1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

if these are the only weights used, does that mean that if you could do more than these weights you would not be allowed to lift it?

If it comes down to someone wanting to pull more than what is on the chart...then we will put it on there for them to pull. I doubt it will come down to that to win that certain event...but if it does we will adjust.

Do you want to compete?

im not interested in competing as i have strongman comps to do, but to be perfectly honest the way you have gone about this contest puts me off ever competing in a comp you put on

Tell us how you really feel. :rolleyes

Do you want to compete?

im not interested in competing as i have strongman comps to do, but to be perfectly honest the way you have gone about this contest puts me off ever competing in a comp you put on

As far as the weights go i just thought if that was the only weights allowed then it could possibly put steve at a disadvantage, depends on all the setups but he has done more on his old handle rt, had just under 260 pinch to near lockout on a setup that has no grip at all, and also 503 axle is a big lift but i think more than a few people could do that (maybe not in this comp i dont know)

Not sure what you are referring too...but you are welcome to send me a PM and we can talk it over. I am trying to be as fair as possible and putting up some big cash or atleast big in my eyes. Anyone that knows me...knows I am a fair guy.

Edited by Too Tall

On an old RT handle I'm a little under 330lbs or so on a newer one a long way from that (230-240 for multiple singles). On the 2HP, if warm and dry my best attempt is the 117-kilos / 258lbs (at the Peter Hortne event) but I've also pulled (with bands) 260+. Axle... middle 400's is the plan (170kg in the Euros and 190 at the Whey Power Challenge event so 200 or so seems about right). If Chris doesn't mind I'd suggest extending the lists out to 330lbs on the RT.

Also one advantage I've taken at many competitions are warm up lifts. For example on the axle: I'd wanna open with lets say 140-kilos / 308lbs so I'd take the 309 listed. After that I'd probably wanna go 20-kilos / 44lbs a time so 160, 180 and 200kg. Now I might have a hell of a day with my back being the beast that it is and feel absolutely on top of the world. Ergo I wouldn't wanna waste that strength and might ask for a 'warm up lift'. In other words NOT one of the 4 actual allowed lifts. Without two set ups I'd need to jump in whenever someone was using close to the poundage I'd want a warm up on.

In that way I might get a 1st official lift of 309 lbs then a warm up with 150-kilos (330lbs) and feel 'that was easy, I'll make the next official lift 170kg (374lbs)' thus not wasting an official attempts. Is that ok??

Did we get any feedback on the world record bonus awards / cash??

Everyone is more than welcome to jump in and call "Warm Up" on a lift or a gripper. You have to let the judge know before hand if it is a warm-up or your lift. You cannot change after the fact. Once you call a lift or call a gripper as your first then you CANNOT go down after that.

If we have enough cash left over...then I will put that towards a WR on the 2hp and the Axel for sure. I have to cover all my expenses first.

I know that feeling only too well. I was hoping you might have procured some additional sponsorship (even in gift vouchers such as those offered by IM for RT wins). Of course the gamble is as to whether or not a record will be broken. One might, if on form, break a record and still do ok without winning the overall event. Or do the whole shebang ha ha. :rock

Cheers on the rule confirmation. Saves having two set ups etc but also allows lifters to make better judgement calls. I know I usually have a very good idea of what I'm going to do on a given competition day. I'll have looked at other athletes form (much like race horses) and can and have made calls saving myself from going all out on a lift in order to place well later on. This is especially true in the early part of a competition. For example: I had a pretty good idea I'd place first or equal first to Paul (and possibly Sam) with my right hand at the British but lose some points with my left. That was based on Sam's efforts at the Euros and last years British and from the little I'd seen of Paul's gripper training in my gym. 2HP I knew from Sam's log his best would be 105 so my 2nd successful attempt with 107.7 would be enough. I could have stopped there.

As someone with a chance of mixing it up in the top three in Chad's event I'd look at what I think (as has been done previously in this thread) what the lifts will be. I also look at my own form and see where I need to bring my game up. Right now I have two areas that need a little more work and one that needs bring back to top level. First is the 200-kilo axle (based on previous efforts but with an eye on my usual issues), secondly the medley (some lifts and then the time). Of the medley I'm about there on the lifts now so it's a case of doing more and more in a shorter and shorter time. Grippers is the one where I need to be back to a single rep on a good four on the day (once and once only will suffice). The RT will be down to the implement and nothing else. Pinch - conditions and nothing else (except making sure my skin is intact before I arrive).

All that said I have written out 'poor, average and great day' numbers before. The first is if I am off my peak. The second a decent set of numbers based on training form and planned for targets and the last a 'stars are aligned and the gods have my back' day. Using the 2HP they would be 110-kilos (242lbs), 114 (251lbs and based on just missing 115.5 and 117) and 117-120 (257lbs based on just missing 117 before).

Edited by mobsterone

I just emailed Chad new charts - Axle now goes to 568# and 2HP now goes to 290#. If you need more - just let me know!

Here you go...Chart updates!

Also, on the grippers...you can drop if you need to. Since I know the grippers...to be fair you can drop back if you need to. Still only 4 attempts.

