Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

I'm working static pinch and TTK once a week each.

Teemu: hoe wide is the Blobette? I'm curious because I've been using a 3" setup for static pinch. Maybe I should widen it up a bit? With another plate it'd be maybe 3.75". I have a session tomorrow, will experiment and see.

The Blobette is about 4" wide, and it slopes out. Maybe you could widen your pinch setup a bit.

Teemu, very nice log bro. Your grippers are very strong.

I like using the BB Pro aswell for extended handle negs. It is a quality gripper.

I would suggest a lot of thickbar work for helping your sweep. Soemthing else which has helped my sweep is doing a TNS close with the #4 to half way to closed. Maybe you could try this?

Thanks Sam for the encouragement. I've read your log and you are doing great!

You are absolutely right about that thickbar work. It's an essential part of grip training for overall hand strength.Right now I'm looking for a cheap way to get/make one, as I've spent so much on the training equipment this year. I will also get myself a real RT-handle along with a decent loading pin in the near future. My homemade alternatives for those are crappy as hell.. :)

Edited by Teemu I

23.11.2006: Blobette, wrists

I felt quite recovered after taking one day off and today was time to get back in serious business.

Blobette work, weight 15,5 kg

Left hand: I did 20 assisted reps with minimal amount of index finger assistance. Aimed for 3 second holds for each rep- with success. Good thing that left hand starts to co-operate. Slowly but it's better than staying still.

Right hand: 20 HIGH PULLS + 2 sec holds instead of previous deadlifts+holds. I mentioned earlier, how it would be nice to be able to CLEAN this weight at some point. I did clean it, 3 times actually! Felt great!

Analysis: Platemates would come handy at this point, seeing that I'm able to make progress at faster rate with my right hand. I'll have to invest on those in the near future or rig up something similar.

Wrist curls

Went back in weight and did all the reps more explosively.

5x2x70kg

I alternated wrist curls with sledgehammer work this time and left the wrist extension out.

Levering two 5 kg sledgehammers from the ground to shoulder and back to the ground

5 progressively heavier singles. Saw some progress with these..minimal but still.

(I'm measuring my progress with these marking the spot where I end up each time with rubber bands)

Relatively good workout, considering how sore my forearms were yesterday. Actually blobette work felt great. I'll go up in weight on Sunday if I can.

I like using the BB Pro aswell for extended handle negs. It is a quality gripper.

I would suggest a lot of thickbar work for helping your sweep. Soemthing else which has helped my sweep is doing a TNS close with the #4 to half way to closed. Maybe you could try this?

You are absolutely right about that thickbar work. It's an essential part of grip training for overall hand strength.Right now I'm looking for a cheap way to get/make one, as I've spent so much on the training equipment this year. I will also get myself a real RT-handle along with a decent loading pin in the near future. My homemade alternatives for those are crappy as hell.. :)

Someone needs a make-shifter!

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=5072

Someone needs a make-shifter!

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=5072

Well, I have rigged up an RT-alternative from PVC-pipes and chain. It doesn't "lure" me into RT-training, because adding weight and decreasing it isn't too handy and it doesn't revolve as freely as the real one would. :rolleyes But I've been thinking about buying Robert Baraban's Rolling handle instead, as the whole thing is made of metal as far as I've understood.

Good stuff Teemu! I've heard those blobettes are slick as all get out, that's some nice weight

Thanks Wes! It can be slick but it depends a lot..many things contribute to that. :cool I wash my hands carefully before working on it and remove the caked up chalk off the implement every now and then.

Edited by Teemu I

24.11.2006: Active recovery, assistance exercises

This workout was really light, just got the blood flowing and hands feel better afterwards. I did dexterity ball rotations, extensor work and finger walking. Not much to write down.

Nice blob work.

You really should get an RT. For a thick barbell, some scaffolding tube works well, it is exactly 2'' thick. Excellent for double overhand deadlifts.

25.11.2006: Grippers

BBSE choked at parallel

- 5 attempts with both hands, every single forced in x 3

- not too bad with right hand this time, missed most attempts by 2-3 mm

BBE choked at parallel

- 5 x 3 sec OC's with right hand

- 5 attempts with left hand, missed most attempts by 3-5 mm, which was pretty good

NC's alternated with BTR OC's

NC IGDA at 365,9 lbs, spring positions 4,9,12, held for 3 count

OC BTR BBSM, held for 5 count

NC IGDA at 365,9 lbs, held for 3 count

Total amount 18 singles, didn't feel too bad.

Very nice gripper work dude.

Thanks dude!

I accidentally marked 18 singles total, it should be 20. :cool

26.11.2006: Blobette work, weight 16,0 kg (about 35 lbs)

I went up on weight, added 500 grams of lead shot. I try to work up to 20 full deadlift singles with 3 sec holds, I do 4 sets of 5 singles. Rest period between singles on a set is 1 minute, 3-5 minutes between sets.

Left hand: On the first two sets, I even got some air, unassisted, on a couple of attempts. Rest of the singles were assisted reps with minimal amount of index finger assistance. Feeling even better than last time.

Right hand: 20 succesful deadlifts+ 3 sec holds. I tried to add speed to the singles on the last two sets. Thumbs tend to slide a bit from the optimal position on the "speed work".

Some thoughts: More frequent grip training seems to work pretty good so far, no problems at all. Blobette work is going better and better. Gripper strength seems to be bit off now, but I'm confident it will come back and more within next month or two. I firmly believe doing this much more Blobette work will pay off.

