Boneless' Bodyweight Training

Ivarboneless

I find the L sits on rings or otherwise to be more difficult. I still feel that injury, which is why I don't do as many reps and instead do isometrics.

Saturday:

Armwrestling practice:

Had practice for 2hrs. Worked tricep press, backpressure and hook defense. Good practice....felt great to be back on the table.

Sunday:

Hand:

abs done from 3/4" ledge

a lot of armwrestling position gripper work (store gripper reps hook position, #1 closes neutral position etc)

armwrestling positions with 2 3/8" PVC

Core:

4X50 hanging leg raises

3X1:00 side hollow holds

2X2:00 arch holds

Leg:

1X25 one leg squats

Tricep:

5X1:00 handstand hold

3X1:00 tricep press isometric

3X3 slow tricep press negative

Hanging leg raises until let are horizontal, right?

Since you're so awesome at pull-ups and you do HLR's.... I just remembered that in a bodyweight forum there was a challenge this month, to do as many reps as possible of this: 1 pull-up, 1 full HLR (toes touching bar). Legs straight I think.

This fellow posted an insane number of reps. He's very good at this bodyweight stuff, crazy endurance too. About a week earlier he posted a video of 19 reps I think. In here he gets 24, almost 25... I find it crazy that he didn't get the last rep AFTER doing a pull-up... I never thought someone would have a failed rep after doing the pull-up! Maybe his grip gave.

I thought you, since you do stuff like 3x30 pull-ups routinely and are now doing hanging leg raises, might give this a shot if it doesn't mess with the rest of your training. If you do it let us know what ya got!

I must confess that I posted my last entry in haste and incorrectly identified the core exercise! I meant hanging tuck ups, 4X50 leg raises would be insane!

Nevertheless, I was intrigued by the video and gave it a shot: 19 reps was my best. The guy in the video is a lot more flexible than me, the leg raises were WEARING ME OUT! That guy is strong. I tried after all my one arm chin work, so maybe I could have done ~25 if I would have been fresh....but I was fresh enough and that exercise kicked my butt.

May 23, 2011

Hand:

1X10 2HP 100lb

2X25 2HP 100lb

Chin/pullup:

3X1 one arm chin (neutral)

1X5 one arm chin (neutral)

1X2 one arm chin (neutral)

5X1 one arm chin (supinated)

2X2 one arm pullup

1X1 one arm pullup

1X19 of that exercise from video

1X15 of that exercise from video

1X30 chinups

Core:

19 and 15 leg raises from video

3X1:00 side hollow

LOL, I was indeed thinking that 4x50 leg raises (and from a 3/4" ledge!) was pretty insane... but from you I'd believe anything. :) Good to know they were tuck-ups.

Anyways, don't get discouraged!! This is why I mentioned that about a week prior to his 24.5 reps video, he posted one of 19 reps! So look how quickly he improved. Supossedly this is a "May" contest so there are like 7 more days. I bet you would do MUCH better in a second attempt not only if you do it fresh, but because you'd be kindof used to the movement from doing it a first time. If you decide to give it another go before the month ends please videotape it :tongue And maybe stretch those hamstrings before trying it?? Could make a huge difference if you felt so tight there!! Some very strong dudes (on the bar) are getting less than you, so you're a beast for getting that score on the first try and after 1-arm chins! :rock

Tuesday:

I forgot exact reps, but it was:

Hand:

extensive grippers in armwrestling position

Tricep:

tricep press isometrics the usual routine (including one arm stuff)

pushups

tricep press isometric negatives 5X5 (brutal)

Core:

hanging tuck ups

Triceps got good and sore from all that.

