1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

Dont miss this one guys! its gonna be a good one. I'm actually looking forward to all of Rex's trash talk and trying to figure out what the hell Steve is saying. ;):D:D:rock:rock

- Aaron

Dont miss this one guys! its gonna be a good one. I'm actually looking forward to all of Rex's trash talk and trying to figure out what the hell Steve is saying. ;):D:D:rock:rock

- Aaron

Steve will be flying in Thursday, so that should give me plenty of time to have him talking like Bocephus before the competition is under way.

-Rex

I see I have NO chance in hell to win anything , but after reading the first post again, I might be able to do most of these. I'm considering competing. :)

Reading the first post cleared up a lot of my previously stupid asked questions. :)

Michael

Here is the list of competitors so far that have paid: UPDATED 4-24-09

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight - PAID

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener - PAID

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall - PAID

Andrew Durniat

Aaron C. (AC) - PAID

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe - PAID

Ryan Johnson - PAID

John Eaton

Zach C. - PAID

I think I might be the shortest in that field or close anyway. :D

yep - you 6" Aaron?

and I would consider Andrew bigger than me fo sho ............ I have ten lbs on him, but he is 4" taller!! I look like a flee next to him.

I met Aaron, he is taller than 6 inches Paul. It is HEIGHT we are talking about right ?

I think I might be the shortest in that field or close anyway. :D

yep - you 6" Aaron?

and I would consider Andrew bigger than me fo sho ............ I have ten lbs on him, but he is 4" taller!! I look like a flee next to him.

I met Aaron, he is taller than 6 inches Paul. It is HEIGHT we are talking about right ?

haha

i didnt know height had any thing to do with grip?

i didnt know height had any thing to do with grip?

It's all about confidence.

It would be a half decent test of grip strength/endurance (not a terribly good one though) for all competitors, except the competing organizer (along with anyone else that might have full access to the organizers equipment), who would be in a very advantageous position in a medley. If you want to attract the very best you would have to produce a fair competition. Sure, some like Mobster, would accept a challenge almost regardless of circumstances but a majority (of the very best) would not. I have for example, over the years, spoken to the three best pinch grip guys in the world (the way I rate them) and they all presented a very similar view. They are all confident in their abilities and will not yield to any 'man up' nonsense.

Steve- No, you didn't say you were avoiding it, I just wanted to make sure you weren't out and out saying "no." I read into things sometimes and I got the impression you didn't want to compete just because of the medley. It seems I was wrong, just wanted to make sure.

Steve and Wade- How better to really test the grip than a random assortment of items? If you're going to really test the best and see who is the strongest on that day, why not throw as many curve balls as you can? A medley accomplishes this. You'll be doing plenty of lifting afterwards regardless at a grip comp.

I've spoken before about what some sports scientists call 'fear of failure' and 'fear of success'. That can both drive you to compete and prove yourself as well as keep you off the platform. There are other issues of course. If I was a professional or semi-pro athlete my reputation as one could be damaged if I go up against someone not as highly rated as me and get beaten. Ditto the simple matter of spreading one self too thin, competing too often or not having the funds.

I know for myself that I was on Chad's short list of who he wanted to test himself against. I'm not afraid of not winning. I've been there before, yes it bites, but so what? My life wont be over and I'll still lift and try to improve. If I win the $1000 will be very handy.

As one of the very few to compete overseas and more so in the US I hope I have a handle on what needs to be done. As for the pinch... my pinch is just fine at the mo. I did 5 singles with 107.7-kilos / 237+lbs followed by some heavy 2" V-Bar work, then some heavy new and heavy old RT work. It was a good day. I've no idea how Mikeal might arrive at what he calls the 3 best. It might be interesting. For me all I need to do is refer to the list he started many moons ago and which Eric now looks after - the top three is it. Simple.

But the 'man up' nonsense as he puts it... it was intended thus. There's a long list of those who might like to prove themselves, among that list some have made 'I might or might not come noises'. I say 'come then'. Put your names down and man up. Save me from the 'maybe, maybe not' tosh. That's without getting into those that still need to pay even though they've been listed for ages.

The medley thing... hmm. I kinda agree with MS but I also set competitions myself and having done so, as has MS, know only too well you aint gonna make everyone happy. So I ask of myself what I ask of others. There's a list... go look at it, ask Chad what you need to ask (what width this, what weight that) and either do or do not.

Edited by mobsterone

A challenge is always good. Those of you man enough to accept one, you will probably find it brings out the best. I competed back in 2007 in the british when i could just close a #3 with each hand and had never touched a euro pinch before in my life. Enough to beat Mobster? Of course not and i knew this at the time, but the challenge was there and i remember saying 'you better be on form cos i'm gonna push you all the way'. On the day i made some nice little PRs- including a 300kg+ one hand lift in competition and a very good #4 attempt. Put up or shut up - anyone can set 'world records' in the gym or garage. Get out there and compete and kick some arse. If i had the funds to do so (which at this time i looks like i don't) i'd love to compete here and give it my best show - competing with the best will bring out the best. Would i be scared of not managing to do what i have done in the past, in training? Of course not.

The t-shirts are looking good :rock

I am giving NICE plaques for 1st - 5th.

Weights are calibrated and ready to go.

The sponsor $$$ and prizes are coming in...so things are shaping up nicely in plenty of time.

We have about 6 or so weeks to go...good luck in your training :rock

The sponsor $$$ and prizes are coming in...so things are shaping up nicely in plenty of time.

only training left hand at the moment :angry: may start again in a week or so depending on my elbow, not looking good right now though - still coming regardless cause its gonna be a blast talking trash to everyone ................. especially Steve and I still have to round-house sweep Steve's legs if I wanna become a cobra-ki (sp)

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but it can't hurt to say it again:

The contest will start at 10 AM, not the 9 AM that was originally suggested.

Thanks to Chad for changing it in light of the group I'll be driving from Roswell, GA. We'll still need to wake up early (about 6:30 AM), but that's much better than 5:30 AM.

-Rex

Medley items are in my gallery to view. I did not want you guys to be in the dark on this stuff...good luck.

Chad

only training left hand at the moment :angry: may start again in a week or so depending on my elbow, not looking good right now though - still coming regardless cause its gonna be a blast talking trash to everyone ................. especially Steve and I still have to round-house sweep Steve's legs if I wanna become a cobra-ki (sp)

Rub on, rub off... stand on pier... think Pelican... Now I am ready. :D

The RT handle looks new. Is there a different one for the event + what's the width of the two 45lbs plates for 1HP??

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but it can't hurt to say it again:

The contest will start at 10 AM, not the 9 AM that was originally suggested.

Thanks to Chad for changing it in light of the group I'll be driving from Roswell, GA. We'll still need to wake up early (about 6:30 AM), but that's much better than 5:30 AM.

-Rex

One of the few advantages of the travelling will be that it's like 2-3pm in the afternoon for my body-clock come 10am.

The RT handle looks new. Is there a different one for the event + what's the width of the two 45lbs plates for 1HP??

That is the one for the medley only. The event one is old and seasoned :rock The width is 2.5 for the 45's.

Well if that's the best you can do - I guess it's OK :D . Have you decided on the rest of the weights for the medley? Just curious - so far I think I can do one or two items :blush .

we have to lift the Blob plus weight? I thought it was just the Blob by itself? or are you just show-boating?

we have to lift the Blob plus weight? I thought it was just the Blob by itself? or are you just show-boating?

And, you have to smoke a cigarette :rock Oh, btw it is the ones with no filter :rock

No, just the blob...no extra weight.

Edited by Too Tall