Brent's Log

barbe705

Thanks for the link. You ever video your DL workouts?

no I haven't. I bought a camera last black friday and I have yet to take a single video. I think that part of my training plan post woodall comp is to start getting some bending certs done. the hardest part will be getting into the habit of using the camera.

the hardest part will be getting into the habit of using the camera.

It can revolutionize your training. Especially if you train alone. It's amazing how different deads can feel from how they look. Do it.

wed

work in the pm today so did grip this morning. this was supposed to be my last grip workout until chad's comp. I ended up doing 5 sets of light wrist rotations. there was a pain in the pinky side of my palm. deep, against the bone. I thought it would go away as I warmed up. it did not. so, except for some AW this sunday I am done until woodall grip challange. I'll be doing lots of soft tissue work each night. I plan to do several highvolume workouts that give me a little bit of a pump followed by contrast baths to keep the blood moving. I giess I'm ready to go.

Rest up Brent and don't kill yourself at AW practice. I think you'll end end up with some real PR's at Chad's contest. Especially on 2HP. The trip with Climber will priceless anyways :D

Rest up Brent and don't kill yourself at AW practice. I think you'll end end up with some real PR's at Chad's contest. Especially on 2HP. The trip with Climber will priceless anyways :D

I plan to take it easy at practice and spend the rest of the week doing rehab work.

the palm inury has finally stopped hurting. I hope it holds up under stress.

the back is still an issue. I think that pain will be the deciding factor in my axle lift now. however I am still working and I have a week to get better. we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

woodall comp report.

first of all I had a big PR on Rt and mms grippers in a comp. so that's good. I had hurt my back about 2 weeks out and was not looking forward to axle.

grippers.

we warmed up and then i seemed like forever before things got rolling. in truth I think I just timed it badly. so, with my nerves all jangly I hit the easiest #3. I freaking got my thumb pinned in my palm and screwed the close. my next three attempts were the easiest 3 and the next 2 grippers. all super easy closes. I don't know what happened between warming up and deciding where to come in and my attempts. I had come in way too low and the first screw up made me play it safe and move up one at a time. I should have been bolder. I'm not sure I could have closed a big enough gripper to make any difference in placing though.

2hp

either my first lift or last warmup I set it down funny and got a stinger in my left thumb. that screwed me up quite a bit. I think I really need to bite the bullet and buy a pinch set up. it feels so different from my crapass plates with pipe. not at all what I wanted.

axle.

had a lift(forget weight) didn't hold it strong enough for the down signal. tried it again. felt one of the bad discs in my back move. I covered my back in capsazin and had my rehband belt on until about 7 that evening. it's mostly stiff now. I had been doing well with my back. i need to get back into the PT groove big time.

RT

PR. jedd's coaching during the comp helped me get my last lift. thank you JEdd.

medley

heavy stuff. but, stuff I have done before , even after a comp. sad performance.

I felt funky all day. like my blood sugar was all over the place. a lot of lightheaded dizzyness. I'm not sure what that was about. I ate more on friday driving down than I normally do. had a good breakfast on saturday. ate newtons and apples during comp. sunday on the way home I ate a large meal about every 2 hours. it was a very weird feeling. I think part of it might have been the sports drink. I have cut back coffee to one cup in the morning and no pop. I had some fasttwitch before the comp. when I got home I looked at the package. not only does it have caffeine, I think I mixed it wrong and got a super dose. I'll try it on saturdays workout and see if I get the same awful feeling.

more to say later

woodall report II

got the chance to spend some time with chris rice during the drive down. that was worth the trip alone. I learned a lot and had a great time.

mobster is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. during the medley he was following me with the chalk and coaching as I failed item after item. he was there during every ones attempts pushing them and helping where he could. a true class act. also, huge and strong.

paul knight is a lightweight who wouldn't go out with us after we drove specifically to pick him up. sad.

everyone was a pleasure to compete with and it was really a great day. after comp we were comparing hand size with each other. looking at some of the thick bar work these guys were doing compare to me with only a slight difference in hand size has really driven home the point that I'm mostly a collection of weak events. I need to start working a lot harder on some of the "hand size" events.

the deathgrip 2" revolving dumbell handle was insane. I will never buy one because I wouldn't be able to get myself to use it. it would have to sit on my mantle.

the slater bell(I brought it home with me for jedd.) is awesome. I plan to stage many many pics with it.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot but, I'm still a little bit tired and worn out. been doing some soft tissue work at work with a lax ball.

monday june 22nd

still stiff and sore to some extent from the woodall comp. however, I just got my fbbc grippers. I played around and warmed up with a couple of 1x closes. then about 3 2x closes. The 3x seems a bit easier than my 33 than rates at 151#. the 4 was more than I could handle last night. I had been playing with these off and on all night which might explain it. it's also a bit wide. so, without chalk they were a little hard to hold onto.

tuesday june 23rd 09

played with the new fbbc grippers in front of the tv. did 5-10 attempts on the #4. my set started getting sloppy so I switched to tns on the 2x. got a bunch of those.

wednesday june 24th 09

mms grippers 3x1 bbgm left. pretty crappy attempts.

bbgm from cannon right. maybe a hair away. I think I might be tired from the night before.

block weights

5x1 55# hex

45# hex+5x1

+10x2x1

+5x2x1

last gripmas I was pulling the 45#+15 regularly. then I got the bigger blocks and started focusing on those. at the woodall comp I missed chad's blob 50. I know that it's only a single data point but, I think I have an idea. it looks like blob ability might be better served by doing a smaller block with added weight rather than as large a lock as possible. I'll be training both to cover my bases but, it's interesting.