I decided to split my grip workouts more. So I didn't do the wrist work today. I'll start doing it on separate days, to attack wrist curling and levering as fresh as possible.

Edited by Teemu I

27.11.2006: Homemade RT

My hands weren't up to hard work today, but I trained anyway because that is the plan!

65 kg: 10 singles for 3 sec holds. Felt really hard, even though this is only about 75% of my PR. That tells something about the effects of Blobette work: expect your hands to be sore and weak the day after.

55 kg: Reps to the exhaust, alternating. Got 13 reps with both hands. Few minutes of rest, then repeated the process, got to 10 reps.

I know, I'm handling pathetic weights on this.. :blush But it IS going to change!

Not bad at all.

Thanks Sam, but you KNOW those are pathetic weights. :D My overall grip strength sucks, thumb strength especially. I need to get that thickbar and start working on that in addition to the Blobette work.

28.11.2006: Negatives on the IGDA

My forearms were really sore today, but it's time to press on. This was my first negatives only- workout on the IGDA. It sure feels like a good tool for the purpose.

Spring positions 4,9,12, tension 365,9 lbs, handles choked to close range

20 negatives, trying to fight the opening for 3 count.

I can't hold this closed for a second, but can hold it at 5 mm from closed. I guess I'll be doing pretty good if I'm ever able to hold that amount of resistance completely closed. Feels pretty much the same resistance as #4 provides.

That's it for today, it does feel awful and it should be enough to get the alarm bells ringing.

Great work! I know you will close the #4 one day if injuries didn't attack you.

Great work! I know you will close the #4 one day if injuries didn't attack you.

Thanks man for the encouragement! :blush But I have a long way to that level, I'm nowhere near that. But thanks!

29.11.2006: Blobette work, weight 16,0 kg (about 35 lbs)

I had my doubts when I started, did not feel ready for wide pinching or any other grip training for that matter. But I can't give up now, I have a plan and I will follow it. It is to subject my forearms to severe overload and then, when I feel it's time to back off, I will rest and come back stronger. It will be rewarded as an improved work capacity and overall hand strength.

The weight felt really heavy as I started, I struggled even with my right hand to get some air under the Blobette. But I decided to clean the Blobette from the excess chalk, washed my hands again and got back to work. It made a difference, I started to warm up and it went smoother from there..

I did 30 attempts alltogether with both hands, called it a day then as the 30th single was the one that I couldn't budge one bit with my stronger hand. I didn't time the holds or rest periods, just went on at quick pace until I felt my forearms were done.

Left hand: I got some air, unassisted, on a couple of attempts. On the best one, I got it to knee height, which is by far the best Blobette deadlift with my weaker hand. Rest of the singles were assisted reps with minimal amount of index finger assistance.

Right hand: 27 succesful deadlifts+ 2 slow and awkward cleans! Or maybe I should call them a weird cross between a cheat reverse curl and the clean. :)

Some thoughts: Weird how this just seems to go forward even if my forearms are trashed to begin with. Blobette work is going better, from one workout to the next.

Wrist work is in turn tomorrow. I will most likely rest on Friday and then do grippers on Saturday or Sunday.

30.11.2006: Homemade RT, Barbell Wrist Curls

Homemade RT

I couldn't resist myself doing this, as once again I felt pretty good at the beginning of the workout regardless of the yesterday's Blobette work. So I did a few singles on this, even though my plan would be to train wrists on a separate day. Well, variety doesn't hurt.

65 kg

70 kg

75 kg

80 kg

82,5 kg Failed with left, got it with right. Would be my PR on a real RT-handle. Maybe I have to buy it and give it to myself as a Christmas present. Along with the loading pin. :)

Barbell wrist curls

3x3x70 kg

Seriously, I need to go back to doing longer sets with lighter weight on these to build some base. I was doing pretty good on these earlier, but now..the strength isn't there. I know it's obvious on a routine like this but still it feels a bit frustrating to go through the workouts with lighter loads.

1x7x60 kg

1x5x60 kg this shall be the working weight from now on.

Crappy wrist curls. I simply didn't have it in me to do the sledgehammer levering. My arms are trembling already and I don't want to strain my wrists. Tomorrow I will rest.

Edited by Teemu I

Homemade RT

I couldn't resist myself doing this, as once again I felt pretty good at the beginning of the workout regardless of the yesterday's Blobette work. So I did a few singles on this, even though my plan would be to train wrists on a separate day. Well, variety doesn't hurt.

65 kg

70 kg

75 kg

80 kg

82,5 kg Failed with left, got it with right. Would be my PR on a real RT-handle. Maybe I have to buy it and give it to myself as a Christmas present. Along with the loading pin. :)

Barbell wrist curls

3x3x70 kg

Seriously, I need to go back to doing longer sets with lighter weight on these to build some base. I was doing pretty good on these earlier, but now..the strength isn't there. I know it's obvious on a routine like this but still it feels a bit frustrating to go through the workouts with lighter loads.

1x7x60 kg

1x5x60 kg this shall be the working weight from now on.

Crappy wrist curls. I simply didn't have it in me to do the sledgehammer levering. My arms are trembling already and I don't want to strain my wrists. Tomorrow I will rest.

Nice RT work! Wrist curls don't look too bad to me!

Homemade RT

.......Maybe I have to buy it and give it to myself as a Christmas present. Along with the loading pin. :)

Get the Rolling Thunder. You only go around once. ;)

Good luck!