Push Press Race!

CoC#3

Welldone Rex, looked like you were good for a bit more there dude. :rock

Thanks Sam. Chris Rice gave me some advice on my form and it sounds like I'm doing quite a bit incorrectly.

-Rex

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• MANTHOS

• The Natural

• climber511

I find push pressing with a closer grip helps. Then again, i bench close so this is probably why i prefer this grip.

Today i did 220 for 5x5. Slight leg re-bend at the top. I'm working on some changes to my tech, i need to be more explosive.

that was after quite a few other reps btw ........ nice job Rex

I thought that voice at the end sounded familiar. :D

Paul is omnipresent, able to narrate any momentous event at any time, very much like Morgan Freeman.

-Rex

Guest Bullitt

I thought that voice at the end sounded familiar. :D

Paul is omnipresent, able to narrate any momentous event at any time, very much like Morgan Freeman.

-Rex

:laugh:laugh:laugh

I liked Paul best in the 70's as Easy Reader on the Electric Company. Oh crap, just showed my age.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/7/Mo...-Up-543425.html

Rex-

I'd give you a few things up front, #1 - hands look a little too wide, you'll get more spring when you dip compressing your biceps. #2, you're carrying the bar too low on your chest when you start the dip. Problem there is you'll have a tendency to throw the bar forward instead of getting all your drive to go up. I carry the bar pretty much on my collarbones.

Rex-

I'd give you a few things up front, #1 - hands look a little too wide, you'll get more spring when you dip compressing your biceps. #2, you're carrying the bar too low on your chest when you start the dip. Problem there is you'll have a tendency to throw the bar forward instead of getting all your drive to go up. I carry the bar pretty much on my collarbones.

John, that's what Chris Rice told me too and it makes sense. I just can't figure out how to rest the bar on my collarbones. That whole 'resting on the fingertips' deal, I don't have the wrist flexibility right now to do it and it always makes me wonder at what point the bar becomes fully seated in the hand and not just resting on the fingertips. Do you get a tight grip in mid-air? Some of this may be difficult to convey over the Internet, but you get the idea.

Thanks

-Rex

I totally missed all those finer points that Rex failed to utilize, but that sure was an impressive lift to witness!

Manthos,

Not sure what part of Greece you live in, but I hope you are not being affected by the horrible fires around Athens. According to the news, they have evacuated several towns. Let us know that things are alright for you my friend.

Hi Mike,

I live 300kms away from Athens and we have no problem here.

Thank you for your concern my friend.

Rex, I haven't got the flexibility to carry the bar on my collarbones either. When i unrack the bar or axle it wants to sit at chin height , and it is comfortable there.

These videos of bigger guys push pressing show this well. This could be the problem as we both weigh 290+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Lu_t4JEC8

I have arms like a girl, so it's not a problem for me, little biceps = no problem. Some of the really good pressers like Schoonveld never used to get the bar seated when they started, but I believe when he did his axle WR it was on his collarbones. He was over 360lbs when he set the WR. And he's got shorter, very thick arms. Start working front squats & that'll help the wrist flex over time. I think you'll very quickly add 40lbs if you can get your initial position fixed.

I totally missed all those finer points that Rex failed to utilize, but that sure was an impressive lift to witness!

It was a great lift of course - but only for where Rex is right now - I really believe he can learn to do much much more weight. The difference between "a real strong guy" and a "champion" though is the technique - that ability to get the strength of the whole body focused into the task at hand in the absolute best positions to utilize all the power available everywhere. Throwers are great examples of this as well as about anyone else who excels at the very highest levels - misdirected strength is sometimes worse than not enough strength. You miss a lot of lifts but can't quite figure out the why. A push press is basically a jerk without the second dip (not quite but close) - your legs should get everything started - and that means the bar must be as solidly connected to the shoulders and down to the leg drive as possible to take advantage of that - tight upper and lower back etc. You big guys do have a problem here but if you are aware of it - you can work on it - and even if you never get it racked perfectly - every little bit better you do get at it will help you. Start out by just thinking "elbows up" and the bar back against your throat - dip straight down - drive it up - and then push.

It was a great lift of course - but only for where Rex is right now - I really believe he can learn to do much much more weight. The difference between "a real strong guy" and a "champion" though is the technique - that ability to get the strength of the whole body focused into the task at hand in the absolute best positions to utilize all the power available everywhere. Throwers are great examples of this as well as about anyone else who excels at the very highest levels - misdirected strength is sometimes worse than not enough strength. You miss a lot of lifts but can't quite figure out the why. A push press is basically a jerk without the second dip (not quite but close) - your legs should get everything started - and that means the bar must be as solidly connected to the shoulders and down to the leg drive as possible to take advantage of that - tight upper and lower back etc. You big guys do have a problem here but if you are aware of it - you can work on it - and even if you never get it racked perfectly - every little bit better you do get at it will help you. Start out by just thinking "elbows up" and the bar back against your throat - dip straight down - drive it up - and then push.

For what it's worth, I asked Chris on another forum for advice, so his tips (as well as John's) were not unsolicited and are appreciated. They're not part of the armchair personal trainer brigade.

