Training For The #4

CoC#3

You should start certifying on the Mashmonster Grippers, Sam. They are good steps on your way to the #4!

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• egg_uk

• pdfk20

• Alawadhi

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Florian, i might certify on them in the future. I have closed MM1 and MM2 replicas with both hands already, not sure if i could get the MM3 though that gripper has stopped a lot of strong guys! Cert wise at the moment my main focus is to get the GM2-GM5 done aswell as become a captain of crush!

tonight's grippers - for caffeine tonight i ground down some caffeine pills and dissolved them in a bottle of coke they seemed to work faster and give a better hit if dissolved lol!!!

LH -

RB240 x 1,1,1 TNS

MM1 x 1,1 TNS

BBE x 1

06 #3 x 1,1,1,1

RH -

RB240 x 8 x1 TNS

MM1x2x1

filed #2 x 10x1 TNS

wrist curls -

50kgx10x3 injured wrist is feeling better.

Edited by CoC#3

Err didn't we have a chat about cutting back on the caffeine? Here's what I do. One stong black coffee (2 teaspoons Nescafe 3 sugars) before every training session. On my one hand lift days (when training and then not always) and on the leg press, bench and pullover days as well as competitions I used 1 x 5mg eph tablet (again not always). With most sessions just short enough so that the coffee kick lasts throughout plus mental focus and drive from my inate nature I do ok.

The amount of caffeine in your case is at least on par with 2-3 x 5mg eph tabs and it's for every session. Like guys given the strongest antibiotics you have nowhere up you can go and ergo as regular use will negate the 'kick' you'll use more (and you use plenty as it is) but not feel the difference.

I actually cut back a fair bit, this was a one off, hence the mention. Saying that, it did work because the closes on my #3 and the BBE felt better than usual. I normally drink 4 teaspoons of a strong coffee with 2 sugars before sessions. If i vary my caffeine source, i find that i can keep it working pretty well. For example if i do a few months of just coffee and then i start red bulls again instead the kick will be huge. 1 pack of caffeine pills from superdrug has lasted me over a month - and half of those were taken on competition day.

Cheers Mob.

today's grippers -

LH

no set RB240x3

MM1x3x1

#3x5x1 very easy tonight

BBEx1

#4x0 (1/4''-3/8'' miss) then forced closed and neg.

Real hard wide, stiff RB240x1 (borrowing this from Will, this gripper is a fair bit harder than a #3 but isn't too bad at the close, it seems to have loads of 'sticking' points throughout the sweep which make it hard)

#3x1 overcrush

no sets filed #2

RH

no set RB240x4

MM1x1

#3x1 fairly easy

BBEx0 (crap set+pinky skin started tearing so i stopped)

no sets filed #2 loads of closes

I need that BBSE for the LH.

Edited by CoC#3

Did loads today, played with some steel Pete sent me (thanks mate), a bit of thick bar and a few #3 closes on video.

I bent the 1/4''x6'' CRS and couldn't kink the grade 5. I don't know what sort of leather to use for wrapping so i just used a towel. Can anyone give me some help here?

Did loads today, played with some steel Pete sent me (thanks mate), a bit of thick bar and a few #3 closes on video.

I bent the 1/4''x6'' CRS and couldn't kink the grade 5. I don't know what sort of leather to use for wrapping so i just used a towel. Can anyone give me some help here?

Talk to David Horne. The wraps he sells for his Wrist Developer would probably be ideal.

Thanks Andy. i checked out David's shop i think i'm going to buy the wraps when i get some cash!

today's sesh was good

rh - warmups, mm1x2, BBEx0x3 (2-3mm off), mm1x1, rb240 no sets, filed #2 no sets

lh - warmups, mm1x1, #3x4x1, BBEx6x1, BBEx3(pr)

chest crushing - BBWC as far as i can for a few sets of 5.

hammer curls - 25kg thick bells x 10 x 2

light levering and wrist curls - big improvements in the left wrist!

today's stuff - bit too hot for my liking was atleast 28degrees in the house for this session

LH -

RB240x1

#3x2x1

BBEx4x1

#3.5 miss (3mm)

#4 miss (aweful attempt, probably about 10mm off)

#3xovercrush

#3 no set attempt - no go the spread on my #3 is too wide. I am not very good at no setting anything more than 2.75'' wide.

RH -

RB240x1

MM1x10 clicks and an overcrush

BBE 3mm

BBE 3mm

BBE 1mm this one was very very close

MM1x1

no sets filed #2

rolling thunder -

warmups

90kgx1 easily with each hand

95kg x very close x 3 (pr for height)

80kgx1

80kgx1 thumbless

85kgxhalf way up thumbless

65kgx5, 70kgx5, 75kgx5 thumbless

one hand barbell finger rolls

60kgx3 lh and rh

60kgx10x3 with both hands

great sesh tonight still hot though...

hammer curls - full rom, 60mm handled db -

15kgx10

25kgx10

35kgx5

45kgx2

55kgx2x1 LH (pr)

55kgx2x0 RH, close with the RH.

