Brent's Log

barbe705

Brent I just made up 2 new inch trainers, ill get some pics up soon

• 2 weeks later...

4/16/13

siff leg axle after deads 3x10 220#. not 100% sure on weight but, that seems close

4/18/13

inch trainer rows 5x10 85#

4/20/13

conv axle after squats and cleans 4x5 260#. still need a bit more weight.

4/21/13

medley training with josh henze. weights are lighter than NAGS champ but, lots more items. after the wounded warrior comp I'll be rearranging things so that they more closley resemble the NAGS medley.

4/24/13

speed grippers on filed #2 4x2 and 4x3

reverse roller 5x60 sec 80#

2 sets of volume closes on fbbc 2x

4/27/13

wounded warrior fund raiser comp. good time and a lot more work than I anticipated.

4/28/13

inch trainer rows in the gym 5x8 80#

4/29/13

stiff leg conv deads on DO axle 4x5 270#

5/2/13

warm up

grippers 20mm block

left: coc3(146#), coc3(151), 151,151,151

right:146,151,ghp7, mm1 rep, quad band, mm1. missed the quad band by about 1/4inch. the mm1 is a 159# gripper, the ghp7 is 153. the ghp7 feels harder.

drop sets

left: 138x3, x2

right: 148x6, x4

2hp 50x3, 100x3, 150x1, 170x1, 190x1, 210 break, 210 glued. wow.

2hp 150#+bands x5, x6, x6

did a ton of soft tissue work on my lower arms last night and they are a bit beat up. I think that and the 3 days in a row with comp is why the 2hp #'s were a bit off.

5/2/13

inch trainer rows 105# 5x5

5/4/13
axle cleans 6x2 140#
stiff conv axle deads 3x10 180#

5/5/13

4x3 20mm grippers left bbsm138, right coc3 146

rt 135 4x4 left, 4x5 right

some reverse climber curl.

5/9/13

inch trainer rows 5x8 80#. these were very easy. I need to increase the weights/start using a harder handle after NAGSc

5/8/13

warm up

speed gripper triples:

filed bbsm 5x3

124# 1x3

coc2.5 3x3(7 on l;ast right hand set)

face leversx5 6/8/10, 12# 4x2

12# front lever@l:10,12,13,12

r:10,12,14,16

rotations galore

5/10/13

warm up

20mm grippers

left 146/151/151/151/151/136x3

right 146/151/ghp7/quad band/mm1/138x5

shp taps 50x5, 100x5, 150x5, 170x5, 180x5, x4, x5

some drop basses

5/12/13

conv axle deads 4x5 250, 260, 270, 280

5/15/13
warm up
grippers
left bbsmx3, coc3(146) x3, x2, x1
right coc(146) x3, coc(151)x3, x3, x3
three attempts each hand on the inch
inch trainer 120#, 140#, 150#, 160#
grippers were a bit of a PR and I think they took a lot out of me. also shop vac'd out the basement during this. holding off a bit since josh will be over on sunday for a grip session that should be huge.

5/18/13

tested axle since I hadn't pulled anything heavy in forever. missed 370 at lockout 2x.

anyone who follows this at all. KEEP GOOD NOTES.

after testing my axle this morning I wanted to see what I pulled te weeks before NAGS C last year. not in my online journal here. I have to go back throught my gym notebook and hop it's there. record everything.

370 is close to your best, isn't it?

my notes from last year aren't 100% clear but, I think I hit 343, 363, missed 376. I think with andrew's kilo plates it goes 363, 365, 376. and last year I was about 235 and had to cut down to make weight. this morning I weight 218.4. also, these lifts were with no mental warm up and my axle is a bit slicker than an AA because of the paint on it. I think the plan is to open with 350 and jump to 370. depending on the weights available to me I might have to tweak that.

looking back at my gym notes I did not test axle before last years comp. I was just pulling singles for a bunch of sets.

I had been thinking about dropping enough weight to get out of the 105k. with classes and work stress I did not but, now I wish I had. lime MS said, I could do it with no loss of strength which indicates that I am in the wrong class. although, I have been dropping weight.

