Brent's Log

barbe705

sunday 5.17.09

after sled work I did some sprints. I really messed up my left leg. It's always a lot tighter since that's the side my discs are herniated towards but, this is bad. It's an extremely sharp pain in my hip, IT band, and knee. I've been trying to stretch and keep moving today but it's been rough. I think I'll be hittig the pt a lot harder this week.

brent

monday

block weights 10x1 50#. 2 pulls on the 55 about 1/2 way up.

2" wrist roller 5x1 70#. feels waxy. might need to clean the roller.

club rotations 3 sets @ 5# 5 reps each way. pretty solid.

mms 3x1. forgot to do these early in the workout. very very bad. it sucked.

medley. about one time through. since I was running through the sets so fast I was fried at the end.

5.18.09 tuesday

still hitting 5-10 coc#2 at work each day. It's getting easier and harder. easier because I feel like my set and crush are coming up, harder because all of the chalk has worn off and it's getting slick.

after gym work I took a used shoe to 180 and then tried to heart it for about 5 minutes with no luck. my hearting sucks so bad.

still suffering from the sprints on sunday. after deads and rack pulls I was supposed to do some tgu. when I was bringing my leg through the cramps in my hips were so bad I almost didn't finish the movement. when I got home I walked the dog and did some foam roller work and stretching.

sprints are on the schedule for this sunday as well, hopefully they go more smoothly this time.

wednesday 5.20.08

wrist roller 5x1 70# much easier if I don't do block weights first.

wrist rotations 3x5 5#

thick handle farmers walk. 3 sets to failure.

no medley tonight. I'm painting/cleaning the basement. while I was doing that I did a bunch of 45# block deads. close to 20.

thursday 5.21.09

after gym work last night I hit some bends. I can't even remember the last time I bent something. I didn't have a ruler with me, which turned out to be a problem later.

I hit a 60d DO. very easy. although, even though I was very careful wrapping the wraps cam loose. these are the crap wraps I was talking about Zach, if you watching.

7"x1/4" cr round DU. felt funny getting into position but, blew through it. felt good once I found the spot.

grade 5 6x1/4 DO. again, easy but the wraps came loose.

I think it was a 7" grade 2 5/16. these used to be easy. I couldn't get it started. I think that the 7" stock is throwing me off, it never used to.

so, the first bending session sorta sucked. I only had a handful of things in my gym bag so I couldn't try anything else. I expect to get back into the swing shortly. it all just felt so weird. and I really need to get better wraps.

saturday 5. 23.09

mms grippers

1x1 bbsm

1x1 bbgm

3x1 coc#3 l;eft hand was off by less than 1/4 of an inch. right hand solid closes. I don't know if I've gotten stronger from the filed #2 closes at work every day or if my set has just gotten better. either way, I haven't hit my #3 that well in quite a while. I think the problem now might be that I have a huge jump to my next gripper. I'll have to have a look and see.

2hp 10x1 170# felt good. will move up weight for 1/2 of the sets next week. maybe more depending on how they feel.

2x45 5x1 negatives. a couple good a couple bad. next week I might try these before the pinch work.

ply wood lift to failure 3x1 20#. I do this by looping a piece of webbing through 2x10 and then using a loading pin.

ttk key pinch hold to failure 3x1 15# will increase weight next week. I'm still not sure if this is really the best way to use the ttk. i might switch to light super high rep work on this.

medley got skipped today since the basement is torn apart for painting. instaed I did sets of 10 on a pony clamp. 10 left then ten right then back again. four sets each hand. I don't know if I even moved it on the last set.

Good training BB. You armwrestle regularly?

we manage to get together about once a month. I have a practice table but, with the basement torn up I haven't been using it. by the end of this week things should be mostly finished and I'll be able to get back into it.

monday 5.25.09

block weights 10x1 50#. tried a couple of pulls on the 55 after these. still seems to be seeping water. I've been running the dehumidifier on a higher setting this last week but, it doesn't seem to help.

mms coc#3 3x1. felt good. The last workout wasn't a fluke, my grippers are back in the realm of respectable, almost.

