Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

I have only been training on the outside of my legs and so it makes really no difference to me, but I don't have back problems.

One aspect I am emailing Terry and Richard on is this; I order to give the crowd a greater appreciation of what we are doing. Have the implements available after the events for others to get there hands on them. People have tried lifting the Inch at the MHP booth in the past so there is some familiarity there. The anvil has no relation, if AFTER we are done with it, i don't need body lotion all over the horn, it is available to the crowd, they can gain greater appreciation for the event.

A 500# isn't much to celebrate, but done double overhand on a 2" bar is. When the general public 'feels' this it is miraculous.

Just my 2 cents. We must work to sell this events with as much effort as we do to train and compete in it.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

I agree with Andrew the more and better this goes over with the public the larger and with a better prize each year it will become. This is a tight scheduled competition and the equipment must be removed and reset for the next events following so I don't know how that open display would work. There has been great responce so far.

In regards to the anvil. I have been lifting and carrying anvils for a long time and by habit to the side. 173 really is not that heavy(even for a 60 year old) and if you are lifting an anvil of the Jowetts 173lb. size anyone would have a problem standing up straight with it held between the feet. Remember the base is bulky and the horn is long and pointy. A bigger problem is for judging.It would be hard not to be resting or locking the hand down against the leg or semi carrying it in the between foot position. The crowd needs to see the event and anvil clearly so, all were in agreement with this universal method of carry.

an anvil of the Jowetts 173lb. size anyone would have a problem standing up straight with it held between the feet.

as an owner of a large anvil, i don't want anything heavy, awkward, and POINTY aimed at the ...ahem, fellas,

I hope your back holds up Steve, to the side does seem to make sense outside of your condition. I truly hope it is a non issue for you on that stage. Can't wait to see how this goes.

Thx again Richard.

In my email I did ask if it was a visual thing as much as anything. As stated above I can lift the weight that way but a broad base is still an issue (hitting the ankles for example). Being tall I'm not overly worried about having enough height to 'poke' it anywhere sensitive. I did make a suggestion regarding the referring issue (someone walking in front solves that) in my email also.

Regarding the tight scheduling. I've seen the story from last year about the less than politically correct method Mark Henry used (move it a-holes I think was used) to get the powerlifters to clear the back stage area so the strength equipment can be set up and how this didn't go down to well with Ryan Kenally (spelling??).

We have seen, via the emails, that next years support and interest (from sponsors??) is looking very special indeed.

Best of luck guys , show them the POWER!!!

Great job Mr Sorin , for finally giviing our stars of the grip universe a chance to shine.

Anyone know if there will be a live feed of the mighty mitts comp online?

Impossible to do. It's over two days and we do one event pre the ASM and one after on both days. As posted RX Muscle will film some of it and interview a few of us so look out for that.

Anyone know if there will be a live feed of the mighty mitts comp online?

Impossible to do. It's over two days and we do one event pre the ASM and one after on both days. As posted RX Muscle will film some of it and interview a few of us so look out for that.

I see. Thanks for the info Steve. I would love to make it down there but it's not gonna happen unfortunately

Chris,We have really worked to get this right for the grip stars. I really would like to see you put your name in the hat for next year.

It was off to the lazer and water jet people to add some finishing touches to the Monster Bell. We are within a few pounds of the adding and subtracting to make this "one of a kind" bell something special. I spoke to Dr. Todd and since it is 26 lbs above the highest double overhand lift on a 2" axle I hope SOMEONE can lift it! RS

We're all hoping it's gonna be us. Right now I'm already pulling what I did prior to competing at Chad's comp where I got 441lbs (3 x 1 reps with 185-kilos then and I did more than that last week) and I think I can get air under a little more weight before I leave. I'm hoping 4-6 x 1 reps with 200-kilos just before I rest and pack up. I would like to think 1 single rep with 500lbs will be good for me. But I think 1 or 2 of the guys have another rep or two in them.

I did note with interest Wade's blog entry of a few days back.

I hope someone puts it up on youtube.

Anyone else notice all the gunshots going off in Felix's video? He must be traning in a warzone. Now that's hardcore!

Anyone else notice all the gunshots going off in Felix's video? He must be traning in a warzone. Now that's hardcore!

Definitely a gun range - no double taps or autos allowed! laugh.gif Looks like a good place for one too. Wonder where he is?

Edited by xengym

I think it's his to lose. I just want a rep. If I got 2... man oh man.

Edited by mobsterone

I remember turning off Cooper to get to Metroflex and seeing razor-tipped arrows flying across the street in front of the gym. There was a hog shaped target off to the side, near the standards for the weight toss for height. There seems to be a pattern forming here...

I do believe we have 30 seconds for the reps. 10 would be amazing to witness. The higher pulling height will help, as will the on-stage atmosphere and big weights all around.

I've learned that the DB's used in the FW event at the Mighty Mitts competition will have 4.5" long handles, not 4" handles, and so they won't be official Inch DB's. This may be relevant to those who try to cater their training as much as possible to the actual events.

Edited by The Natural

Chads been pretty quiet, i wonder what heis up to?

Steve, i think you can get that second rep on the Monster bell, with all the people there watching, that will be an incredible adrenaline rush.