Brent's Log

barbe705

Tuesday 3.17.09

front levers 5x5 7.5#. time to up the weight.

rotations 3x5 53. thses are super strict since I dropped the weight down. I think I'll keep it here and increase the reps for a while.

levers to the face 5x1 12# hammer left was unstable, right was good.

3 sets to failure. weaver to the rear with 8# hammer

mms RB240 5x1

choked RB300 3x1

highvolume work.

• 2 weeks later...

Arm wrestling tournament

Grippers

MMS RB240 3x1

Negatives on extended handle RB300.

The negs sucked, couldn't really get it choked down. The MMS was a revelation. After reading the interview with Paul Knight I retooled the way I do my warmups. I went into the work sets and they were easy. time to move up a gripper for the work sets. Thanks, Paul Knight, I owe you a beer.

2"v-bar

245# 5x1

2HP

270#

10x1

the last rep slipped and cut notches in my thumb as it slid out. I need to sand that down.

gloved plate curls 25#

3x3

these are the kind that are solid with just a grove around the middle. I really felt it in my fingers.

block weight hula.

37.5# block

3 sets to failure. Felt really good.

I think the deload week paid off. I feel a lot better going into this next cycle and I expect to make some big gains. The armwrestling seems to be helping rather than hurting my progress. And I think that the new warmup program is going to result in some big grippers shortly.

2HP

270#

10x1

the last rep slipped and cut notches in my thumb as it slid out. I need to sand that down.

You're either a liar, far stronger than anyone could have known, or made a typo.

whoops. It was 170 on plates. thanks for keeping me honest Zach.

2HP

270#

10x1

You're either a liar, far stronger than anyone could have known, or made a typo.

3/29/08

did some axle deadlifts in the gym. It was awful. I'm sure I was a little weaker from the day before but, the results sucked. It was on a chrome knurled thickbar. I think they chromed it after the knurling was done. it was slick and greasy. I pulled 315. it wasn't a max but, I don't think I could have gone more than 10# heavier. I thought that the knurling would make it easier than a smooth axle. I was wrong.

monday

wrist roller (2")

5 sets 60#

club rotations 3x5 5#

45# hub lifts 6x1

plate hula 2x25 gloved

3 sets to failure

MMS 3x1 BBSM

choked rb300 5x1

high volume recovery work.

4/1/09 wednesday

slim levers from floor

5x1 10# these were all over the place. The pad I was using sucked. I need to get more practice on these and I expect the weight to go up a good bit.

face levers

5x1 12# still not as stable as I want them to be

rotations 3x5 5#

high volume work

saturday 4.4.09

2"v-bar

90x2

135x2

180x2

225x2

245 5x1 none of these were full lockout. I was run down this morning.

2hp

90x2

110x2

130x2

140x2

160x2

175 10x1

gloved plate curls. 3x3 25#

block weight hula 3 to failure 40# block

MMS GM 3x1. almost closes. felt kind of week all morning except for 2hp.

Brent, is that the order that you are doing your exercises. If so, I don't think I could close a GM after all that work beforehand. That is if I was inclined to do all that in one session of course :D

About once a month I do grippers before the rest of my grip work. I just don't like them. I;ve been thinking about taking them to the gym and doing them on those days but, I haven't gotten around to it yet. I do need to move them to the front since they're really holding me back. but, I hate doing grippers.

monday

wrist roller (2")

5 sets 60# time to up the weight. this is about a 5 foot ROM.

club rotations 3x5 5#

45# hub lifts 10x1. after the wrist roller these are pretty freakin hard. I was able to 15# to it in the past. I really had to work to get 10 reps with no weight.

plate hula 2x25 gloved

3 sets to failure

MMS 3x1 BBSM. I couldn't get close with the GM tonight. but, the SM was easy. I just need to work a little more to bridge the gap. or move them to the front of the workout for a while.

choked rb300 5x1

AW cable work between almost every set/attempt in the above.

high volume recovery work followed by foam roller and soft tissue work on the lower arm.

Wed 4.9.09

slim levers from floor

5x1 10# tried some 12's but, couldn't get them all the way up. Did some other fromt lever work for sets of 10 at the end.

face levers

5x1 12# right is getting very good, left sucks.

rotations 3x5 5#

mms

5x1 bbsm

2x1 bbgm. the right hand was solid on all of them. the left hand sucked on the gm.

high volume work.