2" wrist roller 5x1 75#

club rotations 3 sets @ 5# 5 reps each way.

worked on the medley with some extra items added in. very very tired by the end.

contrasts baths. plan to do some high volume work while watching tv.

tuesday

I had a little bit of a cut on my thumb web from pinch work on saturday. I just caught it on a drawer and ripped it open pretty bad. aside from the fact that ripping skin hurts this blows training wise. I'll put some porters on it and hope for the best. looks like I might be back to gloved training for a while.

brent

wednesday 5.27.08

wrist roller 5x1 80# I decided to up the weight on wed and keep it the same for onday since it's later in the workout.

wrist rotations 3x5 5# these were hard after the weight bump on the roller.

thick handle farmers walk. 3 sets to failure. since these aren't revovling they hit the flexors and fingers hard. I was concentrating on using my thumbs to take the stress off the rest off my hand

little bit of medley. moved everything from one side of the basement to the other during workout. I think I might be able to get the basement finished by the end of the month. I can't wait to be done with this.

sunday 5.31.09

mms grippers

1x1 bbsm

1x1 bbgm

3x1 coc#3 left 3x1 bbgmfrom cannon right. missed the #3 by less than 1/4 inch and the GM by a hair.

2hp

5x1 160#

this was all I could manage. I had a highland games yesterday and it took a little bit out of me. I plan to add in some pinch to my monday workout.

sunday 5.31.09

mms grippers

1x1 bbsm

1x1 bbgm

3x1 coc#3 left 3x1 bbgmfrom cannon right. missed the #3 by less than 1/4 inch and the GM by a hair.

2hp

5x1 160#

this was all I could manage. I had a highland games yesterday and it took a little bit out of me. I plan to add in some pinch to my monday workout.

You're a better man than me Brent - I just loafed around today - maybe tomorrow I'll workout some - my low back is tired, I wore my new TENS unit on it today - we'll see if it helps any.

sunday 5.31.09

mms grippers

1x1 bbsm

1x1 bbgm

2hp

5x1 160#

You're a better man than me Brent - I just loafed around today - maybe tomorrow I'll workout some - my low back is tired, I wore my new TENS unit on it today - we'll see if it helps any.

I might be better but, not smarter. I was supposed to do grip monday night. I couldn't even get my sm. my hands had nothing. I think between the game and sunday I'm a little fried. plus I forgot to do contrast baths after sunday. live and learn I guess.

wednesday 6.3.09

the wrist roller is out of commission do to basement work. did 3 sets each hand of the jedd johnson chain on a hammer thing. GOOD STUFF. I used an ax handle with no head. a very good exercise. I think I might at some point try it with an old climbing rope. that would just go on forever.

wrist rotations 3x5 5# super strict. I like the idea of using these after the main wrist work. I don't seem able to go up in weight but, I can tell i'm still getting a lot of work.

thick handle farmers walk. 3 sets to fail. the walking in little circles really does make it a different event.

no medley since everything is moved around.so...

3 sets to failure shot toss with my 30# globe.

3 sets farmers walk to fail with 25# blobs.

i set of front levers with 6# hammer. 2 each hand and switch until form fell apart.

also, my arms are killing me. i did heavy zerchers last night and i have weird bruises.

contrast bath after work. i'll hit my arms with the stick before I go into work.

wed 6.3.09

did a lot of soft tissue work at night. used the stick and little massage tripod thing. I still feel like there's a lot of junk from those zerchers.

also, I made a slosh pipe.

What weights you using on your thick FW?

How about a write-up from the games you did?

I need to put pics of my thick farmers walk in my gallery. basically I have a piece of 2" ID pvc that I threaded a rope through. you thread the rope through the pipe and some plates and either tie the ends or use a carabiner. instant fw handles for a couple of bucks. I've been using 115# per hand. I might try to bump it up to 135 just because it's a pain to use the 25# plate.

the games went ok. between a hip injury, my parents visiting, mgc, etc. I hadn't been out to throw once.

