Boneless' Bodyweight Training

Ivarboneless

I might have to specialize in cup-stacking or darts or spelling contests or burping contests or loudest fart contests or something.... maybe you wont beat me at literally everything then! :tongue:rock

July 25, 2011

12 hour work day. Went out in the truck and moved two shipments.

Hand:

2X15 wrist curls 80lb

2X15 wrist curls armwrestling position 80lbs

Core:

3X3:00 hollow hold (1 min each side and 1 min center)

Benchpress:

1X5X155lb

1X3X205lb

1X5X155lb

6X4X225lb (last three sets had to do 3 + 1...damn it)

Tricep:

3X3X10sec one arm tricep press isometric

3X1:00 tricep press isometric 10 mini reps

Looks like you have one more week to be stronger than me Arturo! Repping 225 for 4 now. I think I will up the weight to 245lb next workout and do it for 6 sets of 2.

Arturo what was your max when you could do 225 for 5X5?

Funny you should ask, I never tested. It was actually 3x5. I nailed 225 5 days later I got 227.5 again for 3 sets of 5. At this point I felt I was getting too fat and I took some rest days and started eating cleaner again. Now I'm losing some of the pudge I gained during that period, and have not done Bench Press since!

I have instead started doing weighed push-ups with my hands on 1.5" blocks (for a bit of added ROM). I figure since I'm training with a buddy we could take advantage of this and load the plates on our backs (otherwise hard if done alone). The sad part is that my CORE is my weakest link doing these, believe it or not. I figure in this particular move you would lift much more than me as you're lighter, and probably stronger by now.

I don't mean to sound like I'm typing excuses, but I have weak shoulders Ivar, it seems everything is against me shoulder-wise. First I had to have AC-joint surgery on both shoulders, and this wasn't lifting-induced. Probably years of horrible posture that I spent hours at playing a certain computer game. (Haven't played computer games for years now, decided to just call it quits). And I have very loose ligaments naturally, doctors have noticed this even in different places like wrist, shoulder, even foot! Naturally very flexible for this reason, which means UNSTABLE when it comes to the shoulder. Since I used to play a lot of tennis and ping-ping (which both involve a lot of external rotation), my right shoulder is much more stable, but my left is not. I can subluxate either one at will, but the left one very easily. This instability sucks and can injure me if I don't take preventive measurements and train smart.

At the time of my 227.5 done for 3x5, for example, my standing press was a measly 135x4 !!! And I had to gain some weight to get there! Wtf? Really. Any darn kid is out pressing me, and out benching me for that matter, and out dipping me. I'm not saying I'm strong in other movements because I'm not, but I'm certainly a little above my pressing movements which are at a novice level. So I'm just trying to get stronger than myself nowdays, so I don't get depressed comparing myself to guys on Youtube :laugh

Edit to add this: at a BW of around 210# I got 5 super strict deadhang chin-ups with long pause at the bottom and hanging truly like "dead" with shoulders up and everything, with about 45 or 50#, not sure. A ton of that BW was fat though. It's not impressive by any means, but trust me when I say that I have the absolute WORST press-to-weighed-chin-up ratio I've ever read about on any forum where these stats were asked. This instability shows up in other ways too, when the stabilizers in that left shoulder get fatigued, they truly say bye-bye. So if I'm doing parallel bar dips in a timed workout, for example, very soon after beggining I will not be able to get more than 1 dip at a time. You heard that right, not more than 1 at the time. So yeah... I kindof suck at this pressing stuff. Lately I've been thinking I ought to take a rather drastic measure and do a movement in "grease the groove" style (several sub-mex efforts spread throughout the day) that helps the stabilizers of the shoulder. I bet if I get them up to par I'd get stronger easier.

Edited by Arturo

My shoulders are tight as hell. Shoulders are tricky. If you want to lift heavy I strongly suggest that you do this stuff I'm doing...it's doing serious work for me.