4.12.09 sunday

2"v-bar

245# 5x1 I had a cut on my right hand that was holding me back. The left was having trouble though. this makes about the umpteenth week in a rwo that I managed to cut myself badly enough that I had to tape up to train.

2HP

175#

5x1

a lot heavier than 170 was.

gloved plate curls 25#

3x5 I used a plate I could hook my thumb on. They were pretty easy sets. then I tried my thick 35's and it was impossible to move.

4.13.09monday

wrist roller (2")

5 sets 70#

club rotations 3x5 5#

45# hub lifts 10x1.

plate hula 2x25 gloved

3 sets to failure

MMS 3x1 BBSM.

choked rb300 5x1

high volume recovery work followed by foam roller and soft tissue work on the lower arm.

4.18.09 sat

AW tournament. my class and the one above left and right. still very sore on monday morning.

4.18.09 sat

AW tournament. my class and the one above left and right. still very sore on monday morning.

How did you do at the tournament?

4.18.09 sat

it was a small field. I took 3rd left in my weight class and second left in the weight class above me. right I got smoked. but, I think I learned a lot and some things I've been hearing at practice really clicked for me. I think I'll do much better at my next tournament(2 weeks before GGC)

4.18.09 sat

it was a small field. I took 3rd left in my weight class and second left in the weight class above me. right I got smoked. but, I think I learned a lot and some things I've been hearing at practice really clicked for me. I think I'll do much better at my next tournament(2 weeks before GGC)

Small field or not nice work! Maybe you'll give me a shot pulling, after one the contests to see how bad you'll beat me :D

4.18.09 sat

Small field or not nice work! Maybe you'll give me a shot pulling, after one the contests to see how bad you'll beat me :D

I'm up for that. are you going to MGC this year? I noticed your not on the list.

went to the gym last night and my left arm is still killing me. I did some light rehab type work just to get some blood moving. Saturday starts vacation so I wanted to get some good wok in this week but, it doesn't look like it will happen. I'm going to try and do some more high volume stuff jsut to get healed up.

4.18.09 sat

I'm up for that. are you going to MGC this year? I noticed your not on the list.

Not this year.

• 3 weeks later...

really unhappy with results of MGC for a number of reasons. tomorrow I start my next training phase in prep for Chad's comp. I need to rethink what I was going to do and how I was going to change things over all. I', planning to add in some every day work that will hopefully help stimulate some growth.

hammers

I still suck at the hammers compared to where I feel I should be. I never practiced the quarter lift the way it was going to be done in the comp. as a result I start the coin levers from my knees. I think this was a huge and stupid mistake. I could have easily avoided this if I just started thinking more. PRACTICE EVENTS AS CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE TO THE WAY THEY WILL BE CONTESTED. I learned this after gripmas. and again now. I wonder how often I'll have to learn it before I apply it.

v-bar.

not sure what happened. 250 was light and easy. after that my hand felt weak and it was like I couldn't get it to tighten down before the lift. no idea why. getting up at 2 am and driving might have had something to do with it. plus, I didn't take the time in the week before to pack snacks and such. as a result my diet was a huge deviation from what I normally eat. this messed me up just a couple of weaks ago with AW and I still didn't change anything. KEEP DIET AS STABLE AS POSSIBLE WHEN COMPETING. MORON, YOU EAT ALMOST THE SAME THING DAY IN , DAY OUT, AT THE SAME TIMES, KEEP IT THE SAME. HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO MESS UP YOUR STOMACH.

hub

I was doing my hub work at the end of my workouts. fool. plus, the hubs I have weren't like the hub we used. I don't get a different hub would have been all that realistic of a strategy but, moving the hubs to the front of my workouts would have made a huge difference. also, for some reason I thought we were still doing 2hp so, I split my time between hubs and that. PAY ATTENTION THE EVENTS AND ANY ODD VARIATIONS THERE MIGHT BE.

grippers

grippers suck. I think if my set had been slightly better and a little more efficient I could have bumped up 2 grippers. I keep saying I'll practice these and I don't. I need to find some way to train them that keeps me into it.

rim hold.

