1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

Two thoughts:

1) The scoring system - needs to be set in stone here and on the website. No debates on the day.

2) To encourage yet more prizes, sponsors etc... perhaps a prize if some records were broken. The strongman scoring system, as before, encourages a win. But I'm willing to bet more than a few grip fans would like to see some big numbers. It would not bother me on the slightest if the prize package was made smaller if, in doing so, the extra was put on events. So $500.00 for winning but $100 for breaking the pinch record for example. Or, as suggested, keep the prize package as is but have $100.00, whatever, added by sponsors, for breaking records. Of course they get to save their money if we don't break a record. Not all events need have this as well, just those you wanna see big numbers on. ;)

Just throwing it out there... perhaps those with connections might consider asking their potential sponsors if they'd consider it. It's a cheap way of getting their names on the sponsor list and a nice way to earn a few bucks and encourage a record tpo be broken.

I have gone back and forth on this scoring system...and this is what I am going with...I am going to keep it old school simple.

1st - gets 1 point

2nd - gets 2 points

3rd - gets 3 points

*If there is a tie let's say for 4th place for example - they who tied get 4 points...no split points.

*LEAST amount of points at the end of the day WINS!

*For some odd reason if there is a tie(s) anywhere...then there will be a Farmer's Hold for time - 250 each hand!

*I will update the website too on this.

*Prize money will stay the same. I will ask about the $$$ for records that are broken.

*This is going to be a VERY tough contest with A LOT of talent. About 9 weeks to game time.

But Chad, I'm not strong enough to do a farmer's hold for time! This is supposed to be about grip strength!

-Rex

But Chad, I'm not strong enough to do a farmer's hold for time! This is supposed to be about grip strength!

-Rex

Hopefully there will not be any ties :rock

I can't compete, but I think I will attend to volunteer and meet all of you awesome people. Hopefully get pointers and help with my current gripping and maybe bending!

Michael

Loading??

Same scoring system.

Time will be kept on objects that you load if there is a tie for objects lifted in the medley. So...speed and strategy will play a BIG part in the medley.

Nah. I meant Michael could help with the loading. His way of taking part.

I'd help anyway. I'd definitely like loading. That's help on my pinching/gripping. :)

Michael

Two thoughts:

1) The scoring system - needs to be set in stone here and on the website. No debates on the day.

2) To encourage yet more prizes, sponsors etc... perhaps a prize if some records were broken. The strongman scoring system, as before, encourages a win. But I'm willing to bet more than a few grip fans would like to see some big numbers. It would not bother me on the slightest if the prize package was made smaller if, in doing so, the extra was put on events. So $500.00 for winning but $100 for breaking the pinch record for example. Or, as suggested, keep the prize package as is but have $100.00, whatever, added by sponsors, for breaking records. Of course they get to save their money if we don't break a record. Not all events need have this as well, just those you wanna see big numbers on. ;)

Just throwing it out there... perhaps those with connections might consider asking their potential sponsors if they'd consider it. It's a cheap way of getting their names on the sponsor list and a nice way to earn a few bucks and encourage a record tpo be broken.

I have gone back and forth on this scoring system...and this is what I am going with...I am going to keep it old school simple.

1st - gets 1 point

2nd - gets 2 points

3rd - gets 3 points

*If there is a tie let's say for 4th place for example - they who tied get 4 points...no split points.

*LEAST amount of points at the end of the day WINS!

*For some odd reason if there is a tie(s) anywhere...then there will be a Farmer's Hold for time - 250 each hand!

*I will update the website too on this.

*Prize money will stay the same. I will ask about the $$$ for records that are broken.

*This is going to be a VERY tough contest with A LOT of talent. About 9 weeks to game time.

Why not split points on ties?

Because it would, for example, means either 2 points each (the same as for 2nd even though you came 4th) or 8, the same as 8th. I've seen a few strongman competitions where I've been damned if I could work out how someone kicking ass lost in the final tally.

I have always been confused by Strongman scoring - there seems to be more than one way it is done - and just when I think I've got it - I see something I have no clue how things happened that way. I don't care how it's done but I think explaining it right up front before the contest is a good thing.

There are disadvantages to any scoring system, I'll try and give a simple example for not splitting and for splitting points on ties.

Consider 3 competitors Alan, Bob and Charlie and 2 events Grippers/Pinch say. Suppose the results are like this:

Grippers: Alan & Bob - 1st, Charlie - 3rd

Pinch: Alan & Bob - 2nd, Charlie - 1st

If we don't split ties we have

Alan - 3 pts

Bob - 3 pts

Charlie - 4 pts

If we do split ties Alan, Bob & Charlie all have 4 points.