Tuesday:

Another 10 hour day at work moving furniture.

Hand:

2X10 plate wrist curls 25lb

2X10 plate wrist curls armwrestling position 25lb

Chinup:

1X1 one arm chin (N)

1X6 one arm chins (N)

1X3 one arm chins (N)

1X3 one arm chins (S)

1X2 one arm chins (S)

1X3 one arm pullups

1X2 one arm pullups

Bicep:

warmup sets

1X5 95lb hook lift

4X1 95lb hook lift

5x10sec hold 80lb hook lift

5X10sec hold 50lb backpressure lift towel over hand like usual

Leg:

Clean to double front squats with 155 and 185 not sure of sets

Core:

3X3:00 hollow hold (1 min each side and 1 min center)

Wednesday:

Hand:

3X10sec #1 holds armwrestling position

3X10sec #1 hold inverted armwrestling position

Benchpress:

1X5X 155lb

1X3X 205lb

1X5X 155lb

1X1X 225lb

1X1X 245lb

4X2X 245lb

2X2X 235lb

Tricep:

3X3X10sec one arm tricep press isometric

3X1:00 tricep press isometric 10 mini reps

With only 1 rest day between benchpress workouts I felt pretty terrible. After that 4th set I had to drop the weight or not make all my sets. Everything felt weak. I'm kind of amazed that I could even put 245 up for doubles at all. Next week I'll do 245 for six sets of 2 again and knock it out cold. Then I should hit six sets of 3 that same week. If I was rested I could have busted out this workout easy.

I'm pretty confident that 275 is going to fall before I go back to school ie I'll put it up in 3 weeks. That will be next week getting 245 for 3 then the following week for 4 then a week to put up 275 if I can.

If you want to count failing on 225 at Paul Knights house earlier this summer that would be about a 50lb increase in my bench in 6 or 7 weeks. I would call my max 225 when I started since my first actual workout I did 5 singles at 225.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to visit Josh Handeland and one of my buddies from college. Been out of town for the week. Didn't workout at all, hit an armwrestling tournament in Minnesota.

At the tournament:

0-160lb left: 1st place

0-160lb right: 1st place

superheavies left: 4th place

superheavies right: 3rd place

And there were a lot more than 3-4 people in those superheavies classes BTW. I think it was the largest class of the tournament.

My elbows were killing me. Not tendonitis....something different...it's that ligament or tendon or whatever than people pop when they F up hooking. I popped both of mine at different times...and for some reason they were PAINFUL at the tournament. Could have probably done 2nd or 3rd lefty superheavies if I had done my research on MN pullers, but I ended up wearing myself WAY OUT on my first match (which I won) and not having enough left for the rest of the tournament (even though I won ~3 more matches).

Josh Handeland almost took me out in the 160 left finals. He's the one that talked me into pulling superheavies...and I think it was deliberately to wear me out so he could beat me in the finals! The man is getting pretty good at armwrestling I think he'll crack the top 10 in his own rankings in 2012 for sure. Train hard...get results...and we all know that the man is dedicated.

That will probably be my last tournament of the year...which means that for the 1st time ever I'm going to go the whole year undefeated in my own weightclass :D

Monday:

Benchpress:

1X5X 155lb

1X3X 205lb

1X5X 155lb

2X1X 245lb

1X5X 205lb

1X4X 205lb

5X3X 185lb widegrip

1X6X 185lb widegrip

1X1 unrack and controlled negative with 305lb

Handstand:

5X1:00 handstand

Leg:

5X1X 135lb clean

5X1X 155lb clean

5X1X 185lb clean

1X1X 205lb clean

1X3X 275lb deadlift

1X10X 215lb deadlift (touch and go)

1X9X 295lb deadlift (touch and go)

Hand:

5X1 Hg 300 TNS (RH...LH missed 1/8" but hit it inverted TNS easy)

some #2 and #1 TNS stuff

some #3 attempts...may have closed, but didn't have a mirror and didn't feel it

6X2 BBSM MMS

1X10 #1 TNS (one set reg another set inverted)

Also did some one handed deadlifts in various positions (conventional, straddling the bar etc) with weights varying from 185 to 215lb.