2hp. worked up to 1403 and had to stopped. I had a bad set down at chad's comp and my left thumb went all crazy. It seems like I have a bruise in the thumbweb. it didn't bother me on the blocks or pony clamp. it really did on 2hp.

front levers 5x5 5# on handle

rear levers 10# hammer 5x5.

I was supposed to do a couple of other things but, I am starving.

saturday 25th of june 09

mms grippers

3x1 bbgm from cannon. with a little overcrush action. right hand

3x1 bbgm left. of by about 1/4 inch.

2hp

3x1 175#

5x1 with weight backloaded after 140. 165#. when I made my best gains on pinch it was using the backload training technique. I'm going to stay with that until GGC and see what happens. also, my thumb is still injured from woodalls. it doesn't hurt when I'm training but, I can tell it's more sore afterwards. it is getting better though.

climber curls 3x5 40#. easy weight, time to go up

3 sets eaton style to failure

3 sets face levers with 103 hammer x3x4x5. wrists were tired after the climber curls. however, I felt the multi reps better than I do with a max effort. I think I'll stick to repping the face levers for a while.

wrist ext 3 sets to fail on empty bar.

lots of foam roller and stick work. followed by 30 minutes of yoga with my wife, more foam roller stick work.

been hitting the fbbc3x 5-10 times everyday at work. and, each time I hit the gripper I hit the pony clamp as well.

monday the 29th 09

bad workout.

I had come home and ripped up carpet and padding in one room and carried all that plus all the other trash to the curb. and I had been hittnig the grippers and pony clamp hard at work today.

mms coc#3

3x1 both hands. awful, couldn't even get a deep enough set

block weight were awful. couldn't get the 553 all the way up.

other stuff. just and off off night.

I think that since I bumped up to the harder gripper I need to skip it on my work days.

Edited by barbe705

monday july 1st

mms grippers

3x1 bbgm left hand. missed by about 1/8 on the first 2. closed it on the third. a huge left hand gripper pr. that thing has eluded me for quite a while.

3x1 fbbc 4x right. first 2 missed by about 1/4. 3rd one closed. I haven't had it cal'd yet but, I think it's harder than my #3. plus, no knurling.

2hp

5x1 165#backload. easy weight. tried 170 after these and it broke ground. I think I'll stay at 165 for a while and try to increae the reps to ten.

climber curls 3x5 50#. adjusted the handles and it was more comfortable. I think it might have made it a bit easier.

3 sets eaton style for 15 reps. felt a LOT different with the new handle setting.

face levers with a 10# hammer

left 5x5x6

right 6x8x6

time to move up a hammer.

wrist ext with empty bar 3x10

curls with 20# blobs. 2 sets to failure. odd exercise felt it all through my hand. I'm going to start trying ti use a finisher exercise every workout.

contrast baths. not enough ice.

sat july 4th

mms grippers

bbgm left 3x1 very close on all. less than 1/4 inch.

fbbc 4x 3x2 right. close, missed because of set, very close.

face levers 10# hammer

left 4/5/5

right 5/7/5

front levers 3x10 7.5# felt good, no elbow irritation like normal.

wrist extensions with empty bar. 3x15

block weights and pinch. I did block weights and 2x25 until I could do no more. I'd do a block weight then the 2x25. then I cleaned up a little. then a block weight 2x25, repeat. I kept dropping down in block weights when I missed. I was there for a while cleaning and pinching. good morning.

mon july 6th

mms grippers

bbgm left 3x1 close on all. 2 tries at coc#3. about the same.

right coc#3 3x1. rb300 2x1. about 1/2 inch? maybe a little less. I was a little bit tired. I had hung up a pullup bar in my basement adn attached some thick handles to it. so, I did a couple of sets on that before I got started. it showed.

2hp

160 3x1

162.5 x1

165 miss.

