Boneless' Bodyweight Training

Ivarboneless

Damnit my gymnastics meet was cancelled due to flooding. It looks like the Houston guys can't make NM state, so I won't be able to go.

That just threw my plans all out of wack. Oh well, I have an exam Monday so maybe it was for the best.

Feb 4, 2012

Went to armwrestle in Conroe with the Houston guys. Brought the new guy along with me. He pulled a bit, but then the toothache got to him. I pulled for around 3 hours. Good practice. Worked all three moves. Felt nice and strong. I still don't feel quite as good as I did over the break since my body is more beat up from gymnastics.

Rested Sunday.

Feb 6, 2012

Three hours in the gym

Handstand:

1X2 handstand pushups

2X12 handstand pushups

Core:

4X40sec one arm L hangs (20sec one arm then switch)

Swung the sledge 3 sets of 50 swings each side (50 one side switch 50 otherside then rest repeat 3 times)

Hand:

2X100 passes 2 25s

Feb 7, 2012

Chins:

1X1 one arm chin

1X6 one arm chins

1X3 one arm chins

1X30 neutral grip chins (hooked wrist)

1X30 chins (hooked grip)

Back:

2X50 bug exercise

Core:

4X(5X5X5) tuck leg raises...........the sets of 5 are side tuck raises either across body or on the side for each side and one set of five in the center.

Quite disappointed to see Vazgen say that athletes at the world level in armwrestling need "chemistry" to be competitive. That may be the case, but I'll be a natural athlete until I retire. Rest assured that anything I accomplish either in the log or in my competitive endeavors is completely natural. At the current time I don't even take supplements whatsoever....no protein powder, no supplements of any kind and further more I don't even take medicine.....I haven't taken any medicine for 2 years (and that was a required shot that I had). No ibuprofin, no aspirin, no tylenol, no rubs....nothing....ever.

I'm not advising other people to live like I do, nor am I saying I view protein powder and supplements as cheating....just saying that I'm doing it completely raw. I hate when people say that all upper level athletes are tampered with. It may be true, but I hate that idea. I'm currently ranked #2 and #8 left and right at armwrestling for my weightclass in the USA and I hope to be a medalist at WAF....if you ever see me on that podium just know that it's possible to be elite level naturally.

Blood, sweat and dreams are my chemical formula.

Ivar, I just started working on a planche progression based on Coach Sommer's article at Dragon Door, and I wonder if you could give me some tips. The frog stand he has first is way too easy. But the tuck stand with straight elbows and knees not touching the arms is impossible for me. I can't even get 2 seconds.

I did a bent-elbow tuck stand with knees touching arms, and progressed that to a bent-elbow with knees NOT touching arms, but I feel stuck. My best is 16 seconds and not going up. Any tips on getting airtime on the straight elbow tuck stand? Or is there a different exercise I should be doing? Thanks in advance.

Do not work bent elbow positions. They will not help your planche. Planche leans are a good exercise. Get in a pushup position and lean forward as in a planche. Use a spotter if you must....or some other form of assistance. You could use a stretch band to help spot you on your tuck planches. Do everything with straight arms. Handstands and the like will also help strengthen your planching shoulder muscles.

Work planches a bit every day. Grease the groove. Don't work them like a powerlift. Google around. There's plenty of planche advice out there. If you want a more in depth answer PM me and I'll try to give you some more tips. Also, my own planche progression is buried in the log near the beginning. This log has my whole training history encompassed, so if you have a question you can probably dig the answer out of the log....and gain insight into my mindset and ideas at the time.

Feb 8, 2012

Rest

Feb 9, 2012

Gym for 3 hours.

Planche:

5X5sec straddle planche (some of my best ones ever)

Several press handstands (not from planche)

Back:

2X50 bug exercise

Core:

4X40sec one arm L hangs (one arm 20secs then switch)

Hand:

bent a few G2 and TT...felt painful in my joints so I left it alone.

5X5 sledge front weaver curls 16" from head

2X5 sledge front weaver curls 20" from head

some front and rear weaver deads from the floor

worked some armwrestling positions with the sledge....didn't find what I was looking for.

Feb 10, 2012

2 hours of gymnastics.

Biceps are excessively sore from rings strength throughout the week....HOWEVER my cross was stronger than ever oddly enough. Was holding it for days. The guys commented that I was looking leaner than usual. I believe it.

Funny Arturo, funny :D Not quite that lean....yet!

February 13, 2012

gymnastics for 2 hours. We had a mock meet. I only did rings and pommels because my back hurt too bad for the others. Pommel warm up was awesome and I nailed my set....but I fell on both of my competition sets...can't win warm ups. Rings went much better. I didn't warm up too much and I felt rock solid. I flew up out of my pineda cross pressout. I should be in decent form for this weekend.

Didn't train afterwards I was too busy planning an awesome Valentine's Day for my girl. I'll update how it goes later, but I feel like she'll be bragging to her friends about how caring her man is. None of my guy friends are doing anything like what I'm doing for my girl.

Resting today...back in the gym for full sets tomorrow.

Feb 22, 2012

Front lever:

3X5sec front lever

3X10 hang pull front lever

Core:

5X5sets of (5 hanging side crunches each side, 5 hanging cross body crunches each side and 5 hanging tuck ups)

3X30sec L hang

Sledge:

swung sledge 4X50 times per side (not hitting anything, just windmilling around)

Been training a lot harder than that. I'm pretty sore right now and have an exam Friday which translated into a lighter training day. Believe me though swinging that sledge and doing those front lever pulls was not really a restful day.

Feb 22, 2012

Front lever:

3X5sec front lever

3X10 hang pull front lever

Core:

5X5sets of (5 hanging side crunches each side, 5 hanging cross body crunches each side and 5 hanging tuck ups)

3X30sec L hang

Sledge:

swung sledge 4X50 times per side (not hitting anything, just windmilling around)

Been training a lot harder than that. I'm pretty sore right now and have an exam Friday which translated into a lighter training day. Believe me though swinging that sledge and doing those front lever pulls was not really a restful day.

Do u have a link to a video with your sledge swings. Have been trying it, and doesent feel that hard. Dont know if im doing it right...

/Lenny

Couple of points: It can depend greatly on the weight of hammer you're using (6lb swings will be much easier than 16lb swings), I grip with both hands pretty close to the bottom of the handle. If you're gripping one hand close to the head it will be MUCH easier. I'm swinging 100 swings straight through no break in between switching hands. I'm also swinging pretty hard which makes the sledge hard to hold on to and pumps the forearms.

If that sounds like what you're doing then you're probably just more of a beast at swinging the sledge than me. Also, don't judge it until you've done all the sets. A set of 20 swings on one side and thinking "man this is easy" is misleading. Set after set is when I really start to feel the burn. But, as I said, you may just be better than me at it.

Sunday:

Climbed for 2 hours.

Leg:

3 40yd sprints. Was beating this kid (18yr old 5'8" 150lb used to play soccer) starting 10ft behind him with him saying go.

Ran 2 miles.

Three hours of gymnastics.

Hand:

10 3 finger (mid-ring-index) lifts 45 hex

5 full hand lifts 45 hex

3 two finger (mid/ring) lifts 45 hex

all core work done hanging open hand from 1" ledge

Bench:

1X5 135lb

1X5 185lb

1X2 225lb

6X2 245lb

Tricep:

3X3X10sec one arm tricep press isometric

Core:

4X:30sec L hangs

Armwrestling:

4X25 side pressure reps 20lb (stand...right elbow to left hip...lean over so that your outer arm is parallel to the ground....make armwrestling motion)

2X25 reverse armwrestling rotator cuff exercise 20lb

4X25 toproll mini reps 20lb

I think I'm going to start doing this light sidepressure stuff every other day. I feel like it will help either A) strengthen my arm or B) help prevent my elbows from being injured (and possibly help rehab them)

This is some legitimate training. Been a minute since I've trained like this. I was SUPER EXCITED that my bench press didn't go down. On the first set with 245lb I felt good for a triple.

Feb 28, 2012

Back:

1X1 one arm chin

1X7 one arm chins

1X2 one arm chins

1X5 pull front lever

1X5sec front lever

1X5sec straddle lever

Rockclimbing:

Climbed for 2 hours. Flashed a V5 and a V4. Campused several V1 and V2s. Sent a V7. Started working a V9

Bicep:

1X10 curls 60lb sand bucket

5X30sec hook isometric 60lb sand bucket

Feeling strong. That V7 was legit. Includes an all points off dyno to a one hand grip and a campus finish. I felt like that route was tailor made for me! Stretched and stuff as usual.

Probably never. I rarely get in video posting mode. I do enjoy watching my one arm middle finger chin and one arm +35lb videos though, so maybe I'll put one out at some point. Depends on the motivation of my video camera owning friends. Every time I make a video it's because they've spurred me to make one.

Leap Day, 2012

Two hours gymnastics. Did cross work on rings.

Armwrestling:

4X25 side pressure reps 20lb

2X25 reverse armwrestling rotator cuff exercise 20lb

4X25 toproll mini reps 20lb

Leg:

Ran 2 miles...felt easy easy easy fast paced maybe 12min 2 mile.

Core:

4X(5X5X5) hanging side tuck raise, cross body tuck raise (repeat other side), 5 tuck raises. 25 reps each set basically.

I think that was it, I don't know. Been training pretty much all day, so there was probably some extra stuff in there somewhere. I'm going to rest two days now before armwrestling practice.

March 3, 2012

First of all CONGRATULATIONS GEOFF HALE: Arnold Classic Champion 154lb. I've been telling Josh Handeland that your hook is tip top at 154....maybe now he believes me? Geoff over Vazgen a great accomplishment and finally the man shows the hook power that I've felt from him. Incredible job.

Went on a field trip that took all day. Took some data, got hit by a widowmaker falling out of a tree which cut my face....a day in the life right?

An hour and a half of armwrestling practice. Felt incredibly strong...perhaps a bit of tendon pain on the top end but not too bad.

Bench:

1X5 135lb

1X5 185lb

1X2 225lb

2X2 245lb

4X2 250lb

Baby steps :tongue added 2.5lb plates to each side so that I'm making some kind of progress. I felt like going for 3 reps, but I figured I wouldn't make all the sets so I just upped the weight a bit.

March 4, 2012

Ran 2 miles

Did 3 40yd sprints. Did my sprints with a different kid this time. 18 years old, wrestler in high school, weighs about 160lb, 6' tall, runs to keep in shape. Same results as last time. Won all three and started about 3 yards behind him on the last sprint. He was calling the ready go every time. I'm feeling kind of swift right now.

Perhaps you're in the wrong sport. How's the track n field at your university? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff is a beast... but not unbeatable :) what did you think or Spine giving Vazgen a war inside? And that was right after Brad had a 37 second hook war with Sam Harris... I can hold Brad inside for a few hits/seconds, and Brad said Sam is even with him inside, and me and Sam are close in slow pulling (but he has a hit like yours :cry). I also beat Norm Devio after the tourney, let him get in his "sweet spot" and pulled through him inside, and could roll him whenever I wanted to.

Edited by Josh H

Also, not sure if you heard, but Tim Lewis had a supermatch last Saturday with Kris Mikels at 176, and he beat Kris 2-0 right and 2-1 left (the one match Kris won left he flashed Tim, Tim said he won fairly easily the other 2 when he caught him, left. Right they had a couple good hook matches). Tim said he thinks I would beat Kris.

This will be my top 10 Right Handed 154 Rankings in my next update (should be posted early next week)

1. Corey Miller

2. Geoff Hale

3. Vazgen Soghoyan

4. Jamie Sheldon

5. Jason Rivas

6. Rich Denardo

7. Tim Inman

8. Michael Hann

9. Brad Spine

10. Sam Harris

I have pulled 5 of these guys in tourneys (Geoff, TIm, You, Brad, and Sam). In my opinion this is how everyone would do with everyone else.

Corey would beat everyone. He would probably flash everyone. Vazgen and Geoff have a chance with him if they can stop his hit.

