L: Crappy, forced in

R: Missed by 1 mm, forced in x 3

L: Crappy, forced in x3

R: Missed by 2 mm, forced in x 3

L: Crappy

R: Missed by 1 mm, forced in x 3

L: Crappy

2. BBE choked at parallel

R: 3 x 3 reps ( 2/3 closed at the first set, 1/3 closed at the second and third set)

L: 3 x 3 reps (crappy beyond belief)

3. Reps with IGDA, choked

1. 256, R: 1 x 10, L: 1 x 9

2. 261, R: 1 x 8, L: 1 x 5

3. 267, R: 1 x 8, L: 1 x 5

4. Dynamic thumb, small pony clamp

3×5 both hands

Not too bad for the right hand, weaker than last time for the left hand.

When you work w/ the clamps do you try to position the gripper into the sweet spot or do you just grab it and attack it, I ask because Ive been experimenting w/ both.

I usually try to position it at the sweet spot to mimic the MMS technique as closely as possible.

Nice progress Teemu. After you shut your BBSE are you going to train with the #4 the same way that you have been training with the Elite and Super elite with the clamps?

Nice progress Teemu. After you shut your BBSE are you going to train with the #4 the same way that you have been training with the Elite and Super elite with the clamps?

Thanks Chris.

To answer your question: So far everything is going as planned and I believe I can get BBSE this way. I like this way of training as it constantly provides me pretty accurate info where I stand. I don't have to guesstimate whether I'm making progress or not using clamps like this. So assuming I'll get BBSE on this routine, I think I'll be able to start this process again with #4. Start from almost closed position and opening the gripper little by little. However, I want to evaluate first (after I've closed BBSE) whether there is a decent carryover to my no set- strength or not. I want that because I still want to do the IM certification on #3. I think I should expect to be good for at least couple of no set-reps on #3 if I can MMS close BBSE. If that isn't the case, I'll start doing severe negatives again to improve my sweep. I haven't done them for a while. We'll see how it all turns out.

Well as far as for me regarding training MMS and having carryover to TNS, that really wasnt the case. I was once able to close my #2 for over 20 reps MMS opening up to about parallel but still could not TNS it once. I then started including more TNS training and in 2 weeks i shut it. So after you close the BBSE, i think with 2 weeks of extra TNS work you will really reap the benefits of the extra MMS strength as well as great TNS power.

Well as far as for me regarding training MMS and having carryover to TNS, that really wasnt the case. I was once able to close my #2 for over 20 reps MMS opening up to about parallel but still could not TNS it once. I then started including more TNS training and in 2 weeks i shut it. So after you close the BBSE, i think with 2 weeks of extra TNS work you will really reap the benefits of the extra MMS strength as well as great TNS power.

I've been testing my TNS strength sometimes during this time I've done clamp work and MMS closes and I do think that it's necessary to practice TNS/CCS separately as well. I'm just curious to see, if being able to MMS close BBSE makes me any stronger handling my #3 TNS. It should make a significant difference, but I'll see if that's the case with me. Beeing able to MMS close Elite did not make me that much stronger on the CCS/TNS closures on #3.

I think I'll do something similar that you did in addition to severe negatives when I get to the BBSE close. Thanks for the much appreciated feedback.

I've been testing my TNS strength sometimes during this time I've done clamp work and MMS closes and I do think that it's necessary to practice TNS/CCS separately as well. I'm just curious to see, if being able to MMS close BBSE makes me any stronger handling my #3 TNS. It should make a significant difference, but I'll see if that's the case with me. Beeing able to MMS close Elite did not make me that much stronger on the CCS/TNS closures on #3.

I think I'll do something similar that you did in addition to severe negatives when I get to the BBSE close. Thanks for the much appreciated feedback.

You should throw in some inverted work pretty reguarly, I love it, and I atttribute being able to TNS my SM "even though that isnt much and I think its a easy one" to inverted work.

You should throw in some inverted work pretty reguarly, I love it, and I atttribute being able to TNS my SM "even though that isnt much and I think its a easy one" to inverted work.

I've done some inverted work in the past and I believe the only reason inverted work might help a bit is because you get an added range of motion for your index and middle finger. I get that effect on my current routine working on IGDA even though I use it traditionally. Othervise, I did some "research" on the subject how beneficial it actually is to work inverted closes with grippers. What I've read doesn't encourage to do more inverted work. In fact I believe now that it's not that beneficial at all for the best possible results. So right now, I don't plan to include any inverted work to my routine, not with regular grippers and not with IGDA. But thanks for bringing that up, cleared my thinking, really. :)

I believe what Chris said about doing a couple of weeks of TNS work will help to transfer that newly developed MMS strength to TNS work. After giving this a bit more thought, I gave each of my #3's a shot today, TNS, allthough I did do a hard gripper workout yesterday and wasn't recovered. It didn't actually feel bad at all.. I think my recent attempts to TNS my #3's have sucked mainly because of technique, which is a bit "lost" now that I haven't practiced it for a while. I think I have positioned the palm side handle way too far away from my thumbpad lately and that distrupts the whole thing..the thing is that when you don't have very long fingers, you have to sacrifice the thumbside's handle positioning somewhat while doing TNS work. Shouldn't have forgotten that strength is also a skill..:)

Edited by Teemu I

18.10.2006: Blobette

My grip workout today should have included Blobette, wrist curls and levering, but I decided to move the wrist work for tomorrow, as I had other things to do and managed to squeeze in only little time to train. No big deal.

