1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

To all competitors only!

I am thinking about including the 2" VBar in the Medley instead of a seperate event. I know this will save lots of time and give everyone a chance to zone in on the other 5 events.

Give me some feed back guys and let me know how you feel about this either way

Thanks,

Chad

Time wise it's an excellent idea - 20 people makes for a long contest under the best of circumstances with 5 events - six events adds another hour at least - I like the idea.

I agree. It will be very long especially with 4 attempts on lifts.

- Aaron

If everyone takes them all. I've done comps when I've done two of 4 if that was all that I had or I needed. At other times (usually on the last) if I had the energy and wanted to see what I could do I've used them all. The last Euro event for example I had won with my first two attempts both the RT and thumbless d/o hand axle deadlifts.

I'm sure thats true for most contests and I agree, but this doesnt look like its going to be an ordinary lineup. I have a feeling those extra attempts may be needed with all the monsters coming.

- Aaron

To all competitors only!

I am thinking about including the 2" VBar in the Medley instead of a seperate event. I know this will save lots of time and give everyone a chance to zone in on the other 5 events.

Thanks,

Chad

Time wise it's an excellent idea - 20 people makes for a long contest under the best of circumstances with 5 events - six events adds another hour at least - I like the idea.

I agree. It will be very long especially with 4 attempts on lifts.

- Aaron

If everyone takes them all. I've done comps when I've done two of 4 if that was all that I had or I needed. At other times (usually on the last) if I had the energy and wanted to see what I could do I've used them all. The last Euro event for example I had won with my first two attempts both the RT and thumbless d/o hand axle deadlifts.

I'm sure thats true for most contests and I agree, but this doesnt look like its going to be an ordinary lineup. I have a feeling those extra attempts may be needed with all the monsters coming.

- Aaron

Having competed far and wide and frequently here's what I think will happen in light of your underlined comment above. I agree some will use every single one of their attempts in what will be, for most, a fruitless exercise in trying to add a few pounds to their numbers. At the GGC back in 04 a lifter used way more attempts than was probably a good idea, switching back and forth between hands on the v-bar or RT (can't remember which). With one exception on that day all he did was wear himself out. I've seen Chris James push the Inch only after 10 preceding attempts. For myself I've missed a lift, got off the platform, then come back and done it easy. But that means I've dropped one of the 4. My best guess is this is what you'll see. The trick, regardless of who's following you, is to stick to a plan and not miss an attempt. Either you have the strength or not.

I also tend to work to a 'bad day, good day, great day, schedule. Based on how well I've slept, eaten and so on then adding my 'how did the warm ups go' I'll have a fairly good idea of what I'll do. If there's a trick it's to have good enough numbers even on the 'my god what crap' days lifting ;) If one is able to bring it, as it were, and have an awesome day... then so much the better.

To all competitors only!

Thanks,

Chad

No problem here.

+1

Also, I LOL'ed thinking about what would of happened if you had had this contest 4 or 5 years ago with this same list. Everyone would have told you you were out of your damn mind :laugh Funny how things change

Edited by Wes

To all competitors only!

Thanks,

Chad

I don't have a problem with dropping an event. The medley could already take close to 2 hours to run alone. Here is my problem however, with RT and Axle you are contesting 2 thick bar supporting events. The Vbar was an equalizer of sorts - taking it out swings the contest to the advantage of thick bar guys. Maybe you should dump RT or Axle too and have a 4 event contest - pinch, grippers, Axle or RT, and medley? Either that or replace RT or Axle with blob + weight or FatBastard Bomb??

Edited by Wade Gillingham

Either that or replace RT or Axle with blob + weight or FatBastard Bomb??

Now this guy's got his head on straight. :D

-Rex

I know you gotta be strong to have your opinion even READ in here, LOL, but hey, I said that a few pages back!!! Why RT AND Axle ? Both events seem to test the same kind of strength. It is my honest opinion that the 1 hand DeadLift (not 1 hand lift) without a hook grip is a great test of handstrength and doesn't favor the big hands as much as every other event in the comp :D

I know you gotta be strong to have your opinion even READ in here, LOL, but hey, I said that a few pages back!!! Why RT AND Axle ? Both events seem to test the same kind of strength. It is my honest opinion that the 1 hand DeadLift (not 1 hand lift) without a hook grip is a great test of handstrength and doesn't favor the big hands as much as every other event in the comp :D

Arturo, bro, you're wearing us out with this 1HDL stuff. You wrote a bunch about it in my training log a while back, for no apparent reason, and you seem to mention it every chance you get. It ain't happenin' dawg. Let's move on.