Which is more fair? Both Alan and Bob got a first place and a second place, while Charlie got a first and a third, so you could say splitting points gives Charlie an unfair advantage. On the other hand you could say when Charlie won he beat 2 people, whereas when the others won they only beat 1 person so they deserve to draw.

Another disadvantage to not splitting ties, if there is a tie in grippers but not in pinch, then you are dealing out less total points in the grippers event and are therefore weighting that event (very slightly) over pinch. For this reason I would personally go with splitting points on ties.

Chris

Edited by BroodingMoon

The strongman stuff really isn't complicated. Usually the results come out pretty damn close anyways.

There are disadvantages to any scoring system, I'll try and give a simple example for not splitting and for splitting points on ties.

Consider 3 competitors Alan, Bob and Charlie and 2 events Grippers/Pinch say. Suppose the results are like this:

Alan - 3 pts

Bob - 3 pts

Charlie - 4 pts

Which is more fair? Both Alan and Bob got a first place and a second place, while Charlie got a first and a third, so you could say splitting points gives Charlie an unfair advantage. On the other hand you could say when Charlie won he beat 2 people, whereas when the others won they only beat 1 person so they deserve to draw.

Another disadvantage to not splitting ties, if there is a tie in grippers but not in pinch, then you are dealing out less total points in the grippers event and are therefore weighting that event (very slightly) over pinch. For this reason I would personally go with splitting points on ties.

Chris

In this case you go to a tie breaker which is number of 1st places, then number of 2nd (if still tied), etc... Alan and Bob tie on this countback. The problem with not splitting points is if you have 10 guys, there are 10 possible points. If you have a tie and don't split, you have > 10 points for that event. This is not fair for someone who places ahead of the guys who tied - less point difference means less value for that event.

Alan - 3 pts

Bob - 3 pts

Charlie - 4 pts

Chris

In this case you go to a tie breaker which is number of 1st places, then number of 2nd (if still tied), etc... Alan and Bob tie on this countback. The problem with not splitting points is if you have 10 guys, there are 10 possible points. If you have a tie and don't split, you have > 10 points for that event. This is not fair for someone who places ahead of the guys who tied - less point difference means less value for that event.

Well for 10 guys there are 1+2+...+10=55 points and for not splitting <55 because we had lowest points win, but it's the same logic and I totally agree with what you're saying.

Here is the list of competitors so far that have paid: UPDATED 4-16-09

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener - PAID

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall - PAID

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes Peart

Aaron C. (AC) - PAID

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe - PAID

Ryan Johnson

Derek Graybill

John Eaton

Zach C. - PAID

I am giving nice plaques for 1st - 5th. I figured guys would want plaques rather than a tall trophy. I will order the T-Shirts in the next couple of weeks. Those that have not given me a t-shirt size...PLEASE let me know thru PM.

I also talked with Steve Slater and I am letting the "Show Bell" aka Inch Replica shell go for 4th place :rock This is around a $400 value.

Also, there will be around 100 + spectators to cheer us on :rock

Get those entries in :rock

Chad

Edited by Too Tall

I am getting a Inch type replica...more a monster Inch i think. It should be done by the contest I will bring it for all to see and lift. It is shot loadable to over 200# This thing is a beast!

Bill make sure you show a pic here, i cant make the contest

rico

I've been told that I'm pretty handy (no pun) with a camera. If I can make it out and allowed to, I'll take random pictures of/around/in the event and then send them to Chad or whomever.

Is the acceptable?

I'll still volunteer as well for loading or anything. (I'm really good at baby sitting the kegs...) :P

Michael

Bill make sure you show a pic here, i cant make the contest

rico

Unless Bill attends it wont be up to him to create a thing. If I might suggest we use a single photo bucket type account and those of us with photos worth a mention add them to the one single account for all to enjoy. OR... send them ALL to Chad/Bill/whoever and he creates a gallery.

I've been told that I'm pretty handy (no pun) with a camera. If I can make it out and allowed to, I'll take random pictures of/around/in the event and then send them to Chad or whomever.

Is the acceptable?

I'll still volunteer as well for loading or anything. (I'm really good at baby sitting the kegs...) :P

Michael

The more photos the better I'm sure but I think Mighty Joe offered to do the same.

Warning! Warning! Warning! Smack talk alert....!!!!

If the last couple of weeks are anything to go by... you're all in trouble :D

Warning! Warning! Warning! Smack talk alert....!!!!

If the last couple of weeks are anything to go by... you're all in trouble :D

I'll be ready for you big guy :rock