Brent's Log

barbe705

this was my third day of training in a row. I had missed a day and my scheduling changed. at the end my elbow and both wrists were bothering me.

front lever 5x5 6.25# time to increase the weight.

rear levers 5x5 12# hammer with pause at top

rear levers 2x8 12# hammer. need to get a heavier hammer or change things up somehow.

rotations 3x8 7.5#. took it a little easy on these and choked up since I was felling tender in the wrist.

mms grippers

bbsm 2x1

coc #3 2x1

bbsm 2x1

choked rb 260 3x1

levers to face 10# 3x5

wednesday 2.4.09

tns grippers

2x1 coc2.5

2x1 bbsm

2x1 coc 2.5

I am now basically tns closing the same gripper i mms. I think i need more work on my set

overcrush on choked rb260 5x1

wrist curls on cc

3x10 45#

3x10 eaton style 65#

wrist rotations 3x5 7.5#

thin pinch(2x10 with pipe and weight)

3x1 50#

3x1 60# these kept slipping. but, I couldn't find my 2.5 plates.

drop passes to failure 3 sets 32.5# block with crappy waxy paint. need to figure out where mu 1/2 75 went.

• 2 weeks later...

2"v-bar

90x

135x1

180x1

225x1

250x3 with pause. the left hand were crappy and I wouldn't count them. the right hand was solid. I think that heavier weight with a pause is better than the touch and go at a lighter weight I was doing. the feel on the hand is worlds different. the handle is still super slick.

45# hub plus weight high pull

+5x2

+6.25x2

+10x2

+11.25x2

+12.5x3 I was pretty happy with these since they were on my crappy 45.

2x25+weight

+10x1

+15x1

+20x2 left was about 1/2 way.

mms coc#3

5x1 good to almost good. working the harder gripper and failing feels better.

tns coc 2.5

5x1 closes. there was a lot of break time at this point.

2 packs of cards 1/4'd. still can't do a deck of bicycles to save my life. I think I need to start working on them the way I did other cards. fractions of a deck building up.

2 greater pittsburgh phonebooks.

dc1. to 90 degrees and stalled. I wrestled with it for what felt like 10 minutes.

I think loosing the weight has screwed up my training. it's been hard to stick with since dec and my progress has been crappy.

thats a solid workout Brent! those are good V-bar #'s .... what is the 2x25 + weight? is that pinch or someting else?

the 2x25 plus weight is 2 25# plates with a pipe through it and more small plates on the pipe. I've been trying to work my pinch at different widths on a regular basis. I also do a thinner pinch like that with 2x10. what I need is a 1/4 inch pinch plate to really hit the thin stuff. I've also been doing some more hubbing in prep for the MGC. the worst part is that if you set the plate down at all hard the little plates slam into your fingers. so, those numbers are probably a little low. I just don't like smacking myself with weights i guess.

front lever 5x5 7.25#.

rear levers 5x5 12# hammer with pause at top

rotations 3x8 7.5#.

levers to face 3x5 8#. I'm having a lot of trouble with the rear levers/levers to face. when I do them to the rear I feel like I'm swinging it and not working the muscle no matter how strict I try to be. when I go to the face I just feel this god awful stress on the top of my wrists. any ideas?

my wife came home at this point and I forgot to do my gripper work. awesome job brent. wednesday night I plan to do grippers while I watch lost. TNS every commercial break.

Have you done heavy levers to face recently? I always find them painful when I haven't been doing them regularly.

levers to face 3x5 8#. I'm having a lot of trouble with the rear levers/levers to face. when I do them to the rear I feel like I'm swinging it and not working the muscle no matter how strict I try to be. when I go to the face I just feel this god awful stress on the top of my wrists. any ideas?

What kind of stretching do you do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-mJsXSZmM

What kind of stretching do you do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-mJsXSZmM

i'm pretty good about stretching, mobility, and soft tissue work. except for my wrists. I've started doing a lot more deep work on my forearms I guess I need to take it down to my wrists. No sound at work, but the video looks good. I'll check it out tonight.

I have been doing face levers on a regular basis. I think I did them last week. I'm planning on doing them more often. the idea will be to do a lighter weight for reps at the end of the workout. trying to stay strict and fell the action.

What's your best lever to the dome?

I want to say I did 14# at the mgc last year. whatever i did I could have done the next up but, I hadn't trained with a platform the way it was contested. with a free hammer I think i've done 12 as recently as last fall.

wed 2.18.09

wrist curls on cc

3x10 45#

3x10 eaton style 65# these need t come up in weight.

wrist rotations 3x5 7.5#

thin pinch(2x10 with pipe and weight)

10x1 50#

drop passes to failure 3 sets 37.5# block with crappy waxy paint. these were some pretty solid sets.

I played with my 50# hex through out. I noticed a very different feel in my fingers with the thin pinch than the block. I think I've neglected thin for too long. need to stay with it for a while.

My wrist/pinky side of my palm felt funny when I started grippers. when I started my first warm up set it was a very sharp strong shooting pain. so, no grippers. I hope that it heals quickly, I have a highland games and some armwrestling this saturday.

depending on how it feels tonight I might give the grippers another go.

• 2 weeks later...

saturday 2.28.09

2"v-bar

90x2

135x2

180x2

225x5

2hp

160x5

front levers 8# 5x5

rear levers 12# 5x5

club rotations 3x5 7.5#

tns 2.5coc x5

Monday 3.2.09

wrist curls on cc

3x10 45#

3x10 eaton style 70#

wrist rotations I only did one set since they seemed to be bothering my already sore elbows. I think that for the rest of the month I will keep these but, drop the weight way down and increase the volume.

