Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

If I do it Joe what will you offer by way of humble pie??

I want to read the official rules for that feat first.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

What we have you'll have seen in this thread or on-line. But before you read the rules you stated 'it will not come out of the box'. So whether or not you get to read the rules other than the potential $1000.00 for the man or men that makes it what are you offering?

One should NEVER, in the Iron Game, state that a lift will not take place. Through out our history better men that you or I have proclaimed many silly things only to be proven wrong. From (and you can check this) squatting more than 500lbs (only 60+ years ago it was thought unlikely) to the 500+ clean and jerk. Every time a magazine predicted numbers they were beaten.

I've already pulled 330lbs on a 2.5-inch thick handled dumbbell. It takes more effort for me to get the bell not to spin when setting it up before lifting it than it does lifting the damned thing.

You're right Steve!

That's why I said it will not come out of the box.

I did not say this feat would NEVER be done. BIG difference!

At this competition/exhibition, I say it WILL NOT come out of the box.

Will it ever be accomplished? Very possible.

And yes, I want to see the rules. If it can be cheated in some way I'm not willing to

offer you or anyone else a piece of humble pie. No way!

Sounds like to me you already have the money in your pocket. At least in your mind.

Please don't try and twist what I say.

BTW, would you like to take me up on my offer with the TTK loaded to 110 lbs.???

If so, let me know and I'll give you or anyone else the details and put the money

up to a trusted 3rd party.

Thank you!

Edited by Mighty Joe

TTK? Not for now. I've 1 event (2 in May, 3 if you count 2 exhibitions in 2 days) every month until May and then another in July. Plus various other bits and bobs so the fewer challenges the better.

Back on topic: I had a reply or 2 from Dave Palumbo of RXMuscle.com/Species Nutrition who wants to film the MM event and interview us competitors. RX has 100,000+ members.

I've sent an email to Richard asking if he needs to get permission and so on. I'm still waiting (I only sent out feelers Friday afternoon) for some magazines to get back to me.

Gotta big this up as much as possible!!

I'm thinking it's going to be lifted - if it isn't it's going to be the biggest damp squib possible for the sport. Regardless of camera angles etc, for the thousands of spectators, it's going to be a lot of grunting and groaning over a BOX.

TTK? Not for now. I've 1 event (2 in May, 3 if you count 2 exhibitions in 2 days) every month until May and then another in July. Plus various other bits and bobs so the fewer challenges the better.

Back on topic: I had a reply or 2 from Dave Palumbo of RXMuscle.com/Species Nutrition who wants to film the MM event and interview us competitors. RX has 100,000+ members.

I've sent an email to Richard asking if he needs to get permission and so on. I'm still waiting (I only sent out feelers Friday afternoon) for some magazines to get back to me.

Gotta big this up as much as possible!!

I wish you nothing but the BEST Steve!

I'm trying to fiqure out how I can go to the Arnold too.

I'd love to meet you and some other GB members in person.

Guest Bullitt

From Mark Felix Facebook:

Great time in l.a didnt win any of the event's but came 2nd overall, earned me a spot as first alternate at teh Arnold classic in ohio in march. Regardless Ill be there if not doing the strongman ill be competing in the mighty mitt's event. So Im now in serious training.

Great time in l.a didnt win any of the event's but came 2nd overall, earned me a spot as first alternate at teh Arnold classic in ohio in march. Regardless Ill be there if not doing the strongman ill be competing in the mighty mitt's event. So Im now in serious training.

Between either not competing at all or a middling to bad performance at the strongman show, and making 2 to 4 thousand doing the grip show, it's hard for me to understand the hesitation, at least from a purely financial perspective.

I'm going to guess most of the hotels within walking distance or that run shuttles are already full. But Columbus has about a million hotels. If several of you got a room together and shared a rental car - you could save quite a bit of money. If you stay outside of town - you can probably get a room fairly cheap. And while parking sucks - you can always find a place and walk a few blocks. Make it happen!

Not hesitation but as I said before. He's a reserve (see bold above). He's looked after by MetRx so it costs him f'all to go. If he's in the strength event I'd bet they get their costs covered anyway and, of course, you only get bucks in the MM event if you win or tie for first.

I'm hoping they do the RT with him there cos if I am on form I fancy my chances against Mark.

The Monster Bell is slowly breathing itself to life. I has become quite a project. I worked on it with my crew and several specialty production companies for three full days. The machining itself is monumental. We have literally a "room " of razor sharp cobalt blue ribbons of shaved steel with more to come. It will be one expensive "one of a kind" I will tell you that. I think from where we left off it will be a show stopper!As mentioned the bar will be 2" diameter the length of a regular Olympic bar distance between the collars. The ends will be 2 feet in diameter. The "look" if all comes together as planned will be something beautiful. When it is finished It will be brought straight to the Arnold's Classic with the Mighty Mitts immortals being first to touch or ever lift it. RS

Nice. Is the area where the hands go knurled or can we get it all chalked up and seasoned? Slick cobalt blue steel is that little bit hard to grip :whistel

Richard,

You should have a section on your site entitled the making of, and have lots of picks of the frabication, it would be cool to see for everyone to see. Who actually ownes it when its all over?

