Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

I've learned that the DB's used in the FW event at the Mighty Mitts competition will have 4.5" long handles, not 4" handles, and so they won't be official Inch DB's. This may be relevant to those who try to cater their training as much as possible to the actual events.

Slater Bells?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

Chads been pretty quiet, i wonder what heis up to?

Steve, i think you can get that second rep on the Monster bell, with all the people there watching, that will be an incredible adrenaline rush.

I was doing around 300lbs today on my set up. I think, as before I can get it out of the box as I plan on going to 330lbs for lots of singles in the last weeke before the Arnold on my set up (a la the Youtube video) but setting it down to one side? That's another story as it involved moving the weight to one side or using a foot (more or less unmoving) to 'toe' the box away. Of course this still means the bell needs to feel like the set up which I know is NOT the case (hence me going over the weight).

But I'm relying on a monster 'rush' of adrenalin. 8000 strength nuts urging you on... what a rush!

I've learned that the DB's used in the FW event at the Mighty Mitts competition will have 4.5" long handles, not 4" handles, and so they won't be official Inch DB's. This may be relevant to those who try to cater their training as much as possible to the actual events.

Slater Bells?

Has to be. Steve Slater being on the committee and all.

Chads been pretty quiet, i wonder what heis up to?

Steve, i think you can get that second rep on the Monster bell, with all the people there watching, that will be an incredible adrenaline rush.

Training real hard. I had an email or two some weeks ago before and then just after we knew we were in. Chad's one for 'going about his biz-nez' good n quiet.

Edited by mobsterone

Based on my conversation with the good folks at Slater Hardware, I inferred that the bells are solid cast iron like the Inch, but with longer handles. This was not explicitly stated however. In any case, it is a significant difference, as anyone who's played with an official Inch can tell you. 4 inches for a big handed guy is a snug fit.

Interesting change - wonder if it was just because of availability? The event loses some "Cache" if it's not Inch Dumbells IMO.

Having messed with a Slater Inch personally, I can tell you that they are almost perfect replicas. It sat next to an IM Inch at Gripmas last year, I didn't know it was a Slater bell until Slater himself told me.

30 second time limit may stop Mark pulling 10 reps, but I'm sure he will rep it from whistle to wistle and only time will decide when he stops. Weight will be like a warmup to someone who pulls around 900lb raw and that 2" bar in his hands will look like a std bar does in most of ours.

Edited by Stew

Interesting change - wonder if it was just because of availability? The event loses some "Cache" if it's not Inch Dumbells IMO.

So the answer to the question if the world record farmers walk of Joel Sword will be broken is a clear "NO"! This record is getting older and older...

Depends on how anal you want to be. After all there's only one original and every other one is a replica.

This is a disappointed change for the grip fans :(

Depends on how anal you want to be. After all there's only one original and every other one is a replica.

Sorry, I meant WR for InchDB Replica FW. That has really nothing to do with being like You expressed it. If I build a Euro-like setup and pinch 130kg on it and would say I own the world record in the Europinch everybody would say NO (And that would be OK!)! It's a simple as this...

No disappointment. It's an Inch replica. Lets stop debating the small stuff and concentrate on what this event is going to do to all of us here at the gripboard and to grip enthusiast everywhere.

All will be remarkable feats. Records are sure to be broken.

As for the Axle, I've seen many big-handed 700# + deadlifters fail to get 400# on an axle over their knees.

Having messed with a Slater Inch personally, I can tell you that they are almost perfect replicas. It sat next to an IM Inch at Gripmas last year, I didn't know it was a Slater bell until Slater himself told me.

Slaters stones are used for the strongman events, why wouldn't his replica inches be used for this event too, its all marketing.

Rico

No disappointment. It's an Inch replica. Lets stop debating the small stuff and concentrate on what this event is going to do to all of us here at the gripboard and to grip enthusiast everywhere.

Andrew, you may want to give them a call yourself to find out more details. Based on my conversation, the dumbbells that are made for the Mighty Mitts competition are not intended to be Inch replicas, only Inch-like. The choice to make the handle 1/2" longer was deliberate. It's not as if they were trying to get as close as possible but encountered a glitch.

As for the context of the conversation, I told the gentleman I spoke to that I may be driving to Columbus for the Arnold, and that I had heard rumor that Slater was now making Inch DB's. I said that picking one up while in Ohio would save me shipping costs. He told me they had made some Inch-like dumbbells for the Mighty Mitts competition, but that they were not Inch DB's, due to the handle difference, and that he could not honestly market them to me as Inch DB's. I asked him if he had any Inch replicas available, and he said I would have to wait, as they are not being made at this time.

This news isn't intended to create strife. It is only intended to make sure that the competitors have the best information available. Several of the participants are friends of mine, and I want them to encounter *no* surprises on the day of the event. I've already had some contestants thank me for the information in private, and so I think it's appreciated by at least some.

Edited by The Natural

Andrew, you may want to give them a call yourself to find out more details. Based on my conversation, the dumbbells that are made for the Mighty Mitts competition are not intended to be Inch replicas, only Inch-like. The choice to make the handle 1/2" longer was deliberate. It's not as if they were trying to get as close as possible but encountered a glitch.

