Brent's Log

barbe705

If you're bored, which I've been many times out in the garage, you can turn it vertical-the handle is facing the sky-and load weights on that way and do some Index & Middle finger vertical bar or just the index if you want. It might have some carryover to something...

If you're bored, which I've been many times out in the garage, you can turn it vertical-the handle is facing the sky-and load weights on that way and do some Index & Middle finger vertical bar or just the index if you want. It might have some carryover to something...

I've done things like this in the gym. they have a slew of different style plates. I've done hub lifts with just thumb and index, or whatever finger. I think it does have carryover because you get a better feel for engaging different parts on the hand. Plus since they tend to wobble you really have to over crush.

7/1/08

2hp 90x3

140x3

150x1

155x1

160x broke ground

150x5

45#hex 5x1

tns grippers

coc#2.5x3

5x2 imtug#6

things were all over the place. I'm not sure if it's from still being sick or if I need to rethink the new training plan. I might not be able to do pinch on Saturday and Tuesday. I might switch to front loading one day and back loading the next.

July3.08

grippers

warmup

3x1 bbsm right hand

coc#3 5x1 right hand

bbsm 5x1 left hand

all grippers were ll set. left were all closes, right were .25 inches off. Hands are feeling a little rough right now.

reverse bending

2 rail ties

3 60d nails

wobbled a grade 5 6".

haven't reverse bent in forever and it shows. I need to get my chops up before ggc.

Also need to figure out what short stock falls where so I have a progression.

jul5 08

2hp

90x3

140x3

150x1

160x1

165x1

170x1

175x1

180 nothing.

warm up with block weights. 45# nothing.(damp as anything in the basement today)

reverse bending

2 rail ties

3 60d nails

wobbled a 1/4x6" grade 5

wobbled a 1/4x6" hex

need to get the form back. I think I might start doing some volume workouts.

That's some good reverse bending Brent. What's your PR before the layoff?

jul5 08

2hp

90x3

140x3

150x1

160x1

165x1

170x1

175x1

180 nothing.

warm up with block weights. 45# nothing.(damp as anything in the basement today)

reverse bending

2 rail ties

3 60d nails

wobbled a 1/4x6" grade 5

wobbled a 1/4x6" hex

need to get the form back. I think I might start doing some volume workouts.

Heck that is a volume workout for me :D

My reverse bending PR is a grade5. I hit that last year at the ggc. I know I could do one today in a comp. The extra pressure and whatever. But, since last gripmas I've been doing a lot of sledge levering. My wrists and hands are much stronger. Right now the pain/weakness of my left thumb seems to be what's holding me back. Plus, depending on the stock at this years GGC I need to get a lot better in about a month. last year there was a jump from a g5 to a g8. I wobbled the g8 and my elbows hurt for a week afterwards. Plus, I remember that a lot of us were bunched up at the g5. If you can pull past that it's a lot more points.

but, really, it's about the fact that I know I'm stronger and I really want to bend something bigger than I did last year.

Plus I might try a bastard bar after the contest so I get on the cert board. We'll see how I feel.

july , 08

2hp

90x3

140x3

150x1

160x1

165bg. I think my hands are still a little tired from the last pinch work. Plus the basement is still damp.

45#hex 7 highpulls

37.5 drop passes. About 3 back and forth. then it started to get sloppy.

reverse bending. IT CLICKED TONIGHT.

2 rail ties

2 60d nails

1/4x6" hex. blasted through it.

1/4x6" grade 5. blasted through it in a single hit.

1/4x7" square. wobbled it. I think if I had been fresher I could have done it tonight.

very sweet.

2 rail ties

2 60d nails

1/4x7" square. wobbled it. I think if I had been fresher I could have done it tonight.

very sweet.

That's great Brent, hope I can do that someday, very nice! :rock :rock :rock

2 rail ties

2 60d nails

very sweet.

That's great Brent, hope I can do that someday, very nice! :rock :rock :rock

It was awesome. It was like a light going off. I'm hoping to get things fine tuned a little more between now and ggc.

Man! I hope it "clicks" for me on the 20th :unsure

july 10

hands were wasted from gym work wednesday.

grippers mms

3 bbsm each hand

3 more left hand 3 gm right

reverse

rail tie

60d nail

didn't move 1/4x7" square.

and so I take tonight easy

july 12/08

2hp

90x3

140x3

150x1

160x1

165x1

170x1

175x1

180x1

185broke ground on 2 attempts. This is only the second time I've hit 180 in training. I think taking it easy thursday payed off.

45# hex full deadlift 7 times. it's in the basement with paint stripper on it right now. Sand it down a little and oven paint it.

around the waist to failure with 37.5# hex. the small size wall a problem. I like plates better. I need to get some more forgiving 25's and 35's

very happy with the workout. I'm getting a much better feel for the 2hp.

jul 14 08

gym work

reverse wrist curls. 3x5 70#

wrist curls 3x5 100#

cut out the gym grip work for a while. now I'm adding it back it. These were very hard sets.

tuesday july 15th 2008

experiment in 2hp began tonight. hopefully I'll be a superhero at ggc and not the guy who spent his last month training wrong.