-Rex

Arturo, bro, you're wearing us out with this 1HDL stuff. You wrote a bunch about it in my training log a while back, for no apparent reason, and you seem to mention it every chance you get. It ain't happenin' dawg. Let's move on.

-Rex

Ok Rex, moving on, I wont mention that particular move again.

I just found it funny when Wade brought this up, he suggested removing either AA or RT.... to replace it with what: Blob Plus Weight? While it is not thickbar, is another exercise for big hands to win, so maybe something a little different would be cool. Besides, there will be Blobs in the medley, right?

I wont even ask you what you'd replace RT or Axle (whichever is removed, if it is at all) with, because you'd say FW's hold for time :tongue

So... maybe it can be switched to: 45# plate hub lift plus added weight! :laugh

Let's not keep suggesting changes, even in jest, which suit our particular talents. I'm training my ass off on what was listed not on what it might be changed to.

Let's not keep suggesting changes, even in jest, which suit our particular talents. I'm training my ass off on what was listed not on what it might be changed to.

:rock :rock :rock

The only change will be the 2" V Bar added to the medley. EVERYTHING ELSE STAYS :rock Plenty of time to train and work hard...train safe :rock

Edited by Too Tall

:rock :rock :rock

The only change will be the 2" V Bar added to the medley. EVERYTHING ELSE STAYS :rock Plenty of time to train and work hard...train safe :rock

Question was asked - I answered.

So whose turn is it to make a prediction thread? :D Judging from the list it would be hard to accurately place anyone.

I don't know - I think I can come pretty close on which of us will be at the bottom hehe!

So whose turn is it to make a prediction thread? :D Judging from the list it would be hard to accurately place anyone.

I don't know - I think I can come pretty close on which of us will be at the bottom hehe!

I'll be joining you down there Chris!!! :laugh

SPONSORS:

*WWW.PERTHSTRONGMAN.COM

*John Beatty (FBBC) – prize package

*Power Systems – Gift Certificate

*Slater’s Hardware – “The 8” Monster Bell” (you Inch lifters or Inch trainers should be happy)

SPONSORS:

*WWW.PERTHSTRONGMAN.COM

*Slater's Hardware – "The 8" Monster Bell" (you Inch lifters or Inch trainers should be happy)

:blink what is that?! is there a dumbell to be given away as a prize?!!!!!!! freakin awesome!!!! will it be the prize for 19th place :laugh

SPONSORS:

*WWW.PERTHSTRONGMAN.COM

*Slater's Hardware – "The 8" Monster Bell" (you Inch lifters or Inch trainers should be happy)

:blink what is that?! is there a dumbell to be given away as a prize?!!!!!!! freakin awesome!!!! will it be the prize for 19th place :laugh

I've been communicating with Steve over the past two months about getting the Inch produced again. My last update from him is that he had a talk with a very old cast maker who said he would do it, but because he's so old, it's taking him a while.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Make me an offer people... cos I wont want to take it on the plane home he he

PS: Ask Paul Knight what I did today ;) Video to follow. :D

Yes sir :rock But you will have to fall into the top 5 for a chance at this big boy :D

Slater had a concrete bell at the Arnold last year that was pretty cool too. It now comes in a kit type affair that you can use in concrete balls you cast yourself - shipping should be easier on the pocket with them.

I've seen the photo. The concrete one looks fun and more impressive cos of the size of the (as the actress said) the balls.

Make me an offer people... cos I wont want to take it on the plane home he he

PS: Ask Paul Knight what I did today ;) Video to follow. :D

well ...... I know what Steve did today because he PM'd me to let me know that he smashed the MM7 dup - I think he's trying to scare me, but I ain't skeered! those scare tactics don't work on me, they just push me harder :laugh congrats Steve - super closes you did there, I have no doubt you will be MM6 and beyond! :bow

Just making things nice n' interesting. If am able to come and I'm feeling good this would be a nice start for me. I'm waiting for Paul S to bring the camera back from the gym and then I'll load the video for you all (new thread).

Here is the list of competitors so far: UPDATED 3-2-09

Jedd Johnson-

Paul Knight-

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes Peart

Aaron C. (AC)

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe

Ryan Johnson

Derek Graybill

John Eaton

6 spots left.

For various reasons(no need to explain) Wade, Rich, and Tex are out of the competition.

The comp will still go on...and I am opening this up to ANYONE who has placed in the top 5 in a grip/strongman comp for the last 6 spots!

The prize $$$ and the events remain the same!

Guys please PM me your T-Shirt sizes please and start sending in those entries.

Train Hard,

Chad Woodall

I'm real sorry to hear the guys dropped out, hope everythings OK.

It would have been an honor to compete in the same Contest with Wade, not to mention the other two Big guys.