TNS coc2.5. my elbows were killing me and these were really crappy attempts.

after I iced my elbows and should for most of an hour rotating the bag of ice from one spot to the next. While my wife is out of town for the next 2 weeks I plan to try and do rehab/styretching/soft tissue work every night. these nagging little pains are really starting to slow me down.

BROUSE, the stretches you have in that video made a real difference. I think there were 2 workouts I didn't record where I did some hammer work. there was little to no pain in my wrist when I was doing the face levers. I need to apply that work to my whole arm and shoulder now. so, thanks a lot, that was a big help.

Nice work Brent!

Your already big forearms, must be huge now :cool

Nice work Brent!

Your already big forearms, must be huge now :cool

I did get some comments at my first arm wrestling practice this weekend. I still need to add a couple of inches though.

wednesday 3.4.09

block weight high pulls.

45# 2x1

50# 2x1

55# 4x1, dropped fifth

50# 4x1

Ring and pinky only

45# 2x1

40#+offset 5# 3x1

plate hula with 2x25 and welding gloves 2 sets to failure

with 32.5 hex to failurex1

mms 2.5 5x1

tns 2.5 3x1

I put tiger balm on my elbows and they were fine until I started grippers. then they started throbbing. I did 20-30 minutes of light weight high volume work after the grippers. then I iced for 1/2 an hour.

Monday 3.2.09

wrist curls on cc

3x10 45#

3x10 eaton style 70#

wrist rotations I only did one set since they seemed to be bothering my already sore elbows. I think that for the rest of the month I will keep these but, drop the weight way down and increase the volume.

TNS coc2.5. my elbows were killing me and these were really crappy attempts.

after I iced my elbows and should for most of an hour rotating the bag of ice from one spot to the next. While my wife is out of town for the next 2 weeks I plan to try and do rehab/styretching/soft tissue work every night. these nagging little pains are really starting to slow me down.

BROUSE, the stretches you have in that video made a real difference. I think there were 2 workouts I didn't record where I did some hammer work. there was little to no pain in my wrist when I was doing the face levers. I need to apply that work to my whole arm and shoulder now. so, thanks a lot, that was a big help.

What is "Eaton style"? Do you do them while sitting on your couch?

eaton style is when you do them standing and the weight goes between your legs. It's like a wrist curl with the palms facing back. they feel more like a lock out with the climber curl. they hit the end of the range of motion.

i do most of my gripper stuff sitting on the couch.

thursday 3.5.09

lots of soft tissue and mobility work for the whole body. followed by a bunch of high volume low weight stuff to get some blood moving. did 3 sets of 20 on the crazy bar bench at the gym. after that my shoulders and elbows felt swollen with blood, in a good way. hopefully all the soft tissue and rehab will get rid of all the pain I've been in lately and get me training hard again.

3.7.09 sat

front levers 7.5# 5x5

rotations on club 5#. I went lighter on these since they seemed to be bothering my elbow a lot.

2"v-bar

90x2

135x2

180x2

225x2

235x3

245x2

2hp

160 6x1

drop passes 37.5# block 3x sets to failure

coc2.5 tns 10x1

rear levers 12# 5x5

Monday 3.9.09

wrist curls on cc

3x10 45#

3x10 eaton style 70#

3x5 wrist rotations 5#. keeping the weight light on these seemed to help last time. I think I might stay at this weight and just keep adding reps.

MMS rb 240 5x1

TNS coc2.5 5x1

ripped 2 greater pittsburgh white pages.

about 20 minutes of light weight high volume work. this was my first workout with grippers where I really went at it that my elbws didn't flair up afterwards. I think all of the work is paying off. however, I do have a new injury. my left hand was pretty lame tonight. my neighbor had a knee replaced. he was out with his dog on a retractable leash. the dog went between his legs wrapping the new knee and took off. I grabbed the leash to stop her. it sort ofd burned through my hand a little bit. in my pinky and ring fingers you could see the arteries and veins and where the tendons attach to the bone. so, the left hand is a little gimpy right now.

wednesday 3.11.09

block weight

45# 2x1

50# 2x1

55# 4x1 these were not as strong this week as they were last week. maybe something I did in the gym.

50# 6x1

Ring and pinky only

45# 2x1

40#+offset 5# 3x1

plate hula w 2x25# and gloves. I finally got my old gloves back and these were awful. I really felt it in my index, middle, and ring fingers. by the end of each set the plates were sliding out of my hands.

mms RB240 5x1

tns 2.5 4x1

gripers were a little rough tonight. but, I feel like I'm getting better at the set. I guess that's progress. I still can't believe that I can only get my #3 once in a while at this point.

one other thing about tonights workout. it seems like my right hand is falling behind my left on the block weights. especially the thumb. it seems like it's getting to be a more pronounced difference than it used to be. odd.

saturday 3.14.09

2"v-bar

90x2

135x2

180x2

225x2

245 5x1

2hp

90x2

110x2

130x2

140x2

160x2

170 5x1

drop passes 3 sets to failure 37.5 block. slick paint. nees to be repainted or stripped. it feels wazy and chalk doesn't hold.

tns RB 260 5x1

choked RB300 5x1. not even close but, it did flex. I'd gotten away from these and need to add them back in.

sunday 3.15.09

armwrestling practice followed by some light high volume work.