1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

Congrats to the whole gang that showed up! :rock Looks like Andrew was doing some focused grip training - very impressive beating Jedd. Can't wait to see some pics/videos of this historic grip event.

this the first no 4 shut in competion?

I think a few guys closed a #4 at John Beatty's first BBB Competition.

Congratulations to all the competitors and Chad for the win!

Welldone to all those who competed - especially Chad for putting on a well run grip contest and for the win. Congrats Steve for a 205 #4 close that is a crazy gripper to close in competition! :rock and a big well done to Andrew for an axle WR.

Also thanks to Rex for his writeup. Looking forward to hearing more - how much did everyone pinch?

Grippers:

1 - Steve - Gripper #24 - CoC Hard #4

2 - Chad - Gripper #23 - BB Hard SE

3,3 - Andrew and Aaron - Gripper #21 - BB Easy SE

5 - Paul Knight - Gripper #20 - RB 330

6,6 - Jedd and Ryan Johnson - Gripper #18 - FBBC Hard

8 - Rex Hubbard - Gripper #15 - BB Hard Elite

9 - Zach Coulter - Gripper #11 - Hard CoC #3

10 - Brent Barbe - Gripper #7 - CoC #3

11 - Chris Rice - Gripper #6 - RB240...which is above a CoC #3

All 11 closed higher than a #3 CoC :rock

2HP:

1,1 - Chad and Jedd - 245

3 - Steve - 240

4 - Rex - 230

5 - Aaron - 225

6 - Chris Rice - 215

7 - Andrew - 205

8,8 - Paul and Brent - 190

10 - Ryan Johnson - 180

11 - Zach - 160

AA:

1 - Andrew - 461

2,2 - Steve and Chad - 441

4,4 - Jedd and Aaron - 379

6 - Rex - 374

7,7 - Paul and Chris - 354

9 - Brent Barbe - 334

10 - Zach C. - 272

11 - Ryan J. - did not complete a lift

RT:(added in the 6# loading pin and handle)

1 - Chad - 281

2 - Steve - 266

3 - Andrew - 256

4 - Ryan Johnson - 251

5 - Jedd Johnson - 231

6 - Aaron - 226

7 - Rex - 216

8 - Paul - 206

9 - Chris - 196

10 - Brent - 191

11 - Zach - 156

Medley:(number of items completed out of 20 total)

1 - 19

2 - Andrew - 15

3 - Steve - 14

4 - Jedd - 10

5 - Aaron - 8

6,6 - Rex and Ryan - 7

8 - Paul - 4

9,9 - Brent and Zach - 3

11 - Chris Rice - 2

Final Placings:

1 - Chad - 7 pts

2 - Steve - 11 pts

3 - Andrew - 16

4 - Jedd - 20

5 - Aaron - 23

6 - Rex - 31

7 - Paul - 36

8 - Ryan - 37

9 - Chris - 44

10 - Brent - 46

11 - Zach - 50

Edited by Too Tall

Great showing, congrats to all, did someone shoot video, pics?

Great showing, congrats to all, did someone shoot video, pics?

Yes...Eddy Anderson shot video of the entire comp. A BIG thanks to Eddy :rock And there were TONS of pics taken...will get to them soon.

Chad

Great numbers!

Some very good results there. Congratulations to Chad for winning and organising the competition. Very impressed also by Steve's performance; king of grippers.

How do we see eddie andersons video, can it be made on utube by event?

Rico

As someone who never intended nor felt qualified to compete in this contest, I would like to thank everyone for participating, for hitting top performances, and the whole organization of the event and its production. It was fun to read about in the planning, watching it unfold, watching the discussion, anticipating the competition, and then reading about the final results, followed by the detailed results. It was fun to read, absorb and ponder. And then after sifting through the details earlier today, going into the garage and having my best and most productive workout in months! Anything that does that is a great thing.

