Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

Richard, I agree. I think we should be very happy this is happening in the first place and that we are getting a place at the table.

I appreciate the efforts of all involved.

as to the Henry Bell. I'd place a very large wager that yes he has. I would about bet my mortgage on it. The box is the story here, not the dumbbell. It turns this lift away from a traditional thick handled DB like the Inch or the Millennium, and turns it more into a wrist curl/finger lift. The box creates a net negative spin, thus it's not comparable to the inch or the millenium. Totally different lift. It's not even a true DB lift.

You pull the bell into the box on the finger side, and "roll" the bell up the box. Now the bell will not roll in your hand, but it does negate the spin towards the thumb. The friction on the box is far less troublesome than the spin to the thumb, and you can lift more than you could without the box.

Try it at home, not hard to set up, you don't even need a true box. just something about the 10 inches high that you can brace with your leg to keep it stationary. Lift away. I'm now using this genius concept (thanks to the contest organizers) as a training tool to get better and lifting my Graciebell.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

The Jowett anvil resided for many years unlifted in a small gym south of Austin Texas. The Gym owner stated by estimate years ago it was 163 by the stamped marks not realizing anvils are marked in hundred weight or 112 lbs. or fractions therof. Thus for example a 1-2-6 marked anvil in old times and sold by the pound "should weigh" 112+56+6=174lbs. The first number being hundred weight, second quarters of hundred weight, and the third pounds. Since no one lifted it I guess the gym owner was "satisfied" at the 163 estimate. The historical value of this anvil is just as or more important than its weight so, when I urged Dr. Todd to get "the baby" weighed he promptly did.I suggest since he is bending over backward to make this all work and is saddled with the responsibility of Mighty Mitts, the Stark Strength Center grand opening, AND the Arnold's strongman we consider his time as well and be respectfully patient. RS

I didn't know that about the stamping on an anvil - good info - thanks.

The Jowett anvil resided for many years unlifted in a small gym south of Austin Texas. The Gym owner stated by estimate years ago it was 163 by the stamped marks not realizing anvils are marked in hundred weight or 112 lbs. or fractions therof. Thus for example a 1-2-6 marked anvil in old times and sold by the pound "should weigh" 112+56+6=174lbs. The first number being hundred weight, second quarters of hundred weight, and the third pounds. Since no one lifted it I guess the gym owner was "satisfied" at the 163 estimate. The historical value of this anvil is just as or more important than its weight so, when I urged Dr. Todd to get "the baby" weighed he promptly did.I suggest since he is bending over backward to make this all work and is saddled with the responsibility of Mighty Mitts, the Stark Strength Center grand opening, AND the Arnold's strongman we consider his time as well and be respectfully patient. RS

Hi Richard. I agree but... I'm by no means rich. So if I wait until all of the above is done and dusted it may double my travelling costs. I know that 100000+ visitors attend the weekend as do 25000 athletes. As it's unlikely some kind and generous soul is going to post my flight tickets, hotel costs, food costs and so on the sooner I get on with getting these paid for the better. The longer I leave them, sitting and waiting, the higher my costs of getting there. Hence, as you might imagine, my frustration. It's not a lack of gratitude.

As for the weight of the Jowett anvil. I'm a fan of historical accuracy as well as wanting to know what's what so I can train for them. Without checking I know that the anvil is many, many years old and has, as I said, been quoted as this number and that. With the talents for blurring the truth old-time strongmen were more than capable of combined with the fact, as you say, of old anvils being marked as you described I'm taken aback it took your intervention NOW to find out what it weighs after all this time. I had to update the weight I gave on the Millennium dumbbell only because we used more accurate scales not because of any confusion. You will, of course, be aware of that stickler of accuracy going by the name of Joe Roark... ahem :laugh

Richard, I agree. I think we should be very happy this is happening in the first place and that we are getting a place at the table.

I appreciate the efforts of all involved.

as to the Henry Bell. I'd place a very large wager that yes he has. I would about bet my mortgage on it. The box is the story here, not the dumbbell. It turns this lift away from a traditional thick handled DB like the Inch or the Millennium, and turns it more into a wrist curl/finger lift. The box creates a net negative spin, thus it's not comparable to the inch or the millenium. Totally different lift. It's not even a true DB lift.

