Boneless' Bodyweight Training

Ivarboneless

Dec 16, 2011

I'll be doing my landscaping job part time to make some extra cash.

Hand:

2X5 #1 TNS

2X5 #1 TNS inverted

2X1 #2 CCS

2X1 RB 240 MMS

3X1 BBSM MMS

1X1 #3 MMS

4X4 BBSM MMS

1X25 #1 MMS

1X30 #1 MMS inverted

see sledge

Leg:

25 standing back flips

Ran a mile

Sledge:

Swung a sledge for 200 swings each side (left hand base, right hand base)

stretched the full routine.

Dec 17, 2011

worked 8 hrs landscaping

2.5hrs armwrestling practice. worked all moves mostly hook.

stretched full routine twice.

Dec 18, 2011

Feeling pretty sore after practice. Feeling strong though, I feel my muscles filling out already. Eating at least 5 times a day: Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.

Diet on track. Lots of fish and meat. Snacks usually involve cottage cheese and fresh fruit.

BW: 166lb

Stretched whole routine

Swung the sledge for 200 swings each side.

I've been in an emotional funk lately. I started to dislike who I was becoming. The lack of training ie turning my back on my goals and giving up was really starting to bother me. I was staying out late and squandering my dreams....this was tearing me up. I used to be made of something special....of fiber not common to most men and I felt like I was losing it.

I've been going through a renaissance of sorts. I've been getting back to all the things I used to love to do and I'm expanding in areas that I've always wanted to explore.

I'm going to start shooting again like I used to. I spent a long time today practicing field positions with my rifles and I shouldered my winchester model 12 shotgun (12ga) 200 times to get the feel for it again. I'll probably wake up, swing the sledge, practice with my guns, study until 6 and then go to gymnastics practice for the rest of the break.

More venting on this funk to take place tomorrow probably.

Dec 18, 2011

Feeling pretty sore after practice. Feeling strong though, I feel my muscles filling out already. Eating at least 5 times a day: Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.

Diet on track. Lots of fish and meat. Snacks usually involve cottage cheese and fresh fruit.

BW: 166lb

Stretched whole routine

Swung the sledge for 200 swings each side.

I've been in an emotional funk lately. I started to dislike who I was becoming. The lack of training ie turning my back on my goals and giving up was really starting to bother me. I was staying out late and squandering my dreams....this was tearing me up. I used to be made of something special....of fiber not common to most men and I felt like I was losing it.

I've been going through a renaissance of sorts. I've been getting back to all the things I used to love to do and I'm expanding in areas that I've always wanted to explore.

I'm going to start shooting again like I used to. I spent a long time today practicing field positions with my rifles and I shouldered my winchester model 12 shotgun (12ga) 200 times to get the feel for it again. I'll probably wake up, swing the sledge, practice with my guns, study until 6 and then go to gymnastics practice for the rest of the break.

More venting on this funk to take place tomorrow probably.

Good luck on things, we all go through phases and funks...you'll get through it

December 19, 2011

Grippers:

1X5 #1 TNS

1X5 #1 TNS inverted

1X1 #2 TNS

1X1 Hg 300 TNS

1X1 RB 240 MMS

1X1 BBSM MMS

2X1 #3 MMS

2X5 #2 TNS

2X1 HG 300 TNS

1X3 BBSM MMS

1X5 BBSM MMS

Benchpress:

1X5 165lb

1X2 215lb

6X3 225lb

Did more stuff with the guns.

Stretched two full cycles.

December 19, 2011

Did more stuff with the guns.

You mean, like, 17 different BiCeP CuRLiNG variations brah? :grin:

Just glad to see you're still at it.

LOL that was a good one! LMAO Nah, that's for Wednesday :D

December 20, 2011

Ran

Full stretch cycle

Coming up on 2yrs straight of cold showers. Haven't taken a warm shower since Feb 2010.

Dec 21, 2011

Worked full day landscaping.