Wednesday:

Hand:

leg raises done from ledge

3X50 store gripper reps in armwrestling position

2X1:00 store gripper held closed armwrestling position

store gripper reps in hook position

6X10sec #1 held closed armwrestling position (varied between invert and regular)

3X50 gooseneck reps 2 3/8" PVC (neutral)

all chins done from PVC (excluding one arms)

Core:

4X25 hanging leg raises

Chinup/pullup:

1X1 one arm chin (neutral)

1X5 one arm chins(neutral)

2X2 one arm chins slow (neutral)

5X1 one arm chin (supinated)

1X2 one arm pullups

1X3 one arm pullups

3X30 chins (neutral)

Bicep:

5X5 backpressure lift keeping 45 degree angle in arm with 55lb

some hammer curling 50lb

5X1 backpressure lift keeping 45degree angle in arm with 65lb

5X5 hook position lift (weight in hand not on wrist) 65lb keeping 30 degree angle in arm

probably more bicep stuff

All the backpressure stuff is done with a towel draped over my fingers to stress my wrist. I could do more weight if I held it in my hand like a hammer curl with a weight. Also, strictly keeping the arm angle is difficult. Basically what im doing is leaning over so that my forearm is parallel to the ground and my arm is at 45 degrees like this _\ (the most weight from gravity vector) and then standing up KEEPING my arm parallel to the floor...so my arm is not moving at all it's just my legs doing a squatting motion. Same with hook exercise. So I'm feeling the full weight the whole lift at the correct arm angle.

I'm going to go running tonight (Thursday) and then rest Friday. I'm going to Tulsa to visit my family this weekend so I'll hit practice with Geoff Hale while I'm up there. He's been lighting up the 54s lately, I'm interested to see how I stand after being out of the game for so long.

Man, I'm really trying to post in the log again, but it's so difficult to find the time. I'm working 7:30am-5pm at a moving company ie manual labor in the heat-my specialty-and then training when I get home. Going to bed at 10:30pm or 11pm. Doesn't leave much time for much else.

Went to Tulsa. Trained with Geoff Hale. Good training. Great way to get back into the game. Very satisfied with my performance against him especially given the time off. We talked about a possible supermatch (for Geoff) with Hristo from Bulgaria...I think it would be a good match up.

Sunday I ran a mile for the first time in forever. I was shooting for 6 minutes....and failed it. Ran 6:15.08. Oh well. Pretty good for out of shape. I ran another mile Tuesday night and I felt like it was probably under 6 even though I didn't time it. I was feeling it on the 6:15 mile, but Tuesday I felt like I was flying and I ran out the last 400m. Actually felt so good that I ran another 400m after I did the mile.

Tuesday:

Tricep

Wed:

Bicep/pullups/rowed on my brand new rowing machine

My mom, who is pretty overweight, has been hitting me with all kinds of excuses for why she can't lose weight and exercise. She says walking etc hurts her feet, knees etc so I thought about it and I thought "you know what? Rowing would burn hella calories and it's smooth and low impact and involves sitting around....perfect. PLUS if she doesn't use it I certainly will." So, I talked her into it and now we have a rowing machine which so far has been used by yours truly almost exclusively.

I don't know if you've had any experience with being overweight Ivar, I'd say you don't, but from my own personal experience it's roughly ~80% diet. Sure thing it would be a great thing to get a sedentary person moving some! But the biggest results would come from quitting white flour and sugar as a very first step. (Big step, though). Just my $0.02.

No, I don't have experience being overweight; however, I know why I'm in shape: I watch my diet and I exercise. She caves in too easily with her diet. It's hard to stay on a diet if all you're doing is dieting I think. If you're training at the same time I think it's easier to believe in the cause. Her problem is that she will eat healthy all day and then go to a restaurant with my dad for dinner or something of that nature. Eat healthy and then eat ice cream after dinner or something....blows my mind.

I know I haven't been posting. Work and training has been taking up my time. Been in the trenches getting strong. Been alternating pulling and pushing like usual and running three times a week.

The progress:

tricep press isometric 3 sets of 2 reps of 10sec one arm isometric (ie one arm 10sec, switch 10sec, back to first arm with no rest 10sec repeat)

Pushups are now 2X50 instead of 4X25 (50 perfect form as well no head bobbing bullstuff)

working with 80lb for bicep isometric lifts sets of 10, jumping to 100 next workout if I can. Bicep got a lot stronger at isometrics.

Last night I ran a 5:58.11 mile...ie sub six. I knew I could do that. Felt good. I will continue to work it and see what I can do.

Wednesday:

Worked.

