Training For The #4

CoC#3

Training this year from now is aimed at 2 things, closing the #4 and lifting the millennium bell. For the last few months, i have been focusing on all round grip because of the iron grip contest 2 days ago! After speaking to Mobster (both of us could talk all night LOL) about goals in grip i decided that i need to keep my training simpler and more focused on the #4.

My best #4 attempt with witnesses at the iron grip on Saturday was about 4mm off. That's a little over 1/8''.

The workouts are gonna be mainly about grippers and thick bar. I progress best with negatives and singles so i'm going to use these. I like filing grippers aswell so i'm most likely going to buy a new #4 and file it. My #4 i'm going to use for progress measure. I've got an inch replica on the way which i'm going to be doing a lot of training with.

To supplement this i'll do the standard stuff aswell, the squats, overhead work, bicep work, etc... and maybe play with strongman stuff once in a while. Once i get the inch i'll use that for the bulk of my overhead work.

Edited by CoC#3

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• egg_uk

• pdfk20

• Alawadhi

Top Posters In This Topic

Slam it Sam! I know what you mean about keeping it simpler, it's always tempting to play with every grip toy under the sun. Good luck with the training.

Sam, Good to hear u focusing your goals, im sure you'll be shutting that no.4 very soon!

Sam,

if you focus all that energy and talent we saw at the British Grip Champs, I have no doubt whatever that you will achieve both those goals.

It was a pleasure to meet you,

Pleasure to meet all you guys aswell. All top blokes with great strength and ability. Thank you for the encouragement. My first session back today. Most of the soreness has gone.

21/05/07

axle militaries - 50kgx10, 65kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx5

axle rows - 50kgx15, 50kgx15, 50kgx15

no set grippers - RB240x5 each hand

wrist rehab - empty axle wrist curls both ways, 4lb hammer rotations both ways, stretching, light extensor work

cheers mate!

tonight - contrast baths, 1 hr powerball for recovery, light extensors

Good luck Sam, and go hard with the squatting! (as I'm sure you know a squat workout is also a grip workout) I'm looking forward to following your log.

- Duncan

thanks Duncan

22/05/07 - strength coming back after comp! still nothing heavy

axle deads from bar at toes - 55kgx5, 95kgx5, 135kgx2, 165kgx2, 185kgx1, 135kgx3, 135kgx3

grippers - RB240 no sets, MM1 parallel set closes, RB240 credit card sets

plate loaded thick DB - 40kgx5, 50kgx3, 60kgx3, 70kgx3,3,3,3 with each hand

powerball work

Will you be making all of your updates here or are you still using your journal on the other site? Btw, good luck on closing the #4.

just here now mate! thanks.

23/05/07

one arm press (thick db) - 30kgx5, 40kgx5, 50kgx3, 60kgx1, 70kgx2, 70kgx2, 60kgx1, 50kgx3,3,3

btr rolling thunder (handle mid shin) - 65kgx3, 75kgx3, 80kgx2, 60kgx3

one arm rows (thick db) - 50kgx3, 60kgx3

very light wrist curls

Worthy goals you have there, good luck! Are you pressing strict, or push press? That's big pressing anyways.

Did You already tried an InchDB before? Just curious. Very good Axle DLs!! :rock

Burkhard, tja, shorn - thanks! The presses are strict until it gets past the 50kg mark then i use some leg drive. I haven't tried the inch yet but i can't wait to! I've got a replica from heavygrip tools on the way.

Burkhard, tja, shorn - thanks! The presses are strict until it gets past the 50kg mark then i use some leg drive. I haven't tried the inch yet but i can't wait to! I've got a replica from heavygrip tools on the way.

Ah I know - it's amazing to wait for this piece of steel! :) If Your Axle Dls are double overhand You should be able lift the Inch I think!

Edited by Burkhard Macht

Those particular axle dls were done with a mixed grip because i just wanted to warm up for everything else, not tire my grip out. My best effort double overhand is 157kg, and i have got 180kg to about mid shin. :mosher

Just checked your gallery, amazing lift of that inch! :blink

Those particular axle dls were done with a mixed grip because i just wanted to warm up for everything else, not tire my grip out. My best effort double overhand is 157kg, and i have got 180kg to about mid shin. :mosher

Just checked your gallery, amazing lift of that inch! :blink

157kg is a good lift - try to improve and the Inch will be Yours soon, bro!

Yes was Dirk toying with that Inch, not to mention Chads abilities.... :)

Thanks mate. Hopefully after a bit of playing around with the inch replica i'll be able to lift it. I prefer 2.5'' thickness to 2'' because you can hook the wrist more and use forearm strength to lift it.

24/05/07

GRIPPERS -

LH

RB240x1, MM1x1, filed #3x1,

#4 to 5mm then negatives

#4 to 4mm then forced in and negative

#3.5 very close miss then several bounce negatives

#3.5 10 second hold at 4-5mm

MM1 3x10second overcrushes

RH (felt tired)

RB240x1

#3.5xnegs

filed #2 x few reps

RH wasn't good today i think it's still fried from the comp.

Edited by CoC#3

Keep chocking the grippers to death :rock

#4 to 4mm , is AWESOME!!!, keep up the good work, your RH will be back to form very soon.

thanks Pete!

25/05/07

GRIPPERS

RH -

RB240x2, MM1x1,1,1,1,1,1 RB240 loads of no sets no sets getting back up there strength wise

LH -

RB240x2

MM1x1

MM1x1

brand new #4 out of the pack - somehwere between 1/2'' and 2/3'' a lot harder than my other #4! 2 attempts!

MM1x2 10 second overcrushes

RB240 no sets

MM1 no set attempt got pretty close

This #4 is hard. I know because i was pretty strong warming up and the MM1 felt like a toy. Disappointed with my attempts on that #4 tonight to be fair.

32kg kettlebell bottom up presses.

As per what we discussed: the new 4 is now for testing of the grip only and must not form a part of the usual grip tools.