Rico

I did get some crude pictures but I did make a mistake not getting lots of pictures... some of the sights I was privy to see would have blown you away. The bar is not cobalt..cobalt blue is a color that steel shavings can turn when machined .On just one piece the shavings where my height and coiled big as a car. The bar being virgin steel and to be displayed will have a very light knurl but nothing aggressive just something to take the shiny slickness away.. I wish it was just naturally rusted but there is not time or instant process available. I own the Monster bar as well as the Circus Bell. They with their list of successful lifters will be on display at the Stark Center Strength museum in Austin Texas. My intention in making them is to make a part of strength history not sell it.RS

Cool, do you intend to have them used for other contests, of will they be up for hire in the future.

Rico

I can't wait to see it Richard, you always come up with great products and do it right the first time. This will be something to behold.

Those shavings do get carried away don't they? Funny thing, they change colors pending on, type of steel, speed turned, etc. It all works up to the heat and carbon content. I've had some that look golden before. Hot as heck when they reach out and touch you. To bad I have thus far come up with no use for them.

Thanks again Richard, looking forward to "meeting" the newest member of the family. lol

Things are moving ahead like a runaway train! The Monster bell is coming out great. People worldwide and sponsors showing great interest and support. Plans for next year already starting. And to absolutely top it off is the most recognized athlete of the 1970's according to Sports Illustrated was not the great Ali but the Russian weightlifting ace Vasily Alexeev (83 world records)! To commerate his earth shattering "first" 500 lb clean and Jerk (done in Columbus) 40 years later they are hosting him at the Arnolds, Vasily as per Dr. Todd will be there Friday for the Monster Bell to be lifted in the Mighty Mitts challenge. They are hoping to include him as a judge for the event! Little did I know 40 years ago when his picture alone hung on my athletic dorm wall I would get to meet him standing over my Monster Bell!RS

Things are moving ahead like a runaway train! The Monster bell is coming out great. People worldwide and sponsors showing great interest and support. Plans for next year already starting. And to absolutely top it off is the most recognized athlete of the 1970's according to Sports Illustrated was not the great Ali but the Russian weightlifting ace Vasily Alexeev (83 world records)! To commerate his earth shattering "first" 500 lb clean and Jerk (done in Columbus) 40 years later they are hosting him at the Arnolds, Vasily as per Dr. Todd will be there Friday for the Monster Bell to be lifted in the Mighty Mitts challenge. They are hoping to include him as a judge for the event! Little did I know 40 years ago when his picture alone hung on my athletic dorm wall I would get to meet him standing over my Monster Bell!RS

I do not have a strong enough grasp of the english language to accurately describe how awesome this is.

Video - check

Spare card for camera - check

Spare batteries - check

Cough drops - for the sore throat I'm going to have - Check

Guest Bullitt

I do not have a strong enough grasp of the english language to accurately describe how awesome this is.

I can vouch for this. His English language skills are pretty poor. :laugh

Zach is also right on his second point. This is freakin' awesome!!! :mosher

Edited by Bullitt

It will be an honor to stand in his presence and feed off of his strength.

I'll bring my limited Russian language knowledge. He can help me study before my trip to St. Petersburg this May.

Every person in the place had individually the same strange reaction to the news......All pretty well knew of him, but.....when told each person had the hairs on their forearms stand up. I thought it was crazy but when I heard it happened to me as well.I would like to see what greatness looks like. I have saved his book for years dreaming for the man that put weightlifting on the map one day to sign it....I may just get my wish.RS

I'm not much of a fan boy. I rarely if ever ask for autographs, get photos taken with people and so on.... but there are going to be some GREAT names on stage with us. I've just had another update (via Jan Todd this time) and we've also got Dennis Rogers reffing and doing a bit of what he does on stage too.

Given that we've Kaz, Sven, Vasily Alexeev and more... all on stage while we do our thing. Words fail me.

I'm about to do some Anvil stuff and the only black cloud today is it's now to the side and not straddle.

I've written to Jan Tood regarding the rule change on the Anvil walk this morning. I think it's a bad idea but suggested we might have the option. I also raised an eyebrow at her inference in the first part of her email I received Saturday afternoon regarding input from those who, in her words 'to be open to suggestions from those of you who’ve done a lot of grip work and thought a lot about hand strength'. If anyone we know is sending suggestions can they keep the others informed (by posting here or by cc'ing or bcc'ing in emails) so we can have an open and honest discussion.

For example, I saw the Sorinex trained athletes (there's a Youtube video) using the side pick up on the anvil and while I CAN carry it that way with my back injuries (I'm off for physio on Wednesday) I'd prefer a straddle style. It's no less a test of grip than the other method. I also gave the 'new' version some time yesterday and the damn set up hits my calves something awful.

Thoughts please: