Boneless' Bodyweight Training

Ivarboneless

Arturo is right about the hollow hold. I did that ab routine as my training for gymnastics. That is just the routine that a 16-17yr old kid came up with to get a strong core...I'm sure there are other, perhaps more beneficial, ways to achieve the same result.

I can hold a front lever for 10ish seconds....but that's pushing it. I can't do those lever positions very well.

January 6, 2012

Rest. Very sore

January 7, 2012

Stretched a couple cycles. Legs still pretty sore.

1.5hr armwrestling practice. Worked toproll and tricep press. I felt pretty strong and powerful. Elbow injury didn't act up, but tendonitis was a slight factor. Didn't over exert myself...resting tomorrow.

January 8, 2012

Supposed to be a rest day, but I couldn't just sit all day.

Dug for 2hrs.

Leg:

Ran 3 miles.

Pretty much a rest day, but I got a bit of blood flowing. Only a few days until I go back to school. I've made some good progress over the past four weeks. I can see the results in my physique, I got a little soft after basically a year off...but I'm starting to look hard again.

BW: 163.4lb shirt and shorts on with phone keys etc in pockets.

January 9, 2012

Hand:

10 lifts 45 hex full hand

10 lifts 45 hex 3 finger

Iron Cross:

1X1 iron cross pressout

1X7 iron cross pressout

1X2 iron cross pressout

4X25 assisted cross pullouts

Core:

1X200 legs raised head to knees situps

1X350 legs raised elbows across knees situps

1X300 legs raised elbows across knees situps

1X300 V-ups

1X3:30 hollow hold

January 10, 2012

Hand:

2X25 wrist curl 80lb armwrestling position

2X25 wrist curl 80lb

Handstand:

1X2 handstand pushups

1X14 handstand pushups

1X13 handstand pushups

2X12 handstand pushups

2X1:00 handstand

Back:

2X2:00 arch hold

Stretched both days. Then went to visit my girl for 2 days before we went back to school. Back at school now. I'm pretty sore from all the stuff, so I'll probably rest until armwrestling practice on Saturday. Feeling very strong and dedicated right now. My elbows are a bit inflamed right now which is why I'm resting until Saturday. I think my muscles will be ready before that, but I don't want elbow pain at practice.

All I read from this post of yours was this:

went to visit my girl for 2 days

and,

I'm pretty sore from all the stuff

So don't fool us saying you're sore in your Elbows Ivar!

Great stuff you're doing. What is the Arch Hold for the back?

It's like a superman hold. Lay on stomach arch back and hold arms overhead...nothing too intense.

January 14, 2012

Went to the big Dallas vs Houston practice/tournament. Felt STRONG. Looks like I'm the strongest puller in TX under 200lb right now. I controlled Chris Hood (250lb) up top easily both hands, Jae T Hamilton (176lb) up top and inside easily both hands, Jerry Herron (198lb) up top and inside both hands, forced James Chancey (220lb) in a hook to beat him (even in straps where he's best) lefty, took Gabe Moore (250lb) easily up top and inside both hands, managed to flop Jerrod Levulett's (235lb) hand and get the pin when he tried to go up top with me righty, beat Robby Burnett (242s) lefty inside and up top (pretty even). I also beat some BIG BOYS that are just starting out or have only a couple years under their belts. I had a pretty good day. Some of these were ready go's with a ref, but then people didn't want me to hit into them anymore and the rest were slow pulls. Some were in and out of the strap etc. Seemed pretty rock solid on all counts. Tricep press also did some work on people.

These were mostly fresh matches. I was wondering if the way I pulled with Geoff and Ethan was a fluke, but after this practice I feel like I must have legitimately made some serious gains from either training or resting my injured elbows. Last tournament I did was in MN I think and my elbows were KILLING ME then....so naturally I wasn't tip top, but right now everything feels healed up and I seem to have some good power in my arms right now.

From the MO practice I felt like I was pretty close to Ethan's level, but I thought there was no way in hell...but most of these matches at this TX tourney were EASY for me. I could absorb hits, control the match inside and out etc...which I feel does indeed put me near to that upper level now.

If any of the TX guys read this don't take the post as disrespect. I'm just happy that I'm seeing progress finally from all my hard work. I mean read the log...it's 88 pages and like 6yrs of my life....I have big goals in this sport and I've worked damn hard and I feel like I might now finally get to reap some rewards. I don't want it to come off as disrespect like "aw man I was crushing those guys" more of I know how strong certain people are and it is a great accomplishment to be able to perform the way I did against athletes of that level. I had a great time (and a great practice!) and everyone was very nice and welcoming. I hope we can set it up again sometime. Once again I realize the post sounds a bit boastful, but I mean no disrespect towards anyone...I'm just so elated that I performed so well is all.

I don't know. I'll probably compete at 176lb though. Walking around 160lb right now and I don't want to cut to 154lb unless it is a major event (Arnold, Mike Gould Classic, Harley Pull, ROTN, Vegas, Mohegan etc), National tournament or supermatch for some serious cash.

I feel like I have too much horsepower for most 154lb but I need some refining of my strength in a competition setting. I feel like I'm on the level strength and technique wise in a practice setting, but I need to feel strong, uncomfortable to grip up with, different technique kind of guys in a tournament. Hard to find 154s to practice with in tournaments. I need to step up in weight (still being light mind you) to get experience pulling unfamiliar and stronger guys I think. I may hit some LA tournaments, OK state, Europa, Nats, TX state

Short answer is that I don't know, but I will try to get out there....probably pulling up in weight. In the case of OK state and Europa I'll probably do 165, 198 R &L and maybe 242 left. Not sure of my game plan if Geoff or Corey show up because my top ambition right now is to beat those guys, so I may skip the extra classes in order to pull out some wins on those guys, but in their absence I'll certainly pull up at least 98s.

January 17, 2012

Hand:

1X5 #1 TNS inverted and normal

1X1 #2 TNS

1X1 RB 240 MMS

1X1 BBSM MMS

3X1 #3 MMS

3X5 #2 TNS

5X3 BBSM MMS

Then 3 hours of gymnastics. Still strong. Straddle planche and cross are stronger than ever. Straddle planche was strong enough that I felt like I could probably hold a full planche. Endurance is much better, still slightly gassed while on events but I was performing at a very respectable level for being out of the gym for a year.

Got some love on the N.E. board on the rankings topic. I thought that was cool. I'm not a very public figure in the armwrestling world, so to get a shoutout is kind of cool. Especially cool when it's a shoutout saying that you should be ranked higher than you are :D I think the rankings are pretty close 154 wise...or at least close with the pullers I have knowledge of. A couple guys on there I don't really know...so I'll trust Josh's judgement. HOWEVER, I feel that the 154s left Geoff Hale should be top 3....based on past performance I feel like he should be #2 in my spot as I've never beaten him....but I've never pulled him at 154lb and he was a 165lber back then. Based on current practice pulling etc I own up top and we're even in a hook and I'm marginally successful at keeping him from hooking so it should be interesting. Also, Kris Mikels needs more love in my opinion....he gave me hell up top at nationals. I admit that he wasn't really there in a hook...which is perhaps why he's ranked so low, but toproll wise he's the real deal. There's a reason that I hooked him....and that's that I could feel my worlds opportunity slipping away if I went up top again.

All that said, I'm feeling like iron right now and I look forward to pouring some hell on the armwrestling world soon.

With which arm do you feel Mikels should be ranked higher with? If you're talking right handed, I have Mikels at 9th, and in the past 12 months he has lost to the 2nd, 5th, and 7th place guys, and the 8th place guy (you) is 1-0 with him.

Lefty I'd like to pull him :)

I've only seen Hale pull once lefty at 154, I would need to see him beat the guys ranked above him at 154 to justify moving him up. And he did have a WAR with Jeremy Pappy and got tied up by Ron Ruzic at Unifieds (both of whom are unranked).

Thanks for the support tho, and you're sounding beastly!

I meant lefty for Kris. Much like Corey said I see the righty rankings as Corey, Vazgen, Geoff and then it could go any number of ways from there....so your guess is as good as anyone. That would be a killer mega match or whatever you call a 6 person supermatch. I'll trust your judgement righty (except Geoff should be higher of course).

As far as getting in wars with Ron Ruzic and Pappy....assuming that Geoff doesn't lose a ton of strength (as I've never pulled him at 54) when he cuts down to me that means that those two guys should be ranked higher. I was blown away that Pappy was hanging with him. Pappy's performance at contraband was also impressive. I know Ron Ruzic used to war with Snook in the 76's so he's probably pretty stout.

You do a fair job at the rankings. Better 54s than Roussin in my opinion. You always base your ranks on legitimate happenings and logic. It pisses me off that guys on the board always say you play favorites. Everytime you explain your reasoning I always find myself agreeing with you and thinking well that's a legit reason I guess. So even if guys don't agree...and they may be right....at least you base your rankings off of empirical evidence.

January 18, 2012

Two hours rock climbing. Hit some V6s

Three hours gymnastics

BW: 160lb

Classes I'm taking:

Cell Biology, Ecology, Ecology laboratory, Fungal Genomics, Fungal Genomics Research, Bacterial Genetics and Gymnastics. Should be a light semester :tongue

P.S. A match between you and Kris would be interesting if you could hook him. You need some speed off the go and you need to get inside. If you can get in there it would probably be a war....you would probably win on endurance in a supermatch format if you can get your hook in. Set it up! I'd like to see that.

A day in the life of Ivarboneless:

So I woke up this morning at 4:00 AM and took a shower with ice shavings in the dark. When I went to class some guy looked at me wrong so I choked him out, and I chipped his tooth for good measure (that sissy wasn't loading logs like me!). I had some adrenaline so I jumped out of a plane into a lake and landed with a perfect swan dive. I was still pumped up so I did some one arm pullups on a rolling thunder while holding an Inch Dumbbell in the other hand. After that I did 6.022 x 10^23 situps. All that work made me hungry so I ate a pound of raw hamburger meat and some hotwings that are sometimes used to dissolve uranium. After that I armwrestled for 5 hours before doing another 1,000,000 sets of situps and gymnastics for 5 hours. 100 planche pushups, wow!

All in all a good day!

A day in the life of Ivarboneless:

So I woke up this morning at 4:00 AM and took a shower with ice shavings in the dark. When I went to class some guy looked at me wrong so I choked him out, and I chipped his tooth for good measure (that sissy wasn't loading logs like me!). I had some adrenaline so I jumped out of a plane into a lake and landed with a perfect swan dive. I was still pumped up so I did some one arm pullups on a rolling thunder while holding an Inch Dumbbell in the other hand. After that I did 6.022 x 10^23 situps. All that work made me hungry so I ate a pound of raw hamburger meat and some hotwings that are sometimes used to dissolve uranium. After that I armwrestled for 5 hours before doing another 1,000,000 sets of situps and gymnastics for 5 hours. 100 planche pushups, wow!

All in all a good day!

LOL! That was GOOD! Shows you've been reading this log for a long time. :-)

Next time don't forget to write about "Coloradoing" and many other things.... :)

Wow. That was a very accurate description of my log! One of the greatest posts I've read on this board and certainly the best in my log.

Jan 23, 2012

Three hours of gymnastics. Did full sets on rings.

Hand:

Bent several TT DU and a couple heslep style

bent several G2 bolts DU and one heslep style

Bent 2 60D nails DU

bent 1 5/11 G2 carriage bolt DU

1X10 plate curls 25lb

2X20 plate curls 25lb

1X5 perfect slow plate curl 25lb

Bending is almost back to normal. I'm like 1 nail below my former PR level. I just have to bend these 60D galvanized that I have which was a particularly tough batch. The 5/11" carriage bolt is pretty tough. I was melting all these bends DU...didn't push it to my max...possibly could have done some harder stuff. Next time I'll go for something tough....the way I feel I think I need to buy a bucket of 60D to put in some volume for that G5 bend!

January 24, 2012

My birthday. 22 years old now.

3 hours in the gym.

Hand:

grippers. Didn't feel strong couldn't get the #3

Armwrestling position grippers (were strong)

That's how I celebrated my birthday. Was a pretty terrible day.

Happy Birthday!!!

Just FYI, I just pulled Brad Spine at IL States and was able to tie him up for a few hits righty, lefty he felt like a brick wall though, and he crushed me... the weird thing is, I woulda thought right he's crush me but left I could hold him. I also beat Luke Stanley lefty in the prelims but he flashed me in the semi-finals... I took 3rd left, 2nd right to Spine. Spine crushed Stanley lefty, too.

I guess my point is, Spine is ranked 7th left and Mikels is 10th... if Mikels should be higher, if he can beat Spine he would smash me, cuz I wasn't touching Brad's left... crazy that Fraley beat him :ohmy Mike, I want to see you against Fraley!!!

Edited by Josh H

January 25, 2012

Three hours of gymnastics.

Core:

4X30sec L hangs from 1" ledge

Sledge:

2X25 swings

2X50 swings

Hand:

5X10sec one arm chin iso 2 3/8" PVC rolling

several sets of hangs 2 3/8" PVC rolling

I swing the sledge in my dorm room with nothing to hit it on, so I swing then slow it down hence the lower number of swings. Good workout. One of my favorite things to do! I've got veins in my stomach again. I'm in pretty tremendous shape right now. I also train at the gymnastics gym (ie crosses, planches, abs conditioning etc) so if my workouts look light don't be fooled this is just my extra stuff.

Come on man you've got to beat Luke Stanley! I think I could curl Luke Stanley in from a flopped wrist into a hook. Was Brad hooking people? I'm assuming he was because I've never seen him do anything else....Kris is weak lefty in a hook. It's his toproll that's dangerous. If you could hook Kris, you would probably have a war. Go up top and the man is strong. I guess maybe my opinion of Kris is inflated because of how much of a battle he gave me (up top) at nationals. If I would have gone inside at the start I wouldn't have thought he was very impressive.

Fraley doesn't want any of me right now. Last time we pulled we were very even in a hook which is his bread and butter. I think Fraley/Hann is me all day. I'm too fast and we're not going in a hook unless I let it go there. At WAF I blocked his hook easily 100% of the time on the practice table (and I'd wager I did more after pulling than he did). That said, I've got much respect for Jeremy Fraley he's a great puller and strong as sin that hook of his (especially on the defensive side....he's broken a lot of hearts over there).

Stomach veins!?! Crazy shit!!

We really need to see some pics Ivar...

/Lenny

Btw, seems Like u carry a pretty low bf% year round.. How does a normal Day of eating look Like for u?

Yeah Brad was hooking, but he tore through Jordan McGuire lefty and Jordan has given him a lot of trouble before, his lefty is definitely stronger than it has ever been before.

Don't underestimate Luke, he beat Fritsche lefty (flash pin) in 09, same way he got me... I also was sick in IL, had the runs all day, 9 shits and was just coming out of the bathroom when they called me and Luke up in semi-finals. Luke took 3rd lefty at 2008 ROTN in 165's and has been ranked top 10 on Eric's rankings left handed, within the last 2 years. That being said, I think I can get him next time, but he is good. He has also beaten Spine before lefty. And he took Spine's hand righty and they had a match, there was a foul and then spine got him with a straight wrist, same way I got Luke righty (he took my wrist, I intentionally fouled, then got him with mostly side pressure).

Edited by Josh H

I just pulled Luke a couple weeks ago at practice in MO. He was hitting and everything and my arm was going nowhere (R & L) inside, outside etc and I was easily transferring between moves mid match. I always thought that when Eric ranked Luke Stanley it was a mistake. I think he was at #5 at one point. I always thought that was a mistake. However, the man does know how to armwrestle....a lot of guys don't really know how to armwrestle despite being diesel (RJ Molinere, Brandon Dye for example) but Luke DEFINITELY understands armwrestling and has very good technique. He can find angles to put the pressure on you. I've also seen Luke beat guys that I think are good pullers (Harley Pull for example)....maybe our styles just conflict. Too big of a hand and too strong up top for him maybe? I don't know. The man's a good armwrestler, but I think that's a match that you have to win if you're hunting a national ranking.

Jan 28, 2012

Went on an all day SATURDAY FREAKING FIELD TRIP for my Ecology lab. It ended in massive failure because the professor wouldn't even let us take our samples due to the weather and water level DESPITE a two hour drive and 20 minute hike with all of our gear. Took all day and we left at 8am.....read I woke up at 7:30am after a Friday night.

