Brent's Log

barbe705

10/26/14

CBGT week 7.1 138/151. rough. ready to start over with smaller grippers.

2hp58 mm 50x3, 100x3, 150x3, 170x3, 190x3, 208 5x3.

inch trainer 135 left and right.

64k bell 5 lifts each hand, all crappy. fingers were really tired from grippers.

rev rail tie, 60d, 60d

one go through medley. after all the grippers, pinch, and thick bar along with rearranging basement and setting up medley it was wayyyy too heavy. except i know the weights and they should be good. hopefully next time will go better.

10/28/14

last night was my squat deload but I stilled pulled axle 4x3 310. felt really good. I've switched up how I'm doing axle on my squat days. now I'll have a x3, x2, x1 day. I'm feeling last night in my thumbs today.

10/29/14

CBGT 7.2

block holds 5x10sec IM 35# blob, RP 40# hex. started using wrist to hold a bigger block RP. keeping the other 2 fingers uni9nvolved was really hard. I also figured that using a larger block should hit my thumb harder.

tried some inch trainer, no dice. between tearing down and rebuilding a retaining wall mon and tues and axle last night i am a bit fried.

forgot to mention in my last post...only 11 more training sessions till gripmas.

forgot to mention in my last post...only 11 more training sessions till gripmas.

Only 7 or 8 for me - I always take the last week off completely. How's that Euro Pinch doing - going for 250 at Gripmas?

250 on the 2hp should be a done deal. all I have to do is make smart attempts and not get worked up and try something stupid. I think the plan is 225, 240, 250....... I'll also have to see how I feel on the day. If i get a sniffle or something I might have to be a bit more conservative. I'm also looking at an axle PR. I have no idea how those attempts will go bc I can never remember how the kilo jumps go.

250 on the 2hp should be a done deal. all I have to do is make smart attempts and not get worked up and try something stupid. I think the plan is 225, 240, 250....... I'll also have to see how I feel on the day. If i get a sniffle or something I might have to be a bit more conservative. I'm also looking at an axle PR. I have no idea how those attempts will go bc I can never remember how the kilo jumps go.

The Axle jumps cannot be any smaller than 2.5K or 5.5# unless it's for a weight class record - then I will allow smaller. Andrew should be bringing his 1K Eleiko plates. Print yourself out a Kilo to Pounds chart ahead of time in the range you are wanting so you can have your "plan" in place ahead of time.

that seems to make sense but, I feel like there always end up being instance where i either have to take a 5 or 12 pound jump. i always go for the bigger one because the smaller seems to small. but, i think that's the extra .5 pounds screwing up the math for me.

just looked at a chart. looks like i want to go 160, 165, 170, 175. maybe start at 165 if i'm feeling especially buff that day.

• Like 1

11/2/14

CBGT week 2.1. resetting with a bump on all grippers. still skipping week one as that is the warm up week.

3 sets heavy set work 153/166. these were much easier this time around. assuming that it's because I'm stronger...

2hp 58mm 50x3, 100x3, 150x3, 170x3, 190x3, 218 5x3. the only issue i had was with wet hands. seemed to be really humid in the basement for some reason.

4 runs through the medley. first one was left right left right, for each item. then it was speed as though it was the real deal.

2 attempts on the 64k bell. not happening.

and only 10 more training days till gripmas.

I closed my Sport and Trainer a few times - then held my 2.5 on the SB - I hate those things :). Euro up to 230# - back is weak so doing regular bar DL and Axle rack holds - right now I'm more worried about my back than my hands. Playing with the Medley just a little - climbing a lot. I guess I'll just do whatever I do at Gripmas - too late to worry about it now.

Goals

Silver Bullet - not finish last

Euro - PR - 233 or better

Axle - depends on my back - hoping for 350ish

Medley - lift 90% of the items

We shall see :)

Good luck at gripmas bud. I was thinking about going but I ran two competitions this year so I'm exhausted. I'm working hard on getting my ankle back to 100% for nationals next year. That is my big goal. To compete at a competition 100% healthy for the first time since my first competition.

the ankle surgery was no joke. and finishing school has to be creating new stress and adjustments as well. just get 100% better before you push. don't be that guy.

11/4/14

CBGT 2.2

10 sec block holds IM 35# blob, RP 40# hex 5 sets.

5 lifts on 64k bell. flats toward. supersetted with rev climber curl 12.5# 5x10

goose neck holds/fropnt hammer lifts/rear hammer lifts. front lifts 6# @ 20". rear lifts 8# @ end. both x5. 3 sets.

the goose neck holds are thumbless thick handle lifts. the handle i use is like 2.5ish. don't remember. it's thicker than an inch though.

