Brent's Log

barbe705

11/19/14

CBGT 5.2

Maybe still a bit wiped from sunday but grippers were ok.

64k bell 5 attempts. these were rough. I decided to switch block weights and DB while I have it. didn't have much in me for thick bar today though.

ssw rev climber curl 12.5# 5x10

IM/RP block holds 35# blob/40# hex. 5x10sec

goose neck 100# db 10 sec/front lever 6# @ 20" for 5 reps/ rear lever 8# @ end for 5 reps. 5 sets.

11/20/14

DO axle 340/360/360/340.

one of the 360's would've passed, one would not.

11/23/14

CBGT 6.1

first couple sets were a bit rough. got better as I went. I was getting anxious that things were too heavy for what I was doing but, I think if I hadn't skipped the deload week to run things together I would be good.

2hp 50 mm x3 50/100/150/170. x1 200/220/230/230/220/230/220/220. all those weights are 8# heavier. wanted to do 230 for 5x1 but no dice. feeling super beat up in general. 2-200# holds to fail.

inch trainer 135# x1, 64k bell 3x1, inch trainer x1.

rev bends rail tie, 60d, 60d, grade 5 6x1/4 JH. I'll be hitting grade 5's from now on when I bend. a couple months of that and I'll try some of the 70d nails that josh gave me again.

11/26/14

CBGT 6.2

skipped DB and did blocks and called it a night. back is a bit messed up didn't think pulling from the floor would help. also just beat up so it was nice to have a short evening.

11/30/14

today was supposed to be my last grip before gripmas. basically cancelled it. I burned my leg friday and didn't sleep as a result and in general felt off. and no strength was going to be gained anyway. now i deload.

Dang bro, sorry to hear about the burnt leg!

it's cool jedd. not something I would wish for but, only my thigh. as long as i avoid infection I should be good. interesting thing though...i put my hands or forearms on my things getting up and down 100% of the time. so, I keep poking myself basically. idiot.

• Like 1

very brief gripmas write up. I was super out of it. last saturday i spilled boiling water on my thigh. then sunday I got the flu. I was a little bit better from both but not where I should have been to compete. but, I got through it without getting hurt so...win. I just missed 240 on the 2hp, should have had 250. just means i have to start building for NAGS C now.

Brent,

Way to tough it out at the contest. I can not imagine competing with the kind of pain you must have been going through. I forgot you were battling a serious head cold on top of that, plus it was getting worse as the day went on due to the accumulating chalk that was flying around. My hat is off to you, bro. Great job.

Jedd

Brent - you had said you burned your leg but were competing anyway - I expected something kind of like "no big deal" - Jesus, when I saw that thing I was "What the heck?"!!!!!! That looked brutal - take care of it buddy.

chris and jedd,

thanks guys. recuperation is the plan for the week. it was a rough day but I'm glad I was there. a good time as always. I'm hoping to be able to get back into the gym by the end of the week just to move around and feel more normal.

• Like 1

What do you think is the better nickname?

Brent "It's just a flesh wound!" Barbe

Or

Brent "Skin graft" Barbe

Did anyone notice you festive bandages?

• Like 1

thanks bob. I have competed a number of times injured. i didn't think this would get any worse from lifting so I went ahead. actually having it wrapped so tight all day did set me back a bit but, live and learn.

yeah, I specifically picked out red and green wrap for gripmas and no one noticed. bummer.

• Like 2

12/13/14

DO axle 4x1 290 with 10 count hold at top.

12/14/14

CBGT 2.1 felt good to do some easier grippers. interested to see how this ramp up goes since I actually took a break this time.

TGA magic 2hp program. start with same weights I used when I stopped this and got 6 reps vs 8 on last rep out set. I'm cool with that since I'm still wrapping up a terrible cold and my leg is still super jacked from burns. 15 days before I was well enough to stop taking cold meds.

behind back wrist curls ss w rev bends. 140# 4x10.

rev rail tie/60d/60d/grade 5 jh(nothing at all)/ 5/16x7 HR easy.

last week I did a grade 5 super easy. this week it was a slightly wobbled one and it didn't even flex. huh? honestly thinking I was mistaken with that last grade 5 bend this one was such a brick.

12/18/14

CBGT2.2

block weights worked up and did 40# blob 2x1 and 45# blobx1. haven't lifted straight up block weights in forever.

supersetted with climber curl ext's 12.5# 5x10

64K bell 5 attempts. a lot harder after blocks

supersetted with thin pinch 30# 10 sec 5x1

goose/front hammer/rear hammer. 3" db 80#/6# @22"/10# @ tape.

I switched the db to a 3" handle and dropped the weight a bit. the front and rear levers have both been increased and weren't to bad. should be able to bump weight again at the end of the month.

only attempts. I found before that when I do blocks before the thick bar it wipes me out a bit. also, I might not have had as much gas since I did DO deads the night before and am still fighting the never ending effects of the flu.

and in regards to DB lifts. on the last one I picked it up and held it at shin level. this wasn't super impossible. I feel that this backs up what Jedd was saying about the full lift being a massively different effort than the partial lift with a hold. going past the knee is totally different than below the knee. and lockout is different still.

while all this was going on I reloaded my inch trainer to 120. The plan is to start doing holds for time, i think...maybe.

• Like 1

only attempts. I found before that when I do blocks before the thick bar it wipes me out a bit. also, I might not have had as much gas since I did DO deads the night before and am still fighting the never ending effects of the flu.

and in regards to DB lifts. on the last one I picked it up and held it at shin level. this wasn't super impossible. I feel that this backs up what Jedd was saying about the full lift being a massively different effort than the partial lift with a hold. going past the knee is totally different than below the knee. and lockout is different still.

while all this was going on I reloaded my inch trainer to 120. The plan is to start doing holds for time, i think...maybe.

Well as long as you're sure :)

12/21/14

CBGT 3.1

light set work

2hp 58mm. 60x3/110x3/160x2/180/190/200/210/220/230/235 maybe a good lift.

75# plate holds 10sec. 95/115//135x3

coin hold 15# 4 sets

SS/w behind back wrist curls 140 4x10

shallow hub holds 10 sec 15#

ss/w rev bends rail tie/60d/60d/5/16x7 HR round

wrist thingy rotations 50# 3x20

paris pinch 10# x20/15#/20#/20#

grippers were rough. I need to drop back to last months grippers for at least one more go through. hopefully that gets me over the hump to the next grippers in the progression. i had wanted to go higher on 2hp but, trying these small jumps is a new thing. next time I'll start heavier on the 75# holds. I've used the paris pinch before but never pushed the weight. i felt like my thumbs got wrecked. it'll be interesting to see what happens keeping it in for a while.

• Like 1

Pinch lookin good Brent, I've been hitting the my 2hp lately too I did 215 the other day after not trying for a long long time I'll keep you guys posted of how im coming along

Pinch lookin good Brent, I've been hitting the my 2hp lately too I did 215 the other day after not trying for a long long time I'll keep you guys posted of how im coming along

thanks. every time i look at your log it looks like you're working crazy hours.

I do, i feel like I'm always workin. Or trying to recover from it!

12/24/14

DO axle 4x1 340. not impossible but, I don't think I had a lot more in me.

You're strong on the 2HP - did You already tried 2x45pound plates? Should be easy for You!