Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

Thanks guys for the positive words. I personally feel like I'm on a never-ending journey. The more you get into this grip stuff, the more things you find you need to work on. Every time I reach a goal I feel there's so much more I should do. Also this is a continuous learning process, much of that learning comes through pure experimenting.

Teemu, I admire you for your ability to find innovative ways to progress and your remarkable grip strength, but most of all for your willingness to share and help other brothers in grip. Thanks for all that you do.

Edited by odin

Thanks guys for the positive words. I personally feel like I'm on a never-ending journey. The more you get into this grip stuff, the more things you find you need to work on. Every time I reach a goal I feel there's so much more I should do. Also this is a continuous learning process, much of that learning comes through pure experimenting.

Teemu, I admire you for your great progress and grip strength, but most of all for your willingness to share and help other brothers in grip. Thanks for all that you do.

Bob, I take that as a great compliment coming from an intelligent individual, strong gripster and nice, helpful person such as you. I have to say the same to you. The efforts that you put into your training, training log and great videos have been motivating me to focus better on the overall hand strength.

I have admired your approach of patiently building up a great foundation for grip, instead of rushing into grippers. I hate to admit it but that is something I lack. I'm a gripper guy mostly. :blush I have (fortunately) worked just enough on everything else as well to keep my hands in one piece. I aim to close some big grippers, but I want to keep my hands healthy in the process.

Thanks again for the nice words!

Monday 25.2.2008

Workout 1, grippers

Right:

1. BBSE 22mm choke 4 x 1 missed each attempt, but forced them all closed x3

2. #3.5 (easy) 1 x 5 CCS-reps, 3 closes, last 2 missed

3. Filed BBGM 2 x 5 CCS-reps

Left:

1. #3.5 (easy) 4 x 1 MM-set, all closed, but felt weaker than last time

2. Cert #3 (3 ,08 ) 1 x 5 CCS-reps, first one closed, rest of the reps missed = weak

3. Filed BBGM 1 x 5 CCS-reps

4. Filed BBSM 1 x 5 CCS-reps

I don't know if it was the incomplete recovery or what, but everything just felt weaker than last time I did similar workout even though my hands felt fine to begin with. Oh well, I just have to try to live with the fact that when you are focusing on everything else as well, gripper strength just can't be at it's peak. So it has been for me and I don't know if it will change. But fortunately I know that the crush can be brought back to life with a short specialization period.

Edited by Teemu I

Forgot to add that I did some flexband wrist extensions on top of the gripper work.

How does your BBGM rate against CoC and HG?
I'd say that BBGM is about 2.7. It hasn't been calibrated though. I got only my grippers from #3 and above calibrated.

Wednesday 27.2.2008

Workout 2:

1. MM-set attempts on the CoC #4 x 3.

Still not THE day but setting felt better than ever. The final crushdown force isn't there now that I'm on all-around phase.

2. Narrow BB Pro (4.03 rating) MM-set attempt x 1.

All strength spent on the #4 attempts, this was totally worthless attempt.

3. Narrow BB Pro (3.86 rating) TNS-attempt reps, 2 x 5 both hands.

Was in a rage so I forced each one closed and fought as hard as I could and went to a place where the feel isn't present. Damn these feel so good at times, to let all out on something like this.

4. RT, 1 x 12 x 55 kg both hands, pinch-style.

Damn hard with relatively light weights when you are not using the wrist at all.

5. Blobette 37 lbs

Fingerpair lifts/bounces, 6 x each finger pair.

6. One hand pinch test on the bathroomscale, width 35 mm.

Right 38 kg, left only 29 kg (best with left 31 kg). I'm doing this for fun and it's nice to follow if there's some improvement over the course of following couple of months. 50 kilos with right and over 40 kilos with left would be nice.

7. Dynamic pinch, pony clamp.

Top two fingers, 5 x 1 x 3 sec OC.

Comments: Damn that #4 haunts me in my dreams. Othervise pretty OK workout, had a good drive on all the way. Hands feel pretty good these days, no disturbing aches of any kind. On the RT one set feels sufficient, just a gut feeling really though at this stage. I used to do 2 sets like these but I will see if it is a good enough stimulus to do just one work set.

Edited by Teemu I

Wednesday 27.2.2008

Workout 2:

1. MM-set attempts on the CoC #4 x 3.

Still not THE day but setting felt better than ever. The final crushdown force isn't there now that I'm on all-around phase.

2. Narrow BB Pro (4.03 rating) MM-set attempt x 1.

All strength spent on the #4 attempts, this was totally worthless attempt.

3. Narrow BB Pro (3.86 rating) TNS-attempt reps, 2 x 5 both hands.

Was in a rage so I forced each one closed and fought as hard as I could and went to a place where the feel isn't present. Damn these feel so good at times, to let all out on something like this.

4. RT, 1 x 12 x 55 kg both hands, pinch-style.

Damn hard with relatively light weights when you are not using the wrist at all.

5. Blobette 37 lbs

Fingerpair lifts/bounces, 6 x each finger pair.

