Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

Thanks Teemu! I'm convinced now that live coaching is the key. If you learn the MM set incorrectly, you'll develop bad habits that are hard to break. Kind of like practicing w/o coaching when you are doing something wrong, you are only reinforcing incorrect motor patterns and habits.
No problem Bob. Yeah, it is a good idea to get somebody to coach you if you feel a need for it.

Teemu.....how "fare" do you think you are from the coc #4???

I'm still not strong enough to set it quite the way I like, so attempts are still crappy at best. It needs plenty of hard work.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I found your log. Ive been commenting on your work on youtube. Like stated above the 3.5x12 is just unreal. Ill be reading your log.. thanks

Hi Teemu , first time here!

good to take a look at your training!

u are an inspiration for me, and God nows u have the potencial to become a legend when it comes to closing grippers!besides this there's nobody with your bodyweight as strong as u pound per pound in the World .. there's any certification for this??:-)

Thanks guys for the nice words! :) I have been training hard, just haven't kept my log here up to date. I will try to close my BBSE, it should happen any day now.

Hi :) Have you noticed an increase in strength on grippers after doing the blobette for couple months?
Blobette work pays off on the thumb strength and sweep, so it certainly helps. Hard grippers stay on the optimal position better (thumb side handle doesn't slide too much towards the thumb) and the setting power is also better. Edited by Teemu I

I got a chance to borrow a harder BB Pro Narrow from kilkkinen. It calibrated as follows: 95,5 kg / 210,8 lbs / rating = 4.03. I took a few attempts today, the gripper beat me today, here's one of the attempts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zd5dUM-HSc

I aim to close this gripper next, within 2 weeks I hope.

Great attempt! Wow! Two weeks to overcome that gap? That would be amazing progress.
Thanks! Well, of course I might be wrong, but I think I can overcome that gap within that time because this wasn't a best possible day for me, I know because I tested my strength level of the day by giving a squeeze to a #4 on a choker. I was not able to close it as I was a week or two ago. Last week I concentrated on setting harder grippers than I can close to bring up my setting power, and did not concentrate on the last little bit of the gripper close, so I think I'm just a bit off the peak regarding the last few millimeters. So I think my failure today had more to do with that. :)

Thanks to other guys as well for the encouragement!

Edited by Teemu I

• 3 weeks later...

I have still been training, but haven't posted my workouts here for a while. I'm currently on a program where I'm working more towards overall hand strength and I focus on bringing up my weaknesses while atleast trying to maintain my gripper strength. I have four different kind of workouts for the grip that I do and here's how it looked like last week, this was the beginning of the more organized program after just doing whatever I feel like doing for the couple of months.

Workout 1: Thursday 14.2.2008

Grippers

Right:

1. BBSE 22mm choke 5 x 1 All closed

2. #3.5 (easy) 1 x 5 CCS-reps

3. Filed BBGM 2 x 5 CCS-reps

Left:

1. #3.5 (easy) 5 x 1 MM-set, all closed

2. Cert#3 (3,08 ) 1 x 5 CCS-reps, attempts really, first one was closed

3. Filed BBGM 1 x 5 CCS-reps

4. Filed BBSM 1 x 5 CCS-reps

I need more strength on these wide sets, so they are a part of my training now.

Workout 2: Saturday 16.2.2008

1. Narrow BB Pro (3,86) TNS-repping attempts, 2 x 5 both hands

2. RT: 1 x 12 x 50 kg both hands, pinch-style

3. Blobette 36 lbs, fingerpair lifts/bounces, 6 x each finger pair

-Felt like I was really working my hands on these, will keep at it.

Workout 3: Monday 18.2.2008

1. Grippers: Isometric squeezes held for 8 seconds, distance 25 mm x 5 and -5mm x 3. I was 8 singles done in quick fashion, no breaks

2. Plate pinch experiments with my ultraslick, crappy chinece 15 kg (33lbs) plates. Chalk doesn't help with those, on the contrary. Here's a video of me lifting those "high quality" plates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4KMdeCRDE

-will start adding extra weights to this plate pinching

Workout 4: Wednesday 20.2.2008

Workout no. 4 of the cycle will be RT max day. I will start working up from 70 kilos on each occasion, going up to what I can.

