1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

It would be a half decent test of grip strength/endurance (not a terribly good one though) for all competitors, except the competing organizer (along with anyone else that might have full access to the organizers equipment), who would be in a very advantageous position in a medley. If you want to attract the very best you would have to produce a fair competition. Sure, some like Mobster, would accept a challenge almost regardless of circumstances but a majority (of the very best) would not. I have for example, over the years, spoken to the three best pinch grip guys in the world (the way I rate them) and they all presented a very similar view. They are all confident in their abilities and will not yield to any 'man up' nonsense.
Steve- No, you didn't say you were avoiding it, I just wanted to make sure you weren't out and out saying "no." I read into things sometimes and I got the impression you didn't want to compete just because of the medley. It seems I was wrong, just wanted to make sure.

Steve and Wade- How better to really test the grip than a random assortment of items? If you're going to really test the best and see who is the strongest on that day, why not throw as many curve balls as you can? A medley accomplishes this. You'll be doing plenty of lifting afterwards regardless at a grip comp.

Not really... There is nothing in Chad's Medley that you can't rig up a training device for. Most of it can be made for free or not much money.

Are those actual decided on weights for the DB handles, RT, etc? If so what are they? Or are they just for showing the implements?

Are those actual decided on weights for the DB handles, RT, etc? If so what are they? Or are they just for showing the implements?

I thought you were out of the comp :tongue

I think he's back in - he called me and was trying to arange the ride situation - he's been going to an accupuncturist and I think its been helping his migranes (sp)

I said I was thinking about dropping out, I never said I was. I'm probably going to come virtually untrained but I should be there.

I said I was thinking about dropping out, I never said I was. I'm probably going to come virtually untrained but I should be there.

Cool :rock

Wade's 261# pinch has got me thinking. How many actual competition records do you think will fall at this contest? And how many people will break the current one?

MMS Grippers - what is the MMS record now using poundage rated calibrated grippers?

Euro Pinch - 115K

AA Axle - still Andrew's 451# in competition?

Rolling Thunder - competition record is?

Medley (no record of course)

I'm just hoping for at least one PR - that will make me very happy.

2 at least. Grippers are much harder in competition because the set and close need to be presented to a ref. 2HP and AA I see as more likely because we have some good guys attending with the ability to do well. RT... more difficult cos it follows the first three events.

Wade's 261# pinch has got me thinking. How many actual competition records do you think will fall at this contest? And how many people will break the current one?

MMS Grippers - what is the MMS record now using poundage rated calibrated grippers?

Euro Pinch - 115K

I think the record is the #4 that Chad closed at BBB4. Unless that is the same #4 that Steve Mac and Josh Dale closed at a previous BBB, then it ties it. I think an easy #4 will fall for more than one guy at Chads, possibly harder...

Euro Pinch will fall without a doubt. Too many guys coming who are capable to have them ALL have a bad day at once.

Axle, more than merely "likely". Durniat has his eye on it I'm sure, Chad has probably been training it and if Rich shows up, it will fall for sure.

Didn't Mark Felix pull his 301 at an official RT contest in conjunction with a SM comp? I think that could be considered the comp record. I have a feeling at least 3 of the proposed competitors could pull 250+ on the handle being used and not surprise themselves.

Euro Pinch - 115K

I think the record is the #4 that Chad closed at BBB4. Unless that is the same #4 that Steve Mac and Josh Dale closed at a previous BBB, then it ties it. I think an easy #4 will fall for more than one guy at Chads, possibly harder...

Euro Pinch will fall without a doubt. Too many guys coming who are capable to have them ALL have a bad day at once.

Axle, more than merely "likely". Durniat has his eye on it I'm sure, Chad has probably been training it and if Rich shows up, it will fall for sure.

Didn't Mark Felix pull his 301 at an official RT contest in conjunction with a SM comp? I think that could be considered the comp record. I have a feeling at least 3 of the proposed competitors could pull 250+ on the handle being used and not surprise themselves.

Chad has the record right now with a 195# #4 close. Dave, Steve, and myself all closed a 190# #4 at BBB1. To my knowledge, Paul has the hardest calibrated #4 close on vid with his 199#. Chad posted he closed a 205# #4 but it was deleted, likely because of no video. I'm predicting 205# will be the new record for grippers after his contest.

2HP: I'm going to guess Wade will pull 270-275#.