You pull the bell into the box on the finger side, and "roll" the bell up the box. Now the bell will not roll in your hand, but it does negate the spin towards the thumb. The friction on the box is far less troublesome than the spin to the thumb, and you can lift more than you could without the box.

Try it at home, not hard to set up, you don't even need a true box. just something about the 10 inches high that you can brace with your leg to keep it stationary. Lift away. I'm now using this genius concept (thanks to the contest organizers) as a training tool to get better and lifting my Graciebell.

300lbs, rolled up by the fingers of one hand?? I wish!! Perhaps a little YT clip (doesn't need to be heavy) over the weekend? Does it work in the same way as John Wood's T-shirt preventing the roll in his Millennium dumbbell hold?

On a different subject: I emailed and contacted a few of the magazine publishers and forum owners regarding whether or not they might want a write up, photos and so on for their magazines. Publicity etc etc

No worries steve, I'll go out to the garage and film one right now. I'm not too savy on youtube, but i'll do my best. Be back in a bit.

MR. Henry never lifted the bell his best is 285 on a handle that size. I don't think he tried it from the box however. The bell is not wedged tight in the box and it( the box) weighs about 50 lbs. I think there is no "trick" intended with the box and with the judges that might be present would view attempts to lift the thing in "other" than a straight forward, forthright way might be called out as infractions. Personally,representing my self, my country, and the grip world,I don't think I would be trying anything "cute" on THAT stage.RS

Here it is guys

my forearm was fried from doing this about 5 times last night and couldn't finish it at the top. But you see the difference with and without the box.

Here it is guys

my forearm was fried from doing this about 5 times last night and couldn't finish it at the top. But you see the difference with and without the box.

I don't think that would work too well with the box in question. I have a bell very similar to the MH bell, and it used to weigh 246lbs. Were someone to lift it, even if they lifted it beautifully with no tilt, I cannot imagine that it would not ride up one of their legs near knee-level. I base this idea on the assumption that most competitors will be using a straddle strance for that event. I was under the impression that the goal was to lift the bell out of the box. If that is so, then how is lifting the bell AND the box going to benefit?

well, I think, again, don't have a box, but i would think that if you straddled the box, the left leg would hold the left side in place and prevent the box riding up like my "box" did. You would not be lifting the box.

the fact that it's a box would make it easier than what i did as the left leg could keep the box steady.

I fully admit i may be way over thinking this. But as Climber, he just tried it.

I'm not saying that this makes the 300 pounds easy, far from it. My little 146 lb bell is dang hard like this, and fried my forearm.

I'm not trying to discredit this lift in anyway, anyone who does it will have my immediate and full respect.

MR. Henry never lifted the bell his best is 285 on a handle that size. I don't think he tried it from the box however. The bell is not wedged tight in the box and it( the box) weighs about 50 lbs. I think there is no "trick" intended with the box and with the judges that might be present would view attempts to lift the thing in "other" than a straight forward, forthright way might be called out as infractions. Personally,representing my self, my country, and the grip world,I don't think I would be trying anything "cute" on THAT stage.RS

Hence the wait for rules...

Guest Bullitt

Dr. Todd sent this to Joe Roark. Has some travel information as well as some clarification on the lifts. It was posted to the Iron History site by Joe yesterday. Hotel info toward bottom of page Steve. It does state that the MH bell must be lifted out of the box without tipping the box over. So it doesn't sound like you can brace the box with your legs. This will decrease the amount of friction you would be able to get using Weldon's ingenious method. :)

MIGHTY MITTS

In 2010, in addition to the Arnold Strongman Classic's traditional tests of total body strength, there will be a new feature for the crowds at the Expo Center. This new feature, "Mighty Mitts," is sponsored by MHP, and it will not involve our Strongman competitors. Instead, it will showcase between eight and ten men who are world-famous for the strength of their hands. These men will face four challenges and can win up to $1000 per event. These challenges will take place on the Expo Stage on Friday and Saturday immediately before and after our Strongman events.

An entirely new competition, Mighty Mitts will be an extra attraction for fans of Strongman contests as well as for aficionados of "grip feats." We believe that Mighty Mitts will provide even more excitement for the tens of thousands of people who watch the Strongman contest every year.

