Thanks guys!

Monday 12.11.2007, Workout #1

1. 45 mm wooden pinch block, 2 hp

1 x 10 x 60,0 kg

1 x 10 x 62,5 kg

3 x 1 x 80 kg

Wearing thick workers gloves

1 x 5 x 50,0 kg

Didn't get the feel right, I seriously have to get a bit thicker block for pinching to feel it in my thumbs. Maybe around 52-54 mm.

2. Blobette 37 lbs

- added 1 lbs from last time, plan is to add 1 lbs/week if my lefty can keep up with my right

- 20 minutes of continuous work without breaks, a ton of miscalleneous lifts, going for the feel

- highlight with right hand: pretty strict curl :)

3. RT, reverse curls, going to failure, no breaks

R: 1 x 7 x 15 kg L: 1 x 4 x 15 kg

R: 1 x 13 x 10 kg L: 1 x 14 x 10 kg

R: 1 x 12 x 10 kg L: 1 x 8 x 10 kg

- saw some improvement from last time.

This was an ok workout, nothing big and fancy going on, but I have a feeling I might be doing something correctly. I will stick into this and build the much needed base.

Edited by Teemu I

Teemu, outstanding log! I also believe you will close the #4.

I worked a little on my LTF as well and can sometimes pinch the 40 lb. blob and two 25 pound plates LTF.

How does the Blobette work for facelifts? Does it have a good feel or is it too slippery?

I worked a little on my LTF as well and can sometimes pinch the 40 lb. blob and two 25 pound plates LTF.

How does the Blobette work for facelifts? Does it have a good feel or is it too slippery?

Bob, thank you for the nice words and encouragement!

I've also read your log from time to time and appreciate the amount of thought you put into your training and into your log.

Those lifts you mentioned are great accomplishments!

I really can't say anything precise about the feel of the Blobette on the facelifts. My hand span is too small to grab a hold of the face. I can't reach across the face even if I use only my middle finger and thumb. However, I would bet that it is more slippery than the cast iron blob. My blobette is the non-polished stainless steel model. From what I've gathered, it is also a bit more slippery to lift the regular way than the real blob. The sides on the Blobette imitate the feel of the cast iron nicely, but the surface is even and more slippery on the other part. Sides feel great.

I worked up to a point earlier, where I was able to get just a bit of air under the blobette filled up to 50 lbs. This was with right hand only. At present, I'm so far from that type of open hand strength. I was stuck at that level for many weeks and I tried to get a full DL on camera. As I didn't, I got frustrated and gave up training on the blobette for a period of time. Now, I'm determined to work up to that level again and get that 50 lbs deadlift done. I've heard that 45-46 lbs lift on the Blobette would be enough to lift the real thing, but as I don't have access to the real deal I want to lift a full 50 lbs on the Blobette to see myself as a "true blob lifter". :)

Edited by Teemu I

Bob, thank you for the nice words and encouragement!

I've also read your log from time to time and appreciate the amount of thought you put into your training and into your log.

Those lifts you mentioned are great accomplishments!

I really can't say anything precise about the feel of the Blobette on the facelifts. My hand span is too small to grab a hold of the face. I can't reach across the face even if I use only my middle finger and thumb. However, I would bet that it is more slippery than the cast iron blob. My blobette is the non-polished stainless steel model. From what I've gathered, it is also a bit more slippery to lift the regular way than the real blob. The sides on the Blobette imitate the feel of the cast iron nicely, but the surface is even and more slippery on the other part. Sides feel great.

I worked up to a point earlier, where I was able to get just a bit of air under the blobette filled up to 50 lbs. This was with right hand only. At present, I'm so far from that type of open hand strength. I was stuck at that level for many weeks and I tried to get a full DL on camera. As I didn't, I got frustrated and gave up training on the blobette for a period of time. Now, I'm determined to work up to that level again and get that 50 lbs deadlift done. I've heard that 45-46 lbs lift on the Blobette would be enough to lift the real thing, but as I don't have access to the real deal I want to lift a full 50 lbs on the Blobette to see myself as a "true blob lifter". :)

Teemu, thanks for your reply. I don't think we're allowed to post links to sites that encourage or link to "copycat" equipment, but one of the best-known grip training blogs has a lot of great info on the blobette, and I believe everything you just posted agrees with his observations. Breaking the blobette off the ground loaded up to 50 lbs. is a great pinch!

The 40 is a good fit by the face for me; the 45 is a big but good stretch; it is very difficult to get anything but my fingertips on the 50. I've broken the 47.5 and the 45+5 lbs. off the ground with facelifts, and have a full lift with the 45 plus 2.5 lbs by the face. I can actually get the 45 by the face more reliably than the "normal" way, it just feels like a more consistent way to grab it (less affected by day-to-day "feel" changes).

