. Just trying variations to see what can be of use. I'll try those bottom ups as well.

You know when you are so hungry for something that people take notice on how consumed one is with something? Typically this is a good thing for the focused individual, but I've come to believe that this is not how we should train. To be consumed means we are not in control but instead out of control and we don't even know it. Today I said "I am hungry." This is in reference to my Inch cycle. Someone said "don't eat it man". The reply was "it will be lighter if I do". The point is to be consumed is not as good as to consume. To be so hungry for something to figuratively, and almost literally, take a bite of a steel object in order to make the lift. So today I took a bite of the Inch dumbbell and it became liftable.

Inch week 2 day 4

attempts warming up with intensity

LH full lockout!

RH 6" air on front globe, not on video

more attempts

negatives

60# hex week 2 day 2

ISOs 2x4 sec

half lifts both hands PRs

more attempts

ISOs 2x10 sec

light wrist hammer tool

dumbbell fatgripz curls

black band ab pulldowns

incline axle press

70 2x7

90 1x6

100 1x6

110 1x6

120 1x3

130 1x3

140 5x2 last week 5 singles was hard. 5 doubles today felt easier than that. triples next week.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 5