I'm seeing inaccuracies in the emails they send out and on the Arnold site. There's even an angle for me which means the more stuff gets moved around and annoy's me the harder I train even if it's through gritted teeth. My back workout last week was done this way after the rule change 4 weeks out of the anvil. We're still not 100% as to exactly what time both the strongman and MM competitors are on stage. That half of those involved are Iron Game historians and are aware of the trials, tribulations and issues that have occurred through our history does raise an eyebrow. It also makes setting up any promotional interviews harder.

But all that needs changing is from 'with Inch replicas' to 'Inch-like'. I've got more problems getting my ass down low enough so I can get the grip I want on them and then standing up (worked on this yesterday) than I have walking or worrying about a half inch longer handle.

This is a disappointed change for the grip fans :(

No. No. No.

It should not be and I'll say why. Firstly I have no idea precisely how well made or accurate any of the other Inch dumbbell replicas used in any of the Inch dumbbell feats are. I'm one of the few that's actually lifted the 'real' Inch dumbbell prior to its sale (at an OHF dinner or two) and I never overly worry about it being one of the Holle Bells, a Heavy Grip tools bell, a Slater bell or whatever. I bend down and I pick up.

Those training for the MM will have one of the above (I am using Nick's HGT 'Inch' in one hand and a 60mm loaded handle in the other). It wont make that much of a difference and on the day we will ALL be using the SAME two dumbbells (assuming they do not get broken).

For those that obsess over such things might I suggest you need to go back and double check every single Inch related feat you can find in the records list and double check which tool was used. Then see how accurate the tools used were and so on. You might then become disappointed. Or just add an asterisk against an entry with a little mark to show which 'brand' was used.

I can tell you it'll make no difference to me when I'm next chalked up and ready to go and even less on the day. At worst one might ask Slater why they couldn't be more accurate?

Maybe I'm just the most laid back guy ever. Time changes and what I see as slight differences don't bother me. It's weight, lift it, walk with it, whatever.

It's that I've seen such changes many times in strongman. Usually to favour the buddies of the promoter. It goes something like 'we will do X' and then a few weeks out 'we've changed it'. Low and behold one finds out the promoters buddies have been using the 'changed to' since day 1. Cue me raging in the gym.

Of course. I will be doing what can be done when the time comes. I wont be on stage spouting off about 'another half inch!!' LOL :upsidedwn

Steve,

As we discussed a couple of weeks back, as competitors you and Andrew must have that "Just Get Down and Lift It" attitude. As a "Fan" who isn't lifting at the Mighty Mitts, I still think it's that little bit less cool that the Dumbells are not going to be, as close as possible, copies of the Inch - in the same way that, in a perfect world, it would be even cooler still if the 'bells used were the original Inch (I don't know, but I believe that the Woods have visited Columbus before?) and the "Mark Henry Clean & Press" that I believe still belong to Sorin?

Will the half inch make any difference to the placings on the day? I very much doubt it.

I was contacted by Dr. Todd today that said to please relay this message and will have an official press release to follow. In short, Steve Slater loyal facilitator of the Arnolds strongmen setup crew and provider of the Stones used in every Arnolds competition was dissapointed to find the Inch replicas he had made were incorrect in measurement as to the specs of the original. In order to preserve historical significance of the event and to ensure the value of the worthy world class attempts or records to be made, he and Terry requested that the first Inch replica used at the Arnold's strongman and the actual history making Inch replica that Mark Henry cleaned and pressed at the AOBS dinner be brought and used at the Mighty Mitts competition. I feel sure Mr. Slater will have this error worked out in due time and have a great product available for future Inch replica bell lifters. I applaud the honesty, extra time,monitary commitment , and effort on the part of Steve Slater and Dr. Todd it will take to offer these historically correct bells for use at Mighty Mitts 2010.RS

I was contacted by Dr. Todd today that said to please relay this message and will have an official press release to follow. In short, Steve Slater loyal facilitator of the Arnolds strongmen setup crew and provider of the Stones used in every Arnolds competition was dissapointed to find the Inch replicas he had made were incorrect in measurement as to the specs of the original. In order to preserve historical significance of the event and to ensure the value of the worthy world class attempts or records to be made, he and Terry requested that the first Inch replica used at the Arnold's strongman and the actual history making Inch replica that Mark Henry cleaned and pressed at the AOBS dinner be brought and used at the Mighty Mitts competition. I feel sure Mr. Slater will have this error worked out in due time and have a great product available for future Inch replica bell lifters. I applaud the honesty, extra time,monitary commitment , and effort on the part of Steve Slater and Dr. Todd it will take to offer these historically correct bells for use at Mighty Mitts 2010.RS

Very cool, Richard. Though I didn't want to say anything earlier, for fear it might be mis-interpreted, I think it's only appropriate that an event of this stature line up with iron game history and use Inch replicas. I'm glad the "duds" will not be used (some collector might want them though, as 'mistakes' tend to be worth a lot of money in cases like this).