Geoff would beat everyone besides Corey. He would probably flash everyone, except Vazgen, who has the best chance of beating him of all the guys ranked below him. Spine has a chance if he can stop Geoff, but Geoff is too quick and probably too strong as well.

Jamie Sheldon has a great roll, idk if he can roll Geoff, I don't recall ever seeing Geoff's wrist go back. I think Jamie would probably roll everybody else. You have a real strong hand/wrist and could maybe stop his roll though.

Jason Rivas is the ranked guy I know the least about, because he isn't as active as the others and he rarely leaves Florida.

Rich Denardo has beaten Klemba before, I think can hang with ALL these guys inside if he gets in his hook, not sure how strong his wrist is but he has beat Klemba before.

TIm Inman hasn't been very active in the past year, but he stalemated Hale inside at last years Arnold. I think in that shape, he can hang with any of these guys inside (I think Geoff would beat him inside now, Vazgen and Spine I think would beat him, too. Would love to see Inman vs. Denardo). Inman is rollable though and it's very quick, I think you, Rivas, and Sheldon could flash roll him. Sam Harris probably would, too.

You. I think you would flash roll Inman, and you'd take Spine's hand. If either of them did get you inside, I think they would beat you; I think Vazgen and Hale would suck you in and win. Sam Harris is fast like you and is similar in strength, I'd give you the slight edge everywhere but would love to see you pull him. Not sure about you against Denardo, Rivas, or Sheldon.

Brad Spine is capable of beating any of these guys inside (except Corey) but he is slow, he is succeptable to being flashed and is rollable. I'd love to see him pull Denardo (hook vs. hook).

Sam Harris is pretty new (only about 2 years in the sport) but has already flashed Mikels (twice) and gave Spine a 37 sec hook match. He wants a rematch with Denardo (who beat him at AAA Nats last year). I think he has a chance at flashing Spine, and think he would flash roll Inman, everyone else would beat him, but I think he has a chance with everyone and would like to see him pull everyone ranked above him, besides Vazgen, Hale, and Corey, who I think are just too strong/quick/technical.

My opinions here.

I love discussing rankings with you because you ALWAYS have concrete evidence and very strong arguments to back up your rankings.

I didn't see any video of the Arnold...if Spine hung Vazgen up inside for longer than 5secs in a capacity more than just resisting being pinned on the losing side I'm super impressed. I know that Geoff is beatable I just don't think he gets the respect he deserves sometimes (ESPECIALLY INSIDE). You mentioned several guys possibly beating Geoff inside...I would bet the rent on Geoff winning 5-0 everyone except Corey and Vazgen inside. MAYBE some guys can tie him up, but you know being tied up doesn't always mean that you're in danger of losing a match.

My comments on what you said:

#1 my opinion of Geoff is based solely on my performance with him in competition at 165 and during practice at his natural weight ~160. I've never pulled him at 154, so I suppose it is possible that his performace drops according to the weight loss (I was VERY SUPRISED to see Inman and Pappy hang him up).

#2 My opinion of Brad Spine is based on his performance against me practice pulling after 2010 Unifieds where he competed 132lb I believe

#3 Most of my opinions are based on practice pulling and typically old knowledge

Corey agreed #1. Geoff and Vaz close after could go either way.

All the rest are kind of a coin toss. Rivas is a beast. Sheldon appears to be a beast, but all the imressive wins I've seen from him are when a well known guy is pulling several classes....I'm not sure if I trust those wins. Sheldon will not roll Geoff UNLESS Geoff goes outside. I don't know much about Denardo or Sam Harris.

Tim Inman: Strong inside, slow. I was pretty even with Inman inside at 2008 Arnolds after the tournament.

Spine: I was very even with him inside after 2010 Unifieds. I could get his hand whenever I wanted it though. It suprises me that he can hang up Vaz in that form but as mentioned perhaps when he doesn't have to cut weight he's much more of a beast.

My thoughts on myself:

Corey: No chance. Inside/outside, slow, fast whatever Corey wins

Geoff: 5-10% chance. I've been able to roll his hook with a ready go at practice with a very low percentage. I could maybe sneak a win in a tournament.