Congratulations to everyone who participated, as you all excelled in something. Jeez, last place in grippers a COC #3 and first place a COC #4! Who would have ever thought of something like that 5 years ago before the first GGC? Great job on everything Chad. And Steve G, I hope you made more here than you spent! Fantastic competition between the two of you. Quiite frankly, as close as it was, I thought it would be even closer and I would not have picked either to be #1, it was that hard to say for me so I didn't say anything.

Chris Rice, yep, Geezer Power! Just think, if you were in the shape you are now, and the sport was 5 years younger than it is now, you would have whupped the young uns! But the sport goes on, the talent just keeps getting better. And the sport is getting better. Congratulations to all!! :rock:):bow

Edited by Hubgeezer

As someone who never intended nor felt qualified to compete in this contest, I would like to thank everyone for participating, for hitting top performances, and the whole organization of the event and its production. It was fun to read about in the planning, watching it unfold, watching the discussion, anticipating the competition, and then reading about the final results, followed by the detailed results. It was fun to read, absorb and ponder. And then after sifting through the details earlier today, going into the garage and having my best and most productive workout in months! Anything that does that is a great thing.

Congratulations to everyone who participated, as you all excelled in something. Jeez, last place in grippers a COC #3 and first place a COC #4! Who would have ever thought of something like that 5 years ago before the first GGC? Great job on everything Chad. And Steve G, I hope you made more here than you spent! Fantastic competition between the two of you. Quiite frankly, as close as it was, I thought it would be even closer and I would not have picked either to be #1, it was that hard to say for me so I didn't say anything.

Chris Rice, yep, Geezer Power! Just think, if you were in the shape you are now, and the sport was 5 years younger than it is now, you would have whupped the young uns! But the sport goes on, the talent just keeps getting better. And the sport is getting better. Congratulations to all!! :rock:):bow

Mike - I'm brain dead at the moment from driving - drinking - competing etc but thank you. All day long it seemed like I was having a bad day but except for the pinch and medley I did pretty well really - by the time we got to the medley - my hands were no longer obeying the signals from my brain. These darn young bucks just keep getting stronger and stronger - my best just isn't nearly good enough in a field like this one. But if I didn't win the prize for having the most fun - I certainly was in the running - God but I love this stuff! I'll type up a better report later on but it's bedtime for this worn out old boy!

...Just an amazing trip all the way around and thanks to all involved!!!!!

Thanks for the report Zach (and to all who've been posting about it!). Bob Sundin's Inch vid was a great teaser to hopefully a lot more stuff! A huge congratulations to everyone involved, especially Chad - apparently it was an extremely successful competition in all regards. I agree with Hubgeezer - it was fun just watching from here... :rock:rock

Awesome job everybody! Sounds like a good time was had by all....wish I could have witnessed it first hand but I'm pretty stoked for the videos to come. :D

very very impressive results. A big congrats to all participants, particularly to Chad, Steve and Andrew.

Congratulations to Chad for winning and of course to all for such great results!

205 lbs #4, that shocked me..I have a couple of 206 lbs #4's and those ARE hard. :blink

Comments heard in the audience during the show:

“ Oh My!”

heard from an elderly lady when Steve was doing his tongue thing. I am unsure if it made her nervous or excited.

“ Is Chad really that strong? ”

I heard this several times from people that work at or use that facility.

“Somebody should buy that poor kid some shoes”

Referring to Zach.

“How old is he?”

Heard more than once after one of Chris’s incredible feats.

“He’s drinking beer?”

Towards the end of the comp when Paul had a mysterious brown bagged beverage.

This was the first grip contest I've had any involvement with since 2006 or so and it's amazing the progress that has taken place since that time. Stuff that most people would be very happy to acheive just a few years ago are now just one part of a medley.

It was great to get to see some old friends again, and make some new ones. Everybody went all out on every attempt, which to me is the most important aspect. Leave nothing on the platform.

Congrats to everyone that participated, and especially to Chad, Steve, and Andrew for their top placings.

Oh yeah, before I forget, I have to thank Chad and his wife for their hospitality. You have a lovely home, Chad, and a great family.

Edited by underdawg