1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

It probably needs a little touch. What you've said there assumes that the 1st place guy gets all 20 implements. But by the same token how are the other events scored? One could, for arguments sake (silly but bare with me), come last in all of the previous non-medley events scoring 1 point each time then win the medley by lifting all the implements and beat someone who came 1st in all the big events and last in the medley?

You also might wanna consider time as an issue. Viz: if two guys lift the same amount of implements the fastest one wins. Then how are they scored? It's a pain with these sort of things but best to get it out of the way now.

Chad can speak for himself on how he wants things arranged, but this is my suggestion...

First, strongman scoring in my experience assigns 1 point to 1st place for an event, 2 points to 2nd place, and so on. The competitor with the lowest number of points at the end of the competition wins. So the guy finishing last would not get one point. The winner would. (Sometimes it goes the other way around (as in IFSA), with the winner getting the most points and the last place guy getting the fewest. Doesn't really matter though).

Best performance on an event gets 1 point, as stated above. So whoever lifts the most medley items gets 1 point, whether or not he lifts all of the medley items. If the best performance for the medley is 15 items lifted, then 15 matches up to 1, and next best performance matches up to 2, on down the line.

As far as ties, this is how the IFSA does it: "Ties in individual disciplines will share appropriate placing and points except int the overall competition where places will be decided by one of the following: 1) Most 1st places 2) Most 2nd places 3) Most 3rd places"

In traditional strongman scoring, time does not have tie-breaking power, but Chad can change that if he wants. It does make things a bit more complicated.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Time would be the tie breaker not score maker... could work. It's just that it was a timed or time limited event. Best, as I said, to get this all done well ahead of time.

It probably needs a little touch. What you've said there assumes that the 1st place guy gets all 20 implements. But by the same token how are the other events scored? One could, for arguments sake (silly but bare with me), come last in all of the previous non-medley events scoring 1 point each time then win the medley by lifting all the implements and beat someone who came 1st in all the big events and last in the medley?

You also might wanna consider time as an issue. Viz: if two guys lift the same amount of implements the fastest one wins. Then how are they scored? It's a pain with these sort of things but best to get it out of the way now.

Chad can speak for himself on how he wants things arranged, but this is my suggestion...

First, strongman scoring in my experience assigns 1 point to 1st place for an event, 2 points to 2nd place, and so on. The competitor with the lowest number of points at the end of the competition wins. So the guy finishing last would not get one point. The winner would. (Sometimes it goes the other way around (as in IFSA), with the winner getting the most points and the last place guy getting the fewest. Doesn't really matter though).

Best performance on an event gets 1 point, as stated above. So whoever lifts the most medley items gets 1 point, whether or not he lifts all of the medley items. If the best performance for the medley is 15 items lifted, then 15 matches up to 1, and next best performance matches up to 2, on down the line.

As far as ties, this is how the IFSA does it: "Ties in individual disciplines will share appropriate placing and points except int the overall competition where places will be decided by one of the following: 1) Most 1st places 2) Most 2nd places 3) Most 3rd places"

In traditional strongman scoring, time does not have tie-breaking power, but Chad can change that if he wants. It does make things a bit more complicated.

-Rex

I thought about doing it where most points win...with the highest total. So...If you won ALL the 5 events...then you would have 100 points...granted we have 20 competitors.

I have had a lot of guys sending me PM's about the RT event. I am going by Ironmind rules to be more specific in my rules...only change is that i am using an old seasoned handle.

I hope this helps :rock

Chad

Rolling Thunder® Contest Rules

1. An authentic IronMind® Rolling Thunder® handle must be used, it cannot have been modified in any way, and it must be inspected to ensure that it revolves freely. The lift starts with the weight in between the lifter’s feet. In the world championships (and the U.S. nationals), the 15"; loading pin and large carabiner that IronMind sells are used (this standardizes the lifting height). Any other loading pin and carabiner with the same dimensions could be used.

2. The lifter grabs the Rolling Thunder handle in approximately its center and lifts with the handle remaining approximately parallel to the ground. A thumbless grip is not permitted.

3. Any contact between the lifter's hand and the non-revolving portion of the handle disqualifies the lift.

4. The lifter must fully straighten up; once standing straight, the lifter gets a down signal from the referee, and must then return the weight to the ground. Contact must be maintained between the lifter's hand and the handle until the weight is resting on the floor. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed or not.

5. In contest situations, we give the lifter one minute to complete the lift after his/her name is called; during that minute, there is no limit to how many times the lifter may try to complete the lift.

6. Ordinary chalk may be used on the lifter's hand, but nothing else is permitted (tacky, for example, is specifically disallowed).