Went up to 95 kilos + pin & handle, got just a bit of air under it but it was still clearly too heavy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2iC7ChOFI

90 kg, that was a better lift, but couldn't get a decent hold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmChdrLFf_M

Plates from the bottom up are 2 x 25 kg, 1 x 20 kg, 1x15 kg, 1 x 5 kg (on the 95kg attempt there's another 5 kg plate on top).

Went up to 90 kilos with left hand, got just a bit of air under it and it killed my grip. Best full range lift with the left hand was 82,5 kg + pin & handle. 80 kilos felt so easy that I decided to jump directly to 90 kilos and did that 82,5 kg lisft after my grip was already fried.

Comments:

So this is how my (grip) training will look like for a next couple of months. Or that is my good intention..I tend to get sidetracked at times. :) I plan to add some additional exercises on each workout, starting from next week.

Edited by Teemu I

The new workout routine looks very good. Those singles that you do with grippers, is that 1 set of 5 CCS reps? Do you do 1 CCS rep, then let the gripper open up to CC length and then close it again 4 more times? Would it be better to do 1 CCS rep and then rest a minute or two and do another CCS rep? I want to start doing reps on grippers; because I've been doing OCs and NGs for more than 6 months and I want to try something new. Thanks.

I"ve been thinking about buying the RT, but I don't know what exactly it trains. Pinch? Crushing? Wrist? Any idea? Thanks again.

Edited by Eurodancer

The new workout routine looks very good. Those singles that you do with grippers, is that 1 set of 5 CCS reps? Do you do 1 CCS rep, then let the gripper open up to CC length and then close it again 4 more times? Would it be better to do 1 CCS rep and then rest a minute or two and do another CCS rep? I want to start doing reps on grippers; because I've been doing OCs and NGs for more than 6 months and I want to try something new. Thanks.

I"ve been thinking about buying the RT, but I don't know what exactly it trains. Pinch? Crushing? Wrist? Any idea? Thanks again.

It is a 1 set of 5 continuous reps. I'm doing them so to add variety and purposefully don't have the gripper in optimal position for each rep. But generally I would do singles and re-set the gripper each time.

RT trains open hand strength and it is a supporting grip exercise, that taxes all fingers and thumb. It is good for building up the foundation for every other aspect of grip.

just curious to know ... u can do a parallel close with a choke on your #4 ...

why cant u do a mash monster set with it(without a choke)?

u once said u need to improve overall strenght , to improve the "sweep" etc ... why dont u include squats in your training to improve your grip strenght? i think its works:-) this is really strange .. me a begginer giving advice to one of the most talent guys there is.

Edited by ewokhugo

just curious to know ... u can do a parallel close with a choke on your #4 ...

why cant u do a mash monster set with it(without a choke)?

u once said u need to improve overall strenght , to improve the "sweep" etc ... why dont u include squats in your training to improve your grip strenght? i think its works:-) this is really strange .. me a begginer giving advice to one of the most talent guys there is.

That's because I have had trouble setting it optimally in my hand. That requires more strength on the setting hand as well as more open hand strength on the closing hand. I don't have weakness where most guys have it on the grippers, which is the last little bit of the close, I've trained it specifically so much that it is my strong point. But I'm still lacking strength on the full range of movement. I'm slightly improving, however. I was referring to building up overall hand strength, that's what I need to do. Train my weaknesses up to the standards of my strengths.

I do train the total body, I just don't log that stuff here. :)

Great work Teemu, steady progress :rock

Great work Teemu, steady progress :rock
Thanks John, I'm working on it. I hope your training is going well!

congrats Teemu for all your effort u put intoyour grip training , u listen your body and have some kind of cientifical approch to training:-)

Thanks guys for the positive words. I personally feel like I'm on a never-ending journey. The more you get into this grip stuff, the more things you find you need to work on. Every time I reach a goal I feel there's so much more I should do. Also this is a continuous learning process, much of that learning comes through pure experimenting.

Edited by Teemu I