Blobette lifts from the floor, to full deadlift.15,5 kg

Aiming at 3 sec holds each rep. 4 sets of 5 reps, alternating.

R: 1x5 OK

L: 1x5 OK

L: 3/5

Not bad at all, I know I'm getting somewhere as even my crappy left hand is starting to feel almost useful. I feel my thumbs are getting stronger now and getting stronger pretty quick. GOOOOD! :) I think I'll be blowing my old PR of 17,7kg within two months. Next time, I'll add another 250 grams of weight and aim for the same amount of sets, reps and holds. Let's see how it goes, this is one of those exercises where just a tiniest bit of weight makes a decievingly huge difference. I love this blobette work.

Edited by Teemu I

Change of plan: absolutely no grip training or any other training today, as I couldn't, for some weird reason, sleep at all last night. As a result my heart went to arrhythmic state. It feels better now, but I still don't feel like going for some PR's. Time to take couple of days of rest and relax properly and hit the training again.

22.10.2006: Grippers+IGDA+dynamic thumb

Jumped from 15 mm up to 20 mm on BBSE, I need to get serious with this if I'm ever going to close it.

1. BBSE choked at 20mm (parallel), five attempts

R:Missed by 5 mm, forced in x 3

L: Missed by a mile, forced in x 3

R: Missed by 3 mm, forced in x3 Not too bad

L: Crappy, forced in x 3

R: Missed by 5 mm, forced in x 3

L: Crappy, forced in x3

2. Forced reps on filed #3

10 singles each hand, every single forced in 3 times.

3. Reps with IGDA, choked

1. 267, R: 1 x 10, L: 1 x 6

2. 273, R: 1 x 8, L: 1 x 5

3. 281, R: 1 x 6, L: 1 x 5

4. Dynamic thumb, small pony clamp

3×5 both hands. First time I actually got it closed all the way with my right hand and not too far with my left.

Overall, not good, but not extremely crappy either. I'll stick to this routine as long as I make progress, even if it comes slowly.

Edited by Teemu I

Great workout Teemu.

One question: when you say "forced in 3 times", what does it mean? Can you describe that to me please?

Good workouts. At the level you've reached, even repeating weights from the last workout is a success. Keep it up!

Thanks Scott!

Great workout Teemu.

One question: when you say "forced in 3 times", what does it mean? Can you describe that to me please?

Thanks.

That simply means, that when I close the gripper and when it starts to open, I use my free hand to force the gripper closed again and resist it's opening as hard as I can with my working hand. I repeat that 3 times.

And how long do you wait between each assisted-close like that?

I don't time them, I force the gripper closed immediately as it starts to open. This way, I get a really heavy overload within relatively small time frame and at the critical part of the range of motion.

• 2 weeks later...
Hows the flu teemu?

I'm still not ok. I've had these weird symptoms, namely my heart goes to arrhythmic state every now and then. Constant fever etc, so no training. This sucks.

13.11.2006: Playing around & having fun!

Finally, I feel better. Heart problems I've experienced are gone and I have a doctor's approval to continue with any physical activities. That's great! It's been 21 days or 3 weeks since the last grip workout or any training whatsoever..so I was a little worried if my strength would be all gone..I started out just playing around and having fun with my grip equipment, doing pretty much everything from grippers to sledgework, blobette lifts from the floor and dynamic thumb. I'll get on the same routine I was on probably next week. This week, I will just have fun and do pretty much everything, little bit every day and whenever I feel so.

I also kind of tested myself on grippers. To my surprise, it wasn't too bad, in fact not bad at all. :). I got choked BBSE from parallel to 3 mm, so it was pretty much the same where I was 3 weeks ago. I also decided to try TNS on my newest #3, the one that was send to me by Mr. Strossen himself after my latest cert attempt. It's a nice gripper and I think the smooth knurling actually makes TNS and CCS closes easier. Here's the video of that TNS close. Not a bad start after the break that seemed so long.

13.11.2006: Playing around & having fun!

Finally, I feel better. Heart problems I've experienced are gone and I have a doctor's approval to continue with any physical activities. That's great! It's been 21 days or 3 weeks since the last grip workout or any training whatsoever..so I was a little worried if my strength would be all gone..I started out just playing around and having fun with my grip equipment, doing pretty much everything from grippers to sledgework, blobette lifts from the floor and dynamic thumb. I'll get on the same routine I was on probably next week. This week, I will just have fun and do pretty much everything, little bit every day and whenever I feel so.

I also kind of tested myself on grippers. To my surprise, it wasn't too bad, in fact not bad at all. :). I got choked BBSE from parallel to 3 mm, so it was pretty much the same where I was 3 weeks ago. I also decided to try TNS on my newest #3, the one that was send to me by Mr. Strossen himself after my latest cert attempt. It's a nice gripper and I think the smooth knurling actually makes TNS and CCS closes easier. Here's the video of that TNS close. Not a bad start after the break that seemed so long.

Good job after being away a while. The SE should be coming along quite soon :mosher

Start opening up that clamp and close that suckah! =)

I feel like there's not much point opening it up right now, maybe even go back a little so I could OC the handles together.