I think I did pretty well. I went really early, that hurt. I'll go so far as to say I could have been top 2-3 if I had gone after the better times. I could have tried this a couple of times but, I really feel that not having a time goal to beat was what hurt me the most on this.

so, strategy for the next 6 weeks:

get stronger. I'm going to be hitting it harder in the gym as well.

recovery recovery recovery. contrast baths after every major grip work out. extensor bands at work for high volume a couple of times a day. soft tissue work in the evenings while watching tv/reading. rehab work(ball rotations, stretches, mobility work) while watching tv/reading.

workouts:

monday

block weights 10x1. work back up to 603 hex and then start doing high pulls.

grippers mms 3x1(I think if I keep the sets small and only once a week I'll be able to stick to it. I have other gripper work ideas)

2" wrist roller 5x1

club rotations 3 sets @ 5# with a goal of increasing reps

medley. go through it and repeat until failure on all items.

wednesday

wrist roller 5x1 same weight as onday. increase each week by 5-10 pounds.

wrist rotations 3x1, again, set at 5 pounds and increasing reps.

thick handle farmers walk. one set to failure. not sure how well this will work. it might have to be change to RT touch and go sets. we'll see.

medley until failure at all items.

saturday

grippers 3x1 mms(i don't want to do mms but, I need to get better at setting for every freaking comp I go to)

2hp 10x1

2x45 5x1 start with negatives and work from there. On a good day I can hold them at the top so, I think this is close.

ply wood lift to failure 3x1

ttk key pinch hold to failure 3x1

medley until miss on every item.

medley:

I have enough weight and stuff that I think I can leave a number of items set up. so, the plan will be to push through them in series until I miss all of the items. as I go I will tweak it so that the items keep getting harder, or easier if I set the bar too high in the first place.

3" handle dumbell 120#. weight might need to change.

12# hammer rear lever

strap lift 25# weight to platform with gripper(TBA)

tube lift heavy

tube lift light

2x35 thick

coin lever with 6# hammer

slim lever 12# hammer

bombish lift weight TBA

2" v-bar 250

coin pinch weight TBA

45# hub

in the gym on tuesday and thursday I have some shoes and nails in my bag. I plan to start tossing in some bends to get back into that since I have done it for months.

I'm taking my #2 to work(like I meant to before and didn't) the plan is some high rep stuff on an HG in the moring and 5-10 closes of the #2 throught the day. I might have to bump that gripper up but, I wanted something I could do basically cold and was still kind of hard. hopefully after a month of that I can close the freakin thing with my set alone(wich might be a good training idea for practicing set...)

hopefully I can stick to the plan and accomplish what I want to.

re: chads comp and zach....

I'M COMING FOR YOU KID COULTER

Edited by barbe705

monday

block weights 10x1 50#. had a couple of pulls on my 55 but couldn't get more than a couple of inches

grippers mms 3x1 RB240. went well except for the pain. my hands are still a little raw and tired from mgc.

2" wrist roller 5x1 60#. nice and hard. a lot different in the middle of a work out.

club rotations 3 sets @ 5# 5 reps each way. pretty solid.

medley

I mostly spent the night trying to get the objects set up and the weights figured out.

contrast baths 4 cycles, 30secs hot then cold.

it took quite a while but, that's okay. i spent the down time cleaning the basement.

wednesday 5.13.08

wrist roller 5x1 60#this felt super light compared to ,onday. I'm not sure if it's because I did it first or because I'm mostly recovered from mgc at this point.

wrist rotations 3x5 5# I had an idea for a different way to work this that I might try out when I get a chance. will post more later.

thick handle farmers walk. I spent so,e time setting this up but, it seems to work prety well for my needs. It's just some 2.5" pvc with rope looped through plates and then reconnected with a carabiner. I went 90# per hand and wandered around my basement. I might bump it up a third plate.

medley until failure at all items. I think this is going to pay off endurance wise. plus it's a good way to see what's getting hit in the workout and what isn't.

This weekend I need to pack up the bending stuff for the gym. I never got around to that. I have been hitting my filed #2 at work 5-10 times a day. I can hit it basically cold and get a close. I think that by the end of the month I might have to bump up a gripper.

contrast baths after workout. 4 cycles.

saturday 5.16.09

grippers 3x1 mms rb240. this was a little stiff. it wasn't until the 3rd set/close that it felt good. I might need to warm up a little more when I do things first thing in the morning.

2hp 10x1 170#. went well but, got heavy by the end. I still need to sand the edges of my plates a little bit.

2x45 5x1 these were horrible negatives. I guess the ten singles tired me out a little. but, I did feel the thumb and wrist flexing hard as I fought it.

ply wood lift to failure 3x1 forgot to do these.

medley until miss on every item.

The medley went through about 3 times before I could only hit the easy events. Then I finished with about 6 minutes of contrast baths.

thursday and friday I hit the filed #2 at work 5-10 times each day. planning on doing some high volume and mobility work this evening.

Brent