Brent's Log

barbe705

1/23/14

2" DB rows x5 100/110/120/130/130. the 130 is still a mess. might also be that this was the third day of grip in a row between grip/gym work.

1/26/14

crappy session. back was tweaked slightly from doing some overhead wiring and shoveling snow. couldn't get moving. worked up on grippers, 2hp, and some block weights. nothing worth noting and a really long time spent screwing around.

1/28/14

2" db rows at gym 5x5 120#.

felt ok but, the cold isn't helping.

supposed to train grip tonight at home. it's unpleasant in the basement so, I'm trying to spend the day getting worked up for it. haven't had a very consistent or good run of training since the buildup to gripmas.

1/23/14

2" DB rows x5 100/110/120/130/130. the 130 is still a mess. might also be that this was the third day of grip in a row between grip/gym work.

Just a little workout? :grin:

1/23/14

Just a little workout? :grin:

I only put down the grip aspects of my gym work here. not sure why, but, that's what I do.

1/29/14

warm up

grippers 5x2 L 146 2/1.5/2/1.5/1

R 159 2/1.9/1.5/1/1.9

2hp 50/100/150/200/210/ 220 4x1

spiders 90x5, 110 3x5

WDx5 both ways 1/4/7/ 10x3 sets

behind back wrist curls 90x10, 140x10, 160x8/8/hold

rev climber curls 15# x10/10/9/8

I only put down the grip aspects of my gym work here. not sure why, but, that's what I do.

Sorry, I was joking about the font size :)

It looked super small on my browser.

it is a small font?!? i don't know why but, I seem to hit the font size shortcut without noticing quite often. I just did that on a cover letter. caught it before it went out though.

1/30/14

DO conv axle at gym 270# x6/6/6/6/5

adding reps in went pretty well. hopefully it wasn't a fluke.

2/1/14

2" db rows x5 100/110/120/130/130. didn't go well. I added in a bunch of pull ups while benching and that made the heavy rows a lot harder.

2/2/14

long warm up

grippers L 146/150/151/153/159M 3x1 extremely close on all

R 146/150/151/153/159/166m/166M all very close

FBBC 3X L 5/8/8

R 6/15/13

2hp 45mm 50/100/150/170/190/200/210/220

think pinch 25/50/75/95/105/115/125M 75x5x7x3

sorinex hub 25/35/45/55/60 1/2 way

IM hub 25/35/40/45 the IM hub felt strangely slick. almost greasy. weird coating.

lots of lifts with blocks. Josh was getting some good air on the blob but, no complete lifts.

2/5/14

spent a bunch of time working on some wriing so, didn't have the energy to do everything I normally do.

grippers L 138 5x5

R 140 5x5

2hp worked up to 2-3 singles at 225 and 2 at 230. pinch felt heavy, grippers felt good.

2/6/14

2" db rows 4x5 120#. for some reason these destroyed the skin on my thumbs. maybe it's the dry weather.

2/9/14

warm up

grippers L 138/146/151/153M/ 153M

R 138/146/151/153/159M

2hp x3 50/100/150/170/190/200/

terrible nights sleep and a rib head out. next couple off weeks will be lighter with an axle testing day. hoping to come back from the little break and be able to train hard. haven't had a good session in a while.

It looked like you're last 2hp session was pretty good

I have had some good days. I've also had a bunch of bad ones and a couple where it was just a real grind to do anything. grippers are down. For whatever reason the colder weather seems to kill my grippers. but, I did hit a 2hp PR a couple of weeks ago that was 15-20# heavier than anything I've done at home. and I have been dieting and am down 12 pounds in a month. so, all kinds of stuff going on. I'm just hoping that the break allows me to get focused and training hard again.

I agree it's probably the dieting and the cold weather losing weight can sap your strength

note to self. chris just mentioned eaton style climber curl in the grip well. start doing that again.

• Like 1

2/11/14

DO conv axle at the gym. 270# x7/7/7/7/6

felt really good and am looking forward to axle testing next week.

I mostly pull with fatgripz and test on the axle 1xmonth because of it being a pain dragging our axle to the gym. I could be wrong but was it you that did some fatgripz deadlifts and have some comparisons for the axle? If I'm wrong just ignore me. lol. Either way love the volume on the axle and I'm going to do something similar when I do pull each month. Just doing singles is getting boring.

I mostly pull with fatgripz and test on the axle 1xmonth because of it being a pain dragging our axle to the gym. I could be wrong but was it you that did some fatgripz deadlifts and have some comparisons for the axle? If I'm wrong just ignore me. lol. Either way love the volume on the axle and I'm going to do something similar when I do pull each month. Just doing singles is getting boring.

I did some fat grips trap bar deads a while back. whatever else I was doing at the time it didn't fit in as well as I needed it to. If I remember correctly, the way I had things set up I wasn't able to use enough weight on the bar with the FG on there.

I don't think I've pulled singles on the axle in a while other than on testing days. i had a hip injury and started pulling axle to warmup/pre exhaust for my squats. it seems to be about right as far as weight is heavy enough for my LB work and easy enough that I can use an axle for it. that seems to be a sweet spot that's hard to hit.

2/13/14

2" db handlex5 100/110/120/120/130. felt really heavy all around. back, hands, everything.

2/18/14

DO axle testing. sucked.

worked up to 360 and missed it at my knees 2x. did 2 work sets with mixed grip and went back to 360. missed to more times at my knees.

could be a bunch of things. the skin is really dry and polished on the thumbs where i hold the bar, winter. am down 17# in the last 5 weeks. got up early that day to shovel out car and sidewalk before work.

I don't think the wieght loss is playing an issue since all my whole body lifts are up.

Josh showed up as I was finishing. he suggested, and I was thikning about myself, alternating between the rep work and heavier sets. I haven't really pulled anything in sets smaller than 5 in a long tiem. and even the thick DB rows I do are sets of 5+. so, I think going forward I will do one week of 5x1-2 and then 2 weeks of the rep work. see how it goes. if the heavy days aren't beating me up I might go to 2 heavy and 1 rep. see what happens.

This winter is definitely killing my hands too Brent. Especially pinch, seems like I can't do any reasonable pinch workout without tearing.