I just checked, the scores aren't up on nasga yet.

I did ok. they weren't close to pr's but, they weren't that bad either. after my back injury I lost a lot of strength and I'm about 20# lighter than I was last year. but, I felt a lot more athletic. I think if I get some practice in I can easily beat my marks from last year. so, I've got a month to put things together for Ohio Scottish and see if I'm right.

stone-still feels awful, I don't know what to do. I have a practiced scheduled with a hsotputter so, that might help some.

hwfd-I could really feel that I was lighter on this. a couple of practices and I think I'll be in the mid 20's. hit 18 6 at the game.

lfd-no idea what i did but, i think it was close to where I was last year.

Heavy hammer-I ended up taping a spare blade to my one boot. this did not work out so well. so so, a couple of sessions, and new blades, and I should be good

caber-since I don't have one to practice with it's still a weak spot. again though, I have some practices planned that should help.

wob-hit 10. this is actually ok with me. I freakin missed 10 at tundra in feb. I smacked the bar at 11 on all three throws. nick kohanick showed me a couple of things. I think I'll be knocking on 12's door by the end of the summer. also, I've started doing swings in the gym after some of my workouts.

so basically, I did better than I expected to.

What weights you using on your thick FW?

How about a write-up from the games you did?

open stone 27'-11"

heavy weight for distance 20'-2"

light weight for distance 44'-10"

heavy hammer 60'-2"

caber 85

wob 10'

so, like I said, all things considered not bad. I expect much better numbers after a month of being able to throw.

sat 6.6.09

mms grippers

3x1 bbgm left, bbgm from cannon right. left was about 1/8 away. right were solid closes. I have chalked up the spring to make it bind more on canon gm.

2hp 10x1 172.5.

sat 6.6.09

mms grippers

3x1 bbgm left, bbgm from cannon right. left was about 1/8 away. right were solid closes. I have chalked up the spring to make it bind more on canon gm.

2hp 10x1 172.5.

that night after dinner I did 7 greater pittsburgh phone books. worked on my grip n rip which I find impossible. The work directories are a lot smaller. I need to sit down with a couple dozen and work through them with the PK video.

I have to run into work this morning but, after dinner tonight I plan to do some high volume work while watching my movie(tonight's show is polanski's "the tenant")

monday 6.8.09

after an 11.5 hour work day.

mms grippers

bbgm left hand. 4x2 getting very close on these left handed.

bbgm from cannon right. well chalked spring. 4x1 missed the last close by a hair.

block weights

50# x1

55# 4x1

50# 6x1 these all felt very strong. nice slow deadlifts to lock out. no need to hurry it to keep from dropping. I felt very strong with the block weights tonight. why?

jedd's chain roller 2 sets up and down each hand back to back. awful. awful. awful. my arms still feel swollen.

played with hammers off and on for the next 45 minutes while I moved my basement back into place. some of the hammer wrist curls jedd has in the bending ebook(I recommend it for the exercises even if you don't bend) I plan to add these more often.

2 sets of finger walking up a 6# sledge. one handed.

contrast baths. i remember that when we bought the freezer for downstairs that i would be able to do this. well worth the time and effort.

now, I'm off to the yard to throw the dog's softball until dark.

Coulter and I need a video of this.

Coulter and I need a video of this.

I saw it on Paul knight's youtube channel. There's 2 ways to do it. the easier is with your hand at your side and you palm facing back. the other is with you elbow at a right angle and the palm facing the left(assuming you are using your right hand)

monday

I filed down the #2 I work with at work some more. between that and my hands being a little raw from last night it was not a comfortable close. still, I got 10-12 in today.

at the gym tonight I hit the RT for 175. both hands. I think that that's an okay number. considering I don't train it, have smallish hands, and worked pretty hard last night. at least I don't have to worry about blanking at chad's comp. I do however have to think about coming in at the lowest weight offered.

I did however hurt my back again deadlifting. I think it's just a muscle and not a disc thing. after my injury I lost about 1/2 my deadlift. it looks like I'm now in the group of guys who have stronger hands than backs. nuts.