Brent's Log

barbe705

Last august I train 2" vabr for the GGC. I'd have to check my records but, I think I was pulling 210ish. So yeah I've set a new pr 2-3 weeks in a row now. It's not a real 2" bar, it's 1 3/4. But, I sanded it smooth with emory paper and haven't allowed chalk to build up at all. So, it's pretty slick. Right now I seem to have really connected with that event. I've been making all of these pulls with both hands and feeling really good on them. I think I found my technique. I'm excited to see what I do at MGC. Lately my highland games have been good in practice and embarressing in comp(like 75% of practice throws) I'm hoping to break that streak.

thursday 5.22.08

5 closes with bb sm. Practicing the MM set. I really suck at it. After reading Teemu's article I've realized that I was doing basically a cred card set most of the time. From now on mm set or tns.

I got the set right one time and the close was soooo easy.

warmed up with 2 60d nails DO

1 grade 5 6" DO

1 bastard bar. first ever. I really nailed it. I timed myself and it was 4 minutes even. with a big break in the middle. I nead to do more iso's so I can keep the hit up for longer.

sledge levering front and rear 5x5 8#

5x5 rotations 8#

DU 2 60d. I still need to put my DU together.

In another month I need to hit reverse hard for the GGC.

Great job on your 1st Bastard! Feels good doesn't it?

It was easier than the grade 8. I hadn't been hitting any 7" in a while and it did feel weird. I need to find a camera to cert on it.

friday 5.23.08

plate curls 3x3 25+10 pretty good form

farmers hold, 2x25 each hand, 4 sets. About 10 seconds each. the last set dropped off fast.

2 sets around the worlds 2x35#

reverse wrist curls 70#

monday 5.26.08

2x4 pinch device

built up to 1x145. very hard to use. I've started looking for some good 45's. My pinch has been suffering.

DIY RT up to 155. broke ground left, locked it out right.

ripped 2 greater pittsburgh white pages.

little bit of block work. It was cold and damp in the basement and these were really hard.

thumb sling, 2x10 10#

tuesday 5.27.08

2" v-bar240x1

250x1

255x1

260x1

265x1

270 broke ground

wrist roller 3 sets of 60# one trip each way.

Key pinch holds with 20# blobsx3. My thumbs feel funny now.

thursday 5.29.08

5x1 coc#3 right hand bbsm left. closes on all but last attempt. pretty deep set.

5x1 choked elite. basically iso's with left. I felt it flex some on the right.

DO

2 60d nails

2 grade 5 6" bolts

2 grade 8 6" bolts

DU

2 60d nails

1 very hard 60d.

reverse

2 60d

1 grade 5 6" kinked it. pretty fried at this point

sledge lever to face 10#+2.5# plate. I think it was good for a comp. last week I tried the 10# and it was easy so, I added the weight. I'm pretty happy about that.

front levers 5x5 !0# 2choke all levering is from floor.

rear levers 5x5 10# 4 choke

rotations 5x5 10# 2 choke

Marvelous job on the 2" vbar! Looks like you're going to be one of the top guys at the MGC.

Marvelous job on the 2" vbar! Looks like you're going to be one of the top guys at the MGC.

we'll see what happens. On one hand I'm getting those lifts without a break in training. On the other hand I have a full highland games on Friday then a 4 hour drive after. I'm excited as anything to see Larkin's gym. I think that's going to get some better results out of me.

Brent

sunday 6.1.08

2hp 140x1

150x1

160x1

170x1

175 broke ground. these were all back to back. Maybe 10 seconds rest. I had just traded a guy for 2 new 45's yesterday. They don't have the studid sharp edges that were holding me back so much.

po man's rolling thunder.

125x1

135x1

145x1

155x1 broke ground. put mineral oil on the handle and it is much harder now. Spins much faster.

blob cleans

25#x1

32.5#x1

37.5#x5

blob+weight

37.5 hex+10

+15 broke ground left lifted right

po man's ttk

10#x10

15#x10

17.5#x10

key pinch 20# blob 3sets till failure.

3 greater pittsburgh yellow pages.

now I'm going to scroll a 4' piece of 3/8 hotrolled for fun

tuesday 6.3.08

2" v-bar

215x3

225x1

235x1

245x1

255 broke ground. I did a lot of yard work monday and I think it's showing. My hands were a little sore and tired.

wrist roller 3 sets both ways 60#

I plan to do some expando bands and health balls for the rest f the evening.

thursday 6.4.08

5x1 coc#3 right hand bbsm left. closes on all but last attempt. pretty deep set.

DO

2 60d nails

2 grade 5 6" bolts

2 grade 8 6" bolts

DU

2 60d nails

1 very hard 60d.

kink a 6" 1/4" hex

reverse

2 60d

sledge lever to face 10#+2.5# plate. 3x1

front levers 5x5 !0# 2choke all levering is from floor.

rear levers 5x5 10# 4 choke

rotations 5x5 10# 2 choke

sunday 6.8.08

2hp 140x1

150x1

160x1

170x1

175x1

180x1

185 broke ground. sweet.

po man's rolling thunder.

125x1

135x1

the mineral oil I added got onto the handle part. It is now freaking hard. I think I like it. I might put extra oil on the handle and make it very hard.

blob+weight

37.5 hex+10

+15 broke ground left lifted right

2 inch dumbell loaded to 125#. lifted to lockout for 3 singles each hand. I was shocked by how easy this was. I think I need to add weight.

tuesday 6.10.08

2" vbar worked up to 240x1

250x1

260x1.

because of highland games my saturday wrokouts have been pushed to sunday. I can feel that I haven't recovered the whole way by tuesday.

3 sets of wrist roller 60#

sat 6.14.08

5x1 2hp 110#.

32.5 block weight 5 highpulls.

I'll be doing light work outs to help some with recovery and to keep my hands conditioned.

need to post mgc results here:

now I need to get ready for nationals.

It was very nice meeting you Brent. You have some great pinch and vbar strength too man!

thanks man. It was nice to get to meet you as well as everyone else. As sick as I was I enjoyed the heck out of that comp.

It was very nice meeting you Brent. You have some great pinch and vbar strength too man!

sunday june 29th 08

2hp

90x1

140 couldn't even break ground. I guess I'm still sicker than I realized. That was early this morning. I'm going to give it another try this evening after a couple of meals and a nap.

sunday june 29th 08

2hp

90x1

140 couldn't even break ground. I guess I'm still sicker than I realized. That was early this morning. I'm going to give it another try this evening after a couple of meals and a nap.

Couldn't have anything to do with the HG you did on Friday could it - I'm still stiff from it.

After OSG we went to a concert. I think we got home around 11. Then I had a wedding on saturday. I need a break from all this fun stuff.

After eating and a nap I gave it another try.

sunday 6/30/08

2hp

140x3

150x3

155x1

160x1

165x1

170 broke ground

40#hex x2

45#hex x5

40# hex plus weight at end of handle(5#) + on hand side x2

5-10 minutes of attempts on thumb side(tilt thunk, tilt thunk) Awesome tool.

expando bands and health balls some this evening.

The only problem with the 40 is that some of my standard plates fit it and some don't. I need to grind out my old 2.5's a little bit so I can use them on the handle. Other than that, it's awesome. And I need to buy some collars because, it's only a matter of time before a plate falls off and hits my foot.

brent