Hand:

2X25 wrsit curls 80lb

2X25 wrist curls armwrestling position 80lb

all abs were done from a thick bar

Bicep:

2X5 slow and controlled 80lb table curls

2X20 80lb table curls

4X30sec table curl isometric

Chin/pullup:

1X30 neutral grip chins

1X30 chins

1X30 pullups

Core:

4X25 hanging leg raises (toe to bar)

BW: 165lb

Going up to Missouri with Geoff Hale to train with Ryan Clark and hopefully Ethan Fritsche. Hopefully I'll be feeling strong for that!

Awesome workouts.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever do any wrist extensor work?

More curiosity: can you do the strict Toes To Bar...... hanging from only one arm?

I used to do reverse wrist roller, but have since stopped doing it. Extensors also get some work in various feats ie card tearing etc. I also used to do extensor bands. Typically though I don't do any extensors. Many exercises like pinch, sledge front weaver etc work the top of the forearm....though maybe not a complete substitute for extensor work. Don't really have time for it I suppose.

Yes I can do toes to bar from one arm.

Cold showers make you a mean, tough sumbich. To add to the apparent strangeness I also take them in the dark. Every morning cold shower in the dark...almost 2yrs now.

I do squats once in a great while to fool around. Squats aren't very beneficial for my sports (armwrestling and gymnastics). Squats also make me feel like I'm going to die, I much prefer deadlifts and cleans. There can be no disputing their effectiveness for all around strength, but for armwrestling you almost want to be legless and for gymnastics you want explosive legs not necessarily max strength legs.

Dec 22, 2011

Stretched full cycle.

Swung the sledge 250 times each side

Bench:

1X5 135lb

1X5 185lb

1X1 225lb

1X1 245lb (felt good, but decided to rep 225 anyway)

1X4 225lb

1X3 225lb

4X4 225lb

Bent my first horseshoe ever. I will have bruises all over my leg, but I have some twisted metal to boast about now. I texted Paul Knight halfway through lamenting my weakness. I couldn't get it past 90 degrees to save my life. Then, after watching more Eric Milfeld videos I adjusted my technique a bit and bent it the rest of the way. Hopefully when I'm rested I'll smoke it easier than I did.

Surely this isn't all I did! I felt like I was training all day! Oh well...I'm sore anyway. I'm a bit out of shape and can't put out the same work that I used to. Three days of rest for me to soak up this soreness. I will probably run and do some jumping, but nothing waist up.

Dang Ivar, you can do anything I ask about!

I agree that Squats, "the king of mass building", might not be well suited for a lightweight armwrestlers. At the world level these dudes have huge arms, backs, torsos overall... how do they make 154 or 165 pounds while having the upper body of a 220# gym goer? As Ivar said, they're "legless", LOL.

Even if they also help with overall body strength, I think squats would put too much mass on places Ivar doesn't need for AW. I will say, however, that heavy, low-rep deadlifts might not add as much mass as heavy squats while still developing overall body strength and possibly helping AW to a degree. In my humble and newbish opinion it would be a much better choice than squats for him.

However, seeing what this guy is capable of I feel I'm in no possition to give any sort of advice. :-)

I'm in agreement with Arturo. I would also like to point out that pushkar is a superheavy armwrestler which means he doesn't have to worry about a weight class. He can and should do everything in his power to get as big and strong as possible. Squats, bench, eating everything he can find etc are great ideas for him. For an armwrestler in a weight class these things are ill advised.

Dec 26, 2011

Went to train with Kansas City Arms Control ie KC armwrestling team...which really was all of MO armwrestlers. The level of armwrestling that was present was insane.

Armwreslers present: Don Fritsche, Don Underwood, Ethan Fritsche, Bill Logsdon, Ryan Clark, Scott Fleming etc They had several guys who were bull strong but not as well known.

Geoff Hale and I drove up there for practice, so you can add Geoff's name to that list for sure. Not sure if my name is on the level of those guys, but I was there too lol.