50# block2x1

552x1

50 2x1

45+5 2x1

45+10 miss

45+5 2x1

front levers 3x10 7.5# switched hands back and forth. maybe 10 secs between sets.

rear levers. 3x5 103 hammer. couldn't find 12#.

rear levers 8# hammer supersetted with wrist ext on empty bar. 6 reps on hammer, 12 on ext.

contrast baths.

wed july 8th

worst workout in a long time. I would guess I was at 60-70% strength. it just felt like I wasn't even using my hands. not like I was working as hard as I could but wasn't strong enough, just no tension. hopefully the extra time off will show next workout.

sat july 11th

mms grippers

left coc#3 3x1 about 1/4 inch of. the last one was awful. very bad set.

right fbbc 4x 3x1. off day. very close on attempts but,. no real closes.

face levers 12# hammer 3x3

face levers 6# hammer 4x10. sets were done with no rest in between. first the 3x3 then right into the 4x10. I still feel these mostly in the top of my wrist. I wonder if that's because I'm unstable and that's where I'm fighting it. next week I might try them with my arm on a table.

front hammer raises

3x5 8# hammer

front levers 3x10 5#.

one hand pinch. worked up to a max then down to 2x25, then up, then down. pretty exhausting with no real rest between attempts. it also kept my max to 80#.

203 blob cleans. 3x10. good finisher exercise. unless they slip and go flying.

sunday the 12th of july 2009

did sled work with thick handles(2" OD). kept switching hand position up. it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

after sled work and sprints I did some pullup ladders on 2" OD bar. that was rough for me. it's amazing how much force you have at the start of the motion. I found it very hard to hang on past the 4 reps at the end of the ladders.(they were1,2,3,4 for 3 or 4 ladders) I'm hoping to improve my thick bar, RT, and supporting grip through the addition of extra thick bar work to things like these. I've also started maxing out on the RT each day at the gym. it only takes a minute and it's extra stimulation on my non grip days. and I'm adding the around the worlds back in starting this week.

wed july 15 09

mms grippers

4x1 coc#3 left. about 1/8 inch away.

3x1 coc#3 right, 1x1 fbbc 4x. couldn't get the fbbc set correctly and missed it by a mile.

2hp

165 10x1 I don't think I've ever hit this for the full 10 and had it feel so solid.

climber curl 40# 3 sets to failure, 3 sets to failure eaton style.

face levers

3x6 8# hammer. couldn't find the 10#

rear levers 12# hammer. several sets while watching tv.

Brent, how are your injuries doing? I hope to train with you, if you come out to Jedd's this summer :cool

Edited by John Eaton

Brent, how are your injuries doing? I hope to train with you, if you come out to Jedd's this summer :cool

I seem to be mostly healed up right now. Monday I fell through a step that broke and banged myself up a little but, nothing too bad. Jedd and I have to set some dates, but I'll let you know when we do.

brent

sat july 18 09

mms grippers

left coc#3 3x1 holding it at the end, getting closer. I think if I was fresh I could nail these.

right fbbc 4x 3x1. near misses on all.

face levers 12# hammer 3x3

rear weaver stick built up to 6.26 left and 7.5 right. plus what ever the pin weighs. I think I'm starting to understand this lift a little better. I'll be sticking with it for a while.

club rotations 3x5

tns grippers

5x1, RB180 left, RB210 right.

tore one deck of crappy cards.

did a little bending:

I tried some stuff in double wraps and it sucked. I couldn't get anything in those. I don't know if it's because I'm just starting up again after a long break and my shoulders are stiff, or what. so, I went back to the single wraps and managed to work up to a 7"x1/4" square. I stopped after that because my palms were getting sore. I could have gone shorter but, my hands aren't used to it yet and I decided to quit while I was ahead.

so, the plan is to bend something at fbbb that won't make me look stupid.

july 20 09 monday

mms grippers

left hand 3x1. closed the coc#3 for the first time. easily. the next 2 were not so easy. huge left hand pr.

right hand was 3x1 #3 with overcrush to fail.

block weights

45x1

50x1

55x3

50x2

45 plus weight

+5x1

+10x2

+5x2

front levers 3x10 5#

rear levers 3x10x8x8 8# hammer

club rotations 3x10 5#.

july 20 09 monday

mms grippers

left hand 3x1. closed the coc#3 for the first time. easily. the next 2 were not so easy. huge left hand pr.

block weights

45x1

50x1

55x3

50x2

45 plus weight

+5x1

+10x2

+5x2

front levers 3x10 5#

club rotations 3x10 5#.

forgot to say, after block weights I did 2hp 5x1. 167.5# backloaded. I think that might be a pr. they felt insanely solid. I think I could have gone 170 pretty easy but, I was pressed for time and rushing.

july 20 09 monday

mms grippers

block weights

45x1

50x1

55x3

50x2

45 plus weight

+5x1

+10x2

+5x2

front levers 3x10 5#

club rotations 3x10 5#.

forgot to say, after block weights I did 2hp 5x1. 167.5# backloaded. I think that might be a pr. they felt insanely solid. I think I could have gone 170 pretty easy but, I was pressed for time and rushing.

looking back I have notes that I was getting 175 and that 180 was breaking the ground. need to work harder. but, that will have to wait until next week since I have a deload this week for zachs comp.