The Mighty Mitts Challenges for 2010 will consist of:

1. The Jowett Anvil--In the early years of the 20th century, George F. Jowett was a very prominent figure in the physical culture world as a writer, lifter, and promoter. One of the stunts for which he is most famous featured a large blacksmith's anvil, which he supposedly gripped by the horn with one hand, swung up to his shoulder, flipped so that he caught it upside down in his hand, and then pressed over his head. Jowett claimed to be the only man who could

do this feat. However, leading strength historians are in agreement that Jowett--who was also famous for his exaggerations--never made such a lift. In any case, Jowett's own anvil will be used in the challenge. It weighs approximately 163 pounds and will be placed on the platform with its horn pointing upward. The challenge will be to simply grasp it by the horn with either hand, lift it off the ground and walk/run as far as possible forth and back across the front part of the 50’ stage within 30 seconds. The prize-money ($1000) will go to the man who carries it the greatest distance. Only chalk will be allowed for this challenge and for all others. Attached are several photos of the anvil, and measurements of the horn.

2. Sorin's Monster--Richard Sorin, founder and owner of the Sorinex Equipment Company and himself one of the legends of hand strength, will provide a huge, circus-type barbell weighing approximately 500 pounds and featuring a bar two inches in diameter; this bar will not rotate within the spheres in any way. The challenge will be to deadlift the bar for as many repetitions as possible within 30 seconds using a double-overhand (pronated) grip. Sumo and traditional deadlifting styles are both permitted and the bell may be "hitched" on the way up as long as the lifter is standing straight at the end of the lift. The barbell will have to touch the platform on every rep after the referee has given the "Down" signal, and a "hook grip" will not be allowed. A contestant may put the barbell down between reps if he likes, or he may simply touch the platform before making another attempt to deadlift it. If no one deadlifts the Monster the prize-money will be given to the man who pulls the bar the greatest distance off the platform, and if more than one person makes at least one successful lift and there is a tie in the number of reps the prize-money will be split.

3. The Inch Dumbbell--Named in honor of the English strongman and weightlifter Thomas Inch, the original Inch Dumbbell weighs 172 pounds and has a handle almost 2.5" in diameter. The bell was made approximately 100 years ago, and for many years very few men were able to lift it off the floor. Once replicas of the original implement began to be manufactured, however, a number of men trained until they could deadlift one. A few men have been able to deadlift two Inch Bells and walk a short distance with them, and so the challenge at the Mighty Mitts event will be to do exactly that--to deadlift two Inch Bells with the dumbbell handles remaining approximately parallel to the platform throughout the deadlift portion of the feat, and attempt to walk across the front of the 50' Expo Stage, go around a large, solid marker, then go back the other way without dropping either one, and then repeat the process. The distance for each competitor will be marked at the place where the first dumbbell hits the floor. Competitors will not be allowed to hold the dumbbells tightly against their waists, thighs, or hips during the attempt.

4. The Mark Henry Bell-About three or four years ago, Mark Henry decided to have a dumbbell made weighing approximately 250 pounds. However, the machine shop that built Henry's bell made a miscalculation when they cut the pieces of 9" bar-stock used for the "canister" weights at each end of the short handle. The result was a dumbbell, with a handle 2.5" thick and 6" long, which weighed not 250 pounds but 300 pounds. We called it the "Mistake Bell," and even though Henry was unable to lift it, he decided to leave it as it was so that it would remain as a challenge for everyone. Shortly after the Henry Bell was made, a small but heavy box (50 pounds) was built for it so that it would be easier to carry, and the challenge will be to lift the bell all the way out of its box with one hand without tipping the box over. If more than one person succeeds, the prize-money will be split. Although we hope that one of our Grandmasters of Grip will be able raise the Henry Bell out of its box in 2010, we know that a man will come along one day who will do it, and we intend to bring it to Columbus every year until someone does. A photo of the Henry Bell in its box is attached.

The winner of each of these challenges can earn up to $1000 as well as lasting fame, and his name will be placed permanently on a plaque at the Joe and Betty Weider Museum of Physical Culture at the University of Texas. It is not necessary for a challenger to attempt all four of our events, and no overall winner will be selected in 2010.

