Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

Nice that they've changed it but it'll make no odds when I'm walking. Get my ass down and pull!!!

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

Of course. I will be doing what can be done when the time comes. I wont be on stage spouting off about 'another half inch!!' LOL :upsidedwn

TheOffice-ThatsWhatSheSaid-Michael.jpg

Ahh takes me back to Chad's comp again. It made me laugh the whole weekend. :upsidedwn

I was contacted by Dr. Todd today that said to please relay this message and will have an official press release to follow. In short, Steve Slater loyal facilitator of the Arnolds strongmen setup crew and provider of the Stones used in every Arnolds competition was dissapointed to find the Inch replicas he had made were incorrect in measurement as to the specs of the original. In order to preserve historical significance of the event and to ensure the value of the worthy world class attempts or records to be made, he and Terry requested that the first Inch replica used at the Arnold's strongman and the actual history making Inch replica that Mark Henry cleaned and pressed at the AOBS dinner be brought and used at the Mighty Mitts competition. I feel sure Mr. Slater will have this error worked out in due time and have a great product available for future Inch replica bell lifters. I applaud the honesty, extra time,monitary commitment , and effort on the part of Steve Slater and Dr. Todd it will take to offer these historically correct bells for use at Mighty Mitts 2010.RS

Great news, Richard!! :rock

yes good decision it would be better for the show as well. id bet if slaters could get some replicas pumped out in time for the show they would be able to sell a boatload with all those people there. But probally too soon though i would think that making a replica would take some time unless one had a production line.

rico

Nah. Spending the best part of 600 bucks or so on what are really only heavy trinkets... it's like adding chrome pipes to your exhaust for the majority of the Arnold crowd. Nice to have but just heavy ass toys. Plus most will fly in.

If they could etc etc I'm sure they'd have a few pre-order and collect but it'd be 3-4 orders max.

News About the Inch Dumbbells event in the Mighty Mitts contest:

I got a call yesterday from Steve Slater, who has been a major part of the Arnold Strongman Classic since it began almost ten years ago. Steve organizes and oversees our large crew of spotter/loaders and, from one ASC to another, he takes care of our equipment and builds many of the implements and staging that we need. This year, when we decided to have a type of Farmer’s Walk using a pair of Inch replicas as one of the Mighty Mitts events, Steve offered to provide the bells since he was planning to begin having them made in the Columbus area and marketing them. In any case, he called me yesterday to tell me that he had just picked up the first pair and that there was a problem. The problem was that the dumbbell handles, instead of being approximately four inches long, were about a half inch too long. Naturally, we both knew that this sort of discrepancy wouldn’t work, and I told him I’d call Richard Sorin and other members of our committee so a decision could be made about what to do.

Everyone to whom I spoke agreed that we had to find two suitable Inch replicas as substitutes since it might not be possible for the foundry which made the mistake with Steve’s bells to correct their miscalculation in time for the “Arnold.” Not unexpectedly, Richard Sorin came up with the best idea, which was that he had two historically significant replicas that he’d bring to Columbus for Mighty Mitts.

One of the bells was the one we used at the end of the first Arnold Strongman Classic. Richard brought it to Columbus that year so we could use it in case there was a two or three-way tie for first place. In that case the win would go to the man who lifted the replica the greatest distance off the floor with one hand without touching it with any other part of his body. As it turned out, Mark Henry won the overall contest handily, so there was no need to try the Inch. Even so, Jim Lorimer, the organizer of the Arnold Sports Festival, wanted the men to do something for the audience on the Auditorium stage on Saturday night, and so he offered to give $1000 to the Strongman who could pull the bell the highest. Only about half of the men tried it and—no great surprise—Mark won that friendly contest too.

The other replica was brought to the Association of Oldetime Barbell and Strongmen dinner in New York City a year or so later so that Mark Henry could make an official attempt to become the first man in history to clean an Inch replica with one hand and put it over his head. As everyone in the grip world knows, Mark did just that in front of many hand-strength experts and performers. So, to bring the story to a close, Richard is going to carry these two famous replicas to Columbus, Ohio, and we’ll use them in the 2010 Mighty Mitts contest. How far will the bells be carried? You should all try to be there to see history being made.

Edited by goergen1

To clarify..The Press release that Goergen put up is Dr. Todds press release. He(Dr. Todd) asked us to get it posted.RS

Maybe I'm just the most laid back guy ever. Time changes and what I see as slight differences don't bother me. It's weight, lift it, walk with it, whatever.