11/12/14

axle 3x2 plus 1 with a hold. really hard. I feel like the chalk at the gym was funky. before i get accused of making excuses let me say that several weeks ago someone dumped baby powder or corn starch in the chalk bowl. so, anymore, if I feel like the chalk is funny I give it a lot more though. I think I'm going to start bringing my own.

11/14/14

quicky make up session. last sunday and wed got skipped. sun/mon/tues I was tearing down and rebuilding a retaining wall. this in addition to a tweak in my lower back sort of put me out of commission. i wanted to get some quick grippers and 2hp in today so I would be good for sundays long session.

CBGT 3.2

2hp warm ups to 228 3x1.

2 finger walks with 12# sledge.

so, empty stomach and too much coffee didn't help things but I did get some work in. the grippers were brutal and the 2hp were all 1.5 rep lifts. I was supposed to go for 5x2 but, not today. oh well, looking forward to sunday.

11/16/14

CBGT 5.1. week 4 was supposed to be a deload. I skipped it bc I've got gripmas in a couple weeks and will be deloading for that. it was nice to start the second phase with the easier grippers again though. felt super easy and got very long holds on my last sets.

2hp 50mm. Carl and Josh were over and we went with Carl's width so we could try and help him tweak his technique and get things moving. I think carl's old Pr was 150 and he managed 159. not sure what jumps we took. I was doing 10-15 sec holds as we got up. I think after 150 I started doing triples to 200? then went on to 220 and 230. I wasn't writing any of this down bc between my sets we were talking and coaching each other. between the wrong width and long holds I think that was a pretty good single though. I still have 2 more sunday pinch sessions till gripmas. 5 grip training days total.

we did a bit of silver bullet and some medley work as well. again, not sure how many times I went through the medley but, I was fried by the end.

Any body who reads this should try and get together with other people and train. even though josh and I have trained together a bunch I learned something yesterday that he got from Chris Rice that I had never heard before. these sessions can be invaluable in terms of learning. also, chris, I am accusing you of holding out on me with the 2hp info.

Brent - I'm going to quit coaching people - they keep beating me at the next contest :). Which "tip" was this?

Brent - I'm going to quit coaching people - they keep beating me at the next contest :). Which "tip" was this?

the idea about finding the correct width and being able to pinch at that width without the fingers, just palm. kind of hard to explain without demonstrating. another thing josh brought up was the idea of not burying the device in your hand, another tenet of yours.

honestly though I was thinking about this. I've had several different phases of my training. let's say: beginner, with jedd, intermediate, and with josh.

when I was a beginner I was training as well as I could on limited equipment and with limited knowledge. I got stronger, pulled off some lifts, and started entering comps. this went on for a while(I'm terrible with dates but, I would think this lasted a couple years)

with Jedd: for the better part of a year I trained with Jedd about once a month(also Rindo was there for most). I went from pinching 200 to pinching 230. I'm sure there was improvement in other things but, this is what sticks with me.

intermediate: this would be the couple of years(maybe 4 or 5) between training with Jedd and starting training with Josh. during this time I tried a bunch of different things, made some small progress, and learned to concentrate on specific goals.

with Josh: this has been about a year now?? my pinch has gone from 230 to 250ish. I am closing grippers for reps with a hold that were previously hard singles. and just in general my strength is up.

so, if you get a chance to train with someone, DO IT! the time with jedd and rindo was a good environment and we trained super hard. also, there was a massive passing on of info from jedd as far as my pinching work goes. so, atmosphere, work ethic, and a better lifter gave me gains. HOWEVER, this was also the summer that led jedd to taking the 2hp WR. I went from 200-230 and rindo went from ?-200 on the 2hp. so jedd got enormous benefit from the high energy and teaching others because, there's no way we were teaching him.

I've had the same thing working with Josh(and a couple times carl) even though I'm ahead of them in weights, there's good training energy that makes a huge difference. and helping other people figure out the lifts and the training for them gets you thinking about things in a new way. you see things you didn't see before and you can exploit that for your own gains.

basically what I'm saying is that training together is huge and if you can swing it you should. and it doesn't have to be a guru or super strong person, there's enormous benefit to training with others no matter what the level.

• Like 2

Every time I work with someone on the Euro - I think I learn as much as I teach. The "get togethers" as I call them are fantastic learning opportunities. Someone always brings up something they do that I never thought of to even try - some thoughts help and some don't of course but it's always valuable. Sometimes knowing what doesn't work for you is the way forward to finding what does.