Also, on the medley...Remember that you can go in any order you want...so strategie plays an important role here. Still only 4 minutes and 1 run through.

Axel:

Base: 35#

217 222 227 232 237 242 247 252 257 262 267 272 277 282 287 292 297 302 309 314 319 324 329 334 339 344 349 354 359 364 369 374 379 384 389 394 401 406 411 416 421 426 431 436 441 446 451 456 461 466 471 476 481 486 493 498 503 508 513 518 523 528 533 538 543 548 553 558 563 568

2HP:

Base 60#

150 155 160 165170 175 180 185 190 195 200 205 210 215 220 225 230 235 240 245 250 255 260 265 270 275 280 285 290

RT

Base 6# - base wt. will be included into the final total

150 155 160 165 170 175 180 185 190 195 200 205 210 215 220 225 230 235 240 245 250 255 260 265 270 275 280 285 290 295 300 305 310 315 320 325 330 335 340 345 350 355 360 365 370 375

Edited by Too Tall

Here you go...Chart updates!

Also, on the grippers...you can drop if you need to. Since I know the grippers...to be fair you can drop back if you need to. Still only 4 attempts.

cool

New Sponsor:

StrongerGrip is donating a "Grip Ball DB"

Thanks Ryan :rock

Edited by Too Tall

Gripper order update: I still may make some changes. I oiled the grippers...so that's why things are different from the 1st gripper list. This list is not final and I have a few more to add.

1. CoC # 2

2. BB SM

3. CoC # 2.5

4. RB 260N

5. CoC # 3 A

6. RB 240

7. CoC # 3 B

8 RB 300N

9. CoC # 3 C

10. RB 260

11 CoC # 3 D

12. RB 330N

13. CoC # 3 E

14. BB EE

15. RB 300

16. BB HE

17. MM 4 Replica

18. CoC # 3.5

19. FBBC Hard

20. RB 330

21. MM 5 Replica

22. BB SE

23. CoC # 4

24. RB 365

Not going to be able to make it after all just found out i am having surgury on the 19th on 2 hernias I have ...maybe next year

New Sponsor:

AtLarge Nutrition - 2 $75 Gift Certificates

One will be thrown in the Top 5 somewhere.

I thought about right after the medley while the scores are being talley to have a MAX 2" V Bar challenge to win the other GC.

Cool :rock:rock:rock

i have an idea Chad,

How about max 2 inch v-bar on my revolving bar that Chris Rice is bringing down, to win the DB I just shipped you?

just an idea, you can certainly do whatever you wish, i don't care either way.

Edited by dubthewonderscot

New Sponsor:

AtLarge Nutrition - 2 $75 Gift Certificates

One will be thrown in the Top 5 somewhere.

I thought about right after the medley while the scores are being talley to have a MAX 2" V Bar challenge to win the other GC.

Cool :rock:rock:rock

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!!!! :rock:rock:rock

Right now, all aches, pains and a stupidly stiff back it's the last thing on my mind. But warmed up, a few bucks on the on the line... we will see. :cool

Right now, all aches, pains and a stupidly stiff back it's the last thing on my mind. But warmed up, a few bucks on the on the line... we will see. :cool

3 bucks okay :tongue

One more day or so till the entry fee cut off. I will post the final competitor list Sunday.

Everything is set and ready to go. I was on the local radio yesterday morning promoting the competition...we should have a lot of spectators :rock

Chad

Chad I have an idea

Would you be willing to call a local newspaper to get a reporter out there?

And how about one of the guys with a wifi laptop could be there to sign up people with intrest to the gripboard?

Rico

Chad I have an idea

And how about one of the guys with a wifi laptop could be there to sign up people with intrest to the gripboard?

Rico

There will be a reporter there doing a final article.

Not sure about the laptop.

:angry:

i don't want to hear that! we've got max v-bar on the line!!!

Chad I have an idea

Rico

Live results?

Vouchers for a US based company... man if I win you can buy them from me LOL. I've just booked (at a hideous expense) another Osteo session for next Tuesday (eqv to $80.00 approx for 30mins of money I can ill afford). My lowr back and hips are a train wreck. I couldn't even budge 150kg (330) or so off the floor on the double over hand thick bar deadlift this morning yet, as per my log, had a great shoulder and arm session this evening. I'm taking codeine for the pain. Bare in mind I also stopped maxing out 2-3 weeks back on the 2" V-bar and started, quite easily mind, using the 240 or so pounds in the medley.

All that said if my back is better and I have the energy following my win (he he Chad ;) ) then I'll give it a go. No promises though. :cool

Chad I have an idea

Rico

Live results?

No I ment that once the spectators are interested they will be able to have a place to go and get there questions awnsered or buy products, eg. Get em to join the grip board, wile they are there or atleast hand out a flyer with the www.gripboard logo and a list of the sponsers and maby all the events or equipement used at the event and a brief description. You know something to get some renewed intrest in our sport via the gripboard since we're the place to be for this kinda stuff

Rico

I know, I just thought Live Results (or at least updates after events, as per Mikeal / Arne) would be cool and would also give some idea that we were a Global Sport who could organize things.