Here is the list of competitors so far: UPDATED 3-18-09

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener - PAID

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall - PAID

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes Peart

Aaron C. (AC)

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe - PAID

Ryan Johnson

Derek Graybill

John Eaton

Zach C. - PAID

Edited by Too Tall

competing with the best is fun, no matter how it turns out. having said that, I'm working my butt off trying to get my numbers up.

brent

Cool to see the bucks slowly coming in. Brent and Zach welcome to hell. ;)

I'm so glad that my arch nemesis is coming .... should be fun to kick some Coulter ass once again :flame:trout

First you need to cough up the fees. Then you get to kick ass (I ought to be on commission LOL)

First you need to cough up the fees. Then you get to kick ass (I ought to be on commission LOL)

:rock :rock :rock

*cough cough* I'm broke but they'll be in before April most likely *cough cough* :D

I'm so glad that my arch nemesis is coming .... should be fun to kick some Coulter ass once again :flame:trout

As someone with 8" hands going up against someone with 7" hands in a contest with these events, you better totally blow me away or the joke will be on you ;)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Things are coming together and the "PRIZE MONEY" is ready and in "MY" account :tongue

Train hard guys! Looking forward to some good times :rock

Chad

As someone with 8" hands going up against someone with 7" hands in a contest with these events, you better totally blow me away or the joke will be on you ;)

Read that and chuckled to myself :D

Heads up in the medley...there will be a 3" Axel to (DO) dead lift. Weight will be around 300#'s. Since the original blobs will not be there...I am going with a the axel. Just wanted you guys to know in plenty of time.

Chad

Heads up in the medley...there will be a 3" Axel to (DO) dead lift. Weight will be around 300#'s. Since the original blobs will not be there...I am going with a the axel. Just wanted you guys to know in plenty of time.

Chad

Wonder how many competitors have a 3" axle to practice with? :(

Mighty Joe

Chad

Wonder how many competitors have a 3" axle to practice with? :(

Mighty Joe

Easy to make...that is what I did.

Medley: Updated 3-22-09

1. 2HP - 215-225 range (full dead lift)

2. 2-45's Pinch (full dead lift)

3. 6-10's welded together (full dead lift)

4. Blob 50 (full dead lift)

5. Fat Hex 50 (full dead lift)

6. 100# Anvil from top (about 4") (full dead lift)

7. Wide Hub 45 (full dead lift)

8. 3-25's (full dead lift)

9. Inch DB (full dead lift)

10. 2" DB - 200-225 range (full dead lift)

11. 3" DB - 120-150 range (full dead lift)

12. IM Apollon's Axel - 375-400 range (full dead lift)

13. (2) 7" IM Red Nails(back to back)

14. Phone Book (vertical tear)

15. RT (it will be the new IM handle) – wt TBA (full dead lift)

16. IM Little Big Horn on IM loading pin - wt TBA (full dead lift)

17. Fat Bastard Bomb on IM loading pin – wt TBA (full dead lift)

18. 411# Dinnie Replica (full dead lift)

19. Narrow Hub 45 (full dead lift)

20. 3" Axel (DO) Dead Lift - around 300#'s

I just went thru this...and let me tell you VERY EXHAUSTING! I would advise you to get your cardio endurance up...just FYI :whacked

Medley: Updated 3-22-09

1. 2HP - 215-225 range (full dead lift)

2. 2-45's Pinch (full dead lift)

3. 6-10's welded together (full dead lift)

4. Blob 50 (full dead lift)

5. Fat Hex 50 (full dead lift)

6. 100# Anvil from top (about 4") (full dead lift)

7. Wide Hub 45 (full dead lift)

8. 3-25's (full dead lift)

9. Inch DB (full dead lift)

10. 2" DB - 200-225 range (full dead lift)

11. 3" DB - 120-150 range (full dead lift)

12. IM Apollon's Axel - 375-400 range (full dead lift)

13. (2) 7" IM Red Nails(back to back)

14. Phone Book (vertical tear)

15. RT (it will be the new IM handle) – wt TBA (full dead lift)

16. IM Little Big Horn on IM loading pin - wt TBA (full dead lift)

17. Fat Bastard Bomb on IM loading pin – wt TBA (full dead lift)

18. 411# Dinnie Replica (full dead lift)

19. Narrow Hub 45 (full dead lift)

20. 3" Axel (DO) Dead Lift - around 300#'s

I just went thru this...and let me tell you VERY EXHAUSTING! I would advise you to get your cardio endurance up...just FYI :whacked

WOW!!! :blink:blink:blink Sick lineup and to think there are other events I would love to go Chad funds are bottomed out and it very close to my contest.Good luck to all!!!

Here is the list of competitors so far: UPDATED 3-24-09

Wade Gillingham - (he is back in the mix) :rock

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener - PAID

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall - PAID

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes Peart

Aaron C. (AC)

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe - PAID

Ryan Johnson

Derek Graybill

John Eaton

Zach C. - PAID

Great to see you back in the field, Wade :rock

I am not on the list. All I have ever told Chad is maybe - please quit putting me on the official list.

I am not on the list. All I have ever told Chad is maybe - please quit putting me on the official list.

Sorry Wade...I misunderstood you. My apologies.

Chad Woodall