Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

massive chears to all of our guys up there!

you don't have to make us proud, we already are.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

massive chears to all of our guys up there!

you don't have to make us proud, we already are.

Well said. Best of strength to all of you guys!

How did everyone do? What were all the event placings?

I haven't received the actual final scorings yet. Rich dominated, taking 3 out of the 4 events.

I'll put up a write-up soon. Still recovering from the whirlwind weekend and the ride home...

It was a long road getting the first Mighty Mitts competition to completion. The sponsors were delighted and from what I am hearing interest already to have a bigger Mitt's show next year. Every competitor to the man was focused, and represented themselves and their training well. I was most impressed with big or small, large handed or not , injures present ALL chose to be in EVERY event. Everyone supported each other and were gentlemen. The judges Pat Povalitis,and Dennis Rogers did a great job focused and with sharp eyes. Other than taking a while to get the metal warmed up to "room" temperature and cleaning the Jowett anvil( it resided for years next door to a BBQ, resturant and though unlifted during those years thousands had tried it with grease laden hands. We cleaned it as best we could.The Monster bell worked well and the 500lb weight was 26lbs above the highest recorded double overhand 2"axle lift.Until the competition no competitors saw or trained on the bell so the equipment was new to everyone. Head Judge for that one Terry Todd himself watched closely for finished lockouts. Rich had a total of 12 reps up but only 8 passed lockout muster. There was no winner in the last event the Henry Bell. The two that gave the 300lb beast any real movement were Andrew Durnait and Chad Woodall.The Inch Bell carry was great even complicated with 2 turns involved in the winning effort. The distance the lifters carried the bells past the line and the walking required to maske the turn were not counted"in" so there was about 8-10' of extra travel involved in the top 3 carries. Mark Felix of Rolling Thunder fame, World strongest man competitor and with over 900lb. deadlifts under his belt was a really strong man. His enthusiasm and humbleness was amazing. All the Arnold's strongmen were amazed by the strength and resolve shown by the men of Mighty Mitts. Announcer and former World's strongest man Sven Carlsen shook his head in disbelief and said to me "does the crowd really know what great strength they are seeing?". He remarked how difficult it was in his day to do much of anything with the Inch Bells and now them being deadlifted and carried.My deep thanks to all that competed,judged, supported by coming to the event and to the Arnold's show "giving grip a chance".Richard Sorin

The Mighty Mitts contest was a great show! All the events were world class heavy and extreme. The competitors all showed up to compete and give it their very best. I was very impressed by their efforts, support for each other and showmanship (especially Jedd for the showmanship part). Props to all for competing in all the listed events, even if injured. Hats off to Richard and Bert Sorin and the rest of The Sorinex crew for putting in heaps of effort for pulling all of this together. I want to also comment on what an awesome piece of equipment the 500 pound Monster Bell is. Hands down, it is one of the most awesome pieces of weightlifting equipment that has ever been created, bar none. I was fortunate enough to get a hands on inspection of it, and all I can say is wow!!

Richard Sorin has made an extreme effort here to push the sport of grip to the next level, and in my mind, has succeeded very well. The events were creative, well run, and judged well. Thanks for all of your efforts and helping take this sport to the next level of exposure.