I'm going to save this in my great quotes file. Now if I could only lift or walk with it, it would be even better :tongue

Don't save it just yet. If they changed the time by a week and Andrew came too early or too late it'd be a different story he he.

• 2 weeks later...

Too late for me to get printed on a t-shirt one of the guys here designed this for me for the Arnold weekend:

357fvnl.jpg

Too late for me to get printed on a t-shirt one of the guys here designed this for me for the Arnold weekend:

357fvnl.jpg

That's awesome!

I thought so. The only way it could be better would be to have some grip effect in the background. As I say for me to get it done on a shirt I need more time otherwise I'd wear this for the 2 days :D

Oh: They got the site sorted but no profiles: http://www.arnoldstrongmanclassic.com/events.html

Edited by mobsterone

Too bad Brian Shaw isn't on the list. If I remember correctly he lifted the circus dumbell and seemed to do it with ease, at least with much more ease than others who did it that day, like Tex.

This is what I had in mind, I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivz0ysCFr8

Just look at Shaw lifting, holding, smiling, giving thumbs up with his other hand. A true shame he's not competing in the Mighty Mitts.

Good lord, he lifted that like it was gym bag!

Haha, don't worry mobster I'll still cheer for you, and will settle for some backstage strength feats that end up in Youtube, done by the Mighty Mitts participants and others, such as him hopefully, heh.

So if a video of Shaw lifting the Mark Henry bell leaks to youtube I'll be the first to post a comment saying "Can you clean and press it with one hand? Also, while you're at it, can you please try a CCS of the #4 and post a vid?". :yikes couldn't resist! :P

So today was my last training session before the Mighty Mitts event. I know that a few of us are of the mind set that this is quite by far the biggest moment, thus far, we may have on any lifting platform. With crowds of 8000 and more, through the day (as per a comment of Richard's) 25,000 to 40,000 and that's without some of the legends of the iron game we'll be on stage with.

Quite a moment...

So I've been watching Andrew D's and Wade G's blogs. Wade, especially, seems to be of a similar mind-set to mine. It has day's when Inch pick-ups are on and days when they are not. But I'm sure every grip guy I know has been training like monsters for a big, big day.

But I'm also a realist. So here's my 'how I'll think I'll do'.

Day 1

Anvil

I hate the whole 'holding it to one side' rule. A combination of time scale and my always there back issue means the style is not one for me. That NO strongman event I've ever heard of carries 170+ pounds to one side (because of the risk of injury) is by-the-by. I'm also not that fast a mover regardless of whether it's straddled or 'suitcased'. Anyway... I can, I think, pick up either way 173lbs quite easily but will, if the wind favours me, get it across the stage. That'll do me .

Inch farmers walk

Strength - check. Form - hmm. Every time I do this with the right weight it's ugly, ugly, ugly. Whether it's my tight back making pick-ups hard or using a higher pick up and seemingly pounding my legs with every step I make knocking feet of any effort I might have made otherwise... it's going to be a touch-n-go affair. I may go 6 feet or 50 feet but I think the record is safe from me.

Day 2

Double overhand thick bar.

No one, in modern grip competitions, has thus far done 500lbs. Andrew D has been close and we know he's had air under 507. We know Chris James did 500 recently but in the gym. Those in the know can see Mark Felix having the strength to rep the circus style bell we'll be using.

Me? I think I can do a rep now. Today I did 3 x 1 with 200-kilos in what is my best ever double overhand deadlift workout. One rep with 227.5 or whatever is, I think, just possible. It wont win but it'll make me very, very happy.

Mark Henry dumbbell

This is my event to lose. I'm not saying this to knock anyone else's efforts because I don't know what everyone else has been doing or what they might be capable of but I know what I have been doing and what I can do given the pressure. Yesterday I did 3 x 1 reps with 150-kilos loaded (so about 337lbs or so) and got air under a 160-kilo load. The issue, such as it is, is not lifting the bell up. Damn it I think I can lift the box too, but shaking or having the the box slip free and then setting the bell to one side without knocking the crate over. But as it's the last event we'll do I'll bust a gut and bleed if need be.

Come what may this is and will be a VERY big deal for all those competing. If you've done or about to do your last sessions best of luck. Win, lose or draw I'll be happy to see you all do your very, very best. It'll be an honour being on the platform with you all.

PS: I want the grip freaks in the crowd to scream themselves hoarse for all our grip buds. C'MONNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!! :mosher :mosher :mosher

Great post Mob! I'll be there cheering you and the other grip guys on!