Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

Guys, if you look in the pic Steve posted above, look to Steve's right and you'll see a face popping up from the side of the stage near a gray bucket. That is Jeff Peterson, who used to be on the board up until about 2005. He was one of the guys that pushed me when I first got on the board. Pretty cool seeing him at MM and he was very supportive of everybody there.

-Jedd-

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

Was the 500 lb. axle knurled?

Actually in the pic, Jeff Peterson is to Steve's left and our right. My bad.

A bunch more now on my personal site (more coming).

Steve, couple of questions:

--Who is the guy in the white cowboy hat that shows up a few times?

--Who is the guy in the picture with you, Jedd, and Andrew. He has on blue shirt, hat, back pack? He looks familiar.

--What is the shot of a gripper attempt?

Also, thanks for taking photos of the models wink.gif

A bunch more now on my personal site (more coming).

Steve, couple of questions:

--Who is the guy in the white cowboy hat that shows up a few times?

--Who is the guy in the picture with you, Jedd, and Andrew. He has on blue shirt, hat, back pack? He looks familiar.

--What is the shot of a gripper attempt?

Also, thanks for taking photos of the models wink.gif

1. Travis Ortmayer, Strongman competitor

2. Sean Dockery

3. That's actually my arm. It was a #3 at one of the booths that I closed a few times. Just not that time :D

• 2 weeks later...

The 500lb barbell deadlift should have been a good event but the judging was an absolute joke....loads

of reps that were given were not!!.... looked really messy.... Double overhand 2" deadlift is a top event but it has to be done

right.. pointless otherwise..

The 500lb barbell deadlift should have been a good event but the judging was an absolute joke....loads

of reps that were given were not!!.... looked really messy.... Double overhand 2" deadlift is a top event but it has to be done

right.. pointless otherwise..

Yeah, I think that's more or less the consensus, scot. Great displays of power, but not nearly as great as you'd guess from looking at just the rep count without considering how loosely the reps were judged.

I think the judging was consistent, from what little I have seen. But it wasn't a DO axle lift judged to the standards of previous records. And this isn't just me being a whiny grip nerd, I don't give a crap who breaks whatever record.

Also, I think the event needed to be judged loosely for a good "show", otherwise it would have been Rich and Tex with a few reps, maybe Felix with one, and bombout for the rest.

Yes the judging maybe was consistent but consistently bad....from the point of view of it

looking better with loose judging and having less people bomb.... then in that case it was just to heavy

for most competitors to rep with, and look good for the spectators...

Just needs tighter rules... as in not allowing legs to help hold the bar.

The rules for this comp, Mighty Mitts, stated that a hitch to lockout was allowed. The judging was consistent within those rules which were sent to every competitor 5-7 weeks prior and maybe more weeks, I wasn't counting.

I'm tired of listening to the bickering.

The rules for this comp, Mighty Mitts, stated that a hitch to lockout was allowed. The judging was consistent within those rules which were sent to every competitor 5-7 weeks prior and maybe more weeks, I wasn't counting.

Quoting and reposting in a bigger, bolder font just so people don't miss it.

Yes the judging maybe was consistent but consistently bad....from the point of view of it

looking better with loose judging and having less people bomb.... then in that case it was just to heavy

for most competitors to rep with, and look good for the spectators...

Just needs tighter rules... as in not allowing legs to help hold the bar.

Yes, the hitching is licit. The problem is the failure of many to lock out their reps at the top, reps that were nevertheless counted. It was similar to how the IPA or SPF judges their deadlifts, maybe looser still.

I think Bob is right, when the goal is to cater to the crowd primarily rather than to serious sportsmen, the finer points of lifting--things like a good lockout--can be dispensed with. Joe Blow doesn't know the difference between locked out and almost locked out.

Analogously, the Harlem Globe Trotters aren't judged by strict NCAA judges when they are performing. So let them travel. Let the foul each other. It's an exhibition after all.

Likewise there's no sense in holding Mighty Mitts to strict lockout standards. It too was an exhibition.

Edited by The Natural

Found this one on facebook:

inchwalk.jpg

That's a very cool pic!! :mosher

Congrats to all the competitors and their great results!

I would think by now with all the post you have here Zach you of all people would realize that unless you make it jump out of the computer and hit them upside the head they're going to be some that miss it! :whacked

Edited by stew2

I would think by now with all the post you have here Zach you of all people would realize that unless you make it jump out of the computer and hit them upside the head they're going to be some that miss it! :whacked

Indubitably!

I'm sure that there is not much wrong with people's comprehension Zach, just that they don't all agree. Wasn't it you that used to post large tracts of text in an attempt to derail conversations that you didn't like, or am I thinking of someone else?

What i should have said.. is that i disagree that the rules allowed hitching( allowing legs to hold the bar instead of grip only)

This is only my opinion....every guy in this comp has monster strength.....i am sure mighty mitts will go from strength to strength!

I'm sure that there is not much wrong with people's comprehension Zach, just that they don't all agree. Wasn't it you that used to post large tracts of text in an attempt to derail conversations that you didn't like, or am I thinking of someone else?

That was a thread where I posted someone's video and didn't expect the typical non-competing crowd's reaction. What I don't agree with are people posting things about a sport they have no intentions of competing in. Especially when they only serve to incite semantical arguments and debate trivial aspects of single events or lifts ad infinitum without adding relevant data. This does not apply strictly to you. Not everyone's opinion is or should be valued the same.

Snide remarks don't do anything to further conversation either.

Zach,

You and I agree then that not everyone's opinions should be given the same weight - but that is up to the individual reader and not, I would say, for you or me to dictate. Linked to that is the idea that so-called "people who have no intention of competing" cannot have valid opinions or come up with useful ideas / procedures that can be applied to contests or training - the idea is either good or it isn't, so I've never understood that.

Edited by The Mac

Zach,

You and I agree then that not everyone's opinions should be given the same weight - but that is up to the individual reader and not, I would say, for you or me to dictate. Linked to that is the idea that so-called "people who have no intention of competing" cannot have valid opinions or come up with useful ideas / procedures that can be applied to contests or training - the idea is either good or it isn't, so I've never understood that.

Not targeted at anyone in particular, but it's very strange that this is an often-repeated thought concerning the "people who have no intention of competing" - when promoters talk about changing events to suit the audience! And the audience isn't competing. They're just watching. They might someday be competitors, but that doesn't change the fact that some contests are organized and events chosen based on what "looks impressive" to the general public.

I understand both sides of the issue because grippers are in my opinion extremely boring to watch. And the Weaver Stick was so boring even to me at the Dino Grip Challenge that I walked around during the event (when I wasn't doing my attempts).

I would argue that while the audience isn't competing they are participating.