It was a long road getting the first Mighty Mitts competition to completion. The sponsors were delighted and from what I am hearing interest already to have a bigger Mitt's show next year. Every competitor to the man was focused, and represented themselves and their training well. I was most impressed with big or small, large handed or not , injures present ALL chose to be in EVERY event. Everyone supported each other and were gentlemen. The judges Pat Povalitis,and Dennis Rogers did a great job focused and with sharp eyes. Other than taking a while to get the metal warmed up to "room" temperature and cleaning the Jowett anvil( it resided for years next door to a BBQ, resturant and though unlifted during those years thousands had tried it with grease laden hands. We cleaned it as best we could.The Monster bell worked well and the 500lb weight was 26lbs above the highest recorded double overhand 2"axle lift.Until the competition no competitors saw or trained on the bell so the equipment was new to everyone. Head Judge for that one Terry Todd himself watched closely for finished lockouts. Rich had a total of 12 reps up but only 8 passed lockout muster. There was no winner in the last event the Henry Bell. The two that gave the 300lb beast any real movement were Andrew Durnait and Chad Woodall.The Inch Bell carry was great even complicated with 2 turns involved in the winning effort. The distance the lifters carried the bells past the line and the walking required to maske the turn were not counted"in" so there was about 8-10' of extra travel involved in the top 3 carries. Mark Felix of Rolling Thunder fame, World strongest man competitor and with over 900lb. deadlifts under his belt was a really strong man. His enthusiasm and humbleness was amazing. All the Arnold's strongmen were amazed by the strength and resolve shown by the men of Mighty Mitts. Announcer and former World's strongest man Sven Carlsen shook his head in disbelief and said to me "does the crowd really know what great strength they are seeing?". He remarked how difficult it was in his day to do much of anything with the Inch Bells and now them being deadlifted and carried.My deep thanks to all that competed,judged, supported by coming to the event and to the Arnold's show "giving grip a chance".Richard Sorin

The grip community owes Richard Sorin and Terry Todd a debt of gratitude for their efforts to bring Grip to the mainstream. Thanks to the entire Sorinex crew - Richard, Burt, House, Cyborg, Goergen; Terry and Jan Todd, Kim Beckwith, David Webster, Pat Povalitis, Dennis Rodgers, Svend Karlsen, Clint Richards, and the stage crew, for putting on great event. It's because of their efforts that a first year event like this could go off with great success.

I echo these sentiments too. I also want to add my special thanks to Zach and his family for making me welcome and giving me a place to lay my head down. I also want to add that I am ALWAYS made to feel like one of the gang every time I visit the US of A. It was great hooking up with the guys after the Arnold too. Pizza... :)

The grip community owes Richard Sorin and Terry Todd a debt of gratitude for their efforts to bring Grip to the mainstream. Thanks to the entire Sorinex crew - Richard, Burt, House, Cyborg, Goergen; Terry and Jan Todd, Kim Beckwith, David Webster, Pat Povalitis, Dennis Rodgers, Svend Karlsen, Clint Richards, and the stage crew, for putting on great event. It's because of their efforts that a first year event like this could go off with great success.

Absolutely. Huge thanks to Sorin and his team for putting this thing together. Even better news that it is on for next year!!!

It's nice hearing the backstage gab. That bit about Svend is appreciated Richard! Steve was telling me that backstage he was showed a bit of recognition by Koklayev for his #4 closes on YouTube. That was sweet.

Steve, you always have a place to stay next time you're in the states.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I want to say thanks to everyone that worked to put it on it was awesome to see it get the attention it did. I also want to give a ADABOY! to all that competed everything done was stuff I can't even budge pretty very cool! :bow

It was a great show. I want to add my thanks to those of everyone else to Dr Todd, Richard and the Sorinex boys (who really put in a days work in about an hour) along with Pat and Dennis etc. The only criticism I could make was the announcer didn't have a clue - he should have given the mic to Richard or Pat or maybe Sven.

The crowd really got into it - I don't think they totally understood the magnitude of what they were watching - I think an announcer with some grip strength history knowledge might have made a difference here. I really listened to the people near me in the crowd and their comments - it went over very well. I wondered on Sat when we had a final event after the Strongmen if the crowd might start to wander off when they were done but I never saw anyone leave - they stayed until the very end of the MM. The only negative comment I heard was on the Henry DB - I heard one guy say "well, that was exciting, they spun a DB in a box".

I would have liked to have gotten up closer to the 500# Axle BB Richard brought - it was a real thing of beauty from a distance - I want to find a good close up picture of it to hang on my gym wall.