We believe that the Grip Giants who have been selected to take part in this event are the very best in the world and we fully expect that world records will be broken in MHP’s Mighty Mitts event. The contestants are, alphabetically:

1. Andrew Durniat

2. Mark Felix (unless he takes part in the Arnold Strongman Classic)

3. Steve Gardener

4. Wade Gillingham

5. Odd Haugen

6. Tex Henderson

7. Mark Henry (if his wrestling schedule permits)

8. Jedd Johnson

9. Chad Waddell

10. Rich Williams

Jim Lorimer refers to the Arnold Sports Festival as "Strength Heaven," and the introduction of these unprecedented grip challenges has added a new attraction to the festival--an attraction which should stimulate strong men everywhere to push back the boundaries of hand strength.

INFORMATION FOR COMPETITORS—Those who need a room should reserve one right away. I called the “Arnold” office and was told that the best available place as of today was the new Hampton Inn (614-473-9911) near downtown. They have a shuttle to the Expo Center, a breakfast buffet, and the rate is $119 a night if you tell them you’re with the Arnold Sports Festival. The Arnold Strongman Classic (ASC) and Mighty Mitts (MM) will have the stage from 3:00 to 6:00 on Friday and from 1:30 to 4:00 on Saturday. We need to have a pre-contest meeting on Friday, and you should come to the main stage at the Expo Center at 1:00 P.M. so we can discuss the events and so you can get your t-shirts for the contest. Go to “will-call” at anytime on Friday for your wrist-bands. We think we know what sizes to buy for each of you, but it would be good if you could send those sizes now. Also, let me know if you need an extra wrist-band or two.

Please direct all inquiries to:

Terry Todd, Ph.D.

Director, the H. J. Lutcher Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports

403 23rd Street, NEZ 5.700

The University of Texas, D3600

Austin, TX 78712

512-471-0992 (Stark Center)

512-657-5642 (mobile)

Cheers. Very, very useful. I'll look into the flights etc and have already been offered room and board by a very kind GB member. The box weighing 50lbs itself is very interesting. I note, with regards my previous comment and in light of Richards, the anvils now incorrect weight. Oh and we're down to a deffo 4 events. Coolio.

I also emailed MHP regarding that they usually have some sort of grip strength test on their stand and so it's very nice to see that they stepped up and sponsored this event.

I should add that I emailed MHP prior to seeing the above. It also looks like the info was probably in the document I was unable to open because my PC did not recognize it that Terry sent previously.

I see my name's now right but Chad's surname... it's Woodall.

Edited by mobsterone

Whilst not wanting to bring shame to the grip world if I was on that stage competing for the win and $1000 dollars in the inuagural event of its kind I'd lift that bell whatever way was easiest no matter how "cute" unless it was precluded from the rules (I would be very surprised if at least some of the competitors dont feel the same way).

Hopefully a full set of rules will be drawn up to prevent any such contraversy from happening at such a huge event.

Just booked my flight.

All right! We were worried that if you waited too long it would be cost-prohibitive. Also, sometimes there are "no-shows" and then there is the woulda shoulda coulda lamenting that we display ("Well if such and such were there, the results would have been different")

That's great Steve :rock

Once I knew for sure we were going to be making our own ways etc it was job done.

hey look who the MC may be for you guys. it would be cool if he did the mighty mitts too. from ironmind today

rico

"Although he is retired from competition, Svend “Viking” Karlsen remains heavily involved in strongman, promoting contests, producing TV shows, and working on a variety of related projects—Karlsen said that he has just agreed to be the onstage announcer for the 2010 Arnold strongman contest".

As Terry doesn't BCC his emails I've seen some great names on the extended rosta.

I'll say this, Climber and I just talked this through, the Henry Bell will be lifted at this contest. It's not even a question.

You got me thinking Steve. I think we got it figured out. Genius for the show, but the gripsters will figure it out with enough time.

I SAY THE BELL WILL NOT GET LIFTED OUT OF THE BOX.

Further, why would any competitor want to use any means but pure grip

strength to perform this feat. I wouldn't call it a good lift if the box

was used as an obvious advantage. Yes, the bell will touch the box for sure

but using the box somehow to make it easier is cheating yourself and the spectators.

It's safe to say the rules will nip your idea in the butt.

Good luck to all who try!

I am confident the bell will come out of that box.

^ ditto :mosher

^ Double ditto :mosher He is the thick bar daddy after all