2hp

90x3

140x3

from this point farward all weight is added to the back pin to stress the thumb.

145x1

150x1

152.5x1

155x1

157.5x1

160x1

162.5 broke ground

thumbs felt like they were engaging more. also, positioning is becoming clearer.

hublifts(35#+weight)

45x1

50x1

55x1

60xleft broke ground, rightx1

50x3

thumbs were the weak link here. I could feel the plate slipping out of that side of the hand.

35#hub hold for timex3

reverse bending. using very old wraps(I'm painting and 2 rooms are a mess.)

60dx3

grade5 1/4x6" linear s, open pyramid whatever. very freaking hard. had to do it in three tries. shocking, this is no ordinary grade 5.

I didn't even try anything else after that. health ball tonight and maybelight work on thursday. I'm going to MI to compete(very happy to be doing several compsthis year)

july 20th 2oo8.

Zach Coulier grip comp. I think I did the following

easy #3. Easily. the hard #3 was not even close.

2hp 190. Moved a little slow. need to work on speed.

bending 6" grade 5. I think that was my best bend. I got a 7x1/4" square to 20 degrees.

Axle. 230? I think I did less than gripmas. my feeling is that I lost so much of my deadlift this spring that I was spending energy on that rather than focussing on hands. I'll dead a lot more between now and ggc.

2"v-bar. 270? I think that's right. I don't think I got 280.

july 20th 2oo8.

Zach Coulier grip comp. I think I did the following

easy #3. Easily. the hard #3 was not even close.

2hp 190. Moved a little slow. need to work on speed.

bending 6" grade 5. I think that was my best bend. I got a 7x1/4" square to 20 degrees.

Axle. 230? I think I did less than gripmas. my feeling is that I lost so much of my deadlift this spring that I was spending energy on that rather than focussing on hands. I'll dead a lot more between now and ggc.

2"v-bar. 270? I think that's right. I don't think I got 280.

Brent you must have gotten 330 for axle; you lifted 341 at Gripmas, didn't you? Great overall performance!

Odin, you're right it was 330. at the beginning of the comp I told Zach that it all needed to be written down for me or I'd keep going at the same weight because I'd forget that I had pulled it.

I was really hoping for a better result than gripmas. But, I did a test about 2 weeks ago and I've lost nearly 150# on my deadlift since then. I sorta screwed up my training this spring . I spent so much time working on my throwing that my lifts have really suffered. and my throws barely improved. very very frustrating.

monday july 21/08

gym work

thick bar rows 3x5 150#

wrist ext 3x5 70# 60 is too easy and 70 is a bit much to be strict. I might have to stop using the set barbells.

tuesday 7.22.08

warmed up for 2hp and stopped. something is bothering me in my left thumb and index finger. I have a 24hour shift so, I decided to take it easy.

friday gym work

thickbar rows 3x5 150#

wrist ext 3x5 70#

1x5 60#

1x10 50#

friday home work

grippers. warmup.

5x1 bbsm left hand. all closes.

5x1 coc #3 right hand 3closes, 2 near misses. I think my hands were a little worn out from the gym work.

7x1 IMTUG #6 IM and RP each hand. varies with placement. still getting the hang of it.

I'm trying to increase my volume/endurance by adding the gym work back in. this week at work was a nightmare so, I'm a little bit more tired than normal.

brent

july 26 08 saturday

2hp

90x3

140x3

from this point forward all weight will go on back.

145x1

150x1

155x1

160xbroke ground things feel slimy in the basement tonight. not damp at all, slimy. weird.

played with the deep dish york 45. no glory at all. I think I might have to start concentrating on getting these off the ground. Again though, very slimy feeling.

shallow modern york 35# hublift x3

marcy 35#+10#x3

45# block weight. I struggled for about 10 minutes. I finally got it about 6 inches off of the ground with both hands. The new paint is soooo smooth. plus the slimyness seemed present to. I hope this gets better by the end of the week.

marcy 35#+15x2

+20x2

+25x1

+30 broke gound, maybe. hard to tell with suspended weight.

35# hublift to failurex3

july 26 08 saturday

2hp

90x3

140x3

from this point forward all weight will go on back.

145x1

150x1

155x1

160xbroke ground things feel slimy in the basement tonight. not damp at all, slimy. weird.

played with the deep dish york 45. no glory at all. I think I might have to start concentrating on getting these off the ground. Again though, very slimy feeling.

shallow modern york 35# hublift x3

marcy 35#+10#x3

45# block weight. I struggled for about 10 minutes. I finally got it about 6 inches off of the ground with both hands. The new paint is soooo smooth. plus the slimyness seemed present to. I hope this gets better by the end of the week.

marcy 35#+15x2

+20x2

+25x1

+30 broke gound, maybe. hard to tell with suspended weight.

35# hublift to failurex3

Just take the paint off the block weight or at the least rough it up with some sandpaper. It will be more consistent that way.