Push Press Race!

CoC#3

Let's go! Manthos and myself are going for a 160kg (352lbs) push press this year and will be logging workouts here. Anyone can join , just state your goals and log the workouts.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• MANTHOS

• The Natural

• climber511

Push Press

1x5, 265 pounds. PR. On August 3rd I did 250 for 1x7, so I consider this progress despite different rep ranges. The workout I did today should compute to a higher max.

Seated Partial Military Press

Long name, simple idea. I set the pins so that the bar is right at the top of my head when I'm seated in the power rack. I then do heavy, low rep partials from a dead stop. I figure I should be able to get the bar to the top of my head with leg drive alone, so this works the range of motion where the triceps and shoulders take the brunt of the load.

On August 3rd I did 3x3 with 275 pounds and 1x2 with 300 pounds. It was my first time ever doing them.

Tonight,

3x3, 285 pounds, PR

1x1, 310 pounds, PR

Bodyweight tonight: 290 pounds with oly shoes, shirt, and shorts on. I've dropped weight this past week and have loaded my fridge with whole milk to get back 5 or so pounds.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Just remembered that I forgot to use a belt today, though I did use one on August 3rd. So this is definitely an improvement, as a belt helps me on push press. Did not use wrist wraps either. Need to have the ones that Steve Gardener gave me mailed to me.

-Rex

Push Press

1x5, 265 pounds. PR. On August 3rd I did 250 for 1x7, so I consider this progress despite different rep ranges. The workout I did today should compute to a higher max.

Seated Partial Military Press

Long name, simple idea. I set the pins so that the bar is right at the top of my head when I'm seated in the power rack. I then do heavy, low rep partials from a dead stop. I figure I should be able to get the bar to the top of my head with leg drive alone, so this works the range of motion where the triceps and shoulders take the brunt of the load.

On August 3rd I did 3x3 with 275 pounds and 1x2 with 300 pounds. It was my first time ever doing them.

Tonight,

3x3, 285 pounds, PR

1x1, 310 pounds, PR

Bodyweight tonight: 290 pounds with oly shoes, shirt, and shorts on. I've dropped weight this past week and have loaded my fridge with whole milk to get back 5 or so pounds.

-Rex

Welcome on the race Rex.....

310 is very strong after your 3s with 285! :rock

I get a fair bit out of a belt on PPs aswell. I went up to 275x2 without then used a belt for 300x1 and 308x1. Wrist wraps don't seem to help, but maybe i'd get something out of them if i used an oly bar instead of an axle. I've tried the presses off the pins, but i usually start about chin height.

I wouldn't mind joining if old folks can play, I haven't gone over 335 in ages.

I wouldn't mind joining if old folks can play, I haven't gone over 335 in ages.

Sounds good John. :rock

-Rex

Guest Bullitt
I'll be having my own personal little race to 250 and watching you guys closely. :blush

Strong stuff everyone!

Right now, with my new place I have short ceilings and can't do push presses unless I haul everything outside and do clean and press. :angry: For the time being I'm going to work on this via strict seated presses. Not sure if 250 is the right goal for me or not. We'll see once I get to a real gym and give it a go. I actually surprised myself today a bit.

Today:

Seated press (full stop reps from the pins at eye level):

135X6

175X6

175X5

Well, I just looked at John's log and he seems to have recently done 315x4 on push press before deciding to join the race. So much for the neck in neck battle that we were hoping for. :D

-Rex

Hi guys,

and welcome to all the new entries.

Here is yesterdays workout.

PUSH PRESS:

40kgrs - 88pounds for 10

50kgrs - 110pounds for 10

70kgrs - 154pounds for 10

80kgrs - 176pounds for 5

100kgrs - 220pounds for 5

120kgrs - 264pounds for 3

135kgrs - 298pounds for 1

and

150kgrs - 331pounds for 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q9uOlfOyTw

UPRIGHT ROWS:

50kgrs - 110pounds for 10

60kgrs - 132pounds for 10

70kgrs - 154pounds for 5

80kgrs - 176pounds for 3

90kgrs - 198pounds for 3

Though my pecs were killing me from a fiasco workout on Monday it went good yesterday.

That flew up Manthos :rock

John, you should be shooting for at least 375 this year!

Good to have you on board Mike - 250 is a good goal i'm sure you'll surpass that once you get some practice in. Strong seated presses.

Today's session. Lower back sore before starting.

Decided to use an oly bar instead of an axle.

push press

132x5

176x5

wrist wraps (not used these in a while but they seem to help)

220x3

264x2

286x2

add belt and elbow sleeves

308x3 (2 rep PR)

military press (standing)

with belt, elbow sleeves and wrist wraps

220x5 (narrow grip) (1 rep PR)

132x3x8 (wide grip - hard for me)

Thanks. It was a strong day today for me. I'm still hoping for more. 286x2 was a beltless PR for me aswell - hopefully this means my core is getting stronger.

Guest Bullitt
Good to have you on board Mike - 250 is a good goal i'm sure you'll surpass that once you get some practice in. Strong seated presses.

A little embarassing compared to you guys :blush but it is what it is and I have to start somewhere. :D Looking forward to getting these numbers up and seeing what you beasts can push! :rock

A little embarassing compared to you guys :blush but it is what it is and I have to start somewhere. :D Looking forward to getting these numbers up and seeing what you beasts can push! :rock

250 is sure thing for you Mike.....No problem...! :rock

Guest Bullitt

Manthos,

Not sure what part of Greece you live in, but I hope you are not being affected by the horrible fires around Athens. According to the news, they have evacuated several towns. Let us know that things are alright for you my friend.

317ish, 1x1

-Rex

Nice lifting, Rex! Was this looking as easy as most of what you post? Most of your lifts I've watched looked like you had quite a bit in the tank with the speed you hit them, how'd this feel?

317ish, 1x1

-Rex

Nice lifting, Rex! Was this looking as easy as most of what you post? Most of your lifts I've watched looked like you had quite a bit in the tank with the speed you hit them, how'd this feel?

Thanks John. This felt like a 95% or so lift so it's close to my max. I'd appreciate anything you could offer me regarding my form and technique. This movement is very new to me having focused on bench like most Americans for most of my life. In March I started a Gmail based log entitled "Getting Serious About Upper Body Strength" and got serious about overhead training.

-Rex