I had intended to do 6X2 at 245lb again on bench...but I just laid around all week last week and I was shaky as hell. 245 felt heavy on those singles, so I just moved some weight around to get back in the groove. Hopefully I'll be back in business on Thursday...I wasn't happy to have lost strength.

My legs however felt pretty good. I threw up that 205 without even squatting down to get it...if my clean technique was better I could probably move some serious weight. Hand felt pretty good TNS wise too...usually Hg 300 is a max TNS for me, but I was shutting it smoothly.

Nice. Maybe you can look into oly lifting if you enjoy cleans and are good at 'em, I love that sport.

August 9, 2011

I wouldn't call myself good at cleans...though I do enjoy them! Keep in mind that my primary sport is about to be armwrestling. It would be ill advised to get too into olympic lifting. I have very lofty goals in armwrestling ie winning the world championship and I'm not scared away by hard work or length of time it takes to achieve that goal. I will probably dabble in cleans, front squat and deadlift but it is unlikely that I will pursue it seriously until after I'm done armwrestling.

Similar to how the log had absolutely 0 weightlifting at all while I was in gymnastics.

Leg:

Ran a mile

Chin/pullup:

1X1 one arm chin (N)

1X6 one arm chins (N)

1X3 one arm chins (N)

1X3 one arm chins (S)

1X2 one arm chins (S)

1X3 one arm pullups

1X2 one arm pullups

3X30 chinups (1 neutral, 1 supinated and 1 pullups)

Rested Wednesday. Got a volunteer position at a nature preserve, so I'm out there doing manual labor etc for a fair part of a day.

I'm going to take the rest of summer vacation off from armwrestling to let my elbows heal up. I'm going to do general strength/fitness work until I get back to school and then jump on armwrestling hard again.

Other than wrist injuries being the most common in oly lifting, I don't see why you couldn't train both sports at a high level, after all, oly lifting is mostly hip/leg and overhead strength, so you could train biceps/forearms seppararely with no negative impact.

:calm:D

Just kidding. :)

Been too many days! I trained Thurs and Fri, but I don't remember what I did. I suppose I benched Thurs, yea I did I benched Thurs repped with 245, then I did front levers and chins on Fri.

I'm resting up to hopefully get some PR videos.

Stuff I'm looking to get on video:

dunk a basketball

jump out of a swimming pool

deadlift 405lb

75 consecutive dips

single rafter pinch grip hang

Was going to hit it hard today (Tues), but I pulled a muscle in my back dunking last night. The video with the #1 priority is the 75 dips since apparently nobody believes that I can do that with reasonable form....so I will demonstrate. I attempted to take a video after bench the other day...but I felt like I would only make 70 and quit on 62. The form up until ~rep 55 was such that nobody could reasonably complain...legs straight, arms dipping significantly below 90 and coming up to full lockout. On my 75 video there will undoubtably be some hitching in the last 10 or so reps, but that means that there were 65 very solid reps preceeding them.

I used to be able to bust all 75 solid...but if you read the log you know that I haven't done high rep dips in quite a while.

Well benching before high-rep dipping isn't the best plan :laugh We trust you Ivar, you can post whatever you want in here and we believe ya. :bow But videos of good strength feats are just plain fun to watch.

Been training, but yet again didn't post so I forgot what I did. The usual stuff I guess.

Wednesday:

not going to post everything just the important stuff

Benchpress:

1X3X 165lb

1X3X 195lb

1X1X 225lb

2X1X 245lb

6X2X 245lb

Deadlift:

1X5X225lb

1X1X315lb

1X3" to HOLY SHT I BROKE MY BACKX 405lb

yea...I KO'd my back last night deadlifting 405. I pulled a muscle dunking a couple days ago and it was still bothering me, but 315 felt light as a feather so I went for 405, which felt good coming off the ground and then hit a spot that triggered that pulled muscle and POW I could barely breathe.