6. One hand pinch test on the bathroomscale, width 35 mm.

Right 38 kg, left only 29 kg (best with left 31 kg). I'm doing this for fun and it's nice to follow if there's some improvement over the course of following couple of months. 50 kilos with right and over 40 kilos with left would be nice.

7. Dynamic pinch, pony clamp.

Top two fingers, 5 x 1 x 3 sec OC.

Comments: Damn that #4 haunts me in my dreams. Othervise pretty OK workout, had a good drive on all the way. Hands feel pretty good these days, no disturbing aches of any kind. On the RT one set feels sufficient, just a gut feeling really though at this stage. I used to do 2 sets like these but I will see if it is a good enough stimulus to do just one work set.

Keep up the hard work! :rock The #4 will be all that much sweeter when you finally close it. The more I train for the #4, the more I find that it is less about brute strength and more about technique (handle placement and set with 2nd hand). I'm still stuck at 1/4 inch on my #4 and about 1/8 inch on an easy #4. Chokers don't help me at all - it's like squeezing a rock. I get farther on the crush, if I just start with a normal parallel set. :)

Thanks Mat! I sure will keep on working on it, no matter what. Would be foolish to even think about giving up on that goal at this point. Besides it really haunts my dreams so it's getting a bit annoying as well, so I better get that done! :) I think along those lines about the technique as well.

Edited by Teemu I

Teemu: finally i fell u set your mind about to become the next man to close #4 under ironmind rules!

we all know u have the genetical and inner power to do it , its a great task and only a few man can do it!

what about using a bigger gripper than #4 to do powersets? if u get used to set a bigger one maybe next time setting #4 wont be aproblem for u.

Your english its awesome(i read a post about this), its obvious u can write a book(after your ccs to #4) am i right?

At this point I'm just aiming to close a #4 with parallel set. I am using regular BB Pro for power sets when I do them and they do seem to help some, but are extremely taxing.

"no pain no gain"

When u become certificated with #4 u can write a book about states of mind, proper training etc ...

inside a powerfull close its always an incredible and positive mind:-)

Teemu i'd love to see you close the #4 - i also think you can do it. Keep at it and never give up mate.

Thanks guys! :)

Tuesday 4.3.2008

I had a great chance to test 13 different, brand new BB-grippers. No idea of the ratings for these, but I will know later as they will be calibrated. None of these grippers are mine, just had a chance to try them.

Right hand:

1. MM4 replica, missed 1 mm!

2. MM4 replica, missed 0,5 mm!

3. MM4 replica, closed!!! What a huge relief! :)

4. BB Elite CCS, two attempts, both missed by 1-2 mm

5. MM2 replica TNS-attempt, missed 1,5 mm

Had several goes on other grippers such as regular SE and #4 as well to mention few.

Left hand:

1. Narrow Elite x 1

2. First narrow GE x 1

3. Second narrow GE x 1

4. MM2 replica x 1

5. First GM x 1

6. Second GM x 1

7. BB Elite, missed by 2 mm.

I didn't have a chance to take any videos this time, but every close listed was witnessed by boardmember Koura, another finnish gripster. What a great set of grippers, thanks to Koura for bringing them to my place for a fun gripper session and thanks to other gripper owners for giving me a chance to try them.

Edited by Teemu I

great work on the mm4, congrats
Thanks! It was not a joke, I can tell you that..very glad that I managed to close it. :)

Teemu:

once i told u: in my heart u are a real mash monster level 4 , i dont know if u remember it... actually i was right:-)

Great job on the MM4. When do you plan on certifying for MM3? Also, where do you send your grippers for calibration? Do you know of anyone calibrating grippers in USA? Thanks and keep up amazing work!

Great job on the MM4. When do you plan on certifying for MM3? Also, where do you send your grippers for calibration? Do you know of anyone calibrating grippers in USA? Thanks and keep up amazing work!

I can answer on these. He is signed for MM3 so he is just waiting when gripper comes. We have great calibrator guy here in Finland, He is Matti Heiskanen, better known as Kilkkinen in here board.

THAT IS SOME GRIPPER SESSION!!!!!

very well done, you'll kill the MM4 for sure....and almost CCS'ing the BBE is just insane strong!

Thanks guys! Without the preceding attempts on hard grippers such as MM4 replica, BBSE, #4 and Narrow BB Pro, CCS of the Elite would have been well within my ability. It was an OK gripper session, my crush has been better regarding the last little bit, but setting strength is better at the moment.

Great Job taking down the MM4 replica, that should give you every confidence to push on up the mash monster ladder.

"...that should give you every confidence to push on up the mash monster ladder"

i think Teemu´s plans are higher than climbimg to the top of mash monster list ...the real competition i believe its fighting to beat his previous best:-)

You're definitely one of the best when it comes to grippers Teemu. There are very people that are as good as you at doing TNS, CCS, and MMS closes.

Saturday 8.3.2008

1. 60 mm bar chin-ups, + thick gloves: 3,2,2,1

2. 2x15 kg OH plate pinches, few singles

3. Miscallaneous stuff with rope

+ some gripper singles throughout the day

Edited by Teemu I