Practice:

I was pretty sure I was going to be one of the weakest guys in the room. I was mostly curious to see how I would stack up to Ethan and Geoff. As you guys have seen I haven't been training much lately. It turned out that I actually did pretty well against everyone. I was roughly even with Geoff in a hook lefty (him taking a few pins and me taking a few pins), and sometimes I could press him for a win off the go lefty. In a hook righty Geoff was certainly stronger than me, but he had to work for it a bit which is some major progress on my part...he used to throw me around. Up top either hand was all me. The big test...especially righty is whether I can top roll him if he tries to hook me. I ended up getting a couple successful rolls on him, but for the most part he seemed to be able to hook me. The rolls I got were after I figured out a different grip...but admittedly there may have been some fatigue factor. Who knows.

I was very happy with my performance vs Ethan. Pretty much all my pulling with Ethan and Geoff was fresh vs fresh. I was better than Ethan up top lefty. We were pretty even in a hook lefty he took most of the pins, but I got a couple as well. I didn't mess with his right too much, but when I did I beat him up top once and I tricep pressed him off a slow start (Fritsche'd the Fritsche as I called it lol). I could give him a match in a hook righty, but I never got a pin...he owned that one. And of course his press owned me once he got into it.

Pulled with a lot of the other guys too. I was pretty happy with my performance. I did well vs most everyone. They have a great team up in MO...certainly one of the best in the country.

All that said: Ethan would smack me in a tournament both hands I'm sure. Geoff would smack me righty and we'd be a good match lefty...I think left could go either way. I don't want it to seem like I'm coming on here and saying I think I'm stronger than these guys, merely that I'm getting close to being in the same ballpark. These matches were pretty much fresh vs fresh so I'm getting close...I can hang these guys up in a slow pull.

I'm happy with my performance especially considering the lack of training I've been putting in lately. Soon to be remedied.

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2011

Swung the sledge 250 swings per side.

Core:

5X30sec L sits

Stayed active all day roaming around in the woods and going fishing at night. Funny story: we caught a bass on catfish bait, while fishing on the bottom at 9:00pm at night. Who would have thought?

Dec 28, 2011

Stretched full cycle.

Hand:

2X5 #1 TNS

2X5 #1 TNS inverted

1X1 #2 TNS

2X1 HG 300 TNS

1X5 #2 TNS

1X4 #2 TNS

3X3 #2 TNS

1X30 #1 TNS

1X30 #1 TNS inverted

Bench:

1X5 135lb

1X5 185lb

1X5 135lb

1X1 225lb

1X1 245lb

6X2 245lb

1X5 185lb

Leg:

Ran for 45 mins. Not sure how far. At least 5 miles. Felt like a machine....breezed through it.

Core:

4X25 hanging toe to bar

Dec 29, 2011

Stretched full cycle

My girlfriend came into town to visit. She'll be here for the next four days, so training will likely be of a substandard level. I'm good and sore after armwrestling practice and the week's training, so I can use at least a couple days rest....4 may be too much. However, she likes to sleep in and I always wake up around 7:30-8am....so I may just sneak away and train in the morning while she sleeps.

Well. Failed at the plan. Didn't train at all. However, I feel pretty fresh now. Training hard starting tomorrow. I did manage to stretch a decent amount though.

I did do a bit of bending while she was asleep though. I bent a bunch of timber ties (easy as always) mostly DU but some out in front in what I believe has been called Heslep style (from the G5 vid he did where he bent it out in front).

Most importantly

bent a 60D nail DU....which puts back close to where I used to be....my best bend ever was this galvanized 60D that was WAYYYY harder than the normal 60Ds. Just short of a G5 I believe because I could put a slight wobble in a G5...but not enough.

Finished a cut yellow nail that I wobbled way back when I was 17 or so. Couldn't finish it then, but I guess with all the bench I've been doing my DO has gotten better. I had kinked it DU to an acceptable level to flip and finish DO, but I couldn't get enough juice back then. Finished it now. 4yr bend....that's within the time limit right?