What a great show of great athletes and true grip masters :mosher

After this performance, Big Rich Williams has the strongest grip in the world until proved otherwise in my opinion. If Richard Sorin can motivate him to train for it, he'll be the first man to certify on the #4 with CC-rule.

Did I hear right in one of the vids that Rich is 400#?

I would be intersted in more info or a close up picture of the axle. What are the globes made out of? The ends looked like submarine hatch doors! Do they come off or open? Were the globes solid? Just curious :D

What a great show of great athletes and true grip masters :mosher

After this performance, Big Rich Williams has the strongest grip in the world until proved otherwise in my opinion. If Richard Sorin can motivate him to train for it, he'll be the first man to certify on the #4 with CC-rule.

I agree...he kicked my ass.

Did I hear right in one of the vids that Rich is 400#?

I would be intersted in more info or a close up picture of the axle. What are the globes made out of? The ends looked like submarine hatch doors! Do they come off or open? Were the globes solid? Just curious :D

If they had been the load will have been a darn site more than 503 (not 500 as some have been stating).

The globes were machined and the ends all fabricated and hand hammered 7000 counted hits with a 3lb. hammer.The Maltese Croos design was something after research I wanted not only to look good but represent the 8 virtues of the cross that so many of the grip and strong men exhibited. While the bell can be loaded it was brought by machining to its size and weight by machining alone.The Monster was weighed part by part and assembled on two different electronic scales and turned out the same . Even the paint weighs something you know . It was "dead nuts" on 500 when done but that is a starting point...if ever loaded with aggregate or barbell plates it "could" be made from 501 to to over a ton! It took thousands of dollars and hundreds of man/shop hours to design, fabricate and machine it into what so far 10 men got the chance to lift.This Monster Bell will be used each year at following Arnold's Mighty Mitts competitions.For the record the only other non competitor to test it was strongman/grip stalwart Steve Weiner. He did an easy deadlift with it in a conventional style off stage.I think with practice "some one" might get to the point to continental clean and push jerk it overhead. (wink) There are several new ideas brewing for the future and next year. I will keep you posted. RS

I stated 503 above because that was what was said on stage. Plus at one point they said it was 30lbs over the record which is 273.9lbs. My best backstage effort, using the replica set up, was 466lbs which is a PB for me. I thought I had 'spare' so hoped to get 1 with the 500.

From all the studying I did the heaviest axle lift done under contest conditions was 474. So, 500 was 26 lbs. above it. Both Odd and Andrew held the world highest mark before the previous 474 was done as well. It proved by even the unfinished reps by the 10 men on the stage were very highly qualified.RS

My 2 above should read 4. Janne's 215kg is 473.9 or, give or take, 474lbs. The announcer mislead with his statement as you'd previously said 500lbs hence my thinking 503lbs. But either way... it didn't move for me no more than 2" max. So I'll take my backstage 466lbs as a 26lbs PB and see if I can get 500lbs later this year.

One thing we all agreed on was having a $1000 on the line and 8000 watching on... was going to raise the bar. I know for sure several men will get 500lbs under strict contest conditions later this year.

Edited by mobsterone

Richard looks concerned, probably as he saw my leg and took a photo of it LOL.

More images up on facebook (Jedd's got his camera working) and links to some of me by other people are on my page.

What an amazing time. Along with the others, a HUGE thank you to Richard, Terry and Jan Todd for making this possible. Thank you to the rest of the Sorinex crew for all there help and everyone else involved.

Rich dominated, but I felt that grip strength as a whole was elevated beyond previous levels. I believe we will see some truly remarkable grip feats over the next year, because of the spark this event has created. I am sure that all who watched this take place went home and tried a grip feat of there own.

Time to get back to training. Besting Rich in something is my goal. Our next meeting will be the Sorinex Summer Strong event.

Andrew, if your goal is besting Rich in something, then it's already done, as you got more air under the Mark Henry bell :tongue :tongue