I couldn't sleep last night and I could hardly get out of bed this morning, but I'm moving back to college today and the activity is loosening up my back quite a bit. I think I'll be okay. Although, I did pick a heavy box up and almost pass out because a shooting pain went right through me.

In better news my benchpress is back on track and feeling strong. Still headed toward 3 bills.

Moved back to college. Training super hard.

Bodyweight: 158.7lb

Last workouts: went climbing for some hours climbed several V5 worked on a V7 missed the last 2 moves.

Bench:

6X2X 245lb easy...going to three reps next workout.

Busy as hell with crew chief stuff, so I doubt I'll post...but trust that I'm training hard. Might get back to walking around at 155lb soon.

I think the jump from 315 to 405 is too big if that's around your max. Why didn't you try something in between? :( Hope your back recovers quickly!

Perhaps it was too big, but I didn't have a lot of in between stuff, plus I knew I could pick it up. I just didn't anticipate my prior injury to limit me so badly.

Back is good to go now though.

Tuesday:

Bench:

1X5X 155lb

1X3X 205lb

1X5X 155lb

1X1X 225lb

1X1X 245lb

3X2X 245lb

3X2X 250lb (needed a slight spot on 2nd rep each time...last set was best and I almost got it alone)

1X3X 205lb

1X3X 185lb

Chin:

1X1 one arm chin (N)

3X3 one arm chins (N)

1X3 one arm chins (S)

1X2 one arm chins (S)

1X3 one arm pullups

1X2 one arm pullups

Busy. Not a lot of time to put in long workouts. Bench wasn't feeling good enough for a third rep with 245, so I just upped the weight by 5lb....and that made it too heavy for doubles lol...but at least I was changing up the routine a bit. If I can't put up more serious weight next time, I think I'll just rep with 225lb.

Aug 29, 2011

Rockclimbed for 2 hrs.

BW: 157lb

Chin:

1X7 one arm chins (N)

1X3 one arm chins (N)

1X5 one arm chins (S)

1X5 one arm pullups

Also, reinjured my hamstring in a severe way because there was a brawl and I sprinted up to get involved and in the process F'd my leg up AGAIN. Never going to heal I feel.

Thanks guys! My chinning does seem to be my best aspect.

September 1, 2011

Hand:

2X15 wrist curls 80lb

2X15 wrist curls armwrestling position 80lbs

Bicep:

5X10sec hook holds 80lb dumbell

5X10sec hook holds 60lb sand bucket

a few sets of 5 hook curls 60lb sand bucket

1X30sec hook hold 60lb sand bucket

5X10sec backpressure hold 55lb sand bucket

a few sets of backpressure lifts 55lb sand bucket

Core:

2X25 hanging tuck ups

2X25 one arm hanging tuckups (5 on left, switch 5 on right, switch repeat etc)

I will do my tuckups on one arm from now on. I've been training on these inbetween days, but I'm quite busy and it's hard to post.

Other news: I did 5X10 handstand pushups WITHOUT PAIN! I've backed off handstand pushups for a long while now and I'm finally getting to wear I can go overhead without pain, so that's definitely a big milestone. A while back I did a couple sets and had pain about 1 out of 10 but now it's 0 out of 10. I'm still hesitant to jump in too quick, but I think I'll be okay. The 10 felt smooth as well. Bench has definitely upped my tricep strength.

Nice about the handstand work!

Ivar if I may suggest it.... it would be awesome if you post a video of your one arm chins one day. 7 would already be something very strange, regardless of form... but if youeven manage 8.... that'd be a CRAZY video if I may say so. Would rock to have that in youtube, heh. Just thinking out loud here.. :-)