Push Press Race!

CoC#3

We all have those sessions from time to time, just write it off and give it hell next time!

Today's overheads,

barx10

132x5

200x3

250x3

286x2

308x4

308x5

last 2 sets are rep PRs. My technique was poor today, shaky, and the leg drive felt weak. I managed to get a good push jerk on some of the reps but most were just a bounce up and down and a press out through the top half of the lift.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• MANTHOS

• The Natural

• climber511

We all have those sessions from time to time, just write it off and give it hell next time!

Today's overheads,

barx10

132x5

200x3

250x3

286x2

308x4

308x5

last 2 sets are rep PRs. My technique was poor today, shaky, and the leg drive felt weak. I managed to get a good push jerk on some of the reps but most were just a bounce up and down and a press out through the top half of the lift.

Nice work Sam! :rock

My friend you're getting stronger day by day...!! :rock:rock

YES!!!

Finally hit my goal on strict seated overhead press!

Today's workout from pins at eye level.

warm up: 1X10 each arm with 20lb kettlebells

Work sets:

115X8

155X6

185X3

205X1

225X1 PR

I never did get a chance to go to Gold's and try out my push press. :angry:

YES!!!

Work sets:

115X8

155X6

185X3

205X1

225X1 PR

Well done Mike! :rock

One PR after another....May always be like that my friend!!!! :rock:rock

YES!!!

Work sets:

115X8

155X6

185X3

205X1

225X1 PR

Well done Mike! :rock

One PR after another....May always be like that my friend!!!! :rock:rock

Thanks my friend. Not anywhere close to what you monsters are pressing, but this was huge for me. I would like to get it up around 250 in the next few months.

Congrats Mike!

Thats a great lift.

Welldone Mike that is a big seated press!

Today i did some seated strict press, starting at nose height, 220x8x1. For some reason i find strict seated a lot harder than strict standing, even though i start with the bar higher (nose height as opposed to a racked position when doing it standing).

I also did some floor presses, 308x7x1. Paused with my triceps on the floor.

Finished off with ez bar tricep extensions behind the head up to 100x10, 150x3, 100x10.

I think bringing up my tricep strength more will cause my press to shoot up, my technique feels like it is there now i just need to get more raw strength, this was the purpose of tonight's session.

Good stuff :rock

What's your PR on push press John?

Thanks, guys! My PR's 365 set a number of years ago. I'd like to hit 4 wheels someday.

:blink:blink:blink

I might log some seated presses. These push presses are way out of my league.

30/09/2009 PUSH PRESS Workout:

40(88) x10

70(154) x10

100(220) x6

120(265) x3

140(309) x3 Loose balance and the bar falls on the floor.

Again load it on the pins and hit another set.

140(309) x5

After that some pinch work and some fast walking for cardio.

Welldone Mike that is a big seated press!

Today i did some seated strict press, starting at nose height, 220x8x1. For some reason i find strict seated a lot harder than strict standing, even though i start with the bar higher (nose height as opposed to a racked position when doing it standing).

I also did some floor presses, 308x7x1. Paused with my triceps on the floor.

Finished off with ez bar tricep extensions behind the head up to 100x10, 150x3, 100x10.

I think bringing up my tricep strength more will cause my press to shoot up, my technique feels like it is there now i just need to get more raw strength, this was the purpose of tonight's session.

Nice workout Sam.

Stronger triceps defenately will give you stronger presses and a very good

exercise for building the triceps is reverse grip bench presses....You should

give this a try.

Seated Barbell from eye level

barx10

135x10

185x5

205x3

225x2

225x2

185x5

One arm DB seated

70x12x2sets each arm,light

pec deck (typically not my style but fun to do the whole stack)

5 sets of 10 top set 200 (whole stack)

Tricep pushdowns (overkill on top of all the presses, went light)

100x12x3sets

Edited by GarytheDino

Shoulder had some slight tension in it, but felt much better today than it has in weeks. So I decided to take advantage of it.

1x8, 250 pounds. Belt, no wrist wraps. One rep PR. Haven't given up on my goal yet.