A local guy emailed me wanting to have practice last week. I got together with him and we trained. Good guy, strong guy, learns fast. I'll probably train with him every week. We trained for about 2 hours. He's one of the best amature level guys in TX I would say. I instucted him in the various moves. I worked a lot on my compromised, flat wrist pulling (Brzenk vs Ivakin at 2004 Zloty) and that gave me a fair workout outside the strap. The guy has pretty good power and he picks up the technique very quickly. He is still in the phase where he's trying to actually beat me and sacrifices his angles a bit which I told him was a mistake. If a guy is significantly stronger than you, I don't think you should try to beat him at practice, but instead should work on your angles and technique. It doesn't to any good to pull incorrectly to get an extra 5lbs of pressure that isn't going to pin the stronger man anyway.

Pretty excited about this new training partner. I feel like he'll be a solid 176er in about 2 years.

Yeah you are really hard to toproll, and toproll is all that Luke can do. He also beat Jordan McGuire in IL lefty, and Jordan has beaten Runyon, Bill Brown, me (we're 1-0 in competition, that was 2010), has given Spine a match lefty, and held Fraley for a few seconds in December. I agree that I need to beat Luke. IMO outside of the top 10 I have ranked lefty, the next 7, in no particular order, would be me, Ruiz, McGuire, Stanley, Pappy, Ruzic, and Culpepper.

I did just have surgery on my left, too, in October, so my left wrist isn't as strong as my right. But Yosef couldn't roll me at practice yesterday with either hand. :)

You may just be a beast now. When are you coming back up to MN? And when's your next competition?

I enjoy reading your blog.

Not sure when I'll be back up north. MAYBE (big maybe) this summer. I'll be working, so I'm not sure how that will work out. I had a good time up there and wouldn't mind coming back....something about those peanut butter and egg sandwiches :tongue (those were freaking good btw)

I'll be competing this summer probably Europa, OK state and I'd like to get to one of these Louisiana tournaments but it seems as though my class schedule and gymnastics schedule is conflicting with the dates! I was going to go to New Mexico on the 11th but I have a gymnastics meet. It's very frustrating. I feel like this could be a big year for me, but I can't seem to get time to go to a tournament.

I'm also debating which nationals and if I'm going to nationals. I'm not sure how flexible my employment will be this summer. I'll be competing at something for sure, just not sure what and where.

January 30, 2012

3 hrs gymnastics

Hand:

bent maybe 5 TT, 5 G2 bolts, attempted several old kinked hard 60Ds that had annealed (fails), bent a G2 5/11" carriage bolt (roughly a normal 60D) all DU

Handstand:

1X2 handstand pushups

1X14 handstand pushups

1X12 handstand pushups

Core:

4X30sec L hangs from 3/4" ledge (2 set half crimp, 2 set open hand)

Sledge:

2X50 swings of sledge (remember not hitting anything is MUCH harder...I was doing sets of 200 swings over winter break hitting something)

Getting all kinds of new veins. I have the web on my bicep now and my stomach veins go all the was from my unit to my armpit.

Appears as though the gymnastics meet on the 11th was cancelled. I am trying to hitch a ride to NM with the Houston guys. Hopefully it will work out. Gymnastics really demolishes my elbows...already getting the tendonitis pain back I can't believe it. Rings is terrible on your body (when coupled with armwrestling).

January 31, 2012

Gymnastics for 2 hours. Felt like I was too sore to go so I turned around halfway to the gym....then turned around halfway back and decided I would do full sets on pommels. I went to the gym and nailed two full sets no falls on pommels.

Went over to my girl's place to get my phone charger after the gym. She started talking to me about how gymnastics and armwrestling are going etc. I told her that it was going pretty well, but I'm starting to feel broken down again (elbows, back etc) and that I never seem to find time to ice and do my recovery stuff. She proceeded to give me a back rub and an armwrestler forearm massage fit for a king. If this behavior continues I won't be skipping my post workout recovery anytime soon and I might be able to go back to training 7 days a week :tongue

Hopefully I won't be too sore to hit my full ring sets today. Hoping to do full sets on floor, rings and vault.

Edited by Ivarboneless