Absolutely. If you think you can make 205 with even a slight amount of strength loss, I say go for it next contest. I think my grip strength maxes out when I weigh in the 205 to 210 range, but dropping down to 183 doesn't hurt it all that bad. So the numbers seem to be telling me that 183 is my ideal class.

5/19/13

awesome traing day with josh.

worked up on 20mm block grippers coc#3 151# lefty. missed GHP7. destroyed chez's quad band right(165#).

added in a couple of rep sets that were pretty rough.

2hp with cleaned plates worked up to 227.5. didn't have a stick set up but was 99% good.

added in some drop sets with bands

lots of old york and hub lifts. lots of block work.

• Like 1

5/19/13

awesome traing day with josh.

worked up on 20mm block grippers coc#3 151# lefty. missed GHP7. destroyed chez's quad band right(165#).

added in a couple of rep sets that were pretty rough.

2hp with cleaned plates worked up to 227.5. didn't have a stick set up but was 99% good.

added in some drop sets with bands

lots of old york and hub lifts. lots of block work.

Very impressive numbers, Brent!

I had some time this morning before work and was straightening some things. I found a notebook with workouts from 6/1/08. 2hp maxed out at 170 with 175 breaking ground.

It feels like I can pr in grippers, 2hp and axle at this comp. hopefully I can pr enough to make a difference.

5/23/13

after squats pulled 370 on the axle. not easy but not max either. and now I deload until NAGS C. I think this might be the longest deload I have ever taken for a comp.

• 2 weeks later...

6/1/13 wanted to get this here as well.

thanks to the loaders and judges. Mostly I was working on Doc's platform and I don't think he even left to go to the bathroom all day long. dedication.

grippers went okay with a pr right and good number left. in the past I used to be good for about 20# better than I hit in training. it seems like that's done with and I'm hitting much closer to home numbers in comp. strangely the same thing happened with 2hp numbers a couple of years ago. so, I had been hoping for a bigger comp jump than I got but, am happy with my right hand. my left hand kicked butt. I was only beaten lefty by paul, andrew and brad ardrey. and tied with kody and martin. considering I am not a gripper guy and that I never even trained my left hand specifically until a couple of months ago this was much much better than expected. also, I didn't manage to knock the block off the table while I was reaching for it this year.

2hp. somehow I strained my right trap setting grippers. I don't know how much of a roll this played in the 2hp and axle but it bugged me all day. Not until I mentioned it to my wife did I put anything on it. she coated it in Raw Heat after the axle and it started to loosen up. wish I had done that before hand. Anyway... I had cleaned my pinch with alcohol and a scotch brite pad. I don't think I scrubbed it enough since the comp plates still felt much smoother. I changed my plan and came in way earlier than I was going to. took 205, 215, 225. 225 didn't even break the ground and felt terrible. passed on my 4th. not what I wanted but, I was able to adapt and get lifts in which was the smart move.

axle went ok but not as planned. I had hit 370 in training pretty easily. when I was pulling in the comp the weights felt deadlift heavy. I think it might have been the trap acting up though it didn't really seem to be. for whatever reason I was pulling stupid with the weight way out in front of me. only got 363. I feel like that wasn't the pull I was capable of but, 376 missed 2x. part of the issue is that andrews kilo plates force you to make jumps that are different than the pound plates I use in training. I need to get a copy of the available weights and start training with the jumps available.

medley. just moved too slow. a couple things I missed that I should have gotten. and couple things I didn't even get to that would have been easy points. I had done several weeks of medley traing for the wounded warrior comp. basically I was making it a volume day. I needed to run a clock as well and work on improving time not just getting all items. specificity.

roller. I thought it was going to be heavy so I trained it to make the full 60 secs. instead it was light and all about speed. not sure if I missed the note or just misunderstood. either way I did ok and not sure how much I would have improved if I had done things differently.

I know some things I need to change in my next training cycle and I know a couple things I need to do differently as far as comp prep. always learning.

it was nice to meet some new people but, there's never enough time for that as well as catching up. thank you to andrew, doc, chris, mary ann, loaders(even though I have competed with several of them before names escape me, sorry)