• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• MANTHOS

• The Natural

• climber511

Guest Bullitt

Did 2x5, 1x4, RH, with 130 pound DB. (one arm push press).

Then 3x4, LH, 130 pound DB. Making good progress on these, but the numbers are still quite low. Adding a belt may add some strength.

I've got a nice bruise on the right side of my face where the dumbbell came down hard on my cheek bone. Maybe I can work this into a Halloween costume.

-Rex

After reading your post earlier about one armed d-bell presses making the core and shoulders stronger and more stable, I've been working these in using my 60 lb kettlebell. I came accross a video of Andrew Durniat doing a one arm push press for 20 reps with a 132 lb kettlebell. He is pretty close on strength in both arms. Not sure if Andrew works any overhead barbell presses, but I would be very interested to know what he could put overhead.

Did 2x5, 1x4, RH, with 130 pound DB. (one arm push press).

Then 3x4, LH, 130 pound DB. Making good progress on these, but the numbers are still quite low. Adding a belt may add some strength.

I've got a nice bruise on the right side of my face where the dumbbell came down hard on my cheek bone. Maybe I can work this into a Halloween costume.

-Rex

After reading your post earlier about one armed d-bell presses making the core and shoulders stronger and more stable, I've been working these in using my 60 lb kettlebell. I came accross a video of Andrew Durniat doing a one arm push press for 20 reps with a 132 lb kettlebell. He is pretty close on strength in both arms. Not sure if Andrew works any overhead barbell presses, but I would be very interested to know what he could put overhead.

The kettlebells are a bit more comfortable in the resting position. I plan to switch to a thick-handled DB for these, to make things more awkward and uncomfortable. One thing I like to do to improve stability is to hold the DB/KB in the lockout position for about ten seconds on my last rep of my last set.

I *hate* eating. Just had to get that out there.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Guest Bullitt

Hauled the squat stands Jedd gave me out onto my deck and gave push presses a shot for the first time in about a dozen years. Very fun lift. Didn't go real heavy. Just did a bunch of singles with 185 to try and coordinate everything. Had a bit of a problem with timing the leg drive and the press, and not getting all the drive from my legs to translate into bar drive, but it did get better as i went. Both of these problems will get better with practice and me getting the bar back onto my collarbones better. I will definitely keep practicing these.

Guest Bullitt

Hauled the squat stands Jedd gave me out onto my deck and gave push presses a shot for the first time in about a dozen years. Very fun lift. Didn't go real heavy. Just did a bunch of singles with 185 to try and coordinate everything. Had a bit of a problem with timing the leg drive and the press, and not getting all the drive from my legs to translate into bar drive, but it did get better as i went. Both of these problems will get better with practice and me getting the bar back onto my collarbones better. I will definitely keep practicing these.

The other thing I forgot to mention is, I need to work my abs! Strangely, these seemed to be my weak point in the lift. I hate doing ab work, but I think it will not only help the push press, but all my other lifts as well. :angry:

I'm nowhere near what you guys are putting up but here is my third single of 275lbs. Barely got it. Bodyweight 197lbs.

Wow, impressive lifting from you all. I was happy with my new pr 200 pounds yesterday till i found this thead. I have lots of work to do :D

Wow, impressive lifting from you all. I was happy with my new pr 200 pounds yesterday till i found this thead. I have lots of work to do :D

Same here :blush I was so excited yesterday that I made a PR of 210lb, but these guys here are on their own (high)level.

Great lifts, 200 and 210 are nice presses, 2 plates is going to fall for you both soon, it won't take long just keep playing around with push press tech and work your triceps hard. I feel the same way when i hear about competitive strongmen putting 400+ overhead from a clean, there is a long way to go for everyone in this thread!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to 225, it's always fun to get another plate on the bar.

I'm nowhere near what you guys are putting up but here is my third single of 275lbs. Barely got it. Bodyweight 197lbs.

Nice lift! :mosher You fought it hard. How tall are you? If you don't mind me asking! :unsure

Great lifts, 200 and 210 are nice presses, 2 plates is going to fall for you both soon, it won't take long just keep playing around with push press tech and work your triceps hard. I feel the same way when i hear about competitive strongmen putting 400+ overhead from a clean, there is a long way to go for everyone in this thread!

Thank you very much. I'll follow your advice.

Edited by kogba

Nice lift! :mosher You fought it hard. How tall are you? If you don't mind me asking! :unsure

thank you!! I'm 5'6"

thank you!! I'm 5'6"

Your a beast! I'am 5'7" and 174.

260 for 5 singles on the axle today. Slow and steady.

I've seen this guy do a 300 pound log, cold. He needs to stop messing around!

-Rex

Ha, that day was anything but cold, Rex.

I think I'm still around that level, just working on building up the base again in an attempt get better.

Yestarday I had my shoulder training session.

PUSH PRESS:

40(88) x15

70(154) x2x10

90(198) x6

100(220) x6

120(264) x5

140(309) x2

150(331) x3

260 for 7 singles on the axle today. Plus I power cleaned all but one of them, and the one I had to continental I just screwed the timing up on.