Went to friend's house and moved big ass rocks (up to 200lbs weighed on scale)

Tricep:

~5X5 rock benchpress 160lb (weighed on scale) rock

1X1 rock benchpress 200lb rock (weighed on scale)

2X2 tricep press reps

1X1 tricep press rep

5X5 tricep press negatives

3X10 mini reps to 1:00 tricep press isometric

2X50 pushups

3X1:00 handstand

Core:

4X25 leg raises

Hand:

pinch lifted 160lb rock (slight friction assist)

core done from ledge

3X1:00 bent wrist hangs from 2 3/8" PVC

I feel like I'm neglecting my grip stuff a little bit. I'm keeping it armwrestling specific, but I feel like I'm slacking due to lack of time. Probably do sprints tomorrow. I'm keeping the 160 and the 200 rocks to do benchpress with. They are basically big flat rectangles ie pretty symmetrical.

You bench press rocks on a bench? Nice. Maybe you can put them overhead eventually! I can see you doing it, you're strong!!

The 160 and 200lb rocks are flat rectangles that would be super hard to clean due to their size. Hard to put them overhead. However, I put a 145 rock overhead that was more boulder shaped.

My internet was down a few days. Was still training. Pulled my hamstring doing sprints so that put my legs out of business for a while.

Armwrestling Practice Saturday: 3hrs worked mostly hook, but also toproll and press. Felt like a rock. Been training my angles correctly and it felt like it paid off.

Monday:

Hand:

5X5 full range wrist curl 80lbs

5X5 full range armwrestling wrist curl 80lbs

3X10 half range wrist curl 80lbs

3X10 half range armwrestling wrist curl 80lbs

1X15 half range armwrestling wrist curl 80lbs

Core:

3X3:00 side/side/hollow hold each held for 1 minute

Tricep:

4X5 160lb rock benchpress

1X8 160lb rock benchpress

put some rocks overhead

3X3X10sec one arm tricep press isometric

5X5 tricep press full reps

3X1:00 tricep press isometric started with 10 mini reps

2X50 pushups

Also moved hella rocks around ranging from 50lb to 200lb....mostly 120 or more.

Edited by Ivarboneless

Tuesday:

Damnit we had a long day at work. We had a 35,000lbs shipment come in. It was a 10hr day in the warehouse....that will wear you out!

BUT, I'm fired up so I trained hard anyway :D

Hand:

5X5 sledge hammer curls 10lb sledge 20" from head

5X5 sledge rotations 10" from head

2X10 reverse weaver reps 16" from head

2X30sec reverse weaver hold hooked wrist 16" from head

Front Lever:

5X5sec front lever

5X5sec pull straddle lever

Bicep:

1X5 hook lift 50lb

1X1X80lb hook lift

5X1 95lb hook lift

5X5 85lb hook lift

5X5 55lb backpressure lift towel over hand

Core:

5X5 sledge hammer curls 10lb sledge 20" from head

5X5 sledge rotations 10" from head

2X10 reverse weaver reps 16" from head

You're strongar at hammer curling it than reverse weaver? Maybe I'm getting it wrong. What is reverse weaver? The head of the hammer in front of you or behind you? Either way, hammer curling it from 20" from the head is STRONG!

I'm stronger at reverse weavering (head behind you) even though the workout doesn't reflect it. I can rear weaver the whole handle a couple times. I should also note that I measure to the closest part of my hand. So if the handle is 31" and I'm doing it at 20" the rear of my hand is at like 24" so 7" from the bottom.

Wednesday:

Another long day at work.

Hand:

several sets of 10 TNS #1 inverted and regular

3X1 #2 TNS

3X1 Rb240 MMS

5X1 BBSM MMS

some #3 attempts hardest #3 out of 7 that I've tried ie my own 3. Lost the battle this time.

3X10 wrist curl 80lbs

armwrestling grip work

Tricep:

1X3 rock benchpress 200lb rock

3X4 rock benchpress 200lb rock

1X1 rock benchpress 200lb rock

2X5 rock benchpress 160lb rock

5X5 tricep press reps

3X2X10sec one arm arm tricep press isometric

3X1:00 tricep press isometric started with 10 mini reps

2X50 pushups (easy)

Didn't do core and my leg is still jacked up from pulling my hamstring. However, my legs and back got a good workout from hauling the 160 and 200 rocks all over the place.