Vazgen: 10% chance. I've rolled Vaz in a slow pull (no ready go) on the practice table 3 times now (out of 5) but I can't seem to do it in a tournament.

Jamie: No idea. I would give the edge to Jamie based on who he's beaten. I think he'll either blow me out or it will be pretty even.

Rivas: Down in TX we've been toying with the possibility of a supermatch between him and I. I'd say 50-50 with us. I've seen him be great and I've seen him stopped.

Denardo: No idea. Don't even know how to guess.

Inman: 70% me. I'm confident I can hang with him inside and I'm sure in a supermatch setting I can get his wrist.

Me: 50-50. It would be pretty even up top and inside, but I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to top my hook or if I press/flop pressed. I'd like to see that match

Spine: 80% me. I'm confident inside if it goes there, but I'm pretty sure that either speed or taking his hand wins the day for me.

Harris: Again a new guy that I don't know a lot about.

Usually I'm well versed on the top ten, but I've been busy with gym and bonfire for a year...and have no ArmTV so my knowledge is a bit old. I'm probably going to contraband to double class 54 and 76....maybe just 76. I think I'll smash 54 like usual (unless the LA elusive guys like RJ or Olin show up) but the 76 could be interesting with me, comardelle, hennerichs, Josh Bishop, Ethan Fritsche, Jae T, John Toups, Tullier maybe :sick: . I'd like to do both classes but if the 76s are going to be stacked I would rather see where I stack up there than blow out the 54s.

Your thoughts and rankings look very solid to me. Again I think #4 through #10 could go either way and is likely a case where #4 beats #6 who beats #5 who actually beats #4. I think the bottom 6 are kind of a web of who beats who. Would be a great megamatch or whatever you call a 6 man round robin/challenge match thing.

Thanks! And yeah, the bottom 6 are definitely a case of puller going back and forth.

Me: 50-50. It would be pretty even up top and inside, but I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to top my hook or if I press/flop pressed. I'd like to see that match

:D LOL 50-50!!!

Luke Stanley actually took Spine's right hand in January at IL States, he had Brad's hand all the way back but they were straight up and down. Slip, Brad won in strap, can't remember for sure but I think Brad won with a flopped wrist. That being said, Brad is definitely rollable by guys that can't roll Vazgen or Hale, BUT seeing what he did to Vazgen, I don't think any 54 in the USA will beat Brad inside right handed, besides Corey, Geoff, and Vazgen. Denardo would be interesting. My money would be on Spine. btw, Spine was 150 dressed at the Arnold. So like 145.

And, you're in luck, my teammate was filming during the ENTIRE tournament, with 3 tables he obviously didn't get everything, but he got a lot.

14 sec in.

After this, Spine moves in refs grip, then fouled off the front on the start, which gave Vazgen the win, Vazgen beat him first match of the day a little earlier. Then Brad beat me in 5 sec, and had a 37 sec war with Sam Harris, before this match, Vazgen had one long match with Geoff before this.

By the way, besides Corey and Vazgen, Spine was the only guy that I said could possibly beat Hale inside. I said DeNardo and Inman could hand with him, meaning my money would be on Geoff but I think it's possible that they could be in the match / hold him for a few seconds. But he could flash them, too.

I liked your assessments with how you'd do with everybody, and I agree with all of them. Except I think Spine would beat you if it goes inside. But you'd roll him almost for sure. And I think you're chances with Inman are higher than your chances with Spine.

Also, if you pull 54's at Contraband, there's a new guy at 154, Justin Bishop (you mentioned his brother, Josh). Justin has been beating a lot of solid 54's lately, not top 10 guys but he's beaten Pappy, Vierra, Devio, Culpepper, and Ruiz. I pulled him at Nats and beat him easily. He has a good hand and good roll but is pathetic in a hook, so if you do pull him, just put him inside and I doubt you'll even feel him - unless, of course, you wish to feel out his toproll. You should get him either way so. Otherwise, I'd love to see you pull the 76's! I'll be watching, on Armtv. :)

Edited by Josh H