• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• MANTHOS

• The Natural

• climber511

Cheers fellas! 264x8 was the tough one, first 6 flew up then i just ran out of gas and could hardly get leg drive. I think next time i might try and go for max reps with 275 without doing anything heavier first.

Push press part of shoulders today - 275 x 5, 295 x 5, 315 x 4, 3, 3

Nice job guys. We may need to get WADA involved in this race.

-Rex

:rock:laugh :laugh

Wow! Big weight being moved! Great job Sam & Manthos!! :rock

Thanks Mike... :rock

I'm sure you're strong enough, it would be good to have some practice with 150+ dbs though. I could do a few reps with 165 on a thick handled db, I did 180 for 1 on a regular handle.

Guest Bullitt

After 20 rep squats and bench tonight I did strict seated presses. Pins at eye level. Dead stop, paused reps.

135X10

165X6

200X2 PR

No idea how this translates to push press as I still haven't been able to get to a gym to try it. Ceilings are too low in my new place and the deck is a bit wobbly to drop 200lb + on it. :D

Pretty thrilled with the seated press numbers. Big weight for me. 250 push press seems attainable now.

Edited by Bullitt

I think you will push press 250, but it will depend on whether your leg drive is good enough to get the bar to clear your forehead . It varies from person to person but when i seated strict pressed 220x7 from the chin i could do a 300 push press. After a bit of tech work i managed 330 without my strict strength going up.

Nice work Mike! :rock

For the push press I will agree with Sam. Except from strong shoulder muscles , to have a big push press you must work with the explosion of your legs so you can

push the weight as high as you can and then you need coordination so you can start pressing exactly the time the weight is at the top position of the push.

200x2 strict press is very good but you have to work the push press to see exactly were you are.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks guys. Yea, I don't think I could do 250 yet, but I think with the extra squat work I'm doing, and if my seated press numbers keep going up, I definitely think it is within reach this year.

308x3 PP today.

Also 286x5 push jerks (with knee rebend at the top).

Finished off with some work racking the bar in a better place (closer to the collarbones) with 132lbs on there. With some wrist stretching in between and some light full ROM wrist curls i was able to get the bar to sit on my collarbones for the first time. It doesn't feel comfortable but it a start.

Guest Bullitt
308x3 PP today.

Finished off with some work racking the bar in a better place (closer to the collarbones) with 132lbs on there. With some wrist stretching in between and some light full ROM wrist curls i was able to get the bar to sit on my collarbones for the first time. It doesn't feel comfortable but it a start.

Awesome job mate! :rock I need to work on getting the bar in on my shoulders/collar bones as well. I'm so freakin inflexible.

Today

Push Press

2x3, 275 pounds. (no belt, no wrist wraps). Felt pretty good. Chris, I tell ya, every time I make progress with form, I seem to go two steps back. Now I have the rack position smoothed out, but I feel like the bar is going to slide off my finger tips and leave my hands. It's a scary feeling when the weight starts to get heavy.

I strained my rotator cuff a bit this past Saturday, bending steel. I bent a Big Shiny, double underhand, so I guess it was worth it, but it slowed me down a bit today. I was not able to do any benching as that hurt my shoulder.

One arm DB Push Press, no belt, no wraps.

3x5, RH, 110 pounds. 10 pound PR.

2x4, 1x3, LH, 110 pounds. Still a PR, I guess. Should be ready to press the Inch with the RH any time now.

Curls

1x10, 1x9, 25's on the curl bar

Band Dislocates, to help the shoulder rehabilitate.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Today

Push Press

2x3, 275 pounds. (no belt, no wrist wraps). Felt pretty good. Chris, I tell ya, every time I make progress with form, I seem to go two steps back. Now I have the rack position smoothed out, but I feel like the bar is going to slide off my finger tips and leave my hands. It's a scary feeling when the weight starts to get heavy.

I strained my rotator cuff a bit this past Saturday, bending steel. I bent a Big Shiny, double underhand, so I guess it was worth it, but it slowed me down a bit today. I was not able to do any benching as that hurt my shoulder.

One arm DB Push Press, no belt, no wraps.

3x5, RH, 110 pounds. 10 pound PR.

2x4, 1x3, LH, 110 pounds. Still a PR, I guess. Should be ready to press the Inch with the RH any time now.

Curls

1x10, 1x9, 25's on the curl bar

Band Dislocates, to help the shoulder rehabilitate.

-Rex

Rex you straightened out the rack much quicker than I thought you would. Keep working all the stretches etc and you will start to get more finger on the bar before long and that will help a lot mentally. I know when I started doing jerks just with finger tips - I thought I was going to drop it on my head every time - I never have but I know what you mean. It will get better - give it a little time. I might use the wrist wraps for a while until you can get more finger on the bar and a more secure feeling when you get it into your whole hand better. Looking Good! You can never go wrong with good technique!

Edited by climber511

Good work Rex, hope the RC heals up quickly big man.

My tech has improved aswell Chris, with heavier weights the bar is now sitting comfortably about 2-3 inches above my collar bones which is progress from not being able to get it under the chin. I'm also working on the wrist flexibility and keeping the elbows up.

Good work Rex, hope the RC heals up quickly big man.

My tech has improved aswell Chris, with heavier weights the bar is now sitting comfortably about 2-3 inches above my collar bones which is progress from not being able to get it under the chin. I'm also working on the wrist flexibility and keeping the elbows up.

Sam - I wish my arms were so darn big they got in my way when i pressed - :blush

308x3 PP today.

Big weight Sam...! You're moving up fast! :rock

Here is yesterdays workout:

Felt a little tired (lower back and thighs in pain) from Mondays workout and I did only some strict presses.

STANTDING STRICT PRESS (FRONT)

40 (88) x 10

60 (132) x10

80 (176) x 5

100 (220) x 5

120 (265) x2x2

Very dificult....wasn't a good day...

32kilo Kb swings 4x20 (10 each hand) and some light upright rows.

The form look any better here? 308x3.

Slight knee rebend.

I also hit a strict standing press PR today. 264x2.

Leaning back a little bit too much.

You seem to be getting much better use out of your leg drive but are rushing things somewhat and having some balance issues it appears. Look at it two ways - one as strength work (the rep work) and the other as technique work - singles done as if it were a competition lift with a judge watching. Progress for sure from last time!

You seem to be getting much better use out of your leg drive but are rushing things somewhat and having some balance issues it appears. Look at it two ways - one as strength work (the rep work) and the other as technique work - singles done as if it were a competition lift with a judge watching. Progress for sure from last time!

Thanks Chris i appreciate your input here! Do you think the best way to practice technique is to use a weight that feels reasonably heavy like 300 ish? And do 5-6 singles?