Push Press Race!

CoC#3

Sam, I think our definitions of "push press" differ. A push press to me is simply getting the weight overhead without splitting your feet. Dipping under the weight is fine, in fact, I think it's a part of ideal technique.

-Rex

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• MANTHOS

• The Natural

• climber511

Sam, I think our definitions of "push press" differ. A push press to me is simply getting the weight overhead without splitting your feet. Dipping under the weight is fine, in fact, I think it's a part of ideal technique.

-Rex

I didn't knowingly split my feet on any of the reps. On the first one, i lost my balance and took a few steps backwards. I have been playing around with a dip recently. Do you think it is still ok to call it a push press if you rebend your knees? Or should i have said they were push jerks? My best overhead of 330 was done without a rebend, but i think i can get more if i can perfect this tech.

Guys - I guess it's a matter of definition but if you "rebend" - it is now a "jerk". A push press is the dip to start with and then once the legs straighten - they stay straight. Now for Strongman - I have no idea of the rules there but for all the years I have lifted - that's the definition of each. If you watch Olympic lifting you will see people that squat jerk instead of split jerk. The Greeks and Chinese both have lifters that do so - and it's a Jerk. A push press will get you 3 red lights - any press out at the finish is illegal. It's Press = no leg bend start or finish. Push Press = starting leg drive to straight legs. Jerk = starting leg drive and a "rebend" or dip under, then a straightening to completion - the arms must be jerked to straight overhead in one motion with a catch on straight arms - any arm rebend is also wrong. .

Yep Chris, I see people mix up the definitions here and there. Paul Chek had a "push press" video that was definitely a jerk. It's a small difference, but it is definitely a different lift.

Guys - I guess it's a matter of definition but if you "rebend" - it is now a "jerk". A push press is the dip to start with and then once the legs straighten - they stay straight. Now for Strongman - I have no idea of the rules there but for all the years I have lifted - that's the definition of each. If you watch Olympic lifting you will see people that squat jerk instead of split jerk. The Greeks and Chinese both have lifters that do so - and it's a Jerk. A push press will get you 3 red lights - any press out at the finish is illegal. It's Press = no leg bend start or finish. Push Press = starting leg drive to straight legs. Jerk = starting leg drive and a "rebend" or dip under, then a straightening to completion - the arms must be jerked to straight overhead in one motion with a catch on straight arms - any arm rebend is also wrong. .

In that case, I don't give a hoot about the push press. What I want to devleop is a strong squat jerk.

-Rex

Chris for strongman, be it a log, axle, dumbell or whatever you are generally allowed to get it overhead any way you like. Strict press, split jerk, push press, squat jerk, push jerk are all acceptable. The only time you are not permitted to use any leg rebend is when doing the viking press.

I want to learn whatever will allow me to put the most weight overhead.

Chris for strongman, be it a log, axle, dumbell or whatever you are generally allowed to get it overhead any way you like. Strict press, split jerk, push press, squat jerk, push jerk are all acceptable. The only time you are not permitted to use any leg rebend is when doing the viking press.

I want to learn whatever will allow me to put the most weight overhead.

This is exactly right. The squat jerk seems to be more efficient and so that's why I really care about.

-Rex

Usually the way to the most weight overhead is a jerk with a press out at the top then. At some point your leg drive is no longer enough to fix the weight overhead with a totally straight arm catch which is what is needed for a technical "jerk". By the same token, you can probably leg drive a heavier bar almost to lockout and to a position high enough that the arms are in a position advantageous enough to allow you to "press" out the bar to completion. That short pressout would fail the lift as a technical "jerk" but in your case that doesn't matter so I would say that's what you are looking for. The key is still going to be the same though - a great leg drive.

Or just do this - a classic push press!

The 350 pound overhead lift is a 2009 goal. What Misha does is a 2024 goal.

-Rex

-Rex

Rex - look at the bar resting on his shoulders (big arms and all) - watch it fly almost to the top before his arms actually take over - beautiful!

Edited by climber511

-Rex

Rex - look at the bar resting on his shoulders (big arms and all) - watch it fly almost to the top before his arms actually take over - beautiful!

I love all these comments like "Not bad but my brother can push press 2 platez for 3 reps, could probably get 200 for 5 he is only 17 wants to play college ball next year"

I noticed in the video that Misha does not use an "elbows up" rack for push press. His elbows are down. And his whole hand is on the bar, it's not just his fingertips like when he does a split jerk.

-Rex

Guest Bullitt

Last night's workout:

Strict Seated Press, dead stop reps with pins at eye level:

BarX15

135X10

185X6

205X1 PR

225Xmiss

215X1 PR

Had a flyer come in the mail for a free 1 week membership at the local Gold's gym. I will finally get to see what I can actually push press.

Edited by Bullitt

Sweet - you will push press at least what you seated press from eye level, most likely a bit more.

Last night's workout:

BarX15

135X10

185X6

205X1 PR

225Xmiss

215X1 PR

Had a flyer come in the mail for a free 1 week membership at the local Gold's gym. I will finally get to see what I can actually push press.

Very nice work Mike..... :rock

Last night's workout:

BarX15

135X10

185X6

205X1 PR

225Xmiss

215X1 PR

Very nice work Mike..... :rock

Today's early am session,

standing strict press

Warmups then

110 (242) x 3

100 (220) x 6

100 (220) x 4

The first 2 work sets were repping PRs.

Floor press and face pulls for assistance.

Today's early am session,

standing strict press

Warmups then

110 (242) x 3

100 (220) x 6

100 (220) x 4

The first 2 work sets were repping PRs.

Floor press and face pulls for assistance.

Powerful pressing Sam! :rock

Interesting thread guys, I would like to get in on the action if no one minds. My goal would be a strict seated military press of 315lbs. I don't have the clearance in my basement to do overhead presses and there is no way I am going to haul one of my bars and that much weight up out of my basement once every week to train outside. It would be different if I had a place to keep stuff out there, but I don't so seated military presses it is, lol. Anyone care if I join this little shin dig this late in the game?

SHRUG

Interesting thread guys, I would like to get in on the action if no one minds. My goal would be a strict seated military press of 315lbs. I don't have the clearance in my basement to do overhead presses and there is no way I am going to haul one of my bars and that much weight up out of my basement once every week to train outside. It would be different if I had a place to keep stuff out there, but I don't so seated military presses it is, lol. Anyone care if I join this little shin dig this late in the game?

SHRUG

315 seated press is a decent goal! I'd be interested so see your workouts training for that one, please join! :rock

Cool, I will just train them once a week and see where it takes me. My main focus in training now is arm wrestling but I still like to hit my shoulders and lats very hard as they are important for locking in place when pulling. Arm wrestling training will come first but I will give this a go and see how long it takes me.

SHRUG

Guest Bullitt
Cool, I will just train them once a week and see where it takes me. My main focus in training now is arm wrestling but I still like to hit my shoulders and lats very hard as they are important for locking in place when pulling. Arm wrestling training will come first but I will give this a go and see how long it takes me.

SHRUG

Welcome aboard. I'm in the same boat with the low ceilings. 315# for a strict seated press would be huge! :rock

Yeah, those low ceilings are a major pain man, and thanks for the welcome, thank you guys for having me. It will be interesting to see how this goes, I don't train flat bench anymore, at least not with a bar. I will hit DB flat bench some and I will hit incline press with a bar VERY hard as it is important for building shoulder, lat, and chest power to aid in my arm wrestling.

SHRUG

Welcome on board SHRUG.

push jerks with a pressout

barx10

132x5

187x5

220x3

264x2

308x2

330x2

352x1 (YEAH!!!!) vid will be up shortly.