Feeling strong.

Thursday:

Armwrestling practice 3hrs. Worked mostly hook. Toproll at the end.

Core:

4X25 hanging leg raises from ledge

Saturday:

Went to Paul Knight's place for some grip. Wanted to get my MM0 on my own #3. Ended up closing my 3, but my set was obscured by my hands until it was A HAIR under MMS, so we didn't go for it. Damn. I also lifted a 50lb blob, I can't remember what kind...legacy maybe.

Monday:

Long day at work again.

Hand:

5X1 lift 45 hex

5X1 lift 45 hex last 3 fingers

chinups done from 2 3/8" PVC hooked grip

Chin/pullups:

1X1 one arm chin (N)

1X5 one arm chins (N)

1X4 one arm chins (N)

1X3 one arm chins (S)

1X2 one arm chins (S)

1X3 one arm pullups

1X2 one arm pullups

3X30 chins (1 set in N,S,P)

Bicep:

some warm up sets

3X1 backpressure lift 65lbs

2X5 backpressure lift 65lbs

5X5 backpressure lift 55lbs

5X1 hook lift 95lbs

5X5 hook lift 85lbs

5X1 hook lift 80lbs

Core:

Your dang chinning is beastly as always. Nice that you can close a #3 pretty much on command nowdays, you've come a long way.

I keep hearing from others (with much more experience than I) that gripper closing doesn't have that much carryover to AW. I know you're doing grippers coz you enjoy them but have you considered doing a thickbar move in your routine? I don't see any. Oh, wait, there's the chins, but if you're doing 3x30 I kindof doubt it's too heavy for you???

I once asked Rob Vigeant Jr. and he said he thought thickbar was best for AW too, and he was a grip guy first. He said he still used the RT and lifted less nowdays, but "different". I think he meant he doesn't let his wrist extend while lifting it, which results in less weight but resembles AW more?? No idea. Just sharing this with you in case it can give you ideas for the future. :)

PS: Clean and press the Blob and post a video!! :upsidedwn

I do see gripper carryover in armwrestling...for the flop wrist press. Not a typical move, but in the event that you need to do it (Ron Bath vs Taras Ivakin for example) it helps to be able to squeeze hard in that wrist back position. As you said, I'm doing it because I enjoy doing it.

I also agree with you that thickbar is THE BEST exercise for armwrestling. I do not own an RT or axle so I'm quite a bit limited in what I can do. I often times do one arm hangs from the 2 3/8" spinning PVC (much harder than the RT chin I did)...but haven't done that in the past month.

I can clean and press my 45 hex...but the blob is a bit of a beast for me right now!

Tuesday:

Hand:

2X30sec flat finger hold 45hex longways

2X60 store gripper armwrestling position

2X60 store gripper inverted armwrestling position

6X1:00 store gripper (3/3 inverted and normal) holds in armwrestling position

Core:

Benchpress (shoulder width grip):

1X5X135lbs

1X3X185lbs

5X1X225lbs

4X3X185lbs

1X4X185lbs

Tricep:

3X1:00 start with 10 mini reps tricep press isometric

2X50 pushups

I built a rack for my bench. I'll be benching ever other day now. I couldn't push it too hard because I didn't have a spotter so I didn't go over 225 for singles. Hopefully I can get up to 300lb while keeping my BW down below 165.

My friends came over after I got done benching and we all had a good time benching and BSin...reminds me of high school. Hopefully some of the guys will come lift with me on days that I lift.

Leg is still F'd up from when I pulled my hamstring.

I wish I could bench worth a crap...Oh well. Add in some flat bench DB presses too. By the way, you may want to re-think bench pressing every other day.

All I have are 2 80lb dumbells. I would only be benching twice a week.

Mon: Tricep ie bench

Tues: Pulling muscles

Wed: Tricep ie bench

Thurs: Pulling muscles

Fri: Rest

Sat: armwrestling

Sun: Rest

Repeat probably starting with pulling muscles. Alternating starting the week with pushing and pulling. That's what I've been doing and it has been getting me hella strong fast. That still too many times or not enough rest between?