I'll prob bench tonight and bend again. Maybe do another horseshoe. I don't know. I'm in an exceptionally good mood and I'm fresh...so I'll probably put in some serious work on something tonight.

Bodyweight: 162lb

Your 4x25 hanging toes up to bar is NUTS.

I did 3x12 hanging leg raise today, straight legs but I can only get them to parallel with the ground! And that felt hard. I'm working on it though.

I think hanging leg raises are mostly flexibility. To do them you have to be able to touch your face to your knees....this is what gets me. I'm not too flexible (for a gymnast mind you), so this has always been a rough exercise for me. Some of the guys can do sets of 50. Great exercise though once you acquire the flexibility to do it. Keep at it!

Jan 2, 2012

Girlfriend went back home. Got back to training.

Hand:

bent several things including a yellow nail out front heslep style. Also bent another horseshoe.

Bench:

1X10 135lb

1X5 185lb

1X5 135lb

1X1 225lb

6X4 225lb

That's all I could squeeze out. It was freaking cold, so I avoided heavy weights (I train outside). Bending was strong. Particularly happy with that yellow nail out front and the horseshoe was much faster and easier this time.

Will continue to train tomorrow.

Jan 3rd, 2012

Hand:

typical gripper routine. Hit the #3 for a few singles. Did some TNS

did the abs from a ledge as usual

Bicep:

5X10sec hook hold 80lb

2X20 table curls 80lb

One arm Chin:

1X1 one arm chin

1X4 one arm chins

Core:

4X25 hanging leg raises

Leg:

Ran 3 miles. Including a 6min mile.

Stretched full cycle. I feel like I'm finally getting out of this funk. I've been articulating my anguish with a good friend of mine who is equally hardcore as myself (former resident athlete at the Olympic Training Center) and I think I've finally gotten everything off of my chest. It may be premature to assume that all is well, but I have a hunch that I've left the dark times behind me.

Jan 4th, 2012

Hand:

20 lifts of 45 hex (10 3 fingers 10 full hand)

Swung the sledge 200 swings per side as one set (ie 400 total swings) then did a set of 25 each way as hard and fast as possible

Handstand:

1X2 handstand pushups

1X13 handstand pushups

1X12 handstand pushups

1X12 handstand pushups

1X11 handstand pushups

Tricep press:

3X3X10sec one arm tricep press isometric

3X1:00 tricep press isometric

Core:

4X25 hanging leg raises

Handstand pushups felt strong as hell. Hex felt easy.

Jan 5th, 2012

Hand:

3X1 sledge lever to face

3X3 sledge lever to face

3X1 sledge rear weaver

3X10sec sledge rear weaver from 24" or so

some front weavering from 20" or so

Chin/Pullups:

1X1 one arm chin

1X5 one arm chins

1X4 one arm chins

1X30 chins (neutral)

1X30 chins (Supinated)

1X30 pullups

Core:

1X200 legs raised head to knees situps

1X350 legs raised elbows across knees situps

1X300 legs raised elbows across knees situps

1X300 V ups

1X3:30 hollow hold

Leg:

10 40yd sprints.

Workouts are starting to look more like they used to. Some of you might recognize that ab routine as a long lost staple of my training routine (ie every single day). I remember it being a lot easier to do! I was struggling pretty hard to get through it all where it used to be old hat. Felt good to walk in the same shoes again.

Sprints were fast. I was beating my OTC buddy starting about 3yds behind him with him calling the go. Finally my hamstring appears to be 100% again. It took around 6 months for that thing to heal. It was scary coming off the line hard for fear of feeling that thing pop again.

BW: 163.2lb

What's a "hollow hold"?

That ab routine is sick. Were you doing that every day for training as a gymnast, or is that what you feel it takes to have a strong core in general? I've read in your log before that you would put your core to test against almost anyone. I would also like to have such a bulletproof core :)