-Rex

Thanks Chris for the info! John, i've never been able to use a clean grip to front squat either, i always do my front squats with arms crossed. How important is lat stretching for getting in a good position to push press, a few of my training partners reckon it could solve the problem?

Guest Bullitt

After my squats tonight, I hauled the 27.2KG/60lb KB out on the deck and did 3 sets of 10 one arm presses. Started pretty strict. By 3rd set they were one arm push presses. ;)

I was also able to finally get a BUP with it as well. Actually did two singles after 1st set.

Thanks Chris for the info! John, i've never been able to use a clean grip to front squat either, i always do my front squats with arms crossed. How important is lat stretching for getting in a good position to push press, a few of my training partners reckon it could solve the problem?

Everyone will have different limiting factors to obtaining proper position I imagine. Sometimes you big guys can get good drive with a log bar but not with a regular one simply because the extra size will actually sit on your shoulders easier. A good drill is to load up a bar in the squat or power rack at your normal position to unrack for a front squat. Grab the bar with your press grip - now push it deep into your throat and push your elbows forward and up - relax relax now - and try to let the bar reach to the neck and shoulders. Do this with raising one arm and then both arms at once, move around some now, raise the elbows as high as possible - this is a stretch - not a lift - the bar shouldn't move out of the rack - so work on relaxing any tensioned areas that show up. Repeat this several times a day if necessary It's OK to end up with the bar just on your fingertips - stretch everything that is limiting you achieving a good rack position - this is going to take time - and you huge biceps and forearm guys will really have to learn to relax those muscles to even get close. One common misconception is that you must have your elbows down to push press - this is not correct - you do to strict press is all. Remember that the start of a push press is a jerk drive to hopefully the bar to the top of the head or so. That's when the elbows must be in the power position - before then it isn't necessary and can even slow down the start of the lift. Tension equals strong but it also can equal slow. Your body will easily get into the correct position when it's time to start pressing. God luck - you guys are all beastly strong - if you can get your legs into the action - some monster weight is going to move.

Today I tried Chris's suggestion about bar placement. I did notice a difference. The only problem was that I had 225 on the bar, and it moved so surprisingly fast that I nearly stumbled.

I did 225 for 1x11 on seated military. I thought I only did 10 but the spotter confirmed that it was 11. I must have lost count in my fury. I admit to only lowering the bar though to nose level on some of the reps. I'll still count it as a PR, given that my previous PR was 8. A good set.

After toying with techniqe (3x3 with 225) and seated military, I decided to do some dumbbell push press. I did 2x5 with each hand, 100 pound DB (no belt, no wrist wraps). For those who have pressed the Inch, please tell me what weights you were using with the DB's before doing this. This feat may not be too far off. I figure I could do 100 for 1x10, no problem, were I to have done these at the beginning of the workout.

-Rex

Also, for those who are wanting to build explosion in the push press, I saw an athlete today at the gym doing jump squats with the hack squat machine. He had elevated the front of the machine with a pallet, to be easier on the knees. Anyway, I know some people do not like jump squats with a bar as it bounces on the neck and shoulders. This may be a good alternative.

-Rex

Chris thanks for the suggestions i'll have a play around tomorrow. I get the best leg drive with a smaller log, with a full size 12'' one the balance becomes the main issue.

Rex, when i was first able to push press the inch i was doing 2x3 with a 155lb DB. Given our similar pressing numbers i think you would probably push press the inch now.

Edited by CoC#3

Also, for those who are wanting to build explosion in the push press, I saw an athlete today at the gym doing jump squats with the hack squat machine. He had elevated the front of the machine with a pallet, to be easier on the knees. Anyway, I know some people do not like jump squats with a bar as it bounces on the neck and shoulders. This may be a good alternative.

-Rex

Rig up your jump squats with a pile of bands - I promise it won't leave your shoulders - I like this much better than just straight weight. I have to admit though that the "absorbing" aspect of catching jump squats is very important and somewhat of a skill to develop so the tops of your knees don't get sore. Start easy or pay the price.

Edited by climber511

Hi guys,

this is yesterdays workout:

PUSH PRESS

40 (88) x 10

50 (110) x 10

70 (154) x 10

90 (198) x 6

100 (220) x 6

120 (265) x 3

130 (287) x 2

140 (309) x 1

155 (342) x 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7NQfRnHDck

This was not well executed. I lost concentration , balance and I didn't used my legs properly.

The result of all this is the little step forward to manage to hold the weight.

UPRIGHT ROWS

50 (110) x 10

70 (154) x 5

90 (198) x 3

100 (220) x 1 - cheating mode - :D

At the end some snatches with my 32kilo Kb and some gripper work with my RB260 (10sets x 5reps).

Still looked easy. I wouldn't be suprised if you could push 350lbs now if you kept your balance :) Great work big man.

Today's push press workout,

barx5

60kgx5

80kgx5

100kgx3

120kg(264)x3 push jerk

130kg(286)x2 push jerk

147.5kg(325)x1 push press (easy)

150kg(330)x1 push press (tough lockout)

120kg(264)x8 push press

100kg(220)x3 strict press

Floor presses/chins for assistance

Chris' advice was very helpful - today i was able to get the bar to sit in a better position. Still not quite on the collarbones, but under the chin this time.

Edited by CoC#3