For the record I wasn't even sore after my Tricep day Tues this week.

Wed:

Hand:

all leg raises from ledge

5X10 45lb rotator lifts

5X10 wrist curl 80lbs

5X10 armwrestling wrist curl 80lbs

Core:

4X25 hanging leg raises

Bicep:

2X5 backpressure lift 50lbs

5X5 backpressure lift 80lbs (normal grip rather than towel over fingers)

5X5 explosive backpressure lift 55lbs

3X1 hook lift 80lbs

5X5 hook lift 90lbs

5X5 explosive hook lift 60lbs

Bench day tomorrow.

I try to do grip every day other than Fri and Sun. Sometimes it's a good workout, sometimes it's just a couple sets.

In case of confusion with my new weight lifting stuff I type my workout as sets X reps X weight.

Thursday:

Hand (NO CHALK):

1X75 pinch passes 2 25lb plates

3X50 pinch passes 2 25lb plates

5X5 plate wrist curls 25lb plate

5X5 armwrestling position plate wrist curls

Benchpress (shoulder width...hands on the edge of the smooth):

5X135lbs

3X185lbs

2X5X135lbs

1X205lbs

1X235lbs......(My current max)

2X1X225lbs

6X2X205lbs

Tricep:

3X1:00 tricep press isometric starting with 10 mini reps

2X50 pushups

Core:

Leg:

Many sets of powercleaning 135lb. Worked on form. Tried to really get my elbows up and squat under the weight. Took some video, it looks a little choppy but I'm pretty happy with the similarity to Olympic lifters with good form.

My benchpress max is 235lbs, my goal is to get that over 250lb before I go back to school in late August. Since this is my 2nd benchpress workout ever...I think that's reasonable. I use good form: controlled lower, touch chest, press up (no spot). I guess I'm following the russian benchpress program that Frank is doing. I liked using heavy weight for no more than 5 reps. I'm not rigidly following that plan, but I'm taking certain aspects of it ie my six sets of 2 with 205lb.

Next time I bench I'll probably go for either 6X4 at 185lb or 6X3 with 195lb...maybe 6X4 with 195 if I'm feeling yak. Perhaps even sets of 3 with 205...which is what I really want to do, but that depends on what the weight feels like.

Went to Ft. Worth to train with Paul Knight.

Armwrestled a bit with the guys. Worked mostly toproll, then at the end I worked on hooking other guys as they tried to toproll. Paul has big potential but Jesus Christ he needs to work on his form.

As is typical I can't really remember all that went on. A ton of grip training. Some highlights:

Lifted 190 RT thumbless RH (185 LH)

Lifted 180 both hands with my thumb

Hula'd two 35lb plates

Strict plate curled a 35lb plate 2 reps (got on video)

Lifted a 50lb york blob both hands

got 5" air under 8lb sledge front levering from end of handle (was tired...WILL get that next time and chump Paul)

I finished up with a ton of RT....and I'm sore as hell today (Sun). Looks like Monday will be my pressing day because my pulling muscles are sore as hell from all that RT.

Monday:

I'm changing my routine. We'll see how I like it this week.

Bodyweight: 159.3lb

Hand:

5X10sec rear weaver isometric armwrestling position 16" from head

Benchpress (index edge of smooth as always...also it's setXrepXweight):

1X5X135lb

1X3X185lb

1X5X135lb

6X3X205lb

Tricep:

Armwrestling:

One hour of tricep press armwrestling practice

Core:

2X3:00 hollow hold

Leg:

sets of jumping on top of my armwrestling table from a stand, all the way over it from a few step run, and jumping on top off of one foot (landing one foot as well) from two steps. Also, I can jump on the roof of my Toyota Corolla from a stand. All this jumping was barefoot ie harder.

My leg appears to finally be healing up. I plan to start running again tomorrow.

Well I made all my sets of three with no liftoff, no spot and no help reracking the weight. 6X3X205lb was difficult. I'm supposed to hit 6X4X205lb next week. I don't know if I can force that out of myself. We'll see. I'm unsure of what to do when I bench on Thursday. I don't know if I should go up heavy again and do singles with 235...or if I should rep 205 again. I'll probably do heavy singles.