I don't really have a regular routine yet, I tend to group certain things together, but just do whatever seems fun at the time, unless I feel "wrong" warming up. I'll likely have a more regular routine once I am more experienced and knowledgeable, but this is supposed to be recreation after all, so I'm hoping to keep the fun in it and avoid staleness. Thanks for the compliment, but right now my routine is more "feel" than "thought".

I hope the pinch and thick DB training I'm doing carries over well when I make my first really serious run at grippers. I am amazed at your strength and hope to be able to close the #3 and hopefully beyond like you someday myself. Do you do anything special to keep your knuckles feeling good (the shot rotations probably help your whole hand)?

Edited by odin

Bob, I know the grip log you are refferring to, it's a great blog.

I'm sure the pinch and thick DB training will carry over greatly to grippers. At least you'll certainly be strong on the sweep. The rest comes with specific training targeted towards the end of the gripper close. I bet you'll have no trouble setting any hard grippers. That's where I currently lack strength. I'm stronger towards the closed position of the hand.

I have tried to do as much extensor work and shot rotations as I can to help keep my knuckles pain free. I have managed to avoid all the possible pains on my right hand, but have had some trouble with my weaker left hand. Right now I have to take everything a bit easier with my left hand. I've now decided to work with my left hand only on the excercises that feel good and don't irritate my knuckles.

There's nothing wrong with going by feel, I still think there's rationality behind the things you do. I didn't have a structured plan for months, but just took care that I was working progressively and kept it fun. Now, I am again following a pre-determined plan to make myself work my apparent weaknesses more and keep myself away from doing too much of my favourite things. I have to train patiently now to keep my hands in one piece. I've been doing too much grippers even though I knew it's not good in the long run. That's the apparent reason why I'm having some trouble with my left hand at the moment. As the progress kept coming and I was able to close a gripper after gripper I got carried away. But I'm back to my senses now. :D Gripper PR's can wait.

Thanks again!

Edited by Teemu I

• 2 weeks later...

Have been pretty busy, here's the updates.

Thursday 15.11.2007

Had to give some rest to the left hand.

Shorter breaks, killer attitude.

1. Bottom 2 fingers

Imtug #7

5 x 1

2. Power sets

BB PRO (4,67)

6 x 1

CoC #4 (4,29)

3 x 1

3. RT 67,5 kg

I'm using the 2 set 12 reps scheme. Wanted to go all out this time. Ended up with 18 reps on the first set with competition qualifying lock-outs. Pretty good pump.

R: 18, 8

TEST a couple of minutes after those: 82,5 kg went all the way up even though it should not have happened. :blink Was pissed enough I guess.

RT is going good with the right hand.

4. Extended handle negs BBWC (5,13)

6 x 1

Best control I've achieved with this gripper so far, ever. It's promising.

Hardest grip workout I've done in a long time, attitude was just right. I'm glad I was doing this all alone.

Edited by Teemu I

Monday 19.11.2007

Still resting the lefty

1. Grippers

I decided to skip the mininegs on ext. handle RB 365. Took attempts on the Narrow BB Pro instead so that I will not loose touch on the MM-sets.

BB PRO N (3,86)

15 x 1 forced every single in 1-3 times

- best attempts were missed by 2 mm, not too bad

CoC #4, 25 mm choke - negs concentrating on the last little bit.

5 x 1, every single forced in x 3

2. Sledge work 5,5 kg

- going to failure on every set. Short breaks, 1-2 min.

R:1 x 13

R:1 x 6

R:1 x 5

-when I get up to 15 reps, I'll change the position of the hand.

3. Shot rotations palms down

Edited by Teemu I

Fantastic strength teemu, world class strength on the grippers mate!!!

Keep it up, thats inspired me to get the #3.5 shut

Another vid.

Very well done :rock You should have a short term goal of getting 10 reps on the #3.5!

Thanks again guys!

Gripping is fun, no problem to stay motivated. :) Only thing bothering me is my left hand. I have to let it rest.

You have some of the most impressive crushing strength that I have seen on here. I have no doubt that you will cert on the #4 in the future. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys! Still a long way to closing #4.

I mixed up my training this week. I did 2hp yesterday, just a lot of volume with thick gloves on. Left hand wasn't feeling too bad. Today, I felt good and went for 1 RM on the blobette. Tested my right hand only though, had to rest lefty, did not feel too good during warmup. Got up to several full deadlifts with 46 lbs. Pretty satisfied with that.