Axle: I don't really follow it

RT: nobody is going to touch Felix

Is Wade competing or are people thinking he is?

This is the list on Chad's site (see date):

Here is the list of competitors so far as of 3-5-09:

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Aaron C. (AC)

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe

Ryan Johnson

John Eaton

Zach C.

No Chad.

Edited by mobsterone

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Aaron C. (AC)

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe

Ryan Johnson

John Eaton

Zach C.

No Chad.

I think you meant to say "No Wade". That's okay, we knew that... :upsidedwn

As of right now Wade is not on the list. I would love for him to be there and see what he can do on a Euro pinch...we shall see I guess.

Chad

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Aaron C. (AC)

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe

Ryan Johnson

John Eaton

Zach C.

No Chad.

I think you meant to say "No Wade". That's okay, we knew that... :upsidedwn

Oops :blush

Edited by mobsterone

1.David Horne, England 115.0k PHMGC 2008

2.Martin Arildsson, Sweden 112.1k LGC XVII 2007

3.Jedd Johnson, USA 111.8k GC 2008

4.Chad Woodall, USA 111.5k MGC III 2007

5.Steve Gardener, England 109.1k PHMGC II 2009

6.Aaron Corcorran, USA 108.6k AZCG II 2009

7.Rex Hubbard, USA 108.6k AZCG II 2009

8.Dave Thorton, USA 104.5k GC 2008

9.Nick McKinless, England 102.6k WCPC 2007** (101.8k CC 2005)

9.Chris Rice, USA 102.6 GC 2008

The guys responsible for seven of the top ten pinches ever done in competition will be there. Besides the 3 on the list not attending - there are a few others with huge unofficial lifts - obviously, at the top of that list right now is Wade. I also have the feeling that a few of these guys possibly have training lifts equal to Wades even but are keeping quiet about it until the day of the contest. I have heard a few stories ...............................

Go, Derek, He's Our Man, if He can't do it, No One can!

That's my first recent post, so now you HAVE to go, Delboy, and take Magnus with you!

hey i live by magnus

Updated PAID List: 5-7-09

Jedd Johnson -

Paul Knight - PAID

Rex Hubbard -

Steve Gardener - PAID

Chris Rice -

Chad Woodall - PAID

Andrew Durniat - PAID

Aaron C. (AC) - PAID

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe - PAID

Ryan Johnson - PAID

John Eaton -

Zach C. - PAID

After MUCH consideration…I have decided to NOT use calibrated grippers in my contest. There are WAY too many differences in gripper calibration and I do not want to get into guys saying that gripper cannot calibrate that high or that is too low or that gripper should be higher and so on and so on. You will have 4 attempts and I want you to be confident in your gripper choices.

SO, I have LOTS of grippers that I have used for years from CoC, Beef Builder, HG, and RB’s…and I have squeezed them hundreds of times and I have them in order. There will be many grippers to choose from the top, to the middle, and to the bottom. There could be some ties…but with this selection…I doubt it very seriously. Before calibration…this is how the gripper events in contest would go down.

I will post a complete gripper list over the weekend and the order that I have…so that you can be working your strategies.

This comp is going to be AWESOME! The prize packages are set and the Plaques look awesome for 1st – 5th. And the T-shirts look great! Weights are calibrated and there should be some NEW WR’s in the 2HP and the AXEL.

I hope the rest of you guys get your entry forms in soon…but if not…the show will go on and the prize list remains the same no matter what. I will not accept any late entries past the dead line…and we will go with the strong group we have…which by the way is looking VERY STRONG!

***If you have questions…send me a PM please.

Train hard these last weeks…and be safe.

Chad Woodal

Chad you won't be able to break your gripper record now though :D

Chad you won't be able to break your gripper record now though :D

That's okay...I just want guys to relax and have fun :rock And, when the dust settles...we will ALL know who has the strongest crush on that day.

I had a semi-un-official "okay" to come to the comp. Now I need to decide if I should compete. :) Like I said before, I know I won't beat anyone. but it'd be a good experience. First grip/pinch comp ever.

Michael

I had a semi-un-official "okay" to come to the comp. Now I need to decide if I should compete. :) Like I said before, I know I won't beat anyone. but it'd be a good experience. First grip/pinch comp ever.

Michael

When you come...there is no sense in watching...competing and getting instruction from the other lifters is priceless :rock I learned SO MUCH from competing in my first comp.