35kgx3x2

25kgx3 thumbless

concentration curls - full rom, 60mm handled db

25kgx6

25kgx6

table top curls -

25kgx3 elbows hurt on these but weight is easy

thumbless rolling thunder -

80kg BH

85kgx1 LH, 85kgx0 RH

65kgx10 BH

thumbless 60mm db -

55kgx3 BH

axle rows -

52kgx10x2

cheers mate. I've always liked hammer curls, when i was bodybuilding they were my favourite exercise for the biceps! I want to get 21'' arms this year so i guess i'd better start doing the heavy arm work again!

21s, where you do a superset of the lower part of the curl, followed by the upper, then full ROM, usually give me a really good pump. Also as many as you can on a heavy weight, so you can do around ten, then superset with half the weight until failure, so have two bars set up and dont have a break. And supersetting hammers and alternates. Expect you know or have used all of them, but they work best for me. Good luck with 21" inch arms, thats huge.

Tried those methods a few years back, they tend to shock the muscle but they lose effectiveness real quick as you get used to them. Supersets of bis and tris have given me some very good gains in the past though. You ever tried this? My arms, these days, are growing pretty well off simple stuff, using heavy weights. I've had them at 20'' before (last summer) but that was with more fat than the 19''s i have now.

Edited by CoC#3

yea i have, its about time i did them again, it has been awhile. Another one we used to do at the gym, that just used to tire the out was pyramiding the weights, using the low pulley of a cable cross over, picking a low weight doing 1 rep of that then 2 reps of the one above, till you cant do anymore, then work back down. dont think its that good for muscle growth, but it kills.

the main thing for growth, your right, is simple low reps high weights

Cables make a change now and again, i actually rate them pretty highly because they are offset therefore the resistance is constant meaning no sticking point. I'd use them more often if i had regular access to a gym. Cable curls with the rolling thunder handle are fun aswell, and it's a great foream and bicep exericse. Pushdowns are generally underrated as a tricep exercise but i have had more growth off these than i have off any other tricep movement.

Edited by CoC#3

push downs, especially with a rope a rope are awesome for tricep growth, waiting to buya power rack with high and low pulleys, as i think skull crushers and kick backs arent as effective in my experience, My best work out for tris is just push downs and skull crushers

I've never rated kickbacks much either, i generally don't get on with exercises where you can't handle heavy weight. Skullcrushers are ok, some of the top benchers use these for tricep accessory work and can move weights around 250-300lbs (i think Anthony Clark - RIP - use 400lbs for them). Floor press is an under used movement for the triceps but generally those who can move a lot of weight like that have huge arms. I am going to start doing these again.

think my top skull crush is a measly 100lbs, not really tried floor press, might do when i save up for a power rack, bit suspect otherwise as i generally train on my own now.

think my top skull crush is a measly 100lbs, not really tried floor press, might do when i save up for a power rack, bit suspect otherwise as i generally train on my own now.

Floor press is actually easy to bail out of on your own, i've done it many times. Chuck it towards your neck/upper chest and you'll have plenty of room to roll out because the plates will hit the floor. If you are using 20kg plates it'll clear you by a fair bit. I've had to do this many times lol.

not so easy, house is on a hill, so its three stories, but from the side the garage is on it looks like two, so the garage is really on the first floor and the lounge is underneath. but thanks anyway

ah that's a bit of an arse, nothing's ideal though i suppose, i don't even have a garage so i just train in the backyard and keep my stuff in a shed. I am looking into hiring out a few garages though to get a better training set up.

generally they arent too much 40-60 quid a month, go in with a couple of friends, its better to have all you stuff set out and you can train at any time or weather. And it helps me to train more often as its all there, i know i wont have to wait to use any stuff and i dont have to travel anywhere, helps me to be less lazy, as does keeping a journal

generally they arent too much 40-60 quid a month, go in with a couple of friends, its better to have all you stuff set out and you can train at any time or weather. And it helps me to train more often as its all there, i know i wont have to wait to use any stuff and i dont have to travel anywhere, helps me to be less lazy, as does keeping a journal

Some local ones have been hired out to builders for 10p, yep, just 10p a week. I was a year or so too late on these, they would have been 1 minute walk from the house aswell :whacked

No one round here is into the sort of training i am doing - they all hang round the leisure centre gym with their expensive tracksuits and imaginary lats those little bitches...