Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

2. Blobette 54,8 paunaa

:)

That should have been pounds instead of the Finnish "paunaa". :)

My right thumb was torn and taped and I felt weak so the control was not quite what I hoped. I will continue doing negs with that however.

Paunoja paunojen tilalta... I just thought it was funny! I'd also like to feel weak and lift as well as you did :)

Yeah I understood :) Dude, where are you from? Do you actually understand Finnish language? :)

I admit I'm Finnish. Been living in Switzerland for a while, though. If you ever visit Zurich, let me know :)

Cool to hear that! If I ever get a chance, I'll let you know. :)

Yesterday grip training:

9.12.2007 ROLLING THUNDER

Lefty:

1 x 5 x 50 kg

1 x 1 x 65 kg

1 x 1 x 70 kg

1 x 1 x 75 kg

2 x 1 x 80 kg all the way up, good.

1 x 1 x 85 kg take off, it's a PR :)

Surprisingly good singles considering that I've had to rest my lefty

1 x 8 x 65 kg

1 x 5 x 60 kg

Righty:

1 x 1 x 90 kg full lift

1 x 1 x 95 kg take off :)

2 x 1 x 92,5 kg take off

Blobette work seems to have carried over well to RT.

Weights don't include the pin and handle.

Good workout.

Edited by Teemu I

I'm going to see your blog, it's pretty good, you are very strong on gripper!!!!!
Thanks Pedro, this has been a pretty good year for me. :) There are a few goals I'd like to accomplish before the year ends though. Edited by Teemu I

I'm going to see your blog, it's pretty good, you are very strong on gripper!!!!!

I think the words should be rewritten as grip. Teemu can do about anything in grip. Lift 50LB BLOB, 95KG RT, Big grippers close. He is only missing bending!

Took 5 cm (or 2") of air under Blobette filled up to 52 lbs today. :) After that, I tore the thumb again.

Edited by Teemu I

I am not Teemu but if I was you I will go with the #5.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, get the number #5 and also #6.

I was doing grippers the other day and managed to close my narrow BB Pro for the first time. Today, I took a couple of videos. This gripper calibrated at 200,9 lbs or 91 kg. It means it is 3.86 on the CoC-scale, but bare in mind this is a narrow gripper with 2 and 1/4" spread so it is easier to set than the regular ones. It just gets pretty hard towards the end. My progress is slow these days and this kind of PR's don't come easy, so I'm pretty happy about this.

Take 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5TAIh_91FQ

Take 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxj2bEymeM

Congrats Teemu! thats a sick close! :rock

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron! This shook the monkey off my back. :cool I was stuck on the last little bit for a couple of months. Now I aim to close this gripper with wider sets. Also I need to start doing serious attempts on my BBSE ( 3,80 ). I still have hard time setting it. I guess I have to man up a bit. :blush Edited by Teemu I

Awesome close! Narrow WC up next :rock

Thanks! I don't have any idea how hard narrow BBWC would be. :blink These narrow Pro's vary from about 3,70 to slightly over 4,00, at least the ones measured here in Finland. BBWC would be insanely hard even with 2 and 1/4" spread.

Great job Teemu! That is one huge spring on that gripper!

Thanks Mitch! Yeah, it looks kind of silly as the spread is so narrow and the spring is so huge. :)

Teemu your a very very strong dude. You have been my farvorit on Youtube for a long time now!!!. I wish it was my hands that was so strong. I'am on my way to coc #2.5 (missing 4-5mm) after 3 month of hard gripper training, and hope to be the first in Denmark to get the #3 at the end of this year!!!!.