-Rex

Forgot to write this last time...I am learning that I can make good progress on push press without doing much push press at all. In fact, my gains on push press were hurt when I focused on push pressing and excluded bench pressing. I think Bob Lipinksi is right that the triceps are key, and heavy benching builds up the triceps more than does push pressing. In particular, I'm getting benefit from doing partial range bench work inside the rack. If your push press is not going anywhere, try heavy bench work, partials in particular, and dumbbell shoulder work. You may benefit from it.

-Rex

I'm re-thinking my approach to this now. Short term i am going to focus on seated DB press while keeping my hand in technique wise with standing overheads. Today i trained in the uni gym because i had 2 hours spare and did:

seated DB press

50s x 10

75s x 10

88s x 14 (would have liked heavier but 88lbs were the heaviest there)

88s x 8

push jerks

264x2x3 (these were done with no pressout, just jerked straight up)

close grip bench

220x10, 264x3, 308x2x1, 220x9

Finished with RC work and pushdowns.

Bodyweight on scales in the uni gym - 302lbs.

I felt my tehcnique was good when i hit 350, as in i feel i am not going to improve much more on overheads just by playing with form. I am hoping, that as Rex suggests above, working on stricter stuff will help me get stronger and that there will be some carryover. In the strongman gym we have some 125# dumbells. Next time i do pressiing i'll aim to hit these for 3-4 reps, and as i did today i will bring them right down the the shoulders on each rep.

Edited by CoC#3

1x9, 250 pounds. 1 rep PR.

I've found that doing the one-arm DB push presses, no belt, has help my shoulder stability and core strength tremendously. Tonight I felt rock solid in the lockout position. For anyone struggling with that 'wobbly' feeling on push press, give them a try.

-Rex

Nice work Rex. One arm presses definitely carryover to push presses/jerks. Last week i did a few singles on one arm press with a 155lb DB, no belt. I am including twice a week direct ab work aswell now to increase stability at lockout.

My last pressing workout i close grip benched 335 for a single then did DB presses, paused on the shoulders with 88lbs dumbells. I ended with tricep extensions and pushdowns. On Saturday i'm doing push jerk technique work - so a lot of sub maximal volume.

Wed. 10-22-09

Threw the stone a little bit. Worked on the glide and full spin some. Both were butt ugly.

Close Grip Bench w/ 40lb. of chain

45x5

135x5

185x3

225x1

245x1x4

Press

135x3

155x3

185x1

205x1x4

Cheat Curl

45x10

95x5

115x5x4

1x5, 275. PR. belt, no wrist wraps. Need to buy some wrist wraps. I lost mine a while ago. The old ones were about a foot long, they didn't do much, but much better than no wraps at all.

If I can get 275 for 1x8, belt and wraps, by the end of the year, that will be a *fifty* pound increase for a set of 8, in one year. I'll close with a favorite workout song

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Powerful workouts everyone...! :rock

Todays strict overhead presses:

40(88) x10

50(110) x10

70(154) x10

90(198) x5

100(220) x3

115(253) x1

130(287) x1 I will send a vid as soon as I can...

After that I did some dumbbell laterals and front raises , 32kilo kb for some Bup presses

and upright rows.

Did 2x5, 1x4, RH, with 130 pound DB. (one arm push press).

Then 3x4, LH, 130 pound DB. Making good progress on these, but the numbers are still quite low. Adding a belt may add some strength.

I've got a nice bruise on the right side of my face where the dumbbell came down hard on my cheek bone. Maybe I can work this into a Halloween costume.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Did 2x5, 1x4, RH, with 130 pound DB. (one arm push press).

Then 3x4, LH, 130 pound DB. Making good progress on these, but the numbers are still quite low. Adding a belt may add some strength.

I've got a nice bruise on the right side of my face where the dumbbell came down hard on my cheek bone. Maybe I can work this into a Halloween costume.

-Rex

Money. When people ask you what happened to your face you can tell them the truth: "A 130lb dumbbell hit me in the face."