Teemu your a very very strong dude. You have been my farvorit on Youtube for a long time now!!!. I wish it was my hands that was so strong. I'am on my way to coc #2.5 (missing 4-5mm) after 3 month of hard gripper training, and hope to be the first in Denmark to get the #3 at the end of this year!!!!.
Thank you for the nice words! :blush You just keep in mind that what I'm doing is nothing that you can't achieve if you work at it. You have to work hard and keep at it, it is the only way to find out how much stronger grip you can develop. Best of luck with your goals. Keep on grip training a decent 3-5 years and who knows what you can do! Edited by Teemu I

Very strong close :rock

Congrats Teemu! thats a sick close! :rock

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron! This shook the monkey off my back. :cool I was stuck on the last little bit for a couple of months. Now I aim to close this gripper with wider sets. Also I need to start doing serious attempts on my BBSE ( 3,80 ). I still have hard time setting it. I guess I have to man up a bit. :blush

Great PR Teemu! Your crushing strength is world-class and your video skills are great; you can see the gripper ends very well-not as easy as you make it look, I've tried.

Teemu, Aaron, or__________? What particular aspects of other-hand/body strength need to be built up in order to set grippers well (other than the obvious:practicing the set)?

The easy #3 in a choker during LH Gripmas warmups felt closer to a #1 with the first-contest adrenaline rush and fear-of-failure buzz going, but when I try to set a gripper myself I feel like I'm trying to do some kind of magic trick in a fumbling way, by the time I'm anywhere near ready to squeeze it my concentration is gone.

Eaton says I have the strength to close a #3 once I learn the set, but I'm overwhelmed with ennui when messing with it, wish they were built with the handles in the "correct" MM or CC position so I didn't have to learn prestidigitation to do what should be a simple feat of strength. I'll likely have to meet up with Scott or Anson to learn it.

The day that all grippers are set in chokers for contests or are built at a CC-width distance apart cannot come soon enough for me. Regular grippers seem as archaic and as well thought out as the one inch v-bar. The one in your new videos looks more reasonable than most.

Thanks Bob!

Well, lately I've worked on just setting harder grippers, as recommended by Patrick, he calls them power sets. I've used a gripper I can just barely get to parallel when I try my hardest with both hands, that has been a regular BB Pro or harder #4 for me lately. These have been helpful.

I also believe that it is necessary to work things such as thickbar or RT and pinch and strengthen your wrists as well as the rest of your body to be able to handle harder grippers better. Setting those hard grippers requires all-around strength , I'm not joking about that. I've been slacking off too much last year on the overall strength training. But I've recently gotten back into it. I can honestly say that my set has improved as I've become stronger on the chin-ups and curls and various pressing movements. In my mind nothing beats the deadlift though for overall strength gains that boost your grip as well.

Also the set and close just needs to be practiced a LOT. Gripper close with a set is a decieving thing. It is seemingly simple. But I've spent hours of time trying to get my technique right. Sometimes it feels very good and sometimes it just isn't there. I think that the more I've trained grippers, the more I know how the gripper should be positioned and the more I am aware how it all feels when I get it just right. Believe it or not I honestly feel there's constantly something that you can do a bit better. There really are quite a few seemingly little things that mean a lot to the outcome. A good gripper close technique isn't something that can be developed overnight. You have to be able to combine a bunch of different technical elements to a small movement that happens pretty fast and I think it is not that simple as it might seem. Also if you develop bad habits it is hard to learn them away and replace them with new patterns. I've seen plenty of gripper videos and there are alot of guys who could do better by fixing seemingly little things in their technique. I take a lot of videos of my own gripper closes and watch them and analyze how I'm doing. I can tell by looking at the video if my wrist flexors are too tight for a proper gripper close from neglecting the stretches, for example. Or note if I'm not flexing my thumb hard enough. There's plenty of things you have to keep in mind when you are aiming for that optimal gripper close and going for a PR.

Edited by Teemu I

Teemu, those closes were super strong! Congrats! All the hard work be paid:)
Thanks Matti, progress is slow these days but it seems to come when you just keep on pounding away.

Thanks Teemu! I'm convinced now that live coaching is the key. If you learn the MM set incorrectly, you'll develop bad habits that are hard to break. Kind of like practicing w/o coaching when you are doing something wrong, you are only reinforcing incorrect motor patterns and habits.